PDA

View Full Version : Astros name Ed Wade as new GM

fearofpopvol1
09-20-2007, 02:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3029117

Former Philadelphia Phillies general manager Ed Wade is the new general manager in Houston, sources said Thursday.

Wade was in Houston on Thursday. Indications earlier in the day were that while club president Tal Smith apparently had recommended Wade, owner Drayton McLane hadn't made up his mind yet.

By Thursday afternoon, his mind was made up.

According to one baseball man who had been in touch with members of the Astros' organization, Wade was asked Wednesday to fly back to Houston for a second session because McLane needed to determine whether he could develop "a comfort level" with Wade.

Smith, on the other hand, has worked with Wade as far back as the late 1970s, when Wade served as the Astros' public relations director and Smith was the general manager. The two also worked together in the mid-'80s after Smith formed Tal Smith Enterprises, a consulting company which represented numerous teams in contract negotiations and arbitration hearings.

McLane has been widely rumored to have favored Wade's one-time assistant GM in Philadelphia, Ruben Amaro Jr. And indications are that Amaro is the lone other candidate still under consideration. But Wade's experience -- having served as a general manager for eight seasons with the Phillies -- apparently pushed him to the top of the list of 11 candidates interviews over the last two weeks.

Wade, 51, served as GM in Philadelphia from 1998 through the 2005 season. He had spent the previous eight years as assistant GM. After being elevated to the GM job, Wade prioritized the rebuilding of the Phillies' depleted farm system. And virtually the entire nucleus of the Phillies' current team was signed and developed during his tenure.

Wade was fired following the 2005 season after the Phillies failed to reach the playoffs in all eight seasons of his administration. He has spent the last two seasons working as a scout and special assistant to Padres GM Kevin Towers.

Heath
09-20-2007, 02:23 PM
This should be interesting.

oneupper
09-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Any opinions on this?
IIRC, most of the armchair GMs on this board didn't think too highly of Wade.

Or am I wrong?

KronoRed
09-20-2007, 02:41 PM
I think this is good news for the rest of the NL central

RedsManRick
09-20-2007, 02:48 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hmm... maybe that's not very nice. Oh well, :beerme:

BRM
09-20-2007, 02:52 PM

That was my first reaction when I read the thread title.

GAC
09-20-2007, 02:52 PM
It's musical chairs with GM positions anymore anyway.

Fired here....hired there.

Team Clark
09-20-2007, 02:56 PM
It's musical chairs with GM positions anymore anyway.

Fired here....hired there.

Bennett and Amaro Jr. would have been waaay better options. Unfortunately jobs in Baseball are more who you know than "are you qualified"? Just the way it is.

RedsManRick
09-20-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm sure Drayton McLane is happy to have his stooge firmly in place. He's like Steinbrenner with nicer disposition and lesser penchant to opening his wallet.

I find the psychology of it fascinating. Ironically, when they run their baseball teams like they run their other business, they're more successful: Critical strategic approach, bottom-line matters, strong investment in growth, enabled upper management. However, the reason they buy the baseball teams in the first place is as a big toy, not as another job. It's not fun to just buy a toy and hire somebody else to enjoy it, even if you ruin it in the process....

Team Clark
09-20-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm sure Drayton McLane is happy to have his stooge firmly in place. He's like Steinbrenner with nicer disposition and lesser penchant to opening his wallet.

I find the psychology of it fascinating. Ironically, when they run their baseball teams like they run their other business, they're more successful: Critical strategic approach, bottom-line matters, strong investment in growth, enabled upper management. However, the reason they buy the baseball teams in the first place is as a big toy, not as another job. It's not fun to just buy a toy and hire somebody else to enjoy it, even if you ruin it in the process....

Perfect explanation. Word for word. :thumbup:

OnBaseMachine
09-20-2007, 05:40 PM
This is great news for the Reds and the rest of the NL Central. The Astros already have an old team and a horrible farm system in addition to a terrible GM. Don't look for the Astros to do much in the next five years or so.

Cyclone792
09-20-2007, 06:05 PM
Bad players around the majors are rejoicing, because Ed Wade is the kind of guy who likes to hand out lucrative contracts to bad players. David Bell comes to mind as being a potential candidate for President of the Ed Wade Fan Club.

RedsManRick
09-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Curious, who in Philly was responsible for Rollins, Utley, Howard, Myers, Hamels, Victorino, etc? They've been horrible in FA and trades, but have done a pretty good job with the in house talent.

MartyFan
09-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Bennett and Amaro Jr. would have been waaay better options. Unfortunately jobs in Baseball are more who you know than "are you qualified"? Just the way it is.

Welcome to jobs in just about every profession...baseball is a tight knit group, a small fraternity...other industries like Radio, Record Industry and the sort are identical in the way they find "the best candidate".

Cyclone792
09-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Curious, who in Philly was responsible for Rollins, Utley, Howard, Myers, Hamels, Victorino, etc? They've been horrible in FA and trades, but have done a pretty good job with the in house talent.

One guy: Mike Arbuckle

Arbuckle took over as Phillies Director of Scouting in 1992, and then in 2000 he was promoted to Phillies Assistant General Manager, Scouting and Player Development. If you notice where virtually all the talent the Phillies have has come from, it's from the farm system where Arbuckle was the guy working his magic. Mike Arbuckle is a guy that I really wish the Reds had on their side, because he's done nothing short of an outstanding job churning out young talent in Philadelphia.

Ed Wade's tenure in Philadelphia was really rather disappointing. Arbuckle was able to feed Wade a great batch of young talent, and Wade was pretty much set up with an outstanding foundation that should have vaunted the Phillies into very serious playoff/NL Pennant consideration for several seasons.

Instead, Wade had a rather unimpressive return in the Curt Schilling deal (two above average seasons from Vicente Padilla is about all the Phillies received in return), and the Scott Rolen deal was the beginning of an absolute disaster. Wade did receive Placido Polanco in return for Rolen, but then he went and gave Polanco away for Ugueth Urbina and a stiff. Considering that Wade traded away two potential Hall of Famers - one at age 27 and the other at age 33 - and the return was absolutely awful.

Topcat
09-20-2007, 06:41 PM
I love this as a Reds fan thats for dang sure .

Team Clark
09-20-2007, 07:47 PM

Arbuckle took over as Phillies Director of Scouting in 1992, and then in 2000 he was promoted to Phillies Assistant General Manager, Scouting and Player Development. If you notice where virtually all the talent the Phillies have has come from, it's from the farm system where Arbuckle was the guy working his magic. Mike Arbuckle is a guy that I really wish the Reds had on their side, because he's done nothing short of an outstanding job churning out young talent in Philadelphia.

Ed Wade's tenure in Philadelphia was really rather disappointing. Arbuckle was able to feed Wade a great batch of young talent, and Wade was pretty much set up with an outstanding foundation that should have vaunted the Phillies into very serious playoff/NL Pennant consideration for several seasons.

Instead, Wade had a rather unimpressive return in the Curt Schilling deal (two above average seasons from Vicente Padilla is about all the Phillies received in return), and the Scott Rolen deal was the beginning of an absolute disaster. Wade did receive Placido Polanco in return for Rolen, but then he went and gave Polanco away for Ugueth Urbina and a stiff. Considering that Wade traded away two potential Hall of Famers - one at age 27 and the other at age 33 - and the return was absolutely awful.

I talked about Mike Arbuckle on here two years ago and all I heard was how mediocre he was, etc... Mike is a Schuerholz disciple and an EXCELLENT scout. He runs a first class crew in Philly and will be a GM some day.

chicoruiz
09-20-2007, 07:50 PM
"Experience" is certainly a good thing to have, but isn't it kind of better if what you experienced was success?

Team Clark
09-20-2007, 08:12 PM
Welcome to jobs in just about every profession...baseball is a tight knit group, a small fraternity...other industries like Radio, Record Industry and the sort are identical in the way they find "the best candidate".

Truer words have never been spoken. I just spoke with a friend of mine who works(ed) in Baseball. I had spoken with him about a job last year, interviewed for it and they chose a guy that had played in the Big Leagues and had never coached before over me. That happens. No biggie. They gave this particular guy a job at AA. Mind you several of their top hitters were slated to be in AA that year. I told him that this move would cost him his job. My friend laughed and assured me that it wouldn't. I got a better job so it really worked out. No hard feelings.

Come to find out today he was told his contract would not be renewed along with the coach he brought in. (Just two of several moves today) This is a guy coming off a 3 year deal and an Asst. GM title. Each one of their "top hitters" struggled to make adjustments at AA and their team hit like garbage all year. When he called today to see if I had heard of any openings all I could do was laugh back. I said "If you're lucky enough to get another job I guess you will not make that mistake again". He told me the GM fired him because apparently the GM also thought the same as I did and told him if this scenario failed he was "done" along with a few other reasons. Favors and the "buddy system" are one thing but screwing up the development of your players and costing yourself a job is lunacy. Sounds just like the Reds PD dept.

GAC
09-21-2007, 06:03 AM

Exactly. And owners also like to go with that experienced, veteran presence too. ;)

RedsFan75
09-21-2007, 08:30 AM
Got a friend in Philly who told me he now has a new team to hate!

traderumor
09-21-2007, 11:43 AM
This has got to be more personal than a performance based decision. Wade made some very strange moves in Philly, just not a good track record at all. Unless he suddenly had the light come on (doubtful), this is good news indeed for the NL Central rivals.

cincinnati chili
09-21-2007, 08:56 PM

I second this. Under Wade, the Phillies didn't even know what they had in Ryan Howard. As he was breaking Greg Luzinski's minor league homer records, people in the organization were saying things like, "well, the parks were bigger back in Luzinski's day."

Drayton McClain's is the GM of this team. Wade will be the guy who attends GM meetings.

jmcclain19
09-22-2007, 11:13 PM
Phillies Fans loved Ed Wade

http://willdo.philadelphiaweekly.com/archives/101705edwade.jpg

Team Clark
10-24-2008, 02:08 PM

I bring this thread up again because I do not think Mike Arbuckle gets enough credit for drafting high quality players. Granted your entire draft can not be filled with legitimate Major League Prospects but I think he has done one heck of a job. Correction: make that an outstanding job. I can still remember people on this board telling me that Cole Hamels was a Brandon Claussen clone and pitchers like Madson were a dime a dozen. :laugh:

Where would the Phillies be if he were not in charge of the draft?