PDA

View Full Version : Hopper and Keppinger-Everyday Players?

AmarilloRed
09-20-2007, 04:16 PM
CHICAGO - Norris Hopper and Jeff Keppinger have been playing nearly every day. But the thing the Reds have to determine is: Are they everyday players?

"That's something as a group we have to discuss and come to a decision," Reds manager Pete Mackanin said. "(Keppinger) certainly appears to be an everyday player.

"The same thing with Hopper. We wouldn't be where we are without those guys. They've definitely upped their value."

Injuries have opened the way for both, and both have taken advantage. Keppinger went 1-for-3 Wednesday and is hitting .338 with a .403 on-base percentage in 201 at-bats, which is roughly one-third of a season. Hopper had two more hits and is hitting .336 with a .373 on-base percentage over 277 at-bats.

Both have performed well defensively, too.

"They've proven that they deserve to be considered as everyday players," Mackanin said.

That does not mean either will be counted on to start on Opening Day next season. Josh Hamilton is penciled in to be the center fielder next season. Shortstop Alex Gonzalez is signed for two more years.

"It's nice to have five or six players you could consider as everyday outfielders, for example. It's a great situation to be in," Mackanin said.

It also puts the team in a position to trade one of those players. The Reds appear to have an outfield glut for next season - if they pick up Adam Dunn's option.

Dunn, Ken Griffey Jr. and Hamilton would be starters with Hopper and Ryan Freel as backups. Minor-leaguer Jay Bruce also is ready or close to ready.

An interesting article. I thought it was newsworthy that the Reds will discuss after the season whether or not the two of them will continue to play everyday. I know Keppinger and Hopper have their own threads, but I felt this question deserved a seperate thread

RedsMightWin
09-20-2007, 04:51 PM
I hope Petes not our every day manager.

durl
09-20-2007, 05:13 PM
I don't envy Krivsky. He's going to have to make some tough decisions about who stays and who to trade to get pitching. Chances are a lot of people will be ticked off no matter what he does.

ThirdBaseCoach
09-20-2007, 05:45 PM
I hope Petes not our every day manager.

Who would you hire and why?

redsupport
09-20-2007, 05:46 PM
I love this quote
"We wouldn't be where we are without these guys"
Where in fact, are the Reds
No playoff appearances in 12 years

GoReds33
09-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Who would you hire and why?I would hire Lloyd Carr. Just kidding. If I had to hire somebody I would have tried to hire Lou Pinella when he was out of a job. One ESPN they Jayson Stark just said that he thinks that Torre, the Mariners guy, and even Willie Randolph may be out of a job. If Randolph is out there, I would much rather have him.:)

ThirdBaseCoach
09-20-2007, 05:58 PM
I would hire Lloyd Carr. Just kidding. If I had to hire somebody I would have tried to hire Lou Pinella when he was out of a job. One ESPN they Jayson Stark just said that he thinks that Torre, the Mariners guy, and even Willie Randolph may be out of a job. If Randolph is out there, I would much rather have him.:)

Although those are experienced managers, it is highly unlikely that any of them will be available. Name some other candidates that are real possibilities.

RedsMightWin
09-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Who would you hire and why?

Id hire Jerry Narron, he never should have been fired. His actions didn't warrant a firing. After all it was just the players making the mistakes.

:rolleyes:

ThirdBaseCoach
09-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Id hire Jerry Narron, he never should have been fired. His actions didn't warrant a firing. After all it was just the players making the mistakes.

:rolleyes:

Now, RMW, you are just being silly. that's what happens when someone runs out of ideas.

dthomas24
09-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Although those are experienced managers, it is highly unlikely that any of them will be available. Name some other candidates that are real possibilities.

This is turning into a managers thread...but anyway I want a guy like Ron Oester. He was screwed by Bowden years ago and I don't even know if he'd be interested. But I would want someone who isn't afraid to tell it like it is, a guy who will lay into you if you...don't hustle, just for example!;)

I'm sick of the managers around here who just gives you "baseball guy" type quotes, hesitant to make superstars mad, who's afraid to call his players out. I want a guy who will get on the field to back his players (throw a base out into right field if necessary!) This team has had a lazy attitude over the years and I think it goes back to the manager. Somebody needs to get pissed off every once in a while and show that you care.

RedsMightWin
09-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Now, RMW, you are just being silly. that's what happens when someone runs out of ideas.

Id rather have Larussa before Pete. Is that good enough for you?

Larussa has won everywhere. He is a nut case, does a lot of mind boggling things but he wins and thats what I care about. Plus free agents would come play in GABP because Tony is there.

dthomas24
09-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Copied from Lance McCallister's blog
www.1530homer.com

Stynes/Nunnally vs Keppinger/Hopper
I looked up the numbers of Nunnally and Stynes the season they were aquired, and we fell in love with them, and then the next season.
Nunnally and Stynes were aquired in a Royals deal July15, 1997.
Nunnally '97 as a Red: 201 ab's, .318/.400 13 hr's, 35 rbi's
Nunnally '98 as a Red: 174 ab's, .207/.240 7 hr's, 20 rbi's
Stynes '97 as a Red: 198 ab's, .348/.394, 6 hr's, 28 rbi's
Stynes '98 as a Red: 347 ab's, .254/.323, 6 hr's, 27 rbi's
Hopper '07 as a Red: 273 ab's, .333/.403, 0 hr's, 12 rbi's
Keppinger '07 as a Red: 198 ab's, .338/.403, 4 hr's, 28 rbi's

Kind of an interesting thought!

ThirdBaseCoach
09-20-2007, 06:23 PM
Id rather have Larussa before Pete. Is that good enough for you?

Larussa has won everywhere. He is a nut case, does a lot of mind boggling things but he wins and thats what I care about. Plus free agents would come play in GABP because Tony is there.

Why so angry, RMW? Tony is a good choice, if he's available.

He certainly does a lot of mind-boggling things, many you would probably disagree with. But he has won three? series and that's commendable.

Free agents go where they get the most $$$, period.

RedsMightWin
09-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Why so angry, RMW? Tony is a good choice, if he's available.

He certainly does a lot of mind-boggling things, many you would probably disagree with. But he has won three? series and that's commendable.

Free agents go where they get the most $$$, period.

I wouldn't disagree if he landed us some playoff wins. He has prove his craziness to be effective.

Free agents go where the money is but having Tony as the manager would help more than it hurt I'd imagine.

GoReds33
09-20-2007, 10:02 PM
I wouldn't disagree if he landed us some playoff wins. He has prove his craziness to be effective.

Free agents go where the money is but having Tony as the manager would help more than it hurt I'd imagine.It would certainly help. I think he would attract some free agents. It's a matter of us having money left after signing him.

RedsMightWin
09-20-2007, 10:04 PM
It would certainly help. I think he would attract some free agents. It's a matter of us having money left after signing him.

It would be nice to see the reds spend some money, not just spend it but spend it wisely

AmarilloRed
09-21-2007, 02:21 AM
I noticed that both Keppinger and Hopper are pretty old to begin starting their careers. Keppinger is 27, and Hopper is 28. I am not saying they are too old to be everyday players, but it is something to consider

ChatterRed
09-21-2007, 12:10 PM
It's funny to me when people say players are too old to just now make it in the major leagues. Why?

In this day and age of free agency and players changing teams so often, what does it matter? It's very rare that a player will stay with the same team for years.

And this idea that you have to find the 21 to 23 year old phenom is silly to me. I've noticed that WK is digging up guys who have had solid minor league careers, yet may be in their late 20's...........SO WHAT? Maybe they're more mature, more hungry, and more appreciative of the opportunity and will WORK HARDER to stay here?

Plus, a guy in his late 20's is hitting his prime and best years most likely.

Nothing wrong with finding these guys. I'll take him if they produce.

ThirdBaseCoach
09-21-2007, 01:15 PM
It's funny to me when people say players are too old to just now make it in the major leagues. Why?.............

And this idea that you have to find the 21 to 23 year old phenom is silly to me. I've noticed that WK is digging up guys who have had solid minor league careers, yet may be in their late 20's...........SO WHAT? Maybe they're more mature, more hungry, and more appreciative of the opportunity and will WORK HARDER to stay here?

Plus, a guy in his late 20's is hitting his prime and best years most likely............

Well Said!

What's becoming more valuable is maturity; both as a player and a basic human being. I'll take a guy in his late 20's who wants to be there and appreciates the privilege of playing in the Bigs.

Some of these phenom kids don't know what it means to be "hungry" and have to earn a spot. Some expect everything to be handed to them.

AmarilloRed
09-21-2007, 01:26 PM
It simply means their careers may not be as long.Shearn ,Hopper, and Keppinger may be have having good years, but all of them might be having career years.David Ross had a career year last year, and Krivsky gave him a 2 year contract. Norris Hopper has spent 9 years in the minor leagues, and is only now making the major leagues. Keppinger has been in several different organizations. I like all of these players, but because of their age they may have a limited window on how long they will be successful major leaguers. The fact is that a lot of people expect prospects to make the major leagues by 25 or 26. If they do not, they usually are relegated to bench player status. I previously said that all of them could still be starters, but they will need to sustain the consistant production they showed this year.

ChatterRed
09-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Maybe they were previously ready for the big leagues, but the organization they were with, didn't have room for them on their big league roster. Hence, being 27 or 28 instead of 25 or 26.

BLEEDS
09-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Copied from Lance McCallister's blog
www.1530homer.com

Stynes/Nunnally vs Keppinger/Hopper
I looked up the numbers of Nunnally and Stynes the season they were aquired, and we fell in love with them, and then the next season.
Nunnally and Stynes were aquired in a Royals deal July15, 1997.
Nunnally '97 as a Red: 201 ab's, .318/.400 13 hr's, 35 rbi's
Nunnally '98 as a Red: 174 ab's, .207/.240 7 hr's, 20 rbi's
Stynes '97 as a Red: 198 ab's, .348/.394, 6 hr's, 28 rbi's
Stynes '98 as a Red: 347 ab's, .254/.323, 6 hr's, 27 rbi's
Hopper '07 as a Red: 273 ab's, .333/.403, 0 hr's, 12 rbi's
Keppinger '07 as a Red: 198 ab's, .338/.403, 4 hr's, 28 rbi's

Kind of an interesting thought!

Yeah, but Hopper has been doing this CONSISTENTLY for 9 years in the Minors - that GUARANTEES that he is going to go 9 years in the Majors now, at exactly the same pace he has set for his almost full one-half season in the MLB

<insert sarcastic smiley of your choice here>

PEACE

-BLEEDS

UPRedsFan
09-21-2007, 09:12 PM
With Hopper and Keppinger Wayne has almost unlimited ability to make a deal for the highest bidder for pitching. He has 2 options at 3b, 2 at ss, 2 at 2b, 6 outfielders, and 3 or 4 at 1b.

He can pretty much meet any need - any position in a trade and still will be able to field a solid lineup.

gedred69
09-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Maybe they were previously ready for the big leagues, but the organization they were with, didn't have room for them on their big league roster. Hence, being 27 or 28 instead of 25 or 26.

Wish I had entered this thread sooner, but:
I read an article in SI several yrs. ago, involving an interview with J.C. Snead, the successful PGA golfer. He was also a top MLB prospect, hitting .300+ at AA, (maybe AAA)? He was asked why he gave up a promising Baseball career for Golf. His response, because I played with guys who were good enough to star in the big leagues held down by coaches who for any stupid reason didn't give the guy a chance. Didn't like the way he wore his hair, he doesn't pitch the way I want him to, He should hit more HRs, he's got a smart mouth. etc., etc. Snead went on to say that in golf it was you against everyone else that earned their way to the match. I know some guys who played in the Minors, they agreed with Snead's viewpoint, not just for themselves, but guys they played with. Seems that may have something to do with some players' late development. Maybe Hopper was a smart-a--. maybe Shearn didn't pitch like some coach wanted him to. Egos can stymie a lot of potential...