PDA

View Full Version : Bailey to start tonight!!!

BLEEDS
09-20-2007, 07:08 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AnhmTNslMBocy14RKu1ri6.pu7YF?slug=txreds bailey&prov=st&type=lgns

Reds recall RHP Bailey to start vs. Giants

September 20, 2007
SAN FRANCISCO (TICKER) -- The Cincinnati Reds on Thursday recalled righthander Homer Bailey from Class A Sarasota of the Florida State League.

The 21-year-old Bailey, who appeared in six games for Cincinnati from June 8-July 7, will make his seventh start this season vs. the San Francisco Giants on Thursday.

The rookie is 2-2 with a 6.99 ERA in six starts.

RedsMightWin
09-20-2007, 07:11 PM
This isnt anything we didnt know a week ago

GoReds33
09-20-2007, 08:57 PM
This isnt anything we didnt know a week agoYeah. I still can't believe it though. Who would have guessed he would be back up? I thought he was done. I got my wish though. It is gonna be him Vs. Cain. What a matchup.:)

RedsMightWin
09-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Yeah. I still can't believe it though. Who would have guessed he would be back up? I thought he was done. I got my wish though. It is gonna be him Vs. Cain. What a matchup.:)

I got some money on the game so here to hoping he does well

GoReds33
09-20-2007, 09:06 PM
I got some money on the game so here to hoping he does wellI hope you win. Bailey is a beast when healthy. He's gonna need his A game tonight though.:)

RedsMightWin
09-20-2007, 09:08 PM
It wont matter anyways unless the mets decide to stop blowing leads

onefortheroad
09-20-2007, 09:09 PM
The Louisville Bats vs. The Fresno Grizzlies at AT&T Park this evening.

CarolinaRedleg
09-20-2007, 09:57 PM
If there was ever a better team to gain a little confidence against, it's SF. They've scored fewer runs than any team in the NL except for Washington.

Then again, given the Reds' record against the Nattie Lites this season, maybe the Giants aren't such a good barometer.

Degenerate39
09-20-2007, 09:58 PM
I'd really like to see Homer do good tonight. He's going into a pitcher's park so hopefully he'll have a good game

RedsMightWin
09-21-2007, 12:04 AM
I saw him hit 98 on the gun... He was kinda being squeezed by the home plate ump imo but he looked to be comfortable after the 1st inning.

onefortheroad
09-21-2007, 12:09 AM
lol. topped 94mph on game tracker (more accurate). He looked good against the Grizzlies.

RedsMightWin
09-21-2007, 12:13 AM
so he was throwing in the 80s all night?

kyred14
09-21-2007, 12:15 AM
Nice little start there by Bailey. Granted it was against a really bad lineup, but you can't control that. I like Mac getting him outta there, no need to push it in a meaningless game.

BTW, did I just see Ellison hit a home run, like over the fence? :eek:

RedsMightWin
09-21-2007, 12:19 AM
Nice little start there by Bailey. Granted it was against a really bad lineup, but you can't control that. I like Mac getting him outta there, no need to push it in a meaningless game.

BTW, did I just see Ellison hit a home run, like over the fence? :eek:

1st and only time :thumbdown

onefortheroad
09-21-2007, 12:21 AM
most fastballs were 90-93mph. He touched 94 twice. I'm still a little skeptical about handing him a spot in the rotation for 2008. He needs to really earn it in ST.

Krawhitham
09-21-2007, 12:59 AM
He has pitched well every time Javy has caught him

3 GS
3 Wins
1.53 ERA

AmarilloRed
09-21-2007, 01:07 AM
5 2/3 IP, 3 hits, 1 run, 1 earned, 1 walk, and 3 strikeouts. It was good to see him pitch well tonight, and hopefully he can follow up with another good game next time.

Moosie52
09-21-2007, 07:54 AM
The best part is he never panicked. That's maturity we didn't see earlier.

Caveman Techie
09-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Actually the best part for me was this: "He was able to throw his breaking ball and changeup for strikes." That line right there sums up the advancement that Homer has made since he was sent back down.

durl
09-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Actually the best part for me was this: "He was able to throw his breaking ball and changeup for strikes." That line right there sums up the advancement that Homer has made since he was sent back down.

+1

That's what he needs to do in order to earn a spot in the rotation.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
09-21-2007, 09:55 AM
lol. topped 94mph on game tracker (more accurate). He looked good against the Grizzlies.:mooner:

onefortheroad
09-21-2007, 10:10 AM
I'd expect nothing less from a Browns/Buckeye fan. Deal with the idiots all day long.

AmarilloRed
09-21-2007, 01:00 PM
SAN FRANCISCO - Homer Bailey’s return to the Reds was pretty darned impressive, thank you.

Bailey went 5 2/3 innings and allowed one run on three hits to beat the San Francisco Giants 4-2 Thursday night before a crowd of 35,019 at AT&T Park. He walked one and struck out three.

Bailey was not facing Barry Bonds’ Giants. The San Francisco lineup included Rajai Davis, Eugenio Velez, Nate Schierholtz, Kevin Frandson and Guillermo Rodriguez

“He wasn’t facing Bonds and (Omar) Vizquel and the rest of the boys,” Reds manager Pete Mackanin said. “But he showed pretty good command of his fastball and his breaking ball. He looked like he waws confident. We were very happy with what we saw coming out of his hand.”

Bailey improved to 3-2 and looked very much like the pitcher he was before a groin injury derailed his season. His velocity was consistently at 94. He hit 96 several times and 97 once.

“I didn’t check to see what my velocity was,” Bailey said. “I felt healthy.”

Bailey’s control was top-notch – 51 of 80 his pitches were strikes. He was able to throw his breaking ball and changeup for strikes.

“He looked ‘pitcherish, pitcheresque' maybe,’” Mackanin said. “I was very happy with what I saw. It bodes well for the rest of the season.”

It was Bailey’s first start for the Reds since July 7. It was his first game action since a rehab start for Single-A Sarasota on Aug. 30. He threw 90 pitches in a simulated game five days ago in Sarasota.

He was somewhat in limbo.

“They were playing it by ear,” he said, “seeing how the simulated games went.”

Bailey said he’s been healthy for a couple of weeks.

“I was down there beating my brains in,” he said. “Just to make it back up and start off with a win is nice. I’m just trying to finish on good note.”

Aside from a bit of a shaky first, he was almost perfect Thursday. He retired 15 in a row before giving up a double to final hitter he faced.

In the first, Bailey gave up a one-out single Velez and walked Randy Winn. An out later, Schierholtz grounded one just out of the reach of shortstop Jeff Keppinger.

The Reds took the lead in the fifth. Buck Coats walked. He was erased when Bailey bunted into a fielder’s choice. Norris Hopper followed with his third straight hit. Bailey and Hopper moved up on a wild pitch. Keppinger got them both in with a single off second baseman Velez’s glove.

Bailey was pulled after giving up a double to Winn with two outs in the sixth.

“We took him out after 80 pitches there because – although he has thrown 90 pitches -- it wasn’t against real competition,” Mackanin said. “We wanted to get him out on a positive note.”

Bill Bray came in and retired pinch-hitter Rich Aurilia to strand Winn.

The big thing for Bailey is he’s healthy. He tried to pitch through the groin problem. He said he originally hurt it on June 26 in Philadelphia. He made four starts after that – two for the Reds and two for Louisville – before going on the disabled list.

“You want to be out there,” Bailey said. “But once it gets to a point, you’ve got to start using your noggin. It’s good to be healthy and get back with the team.”

One question I have about this article is the fact that he was hurt on June 26th in Philadelphia. Why didn't he tell the Reds about the injury at the time, and continue to try and pitch hurt? I suppose his excitement at being in the major leagues overrode his common sense, and he tried to play through the pain. Let's hope he learned his lesson, and will show better judgement next year.

GoReds33
09-21-2007, 03:58 PM
I don't care who in the world Bailey faces up here. He stunk during his rehab. I don't know how in the world he pulled this one out. Needless to say the competition up here is 100 times better than the low minor leagues.

mole44
09-21-2007, 04:30 PM
I'd expect nothing less from a Browns/Buckeye fan. Deal with the idiots all day long.
http://www.fmvperformance.com/forum_items/Smileys/default/blitz.gif

RedsMightWin
09-21-2007, 04:44 PM
I don't care who in the world Bailey faces up here. He stunk during his rehab. I don't know how in the world he pulled this one out. Needless to say the competition up here is 100 times better than the low minor leagues.

Yea he might of had some rust on him or something but im not crowning him king yet.

All prospects have trouble, he did show a lot of improvement though.

SMcGavin
09-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Homer located the curveball very impressively last night. Had retired 14 straight batters before he gave up the double and got pulled. Yes the Giants lineup sucked, but 14 straight is pretty good. If he can throw the curve like that consistently, he will find success.

Due to our situation at SP I would be pretty suprised if he didn't come out of spring as a member of the rotation. I could deal with Harang-Arroyo-Belisle-Bailey-NewGuy, with Cueto as a candidate for a midseason call-up.

Screwball
09-21-2007, 07:36 PM
Homer located the curveball very impressively last night. Had retired 14 straight batters before he gave up the double and got pulled. Yes the Giants lineup sucked, but 14 straight is pretty good. If he can throw the curve like that consistently, he will find success.

Agreed. What's so exciting is that this kid is still only 21. Give him a couple years to really develop that nasty curve and change-up, and we'll have one of the better rotations in baseball (Harang, Bailey, Arroyo) with recently crowned "best pitching prospect in baseball" Johnn Cueto making the rotation even stronger.

AmarilloRed
09-22-2007, 02:41 AM
Agreed. What's so exciting is that this kid is still only 21. Give him a couple years to really develop that nasty curve and change-up, and we'll have one of the better rotations in baseball (Harang, Bailey, Arroyo) with recently crowned "best pitching prospect in baseball" Johnny Cueto making the rotation even stronger.

Do you think he will start next year in AAA or Cincinnati? From the tone of your statement it seemed you thought he might need a couple of years in the minors to develop his off-speed stuff.

Screwball
09-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Do you think he will start next year in AAA or Cincinnati? From the tone of your statement it seemed you thought he might need a couple of years in the minors to develop his off-speed stuff.

I think he'll start the year in Cincinnati. IMO, there are too big of gaping holes in the rotation for Bailey to spend more time in AAA.

I also didn't want to sound like I was being overly critical of HB either. I just wanted to point out that in a couple years, should he continue to progress with his command and control of his offspeed pitches, he'll be a serious force to be reckoned with.

RedsMightWin
09-22-2007, 11:14 PM
:edit:

NVM

AmarilloRed
09-23-2007, 01:27 AM
One day after naming the Reds rotation for the final week of the season, Pete Mackanin altered it so that rookie Homer Bailey would get two more starts instead of one. Bailey will pitch Tuesday vs. the Astros instead of Tom Shearn, who was swapped to Wednesday.

Good news to hear. I am glad he will get 3 starts in September