PDA

View Full Version : Across The Universe

GAC
09-21-2007, 05:42 PM
The movie opens today. My 16 yr old daughter wants to go see it, so we might check it out tommorrow. I've read several reviews. Some very good, and some not so good.

One critic said... "Since the film is really an excuse to listen to the Beatles, you'd be better served simply pulling out the old albums or putting your Beatles' mp3 or CDs in a playlist on shuffle."

But I thought the funniest one was where the critic used a Beatle lyric to rate the movie....

"I saw a film today, oh boy" :lol:

I don't listen to critics anyhow. ;)

MrCinatit
09-21-2007, 07:36 PM
I probably will not be seeing this in theaters, simply because I don't think there is any way the cinema in Piqua will bring it - Across The Universe is not mainstream enough.
But, I will be seeing it sometime. Hey...it's a salute to the Beatles.

On the other hand, I also have fears of it being a salute akin to the Bee Gee's Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

redsfanmia
09-21-2007, 08:29 PM
[QUOTE=MrCinatit;1468755

On the other hand, I also have fears of it being a salute akin to the Bee Gee's Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.[/QUOTE]

How could you not love that movie? Frampton as Billy Shears was brilliant IMO.

pedro
09-21-2007, 08:36 PM
I think it looks pretty good GAC.

Here's a link to the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ6d3m-GFyw

redsfanmia
09-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Oprah liked it and I take all of my cues from her!!!!!!

GAC
09-22-2007, 06:37 AM
I probably will not be seeing this in theaters, simply because I don't think there is any way the cinema in Piqua will bring it - Across The Universe is not mainstream enough.
But, I will be seeing it sometime. Hey...it's a salute to the Beatles.

On the other hand, I also have fears of it being a salute akin to the Bee Gee's Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

The Beatle's music is just the backdrop to the storyline of this young couple, and their friends, living in the ever-changing and turbulent 60's, and how, as they grow up and go their separate ways those times affect them. And there are some surreal scenes also mixed in.

MrCinatit
09-22-2007, 07:19 AM
The Beatle's music is just the backdrop to the storyline of this young couple, and their friends, living in the ever-changing and turbulent 60's, and how, as they grow up and go their separate ways those times affect them. And there are some surreal scenes also mixed in.

That's the impression I have gotten, yes - in addition to the characters taking their names from Beatles songs.

Redsfaithful
09-23-2007, 12:19 AM
I bought the soundtrack, a lot of the covers are pretty good I thought. Might go see it, not sure.

savafan
10-05-2007, 04:45 AM
What happened to this movie? It was supposed to come out like two weeks ago, and my girlfriend and I were planning on seeing it on Saturday, but can't find it playing at a single theater...

MrCinatit
10-05-2007, 07:57 AM
It would seem the movie has bombed a bit - a bit under 3 million its first week.
If I am reading this right, according to IMDB, there are two theaters total still showing the movie in Ohio...both in Columbus (the information could be way off, though).
Looks like I will be grabbing this on DVD.

Falls City Beer
10-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Oprah liked it and I take all of my cues from her!!!!!!

Good man.

BuckeyeRed27
10-05-2007, 02:18 PM
I think its only playing in about 300 theatres nation wide, but it has a very high per theatre average.
I saw it about 3 weeks ago and really liked it. It gets a little crazy in the middle, but the covers are really well done and its just an overall entertaining movie.
If you get a chance you should see it.