PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Wiffle Ball Pitcher

HumnHilghtFreel
09-21-2007, 06:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_rslXAXE6Y

If only he could do this when the ball doesn't have holes in it.

redsmetz
09-21-2007, 06:16 PM
I just forwarded that to my son and my brother-in-law. First question is, where do you get one of those strike zone stands? We always play wiffle ball at my wife's folks out in Missouri. My brother in law is good, but not that good.

Degenerate39
09-21-2007, 06:23 PM
The Dice-K of Wiffle Ball.

redsfanmia
09-21-2007, 08:53 PM
I would so take that deep.

redsfanmia
09-21-2007, 09:00 PM
I just forwarded that to my son and my brother-in-law. First question is, where do you get one of those strike zone stands? We always play wiffle ball at my wife's folks out in Missouri. My brother in law is good, but not that good.

That just looks like some plastic plumbers pipe, Im sure its homemade.

Matt700wlw
09-22-2007, 12:10 AM
Was that a Gyro ball?

Johnny Footstool
09-22-2007, 01:43 AM
Meh. His mechanics are all goofy, plus he looks too short. I'd never draft him.

KronoRed
09-22-2007, 01:47 AM
Now that is a juiced ball

cincinnati chili
09-22-2007, 02:33 AM
I'm no doctor, but that can't be good for your arm.

GAC
09-22-2007, 05:16 AM
Meh. His mechanics are all goofy, plus he looks too short. I'd never draft him.

The Scott Williamson of wiffle ball who is soon due for Tommy John surgery. ;)

My brothers and I use to play alot of wiffle ball in our backyard, but we got hooked on a different backyard game we thought up that used those small wooden "display" bats that teams would occassionally give out to fans, and using those small, plastic golf balls w/ the holes. We played it for years and I really do think it's what helped us improved our mechanics and eye coordination for when we played in the summer leagues.

WebScorpion
09-24-2007, 11:26 PM
I had to laugh out loud at some of those wiffle ball hitters. The word dumbfounded came to mind... :laugh:

pedro
09-25-2007, 12:27 AM

My brothers and I use to play alot of wiffle ball in our backyard, but we got hooked on a different backyard game we thought up that used those small wooden "display" bats that teams would occassionally give out to fans, and using those small, plastic golf balls w/ the holes. We played it for years and I really do think it's what helped us improved our mechanics and eye coordination for when we played in the summer leagues.

WOY and I used to play wiffle ball in our backyard where the fence was basically at the pitcher's back and there were different values for each hit and no running involved. We threw hard and each had several pitches. At one time I probably had 4-5 different types of curves. Now we weren't as consistent or quite as fast as the guy in the video but the movement was pretty comparable.

Last time I tried to throw one I thought my arm was going to fall off after about 5 minutes.

RANDY IN INDY
09-25-2007, 07:04 AM

And here I thought we were the only ones to do that! Spent hours doing that, GAC. It really helps hand eye coordination.

redsmetz
09-25-2007, 07:39 AM
That just looks like some plastic plumbers pipe, Im sure its homemade.

My family starting just putting a lawn chair behind the plate. If it hit the seat back, it was a strike.

GAC
09-25-2007, 08:48 AM
WOY and I used to play wiffle ball in our backyard where the fence was basically at the pitcher's back and there were different values for each hit and no running involved. We threw hard and each had several pitches. At one time I probably had 4-5 different types of curves. Now we weren't as consistent or quite as fast as the guy in the video but the movement was pretty comparable.

Last time I tried to throw one I thought my arm was going to fall off after about 5 minutes.

And here I thought we were the only ones to do that! Spent hours doing that, GAC. It really helps hand eye coordination.

Yep. Back before there was a thing called video games, the internet, and cable TV, kids use to have to be inventive and play outside.

And we use to come up with some really inventive rules in order to make it more harder and competitive. If you could only round up enough kids in the neighborhood to have 3-man teams then the pitcher was the 1Bman. If you batted LH'd (which my brother did) then you couldn't hit it to right field. Only to left or center. And it was the same for a RH'd batter.

And did any of you guys use "ghost runners" if you got on base and due to the shortage of players? :lol:

I know our Mom use to give us alot of heck because of all the grass we were killing and the paths we were wearing out in the backyard.

RANDY IN INDY
09-25-2007, 12:28 PM
I got in trouble one time for lining my backyard field with all my mom's Martha White flour. No biscuits for me for a while.:lol:

pedro
09-25-2007, 01:00 PM
atter.

And did any of you guys use "ghost runners" if you got on base and due to the shortage of players? :lol:

woy and I played 1 on 1 with all "ghost runners". runners had to be forced in IIRC.

we also got in trouble once for taking some silk covered round christmas ornaments and stripping them of the silk and using the hard plastic core as wiffle balls. they were hard and hurt like heck if they hit you and being that they had no holes in them they acted like knuckleballs.. you never knew where they were going.

klw
09-25-2007, 02:27 PM
uniforms? fans? them folks take their wiffle ball very seriously!

The Cowboy
09-25-2007, 02:35 PM
My family starting just putting a lawn chair behind the plate. If it hit the seat back, it was a strike.

Thats how we do it i also play one on one with my lil bro, its pretty fun.. i throw those pitches to my family when we play but not like he does.. anyway.. they say i cheat so im not allowed pitching like that to em.. its b.s.

SunDeck
09-25-2007, 04:57 PM
And we use to come up with some really inventive rules in order to make it more harder and competitive. If you could only round up enough kids in the neighborhood to have 3-man teams then the pitcher was the 1Bman. If you batted LH'd (which my brother did) then you couldn't hit it to right field. Only to left or center. And it was the same for a RH'd batter.

Yep, we did all those things. Here's what I want to know- how did we all come up with the same rules? Right field was out, pitchers mound was 1b, ghost runners always advanced the same amount of bases as the real runner...as far as I remember these rules just existed, handed down from big brothers to little brothers.

I just remembered a rule that I actually made up. The lady next door to the yard we played in had a dog and there were piles of poop all over the yard. If your ball went over the fence and into a pile it was a ground rule double. That way, we could stop play, suit up with our rubber gloves and hose the ball off.

GAC
09-25-2007, 09:13 PM
Yep, we did all those things. Here's what I want to know- how did we all come up with the same rules? Right field was out, pitchers mound was 1b, ghost runners always advanced the same amount of bases as the real runner...as far as I remember these rules just existed, handed down from big brothers to little brothers.

Kids had to be inventive. Especially when you didn't have enough players.

I just remembered a rule that I actually made up. The lady next door to the yard we played in had a dog and there were piles of poop all over the yard. If your ball went over the fence and into a pile it was a ground rule double. That way, we could stop play, suit up with our rubber gloves and hose the ball off.

In our first home we had the same situation. Only we didn't have to worry about poop as much as dog bites. This dog was downright mean. We tried to position our playing field, and make it a rule.... DON'T HIT IT INTO THAT YARD!

Sadly enough, balls found there way over there. You then either suspended the game, or found a kid who was fast enough (and dumb enough) to go over that chainlink fence and retrieve the ball.

I got ankle bit a couple of times! :lol:

GoReds33
09-25-2007, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE=GAC;1470435]
QUOTE]
When I played we always ended up using ghost runners. That really took some of the fun out of it, but you gotta do what you gotta do.:)

GoReds33
09-25-2007, 09:19 PM
We always used ghost runners. That took some fun out of it, but you gotta do what you gotta do.:)

George Foster
09-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Me and my brother played hours of wiffle ball growing up. We had an above ground pool that was fenced in. If you hit it over the fence...home run. If you hit it in the pool, it was like Atlanta Fulton Co. Stadium...REMBER THAT?? We used electical tape to tape up the entire bat to make it a little heavier...thus the wiffle ball went further. I mowed the infield lower with a push mower. God how I miss those summer days. You never see kids just playing ball in yards anymore. Real shame.

I played in a wiffle ball league in college. It was awsome. It was in a warehouse. We had astro turf. and a "green monster" in left field. We had paid umpires. Great fun. I would play in one now if there was one.

Thank-you for this thread....it brought back a lot of great memories.:thumbup:

AccordinglyReds
09-27-2007, 05:22 PM
We always used ghost runners. That took some fun out of it, but you gotta do what you gotta do.:)

That, and Home Run Derby (with tennis balls) in the backyard were so much fun. :)