PDA

View Full Version : Bonds says Giants are letting him go

Mainspark
09-21-2007, 07:06 PM
Bonds posts online farewell message to Giants fans, says team letting him go
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Barry Bonds was told by the San Francisco Giants that he won’t play for them in 2008, he said on his Web site Friday.
But baseball’s all-time home leader said he planned on playing somewhere next season.
In a statement, Bonds said: “This journal will be one of my last entries as a San Francisco Giant. Yesterday, I was told by the Giants that they will not be bringing me back for the 2008 season.”
The Giants planned a news conference for 5 p.m. PDT.
The 43-year-old Bonds, who spent the past 15 seasons of his 22-year big league career with the Giants, broke Hank Aaron’s record with his 756th home run on Aug. 7. He received a $15.8 million, one-year contract for this season.
Bonds has hit 28 homers this season, raising his career total to 762. The left fielder is batting .279 with 66 RBIs.
Despite Bonds’ personal achievements, the season has been a disappointing one for the Giants, who are mired deep in last place in the NL West. Bonds has also been plagued by personal controversy, including a federal perjury investigation and long-standing allegations that he used performance-enhancing drugs.
In his statement, Bonds said he believes the Giants made the decision long ago not to bring him back for next season.
“Although I am disappointed, I’ve always said baseball is a business, and I respect their decision,” Bonds said. “However, I am saddened and upset that I was not given an earlier opportunity to properly say goodbye to you, my fans, and celebrate with the city throughout the season as I truly believe this was not a last-minute decision by the Giants, but one that was made some time ago.”
Bonds had said he wanted to finish his career in the comfort of his hometown, where his father, Bobby, played alongside his godfather, Willie Mays.
“I would have loved nothing more than to retire as a Giant in the place where I call home and have shared so many momentous moments with all of you, but there is more baseball in me and I plan on continuing my career. My quest for a World Series ring continues,” he said.

09-21-2007, 07:58 PM
That's touching, eloquent, and somewhat sensitive. Wonder who wrote it?

Matt700wlw
09-21-2007, 08:07 PM
So, The Giants just used Bonds to sell tickets??

I'm shocked...

Red in Chicago
09-21-2007, 10:26 PM
So what AL team signs this guy?

Matt700wlw
09-21-2007, 10:30 PM
ESPN will ride this story to death..."Bonds Watch"

Chip R
09-21-2007, 11:23 PM

If the price is right, the A's.

KronoRed
09-22-2007, 01:04 AM
I hope it's the yanks, would make thinks easy having my most hated player on my most hated team :D

RedsBaron
09-22-2007, 07:13 AM
B*nds will be a free agent. If properly saying goodbye to Giants fans was really all that important to him, B*nds could offer to re-sign with the Giants at a greatly reduced salary. B*nds will go to wherever he can get the biggest paycheck.

mth123
09-22-2007, 07:25 AM
B*nds will be a free agent. If properly saying goodbye to Giants fans was really all that important to him, B*nds could offer to re-sign with the Giants at a greatly reduced salary. B*nds will go to wherever he can get the biggest paycheck.

I'm guessing Fukuoka Dae Hawks or Yomiuri Giants. Hopefully Mike Stanton goes with him.

RedFanAlways1966
09-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Marty says during Saturday's broadcast (according to sources) that Barry will not take less than $12 million next year. Most interested teams (not considering the $12 mill) are the Orioles and Rangers.

Marty says while laughing that if Barry is serious about the $12 million, then he might as well enjoy retirement.

Johnny Footstool
09-23-2007, 02:12 AM
If the price is right, the A's.

Absolutely.

Bonds won't have to relocate, so his dealers won't have to find new ways of getting his HGH to him.

Allegedly.

Big Klu
09-23-2007, 04:37 PM

I think it will be the Angels.

Chip R
09-23-2007, 06:16 PM
I think it will be the Angels.

I didn't know Bonds was Hispanic. ;)

Another team I thought of may be DET. They need a LH bat and he has been with Leyland before.

alexad
09-23-2007, 06:22 PM
I didn't know Bonds was Hispanic. ;)

Another team I thought of may be DET. They need a LH bat and he has been with Leyland before.

Very good point. With Shef probably gone, Bonds would fit Detroit. Homeruns might be harder to hit there, but Leyland would know how to handle him.

cincinnati chili
09-25-2007, 01:07 PM
I'm very curious where Bonds will end up. With increased MLB shared revenues over the last couple years everybody has money, even the smaller market teams.

I also think Marty is crazy to say he's going to get less than $12 million, unless Marty knows he'll be imprisoned without bail or something.

I think bidders will include Anaheim (current DH is Juan Rivera), Baltimore (Aubrey Huff can move from DH to LF), Detroit (Casey gone, Sheffield DH to 1B), Yankees (Giambi to 1B, Bonds to DH), Oakland (cust to LF full time, Bonds to DH), Seattle (push Jose Vidro off a cliff), Texas (numerous ways to move guys around to stick him at DH)

Longshots include Boston (Lowell gone, Youkilis to 3rd base, Ortiz from DH to 1B), Kansas City (don't laugh - they've played .500 ball siince the all-star break; they have a young team with good players; DH Mike Sweeney's contract is expiring), Minnesota (if they can't agree to terms with Torii Hunter, they can go get a great-glove-no-hit CF for cheap, put Bonds at DH and move Kubel to LF).

Even assuming a couple owners stay out of the bidding on moral grounds (e.g. Moreno seemed pretty sore about the Gary Matthews steroid implications), I think there will easily be enough competitive bidding for Bonds to net one-year in excess of $15 million.

pedro
09-25-2007, 01:10 PM
I'm very curious where Bonds will end up. With increased MLB shared revenues over the last couple years everybody has money, even the smaller market teams.

I also think Marty is crazy to say he's going to get less than $12 million, unless Marty knows he'll be imprisoned without bail or something.

I think bidders will include Anaheim (current DH is Juan Rivera), Baltimore (Aubrey Huff can move from DH to LF), Detroit (Casey gone, Sheffield DH to 1B), Yankees (Giambi to 1B, Bonds to DH), Oakland (cust to LF full time, Bonds to DH), Seattle (push Jose Vidro off a cliff), Texas (numerous ways to move guys around to stick him at DH)

Longshots include Boston (Lowell gone, Youkilis to 3rd base, Ortiz from DH to 1B), Kansas City (don't laugh - they've played .500 ball siince the all-star break; they have a young team with good players; DH Mike Sweeney's contract is expiring), Minnesota (if they can't agree to terms with Torii Hunter, they can go get a great-glove-no-hit CF for cheap, put Bonds at DH and move Kubel to LF).

Even assuming a couple owners stay out of the bidding on moral grounds (e.g. Moreno seemed pretty sore about the Gary Matthews steroid implications), I think there will easily be enough competitive bidding for Bonds to net one-year in excess of $15 million.

Steve Phillips said last night he thought the possibilities were Oakland, Seattle and Detroit in that order.

Roy Tucker
09-25-2007, 01:19 PM
I don't doubt that Bonds will hit at a high level.

It's more a matter of can he stay healthy enough to get $12-15M worth of production from.

cincinnati chili
09-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Guys react differently to DHing every day. He might still have the injury problems he's had in San Francisco, or this might solve everything.

Personally, from a marketing standpoint, I wouldn't touch the guy. But I think there will be enough actors in the market who think he's the difference between making the playoffs or not... or winning it all or not.

Chip R
09-25-2007, 01:46 PM
I'd say OAK is the odds on favorite if they can afford him. The A's have never shied away from guys with "performance enhancing" issues and Bonds could basically stay home. It would be a tweak on the nose to the Giants and the A's would get a little more publicity out of it as well. After that, I'd say DET because of their need for a LH hitter and Bonds relationship with Leyland. After that, who knows?

cincinnati chili
09-25-2007, 01:56 PM
I'd say OAK is the odds on favorite if they can afford him. The A's have never shied away from guys with "performance enhancing" issues and Bonds could basically stay home. It would be a tweak on the nose to the Giants and the A's would get a little more publicity out of it as well. After that, I'd say DET because of their need for a LH hitter and Bonds relationship with Leyland. After that, who knows?

Guys like Giambi and Durazo were RUMORED to be on steroids at the time they were A's, but it wasn't confirmed at the time. In this case, Billy Beane would have to look season ticket holders in the eye and explain to them why they brought in a guy who's all but a confirmed user.

Plus, Giambi was an affable guy. Bonds is not. Bonds had a "Milo" hung on him years ago.

I agree with you that the A's are a candidate in this, but they also must (and will) consider the negatives of this.

Roy Tucker
09-25-2007, 02:02 PM
So, how would people react if he came to the Reds?

My m-i-l asked me if I thought the Reds might sign Bonds and my reaction almost caused me to run the car off the road.

Not to mention its a horrible fit and the Reds have neither the position to put him nor the money and inclination to sign him, but I might stop being a Reds fan if they signed Bonds.

Chip R
09-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Guys like Giambi and Durazo were RUMORED to be on steroids at the time they were A's, but it wasn't confirmed at the time. In this case, Billy Beane would have to look season ticket holders in the eye and explain to them why they brought in a guy who's all but a confirmed user.

Plus, Giambi was an affable guy. Bonds is not. Bonds had a "Milo" hung on him years ago.

I agree with you that the A's are a candidate in this, but they also must (and will) consider the negatives of this.

You forgot McGwire, Canseco and the other Giambi as well. Now I know they didn't all happen on Beane's watch but it seems like the organization has condoned, if not encouraged, PEDs in the past. Maybe they still do. Bonds has never failed a drug test and his attributes may outweigh any "Milo" tags placed on him. As for the fans, they won't give a rat's behind what he's taken or takes if he's on their team. Like Seinfeld says, we root for laundry and as long as Bonds is in the green and gold of the A's and hitting HRs, they'll treat him as well as SF fans have. I think the only roadblock is financial.

cincinnati chili
09-25-2007, 02:45 PM
As for the fans, they won't give a rat's behind what he's taken or takes if he's on their team. Like Seinfeld says, we root for laundry and as long as Bonds is in the green and gold of the A's and hitting HRs, they'll treat him as well as SF fans have. I think the only roadblock is financial.

I think a vocal minority of fans do care, and many of them come from the strata of society that can afford season tickets (e.g. upper-middle class soccer moms, etc).

There are still plenty of families who are on the verge of being able to afford season tickets. Perhaps, it's irresponsible for them to do so, but they go ahead and bite the bullet, because they have some mythologized idea that the players are decent role models for their kids, that going to a game is good, family fun, etc.

Make no mistake about it, the A's signing Bonds would lose them SOME fans. The question is how many and how many would be offset by the fans gained.

As the A's have a new stadium on the horizon (meaning, they'll need to sell club seats, luxury boxes, pricier season tickets, etc), it's particularly important for them not to taint their legacy. If they can bring in a guy with less baggage than Bonds, and achieve the same or better results, they'll do that.

Not to change the subject, but imagine we were talking about Michael Vick and not Barry Bonds. Imagine Vick gets only a year of prison, and a year from now the San Fran 49ers are merely "one quarterback away" from being a top NFL team. I guarantee you that it would be organizational suicide for them to sign Vick. It would offend such a large portion of their demographic that even a superbowl championship couldn't offset the damage to their brand.

Bonds does not offend at the rate of Vick, but his baggage must be considered.

Edit: look at what Roy said about what he'd do if the Reds signed Bonds. Fewer A's fans will feel this way, but some will.

Johnny Footstool
09-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Some fans might be turned off by the A's signing Bonds, but those fans and many more would happily buy A's tickets in September and October if Bonds proved to be a difference-maker.

As for the A's and HGH, don't forget Tejada. I suspect that a part of the whole moneyball philosophy might have included looking for an extra edge in physical training that wasn't *explicitly* forbidden by baseball, or at least not enforced.

ochre
09-25-2007, 03:36 PM

My m-i-l asked me if I thought the Reds might sign Bonds and my reaction almost caused me to run the car off the road.

Not to mention its a horrible fit and the Reds have neither the position to put him nor the money and inclination to sign him, but I might stop being a Reds fan if they signed Bonds.
It would be the best worst outfield in baseball. Dunn as CF by default? :)

KronoRed
09-25-2007, 05:43 PM

I can honestly say I would not be a Reds fan as long as Bonds was on the team.

Thankfully some other team will flush that cash.

37red
09-25-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm going to be surprised if another team buys Bonds. What would they expect other than chaos in the locker room. It would be a bunch of cash for a one player team. Maybe an American league team might pick him up but I don't think anyone in the National league would.

pedro
09-25-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm going to be surprised if another team buys Bonds. What would they expect other than chaos in the locker room. It would be a bunch of cash for a one player team. Maybe an American league team might pick him up but I don't think a National league team would.

If he wants to play and is healthy enough someone will employ him. There is almost no doubt about that.

37red
09-25-2007, 06:50 PM
How much do you think he'll go for, and do you think it would be more than a one year contract?

pedro
09-25-2007, 06:51 PM
How much do you think he'll go for, and do you think it would be more than a one year contract?

It'll be a one year. My guess is that if he plays 130 games he could get about 14 million in an incentive laden contract. I don't think anyone would be willing to guarantee him that much though.