PDA

View Full Version : Marty giving Dunn props

Blitz Dorsey
09-21-2007, 11:55 PM
Listening to the Giants game right now (the one where Hopper was called out on one of the worst calls you will ever see) and Marty is saying how much of a gamer Dunn is and how he brings "a football mentality" and only misses games when it's "absolutely necessary."

Says he wishes there were more players in MLB as tough as Adam Dunn.

OK, lip service, or is Marty finally starting to get it?

TOBTTReds
09-21-2007, 11:59 PM
Listening to the Giants game right now (the one where Hopper was called out on one of the worst calls you will ever see) and Marty is saying how much of a gamer Dunn is and how he brings "a football mentality" and only misses games when it's "absolutely necessary."

Lip service. Marty has routinely said he is lazy and doesn't care.

KittyDuran
09-22-2007, 12:09 AM
Lip service. Marty has routinely said he is lazy and doesn't care.I've never heard Marty say that - but I only listen to the broadcast at the games during the 2nd inning. Marty has said that Dunn is very frustrating many times (and he's right).

Blitz Dorsey
09-22-2007, 12:22 AM
See, that's the thing. I think (as a Reds fan at heart) Marty tends to get frustrated in the moment and says things he really doesn't mean when things are going bad. Just like all of us when we're a little ticked off.

When it comes down to it, I think that Marty sees Dunn's value. He gets crucified for his comments, but that's just heat-of-the-moment stuff. Marty is a Reds fan and we all say stuff we don't mean when we're upset. Marty is either lying, or he likes Dunn overall. He just sees star potential in him and everyone here can admit that Dunn can be mind-scratching frustrating at times. But he's still our Adam Dunn and he's a star in MLB.

mbgrayson
09-22-2007, 12:57 AM
Last night Marty also gave Dunn props for getting his 100th walk. "That's Huge" he said.

TeamBoone
09-22-2007, 02:53 AM

He's not talking about Dunn's play, he's talking about his toughness. Two entirely different things.

When it comes down to it, I think that Marty sees Dunn's value. He gets crucified for his comments, but that's just heat-of-the-moment stuff. Marty is a Reds fan and we all say stuff we don't mean when we're upset. Marty is either lying, or he likes Dunn overall. He just sees star potential in him and everyone here can admit that Dunn can be mind-scratching frustrating at times. But he's still our Adam Dunn and he's a star in MLB.

I don't think he does.

He's ragged on him all season long... and it started in the spring training broadcasts. "Adam Dunn has a terrible work eithic, Adam Dunn is not a run producer", yadda yadda yadda. About the only thing he's NOT said is that he played drunk; unfortunately, someone else came up with that one.

Seems it doesn't matter what Adam does, it's never good enough, it's lazy, or some other concocted thing.

Yeah, Dunn's frustrating, but that doesn't mean he's not a good player. Look at the numbers he's put up this year (almost every year for that matter).

FWIW, Marty's frustrating.

M2
09-22-2007, 03:53 AM
You know, maybe it's possible the whole dust up about Dunn's mother not tuning in when Marty's on the broadcast got through to him. Dunn spoke up. Fans wrote in. We know at least one of those letters was forwarded to Marty. Maybe Marty listened. I'd like to think it's possible.

Ltlabner
09-22-2007, 06:53 AM
I don't think it was lip service. I heard the comments live (about playing a lot of games). They sounded genuine.

M2 makes a good point. Additionally all of the beat writers have been saying you have to take his option (and why) so it might be that Marty is seeing the errors of his ways.

Think about it, playing in all or most of 162 games is something Marty can appreicate, regardless of the player.

Unassisted
09-22-2007, 09:01 AM
You know, maybe it's possible the whole dust up about Dunn's mother not tuning in when Marty's on the broadcast got through to him. Dunn spoke up. Fans wrote in. We know at least one of those letters was forwarded to Marty. Maybe Marty listened. I'd like to think it's possible.

Or it could be that the FO took Marty aside and said something like this:

"We're going to pick up Adam Dunn's option next season and we're thinking of signing him to a long term deal. Because Dunn is a big part of our plans, we need you to start pointing out his virtues, instead of his flaws. The last thing we want is for fans to stay away from the ballpark because he's there."

GAC
09-22-2007, 09:47 AM
I've never heard Marty say that - but I only listen to the broadcast at the games during the 2nd inning. Marty has said that Dunn is very frustrating many times (and he's right).

I agree and I have listened to a majority of the radio broadcasts nightly on my way to work. He has never said he was lazy and doesn't care.

Marty has said some things concerning Dunn that have been frustrating and which many of us don't agree with; but lets not attribute to him things I don't think he has said on the air.

If he had used such terminology (lazy, doesn't care) it would have been as controversial and publically addressed as Cunningham's recent comments on Dunn.

TOBTTReds
09-22-2007, 11:41 AM
I've heard Marty say numerous times that he wants a guy who is going to "run to his position" and called it lazy not to, and all arrows were pointing to Dunn.

Also, I don't think he has a clue how valuable Dunn is. This is the same guy that said "THERE IS NO WAY THE REDS WILL PICK UP HIS OPTION." He has noted that Hopper could start in his place. He has hated on Dunn for years.

But NOW, he realizes that he is wrong. The writers voted 3-0 that the Reds have to pick up his option, and I think he felt dumb about that. Now he is CYA every day.

Sorry, there is a reason why Mr. and Mrs. Dunn don't like Marty, and it's probably not heat of the moment things, and if it is, then shame on Marty for saying such things in the heat of the moment.

WOY, feel free to add.

KittyDuran
09-22-2007, 01:07 PM
I've heard Marty say numerous times that he wants a guy who is going to "run to his position" and called it lazy not to, and all arrows were pointing to Dunn.

Also, I don't think he has a clue how valuable Dunn is. This is the same guy that said "THERE IS NO WAY THE REDS WILL PICK UP HIS OPTION." He has noted that Hopper could start in his place. He has hated on Dunn for years.
But NOW, he realizes that he is wrong. The writers voted 3-0 that the Reds have to pick up his option, and I think he felt dumb about that. Now he is CYA every day.

Sorry, there is a reason why Mr. and Mrs. Dunn don't like Marty, and it's probably not heat of the moment things, and if it is, then shame on Marty for saying such things in the heat of the moment.

WOY, feel free to add.If he came out and said those two things in BOLD - you'd have a point...and as GAC points out there would be a backlash on this board, but as far as I know he hadn't (at least not on the airwaves). BTW... Dunn "runs" or I could say jogs to his position - hardly any player runs out there anymore - well except for Coffey ;).

I'm not WOY, but here's a quote from another Dunn/Marty love/hate thread that might be appropriate! ;)

Hey, why don't YOU get real and realize that other people might actually think differently then you on the subject.

No need to act surprised, the world is a big place full of varied opinions. Obviously you have yours, as narrow as it may but it is yours.

TOBTTReds
09-22-2007, 01:27 PM
If he came out and said those two things in BOLD - you'd have a point...and as GAC points out there would be a backlash on this board, but as far as I know he hadn't (at least not on the airwaves). BTW... Dunn "runs" or I could say jogs to his position - hardly any player runs out there anymore - well except for Coffey ;).

I'm not WOY, but here's a quote from another Dunn/Marty love/hate thread that might be appropriate! ;)

You act like I'm making this up. Has everyone forgotten the Bash Marty threads? Here's a Marty quote:

"I'm tired of hearing people say he'll give you forty homers and drive in a hundred runs every year. First of all, he didn't drive in 100 runs last year. The most overrated stat in baseball is the damn home run. Give me a guy that'll run to his position and run off the field. More often than not, he walks to his position and walks off the field. Give me a guy that shows some life out there. His approach to hitting is the same if the count is 0-0 or 3-2. We all know his knowledge of the strike zone because he walks over a hundred times a year."

These are not even my opinions, I'm just reporting what I see and hear.

A quote from JMac:

Then as for Marty.....What irks me about him is he does this all the time towards Dunn then after the first bigggg homer from Dunn...he will say emphatically "Well.......how about Adam Dunn " !!!!!

Creek:

I have never seen him walk to or from his position. He doesn't sprint, I'll give you that, but he does jog.

I think Marty just has a Napoleon Complex when it comes to Dunn.

Membengal:

It lessens him as a broadcaster. It turns him into a joke, a walking skit, a fool. THAT's what bothers me. I am bothered because he cheapens himself.

Here is a 28 page thread about Marty bashing Dunn. Again, I'm not making this up.
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54696&highlight=dunn+marty+lazy

KittyDuran
09-22-2007, 01:58 PM
http://lastperson.suncircle.org/Smileys/default/giveup.gifWell, then Marty DOES HATE Dunn. :D Shouldn't Matt make sure someone isn't holding a gun to Marty's head when he gives Adam props? Or is it all just an act and not genuine (which would be typical of WLW)?:confused:

Or maybe we should just ask "Adam from Milwaukee"??? :beerme:

TOBTTReds
09-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Or maybe we should just ask "Adam from Milwaukee"??? :beerme:

"Ummm...do you have a shirt on?" - Adam from Milwaukee

westofyou
09-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Or is it all just an act and not genuine (which would be typical of WLW)?

That would be sad, especially since Mr Redlegs is on Marty's weekly check, not the call letters to what might be perhaps the largest stable of horse manure not in a barn in the Tri State area.

red-in-la
09-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Well, I am finally getting it. I am not really an Adam Dunn fan.....but when you tune in a game an see that he is not in the line up, you can see a big hole.

I am beginning to think that JR is pretty much a non-starter for 2008 and beyond. Even if he is healthy again in 2008, he surely won't play in the NL after that. His defense is getting worse and worse and unless he were to play 1B, I cannot see how he could be anything but a DH.

So, to think of losing the punch of both JR and Dunn over the next year or so is sort of scary. Too bad we didn't get a chance to see if Bruce could fill some of the void.....I guess next year.

So, I would pick up Dunn's option at the minimum. If, next year, Votto proves to be for real, if Keppinger and Hopper are not half year wonders, and if Hamilton and Bruce prove to be exceptional, then maybe you trade Dunn at the deadline.

TeamBoone
09-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Yeah, Kitty, he has said those things. And if he strikes out, more often than not, he says "terrible, simply terrible", even if he's taken 10-12 pitches.

I only listen to the radio broadcasts when the games aren't televised and every time Marty says something demeaning or derogatory about Adam Dunn. As I said, I listen to only a few, but he never misses. Therefore, I can only assume he also does it on those that I don't tune in to.

Plus, it's not unusual for someone to quote him during a game thread.

It's actually gotten to the point where it's embarassing, to me anyway.

MWM
09-22-2007, 10:54 PM
You don't have to come out and say you just don't like a player or his game for it to be the case. It's rather obvious with any amount of listening to Marty that he doesn't like Adam Dunn one bit. I think is latest comments are him coming to terms that the masses are starting to warm to Adam Dunn and he better start to as well. And as much as he's criticized him over the years, he can't exactly go complimenting his game, because that means he's been wrong. So he latches onto some other trait not related to production that he can praise for him. That's my speculation at least.

traderumor
09-22-2007, 11:10 PM
I think Marty is moody, gets grumpy, and sometimes a Dunn strikeout is handy.

cincyinco
09-24-2007, 05:36 AM
shoot.. I would probably be grumpy having to broadcast that many losing games a year about the team I cared about too.

Marty has been around for a long time. Things change. Cincy has suffered some extreme turmoil the entire 21st century & he's gotten not only to witness it first hand, but also having to illustrate bad baseball to all of us via the great radio..

Personally, I can see where that might rather..well.. suck. I know I'm jaded sometimes thinking back to 99 and how things went so very very off course. It seems we should have had better fortune doesn't it? Bad management, owners, decisions... 7 years later still in flux.

The thing is, I can pay attention when I want too, and if other things &/or distractions come up in my life I can just focus elsewhere & come to grips with what the team is. I don't have to live & breathe bad teams, rosters, players, pitching, managers & their decisions on a daily basis like Marty.. sigh...I feel for the old man.. I'm not certain I or most anyone can really understand the hell that has been the last 7 years of his career. I think I'd be bitter or grumpy too.

This is only compounded further by the age relative to grumpiness factor. Don't we all get more grumpy in old age? I thought it was a natural maturation in life.. Like puberty, menopause, hair loss, dentures, and finally shrinking. :P

Chip R
09-24-2007, 09:11 AM
shoot.. I would probably be grumpy having to broadcast that many losing games a year about the team I cared about too.

Marty can be grumpy on his own time. But if he is a true professional, he should be able to ut that aside for 3 hours a a day and broadcast a baseball game. If he wants to tell kids to get off his lawn, he needs to do it on his own time.

GAC
09-24-2007, 09:19 AM
Marty has definitely changed in that broadcast booth over the last few years. He never really use to be this way IMO (or not as bad).

It's like he feels he has to become more then just the color guy, but also an entertainer who needs to read emails, tell colorful stories, and go off on these other tangents during the game in order to hold the listener's attention or else they are afraid they'll turn the game off because it will become boring somehow.

Yet listening to him makes one what to turn the game off.

pedro
09-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Marty's just covering his butt like the true front running loser that he is.

Ltlabner
09-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Marty's just covering his butt like the true front running loser that he is.

I'm glad these objective and well-resoned comments are uttered over Marty actually saying something nice about Dunn. Just think if Marty dared to say anything nasty (again) about Dunner.

pedro
09-24-2007, 02:22 PM
I'm glad these objective and well-resoned comments are uttered over Marty actually saying something nice about Dunn. Just think if Marty dared to say anything nasty.

Hey, I'm just telling it like it is. :)

Ltlabner
09-24-2007, 02:24 PM
Hey, I'm just telling it like it is. :)

Oh I know. I'm sure that until Marty jumps into an active valcano, salts his crops and kills all of his known decendents, you'll harbor your ire for the great poofy haired one.

Would a public flooging attone for him calling you a boob, or will it take the full deal I described above for you to let go of the all consuming hate you harbor? Maybe he could let you muss up his hair right on fountain square....would that help you to let bygones be bygones?

:p:

pedro
09-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Oh I know. I'm sure that until Marty jumps into an active valcano, salts his crops and kills all of his known decendents, you'll harbor your ire for the great poofy haired one.

Would a public flooging attone for him calling you a boob, or will it take the full deal I described above for you to let go of the all consuming hate you harbor? Maybe he could let you muss up his hair right on fountain square....would that help you to let bygones be bygones?

I'd be satisfied if he just retired and took Thom with him. What he does after that is his own business. Although I do like some salt on my veggies.

RFS62
09-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Would a public flooging attone for him calling you a boob, or will it take the full deal I described above for you to let go of the all consuming hate you harbor?

I'm not Pedro, but I'll bet he wears his designation of boobitude from Marty like a badge of honor.

:cool:

pedro
09-24-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm not Pedro, but I'll bet he wears his designation of boobitude from Marty like a badge of honor.

:cool:

Damn straight I do.

Plus everyone out here in Portland is "real proud of me"

RedsBaron
09-24-2007, 07:34 PM

Those would be good first steps for Marty to take. ;)

TeamBoone
09-24-2007, 07:52 PM
The thing is, I can pay attention when I want too, and if other things &/or distractions come up in my life I can just focus elsewhere & come to grips with what the team is. I don't have to live & breathe bad teams, rosters, players, pitching, managers & their decisions on a daily basis like Marty.. sigh...I feel for the old man.. I'm not certain I or most anyone can really understand the hell that has been the last 7 years of his career. I think I'd be bitter or grumpy too.

This is Marty's job... probably one of the best gigs in baseball if you're not actually on the field. If he doesn't want to do it right because the team is doing poorly, then he should give it up; instead, he renewed his contract for another three years.

Do you get to badmouth other workers to the public or slack off at your work because you happen to be doing something that you don't particularly enjoy... yeah, that's what I thought.

RFS62
09-24-2007, 08:07 PM
He's starting to remind me of the announcer in Angels in the Outfield

mth123
09-24-2007, 08:25 PM
This is Marty's job... probably one of the best gigs in baseball if you're not actually on the field. If he doesn't want to do it right because the team is doing poorly, then he should give it up; instead, he renewed his contract for another three years.

Do you get to badmouth other workers to the public or slack off at your work because you happen to be doing something that you don't particularly enjoy... yeah, that's what I thought.

Good post.

REDREAD
09-24-2007, 10:48 PM
I wonder if Marty got a talk from someone high up in the Reds' organization to lay off Adam Dunn for awhile.

I wish whoever gives Marty these occasional repremands would do it more often.

cincyinco
09-25-2007, 05:28 AM
actually I think its very much human nature & we all have done something like that at one time or another. when circumstances make your job more difficult to enjoy then your passion, dedication, effort & overall performance can suffer. often we're not even aware of how serious it can change us until its too late as its a slow & methodical process. an erotion of the soul. we lie to ourselves all the time, say we're happy when we're not, say we still love what we do because its all we know, its who we are. it can be real hard to swallow your pride & look in the mirror to see truth. reflecting upon your weaknesses means you may find something you dont like, so we bury our heads in the sand. its classic denial & human nature. its easier to live a charade. that's life for some. why you might believe marty is immune to things that plague numerous people in society is nieve. he's human like the rest of us.. Im no marty apologist & Im certainly pro dunn. I just don't pretend to know what martys job is like or how that grind would affect me. his position is one most of us can only dream about & would die to have, but Im open to the possibility that its the idea that appeals & the actual job, a majority of it highlighting seriously bad baseball in this instance, may not be as great a gig as you think. I dont think anyone can truely comprehend what its had to be like for marty unless they're longtime announcers of the royals, brewers, expos, pirates or cubs. :P

on top of everything else..if you had to put up with the banana phone all season? lord almighty I sense postal urges.

the grass is always greener..

cincyinco
09-25-2007, 05:33 AM
and my first post wasn't reallt intended to be a defence of marty.

a bad attempt at passive aggressive pot shots reflecting just how sorry our reds have been the last 7 years. the things we've endured... and I can shut it off when I want too.

redsrule2500
09-25-2007, 06:06 AM
Lip service. Marty has routinely said he is lazy and doesn't care.

Right. He's never said that, quit putting words in his mouth.

Marty > you. :beerme:

pedro
09-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Right. He's never said that, quit putting words in his mouth.

Marty > you. :beerme:

Marty has certainly implied that on several occasions.

what do YOU think the whole "he never runs to his position" is about?

Ltlabner
09-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Marty has certainly implied that on several occasions.

what do YOU think the whole "he never runs to his position" is about?

I'm a big Marty fan, and I can say that Marty has definatley given Dunn a bunch of flack, both directly and indirectly via implied comments.

I don't think he's as rabidly anti-Dunn as some here would have you believe, but there's most definatley been some comments regarding our favorite left fielder. Claiming anything else is being pretty dishonest.

Then again, I think the firestorm that RZ creates anytime Marty farts maginifies things out of proportion also. Marty railed on David Ross for striking out so much reciently, and being unable to hit a ball, yet there's been no corresponding "Can you believe what Marty said about Ross" thread.

pedro
09-25-2007, 03:08 PM
I'm a big Marty fan, and I can say that Marty has definatley given Dunn a bunch of flack, both directly and indirectly via implied comments.

I don't think he's as rabidly anti-Dunn as some here would have you believe, but there's most definatley been some comments regarding our favorite left fielder. Anything else is being pretty dishonest.

Then again, I think the firestorm that RZ creates anytime Marty farts maginifies things out of proportion also. Marty railed on David Ross for striking out so much reciently, and being unable to hit a ball, yet there's been no corresponding "Can you believe what Marty said about Ross" thread.

That's b/c Ross has sucked this year and yet Marty hasn't made that personal as he seems to do with Adam.

I don't recall him ever saying Ross was lazy or suggesting that the Reds would be better off with Chad Moeller as the catcher.

NJReds
09-25-2007, 03:16 PM
That's b/c Ross has sucked this year and yet Marty hasn't made that personal as he seems to do with Adam.

I don't recall him ever saying Ross was lazy or suggesting that the Reds would be better off with Chad Moeller as the catcher.

Or that he was drunk while he was playing.

pedro
09-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Or that he was drunk while he was playing.

to be fair that wasn't Marty, that was Cunningham.

gonelong
09-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Marty railed on David Ross for striking out so much reciently, and being unable to hit a ball, yet there's been no corresponding "Can you believe what Marty said about Ross" thread.

I guess I coud have started another thread about Marty, but I'd guess that my opinions on Marty are pretty well known at this poin. I stay away from the majority of these threads, and I sure don't want to start any new ones.

I have stated more than once that I don't care for Marty whipping on ANY of the players, Ross included.

GL

KittyDuran
09-25-2007, 04:19 PM
Wasn't Willie Greene a favorite "whipping boy" of Marty's many years ago?

flyer85
09-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Wasn't Willie Greene a favorite "whipping boy" of Marty's many years ago?I remember Lenny Harris' defense was a bone of contention.

I had my say about Marty with an e-mail to John Allen earlier this season and I don't give a second though about what Marty says on the air anymore. I got it off my chest and it felt good to do that after a number of years of being frustrated about the curmudgeonly Franchester.

Chip R
09-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Wasn't Willie Greene a favorite "whipping boy" of Marty's many years ago?

Not sure about Marty but Hal sure had it in for him.

KittyDuran
09-25-2007, 04:48 PM
Not sure about Marty but Hal sure had it in for him.Thanks! I knew it was someone...

Matt700wlw
09-25-2007, 08:49 PM
More love tonight....

Agreed hill be back with the club, agrees that his numbers would be hard to replace...notes that he's cut his errors in half in the outfield...

"He's had a heck of a year"

Team Clark
09-25-2007, 09:17 PM
I remember Lenny Harris' defense was a bone of contention.

I had my say about Marty with an e-mail to John Allen earlier this season and I don't give a second though about what Marty says on the air anymore. I got it off my chest and it felt good to do that after a number of years of being frustrated about the curmudgeonly Franchester.

Glad that you sent that e-mail. Although I like "listening" to Marty I don't always agree with him or care for his candor. I never chose to e-mail Allen because Marty and Allen are VERY close. So, that e-mail was probably read and deleted unfortunately. Good that you exercised your right to speak your mind on the issue. More people, including me should do that.

westofyou
09-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Not sure about Marty but Hal sure had it in for him.

Oh it was Marty too... that's where the famous.. "I'll be here when you are gone" originated.

Willie didn't want to talk to Marty in the clubhouse one day, Marty was peeved.

REDREAD
09-25-2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks! I knew it was someone...

You remember right. Marty did complain about Willee Greene a lot.

Blitz Dorsey
09-26-2007, 12:45 AM
Another thing Marty and I had in common... knowing early in his career Willie Greene was a dud.

Cedric
09-26-2007, 01:01 AM
Marty has said countless things good about Dunn over the last few years. He's also said a ton of bad and dumb things about Adam. I'm not surprised that Redszone of all places only remembers the negative comments about his game.

Yachtzee
09-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Marty has said countless things good about Dunn over the last few years. He's also said a ton of bad and dumb things about Adam. I'm not surprised that Redszone of all places only remembers the negative comments about his game.

It's kind of hard to take the good things he has said about Dunn seriously when it amounts to saying one day, "Adam Dunn just hit an incredible home run" and then following it up the next day with "Home runs are the most overrated stat in baseball." It's hard to take praise seriously when the quality for which one is being praised is then discounted by the same person making the praise later on.

westofyou
09-26-2007, 11:05 AM
It's kind of hard to take the good things he has said about Dunn seriously when it amounts to saying one day, "Adam Dunn just hit an incredible home run" and then following it up the next day with "Home runs are the most overrated stat in baseball." It's hard to take praise seriously when the quality for which one is being praised is then discounted by the same person making the praise later on.

Sure it easy.. if you think everything that seeps out of Marty's mouth is awash in "Ford Frick Gold". A common ailment that seems to be as never ending as the complaints from those who thinks it's nothing more then Hollywood BS.