PDA

View Full Version : First College Football Coach to be Fired

jmcclain19
09-23-2007, 04:15 AM
Wondering now that we're four weeks in, which college coach will be the first to be issued his walking papers.

If I were to bet on it I know that Houston Nutt isn't going to last long in Fayetteville, not with all that off the field mess he's initiated this last year.

But Franchione's firing, Dorrell being on thin ice & Carr stepping down means there could be some monster job openings this coming off season.

WMR
09-23-2007, 04:35 AM
I could see Tommy Tuberville down at Auburn getting the axe.

MaineRed
09-23-2007, 08:20 AM
What about Charlie Weiss? The last couple of coaches they have had have been better than this.

I think it is pretty clear that top recruits don't find it cool to play for Notre Dame or Weiss.

All the ND boosters said guys like Davie and Willingham had to go. They are both better than Weiss.

redsmetz
09-23-2007, 08:28 AM
What about Charlie Weiss? The last couple of coaches they have had have been better than this.

I think it is pretty clear that top recruits don't find it cool to play for Notre Dame or Weiss.

All the ND boosters said guys like Davie and Willingham had to go. They are both better than Weiss.

I, too, was surprised that Weiss wasn't on the list.

MWM
09-23-2007, 10:16 AM

If you talk to the die hard ND fans (and I work with a bunch of them), they'll disagree with this. There's a lot more to it than the W-L record this year. Most everyone exepcted this year to be a bad year. Not THIS bad, but a transition year nonetheless. Weis' has only two recruiting classes thus far and his first recruits are only sophomores or Red Shirt Freshman. The Junior and Senior classes are willingham recruits, and there's very little talent in those two classes. That was their biggest beef with Ty, he couldn't recruit to save his life. There were stories of no one being at the airport to pick up a big recruit and having a staff golf outing during one of the key recruiting weekends, etc, etc, etc... These are just a couple of examples of a very poorly run operation. There more to Ty's being fired than just the W-L record. It wasn't his actual coaching they had a problem with. They have a terrible junior and senior class that he had nothing to do with. That's all on Willingham, so no, Willingham was not better than Weis.

The expectation is that Weis has better show major improvement next year once his recruits start to become upper classmen. And their biggest problem is in the offensive line. And of all the positions on the field, the O-Line is the one where it's rare that you see freshmen and sophomores contributing significantly. You need upper classmen on the line. I think Weis will get a pass this year, but he better produce the next couple of years.

GoReds33
09-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Lloyd Carr is staying. That is unless they can't beat OSU. That's the only game that matters. They can lose every game except the OSU game and still be happy.

pedro
09-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Lloyd Carr is staying. That is unless they can't beat OSU. That's the only game that matters. They can lose every game except the OSU game and still be happy.

I'm a Michigan fan and I have a pretty strong feeling that Lloyd will "retire" after this year.

KronoRed
09-23-2007, 01:42 PM
From this list I'd go with Houston Nutt, he was almost gone last year.

guttle11
09-23-2007, 02:34 PM
Franchione.

He would have been gone last year if they hadn't shocked an apathetic Texas team. His stuff will be packed and waiting for him right after the Texas game this year.

The SEC West title should give Nutt another year barring a debacle the rest of the way.

Stoops may get the axe, and Robinson probably kept himself employed for another year yesterday.

Puffy
09-23-2007, 02:45 PM

Really? Then how come Notre Dame's last recruiting class was number 7 in the nation and the upcoming one is currently at number 1?

Those recruits must not have talked to you yet, huh?

Unassisted
09-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Franchione.

He would have been gone last year if they hadn't shocked an apathetic Texas team. His stuff will be packed and waiting for him right after the Texas game this year.

Texas is ripe for an upset and I could see this being the year that Franchione pulls this rabbit out of his hat.

My vote is with Phil Fulmer. He's been around a while and had too many disappointing seasons in this decade. Most of the other guys on that list started in their jobs after Phil started underperforming.

Carr could go .500 the rest of the season and keep his job. I agree with Pedro that he'll bow out gracefully between the Ohio State game and the bowl game... if they go to a bowl.

MWM
09-23-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm a Michigan fan and I have a pretty strong feeling that Lloyd will "retire" after this year.

Yep, there's no way they "fire" Carr. I think he's ready to step down and take a role in the athletic department. He's been at Michigan coaching since Bo Schemblechler. He was an assistant under Bo and Gary Moeller. He's a Michigan man and will do the right thing by the University. I think they'll go whole hog after Les Miles. Personally, i don't see why he'd leave LSU, but they'll give it a shot. If he decides not to come back to Michigan, then they'll go outside. I don't see them promoting an assistant. They might go after the guy from Cal. Michigan is still one of the premier jobs in the country.

MWM
09-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Really? Then how come Notre Dame's last recruiting class was number 7 in the nation and the upcoming one is currently at number 1?

Do you worry at all that if they wind up something like 3-8 or 2-9 this year that it will cause some of the recruits to change their mind? Players might be willing to a school in a transition year, but I don't think anyone thought it would be this bad. I would worry what the magnitude of this year's woes would do to recruiting over the next two years.

jmcclain19
09-23-2007, 07:53 PM
I cannot believe I left off Charlie Weis.

I should be fired for that one.

paintmered
09-23-2007, 07:56 PM
I'm not sure if he will be the first to get fired, but Chan Gailey has done absolutely everything to ruin a 2-0 start at Georgia Tech.

Caveat Emperor
09-23-2007, 08:25 PM

Weis would also require a gigantic buyout IIRC, which even Notre Dame might not be willing to eat.

GoReds33
09-23-2007, 08:25 PM

I should be fired for that one.It doesn't matter. With his contract they would be idiots to fire him.

KronoRed
09-23-2007, 09:22 PM
I'm not sure if he will be the first to get fired, but Chan Gailey has done absolutely everything to ruin a 2-0 start at Georgia Tech.

He does that seemingly every year, he gets them to a bowl game and he's safe.

roundboy22
09-24-2007, 04:04 AM
Steve Kragthorpe. The fans are already restless. I like him, but then again, I'm a Kentucky fan. :thumbup:

Razor Shines
09-24-2007, 06:01 AM

I should be fired for that one.

No, there is no way Charlie Weis gets fired this year. First the buy out would be huge. Second, like Puffy said he's got the #1 recruiting class coming in.

As a ND fan I expected this year to be pretty bad, not quite this bad, but I didn't expect it to be much better than this. So I think Charlie's job is fairly safe.

WVRed
09-24-2007, 06:21 AM
I did hear a story about Charlie Weis trying to recruit Josh Jenkins(no 1 OG prospect in the nation and a Parkersburg native). Very first thing Weis told him was "You can go to WVU and get a job anywhere in the state of West Virginia, or you can go to Notre Dame and get a job anywhere in the world". Apparently Jenkins took it as an insult on West Virginia and crossed Notre Dame off his list.

I'm going with Houston Nutt. Running off one of the top recruits in the nation and underachieving is going to leave a sour taste in ones mouth.

dabvu2498
09-24-2007, 10:42 AM
I went with Dickie's brother, Houston.

Could be alot of turnover in the SEC.

Sly Croom and Coach O may well both be gone. Tuberville's seat is super warm. Bobby Johnson at Vandy may well get the ax as well if they don't win at least 6.

I know people in Big Orange Country are hot after Fulmer, too. I just don't know who they could get that could actually do a better job than he does.

Puffy
09-24-2007, 10:46 AM
Do you worry at all that if they wind up something like 3-8 or 2-9 this year that it will cause some of the recruits to change their mind? Players might be willing to a school in a transition year, but I don't think anyone thought it would be this bad. I would worry what the magnitude of this year's woes would do to recruiting over the next two years.

I do worry about some of the 19 commits backing out. Kids can be fickle - and I don't see ND winning anymore than 3 games this year.

As for the years beyond this one - no. ND has a ton of freshman talent and they are getting more experience per week. Once the Offensive line gets fixed this will be a very solid team. So I think the bounce back will suppress all this negativitiy

MaineRed
09-24-2007, 12:20 PM

Those recruits also have yet to win a game this season. And Weiss has already driven one away.

Perhaps "obviously" was the wrong word. I don't follow college recruiting to that degree. I just follow the results on the field. Would seem to me Weiss could get some guys in there to at least make them competive. Say what you want about Willinghams players, he did better than this with them.

Houston Nutt will probably be the first to go. Off the field issues and his team ishorribly coached. Arkansas should have pounded Kentucky but silly penalties and stupid mistakes killed them.

FIRELEFT
09-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Houston Nutt will probably be the first to go. Off the field issues and his team ishorribly coached. Arkansas should have pounded Kentucky but silly penalties and stupid mistakes killed them.[/QUOTE]

The only way he keeps his job is to go unbeaten the rest of the way.
Maybe one Defeat to LSU, Maybe.

RichRed
09-24-2007, 05:16 PM
No votes for Marshall's Mark Snyder? After going 4-7 and 5-7 his first two seasons, the Herd is off to an 0-4 start this year. Granted, they've played some tough teams but one of the losses was to (formerly) I-AA New Hampshire, 48-35. At one point in the 3rd quarter, they were down 31-7 in that one.

jmcclain19
09-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Here is a breakdown of coaches who are at least in their 4th season in their current jobs, and have an overall record under .500. BCS Schools are bolded

Coach - Team - WinPct (W/L)
Ted Roof - Duke - .105 (4/34)
Bobby Johnson - Vanderbilt - .279 (17/44)
Jeff Genyk - Eastern Michigan - .289 (11/27)
Phil Bennett - SMU - .290 (18/44)
Charlie Weatherbie - La-Monroe - .306 (15/34)
Sly Croom - Miss State - .316 (12/26)
Brady Hoke - Ball State - 340 (17/33)
Mike Stoops - Arizona - .342 (13/25)
George O'Leary - UCF -.359 (14/25)
Guy Morriss - Baylor - .360 (18/32)
Doug Martin - Kent State - 368 (14/24)
Ricky Bustle - La-Lafayette - .371 (23/39)
Rich Brooks - Kentucky - .412 (21/30)
Greg Schiano - Rutgers - .446 (33/41)
Mark Mangino - Kansas - .453 (29/35)
Tommy West - Memphis - .467 (35/40)
Randy Edsall - UConn - .469 (45/51)
Joe Glenn - Wyoming - .470 (24/27)
Joe Novak - Northern Ill - .477 (62/68)
Howard Schnellenberger - FAU - .486 (36/38)
Rocky Long - New Mexico - .487 (55/58)

jimbo
09-27-2007, 10:14 PM

Being a Buckeye fan, I hope he sticks around. ;)

pedro
09-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Being a Buckeye fan, I hope he sticks around. ;)

Now you know how we felt about John Cooper.

jimbo
09-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Now you know how we felt about John Cooper.

Amazing how things turned once Cooper was gone and Tressel came aboard. It's the greatest rivalry in college football in my opinion. Always my favorite single sporting event of the year.

Personally, I think Michigan needs a change even if they beat the Buckeyes this season. Do you feel the same?

jmcclain19
10-09-2007, 02:14 AM
Dorrell & Stoops certainly made another fine argument this past weekend - at least they get to play one another here soon.

Highlifeman21
10-11-2007, 10:45 AM
This isn't an opinion meant to push this thread towards the Peanut Gallery, but Sly Croom won't get fired for the simple reason he's black. I think he's a fine coach, but struggles as a recruiter, but the NCAA needs more minority coaches, rather than to eliminate one. For that reason, Sly Croom's safe for at least another two years.

Blimpie
10-11-2007, 11:24 AM
I could see Tommy Tuberville down at Auburn getting the axe.Auburn appears to be getting stronger as the season progresses. Their defense looked absolutely nasty against Florida...If Tuberville beats Saban in the Iron Bowl, they will probably renew his contract for 5 years.

My money is on Houston Nutt...the miserable putz.

Blimpie
10-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Houston Nutt will probably be the first to go. Off the field issues and his team ishorribly coached. Arkansas should have pounded Kentucky but silly penalties and stupid mistakes killed them....well, that, and the fact that UK completely shut down the Hogs running game in the second half and forced their sucky QB to try and convert third downs by passing.

And don't say anything about the Arkansas RBs being dehydrated either. If anyone should have been used to the climate in Fayetteville, it would have been those losers.

Blimpie
10-11-2007, 11:33 AM
This isn't an opinion meant to push this thread towards the Peanut Gallery, but Sly Croom won't get fired for the simple reason he's black. I think he's a fine coach, but struggles as a recruiter, but the NCAA needs more minority coaches, rather than to eliminate one. For that reason, Sly Croom's safe for at least another two years.Ty Willingham says :wave:

Unassisted
10-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Dorrell & Stoops certainly made another fine argument this past weekend - at least they get to play one another here soon.Stoops' gain is Mack Brown's loss. If Mack loses to A&M this year, which is a distinct possibility now that Limas Sweed is out for the year, he will need to make sure he knows which file cabinet drawer contains his resume. I don't think he'll get tossed under the bus this season unless the 'horns really tank.

Highlifeman21
10-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Ty Willingham says :wave:

For everyday that Charlie Weis still has a job at ND, people should be up in arms over the Ty Willingham firing.

MWM
10-13-2007, 09:08 PM
For everyday that Charlie Weis still has a job at ND, people should be up in arms over the Ty Willingham firing.

A quick glance past the surface and you'll discover how wrong that statement is. I've heard this same sentiment several times and it's always coming from people who are looking only at ND's record this year and in Ty's record his last couple of years without lookign any deeper trying to understand the full circumstances behind Ty's firing. People look at that and no deeper and then come out out with blanket statments like the one above. My guess is you have done a lot of digging into why Ty was let go. You're just assuming it was because of his W-L record. That's not the case at all.

If you look a little deeper, you'll discover that there were A LOT of reasons why Ty Willingham was replaced. I'm not a ND fan at all, but I do happen to be close friends with quite a few of them. I brought up the same thing earlier this year and was filled into just how poor an operation Ty ran at ND. They saw disaster coming with him at the wheel and they got out before they let it happen. It would be just as ugly, without much hope for it getting better had Ty stuck around. At least with Weiss, there's hope that this is just a one year thing. Go do a little digging, and then come back and see if you can stick to the above statment.

jmcclain19
10-14-2007, 12:46 AM
Ty has done a pretty darn good job righting a wrecked ship in Washington, so I have no doubts that he is an excellent coach. ND was a perfect storm. ND still suffers from the idea that they are a national power on par with USC, LSU & Florida, and that mental breakdown will pop up again when Weiss fails to live up to those expectations sometime soon. And make no mistake about it - he most certainly will. Those two BCS bids were both products of the ND bias in the BCS rules, not due to the fact that they earned them.

Nebraska fans have the same issue that will manifest itself shortly in the form of a huge buyout of Callahan's contract.

Danny Serafini
10-14-2007, 01:46 AM
A quick glance past the surface and you'll discover how wrong that statement is. I've heard this same sentiment several times and it's always coming from people who are looking only at ND's record this year and in Ty's record his last couple of years without lookign any deeper trying to understand the full circumstances behind Ty's firing. People look at that and no deeper and then come out out with blanket statments like the one above. My guess is you have done a lot of digging into why Ty was let go. You're just assuming it was because of his W-L record. That's not the case at all.

If you look a little deeper, you'll discover that there were A LOT of reasons why Ty Willingham was replaced. I'm not a ND fan at all, but I do happen to be close friends with quite a few of them. I brought up the same thing earlier this year and was filled into just how poor an operation Ty ran at ND. They saw disaster coming with him at the wheel and they got out before they let it happen. It would be just as ugly, without much hope for it getting better had Ty stuck around. At least with Weiss, there's hope that this is just a one year thing. Go do a little digging, and then come back and see if you can stick to the above statment.

I'm the same way, I've got a couple friends who are big time Notre Dame fans. They're much happier with Weis than Willingham, even with the mess this year has become. They expected this year to be garbage based on who was there, although I don't think anyone expected it to be this bad. The big thing is that Weis can and is bringing in big time recruits that Willingham couldn't. A couple of years from now they'll be a whole lot better, and people will look back on this year and laugh because it was such an oddball season.

As far as Willingham goes, he was badly overrated at Stanford. He did win a league title, but in a season that may have been the worst in recent Pac 10 history, a year where there were several weeks when no Pac 10 team was even in the top 25. Otherwise he didn't accomplish a whole lot. And while he got a lot of pub for this year's start, Washington is now 2-4, and 0-3 in conference.

jmcclain19
10-20-2007, 11:11 PM
I wish Bill Callahan would have been an option in the poll.

Because right now - he's easily the No. 1 choice. That may happen on Monday.

Mike Stoops would be No. 2. He also may get fired on Monday. Time will tell.

stevekun
10-20-2007, 11:34 PM
As a Louisville fan I wish it were Kragthorpe but we all know that won't happen

OnBaseMachine
10-28-2007, 12:11 PM
I started thinking about this post last night while watching some games.

Mike Stoops. My opinion is that Arizona needs to stick with him for at least one more year. He's a great recruiter but obviously hasn't gotten the results he would like to see on the field just yet. He's only 3-6 this season, but if you look deeper he is actually only a few plays from being 5-4 or 6-3. Two of his losses have come from a combined total of three points. His QB is just now starting to develop into one of the better QB's in the country, which gives them hope for the 2008 season.

Two coaches I could see being let go are Karl Dorrell from UCLA and Ty Willingham from Washington, though Ty probably deserves more time.

Dorrell consistently has good talent and lets it go to waste. His team is currently 5-3 with all three losses coming to teams he should have beaten. I look for Dorrell to finally be fired this offseason and replaced with Norm Chow. Those are actual rumors I've read.

Willingham probably gets another year since he inherited a program in bad shape due to the previous coach, however, Jim Mora has expressed interest in the job and UW could be intrigued by the former NFL coach.

Chip R
10-28-2007, 12:14 PM
I think Croom has saved his job.

Unassisted
10-28-2007, 12:16 PM
I wish Bill Callahan would have been an option in the poll.

Because right now - he's easily the No. 1 choice. That may happen on Monday.
Callahan nearly pulled off an upset in Austin yesterday.

I think Franchione will go before he does, but I'll be surprised if either of them go before the end of the season.

OnBaseMachine
10-28-2007, 12:19 PM
Callahan should be fired yesterday.

Chip R
10-28-2007, 12:23 PM
He'll be gone after the season is over now that Dr. Tom is in charge. Look for Turner Gill to take over next year.

KronoRed
10-28-2007, 02:33 PM
I think Croom has saved his job.

He's got MSU on the verge of a bowl game, he'll get a 10 year deal.

On the football in Mississippi note, Ed Orgeron is probably going to get canned.

Blimpie
10-28-2007, 06:01 PM
I think Croom has saved his job.In addition to yesterday's destruction of Kentucky, their win at Auburn was pretty nice, as well.

Unassisted
10-29-2007, 11:26 AM
SMU's Phil Bennett is the first to go.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/cusa/2007-10-28-smu-bennett_N.htm?csp=34

Unassisted
11-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Looks like Franchione will be the first to go.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10453939

AmarilloRed
11-06-2007, 12:28 AM
Serious thought should be given to firing Charlie Weis after he went for it on 4th and 8 instead of kicking a field goal. I don't think he will be fired until after the season, though.

bucksfan2
11-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Serious thought should be given to firing Charlie Weis after he went for it on 4th and 8 instead of kicking a field goal. I don't think he will be fired until after the season, though.

Weis won't be fired after this season. He will have atleast another season. After ND made the knee jerk reaction to extend his contract it wouldn't be a good financial move to fire him. So for the next few years they are stuck with a man whose ego is larger than the entire naval forces that just defeated him. Kudos to ND and :beerme: to more losing seasons.

Chip R
11-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Weis won't be fired after this season. He will have atleast another season. After ND made the knee jerk reaction to extend his contract it wouldn't be a good financial move to fire him. So for the next few years they are stuck with a man whose ego is larger than the entire naval forces that just defeated him. Kudos to ND and :beerme: to more losing seasons.

I think they extended his deal till 2015 so they would have to eat that money for a long time if they fired him.

Unassisted
11-06-2007, 09:19 AM
SMU's Phil Bennett is the first to go.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/cusa/2007-10-28-smu-bennett_N.htm?csp=34

Looks like Franchione will be the first to go.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10453939

Looks like I should have said first to go from the list in the poll. :doh:

OnBaseMachine
11-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Rumors are that Chris Petersen of Boise State will replace UCLA coach Karl Dorrell at the end of the season.

Chip R
11-18-2007, 12:16 AM
I hear Guy Morriss is out at Baylor and they are going to interview Mike Singletary. Also Houston Nutt's probably as good as gone from Arkansas.

jmcclain19
11-19-2007, 04:30 AM
I hear Guy Morriss is out at Baylor and they are going to interview Mike Singletary. Also Houston Nutt's probably as good as gone from Arkansas.

Morriss was fired today. Baylor could be an interesting job. Huge recruiting base & a BCS school - albeit a private one. Duke is a job just like it that figures to be open in the next couple of weeks as well.

SMU is open as well. That begs the question, if you had the choose between BCS Baylor and non-BCS SMU which job would you pick?

I think I'd pick SMU - same recruiting base, with the Dallas metro to pull from, lower expectations in CUSA, and I think football mad Dallas would really get behind a local team if they ever got off the snide - North Texas certainly isn't doing it.

WMR
11-19-2007, 04:33 AM
Wonder if Guy is happy today he fled from the Bluegrass just when he was starting to build a solid foundation for a school where he would have virtually zero chance of getting any top recruits.

WMR
11-19-2007, 04:33 AM
Morriss was fired today. Baylor could be an interesting job. Huge recruiting base & a BCS school - albeit a private one. Duke is a job just like it that figures to be open in the next couple of weeks as well.

SMU is open as well. That begs the question, if you had the choose between BCS Baylor and non-BCS SMU which job would you pick?

I think I'd pick SMU - same recruiting base, with the Dallas metro to pull from, lower expectations in CUSA, and I think football mad Dallas would really get behind a local team if they ever got off the snide - North Texas certainly isn't doing it.

Disagree on Baylor being an "interesting job."

You're never going to be able to recruit with the big boys at Baylor.

jmcclain19
11-19-2007, 04:44 AM
Disagree on Baylor being an "interesting job."

You're never going to be able to recruit with the big boys at Baylor.

Why not? Baylor has a school three times the size of last year's ACC champs - have a huge endowment, and sit on one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in America.

And they don't need to compete with Texas & Oklahoma. Navy & Air Force show that with the right coaches and execution, the 1 & 2 star athletes can compete in Division I-A just fine.

Imagine if you can do that in Texas, where the chances are huge that you sneak in a few 4 & 5 star players that want to stay home but didn't get an invite to the big boys table. Put Paul Johnson in Baylor - and I bet they are a .500 team at a minimum, if not better.

Texas Tech was awful, just awful before Mike Leach. Right coach in the right situation, and now they are a top tier rather than a bottom tier Big 12 squad. I could see Art Briles from Houston, Chris Petersen from Boise or Johnson doing the same for the Bears as Leach did for Tech. I saw the Houston paper mentioned an interesting Glen Mason possibility, a guy who took Minnesota from nothing and made them a perennial bowl team.

Side story - I remember reading Hugh Charles (Starting RB for Colorado) saying a couple of years ago that he was the No. 2 ranked RB in Texas, and the Longhorns wouldn't even give him a sniff because he wasn't considered No. 1 at his position - so he went shopping for a school and found Colorado, and has a perma-chip on his shoulder from the whole ordeal. There are boatloads of those kids out there and I'm sure Baylor can net some.

WMR
11-19-2007, 04:59 AM
Why didn't Guy Morriss get it done then? He's got Texas connections out the wazoo.

Highlifeman21
11-19-2007, 07:36 AM
That's right, I'm gonna admit I was wrong.

I thought Mike Stoops should have his bags packed at the beginning of the year, but after they slapped around Oregon, he's definitely safe, and Arizona actually looks like a young, promising program.

However, after watching Syracuse get man-handled by a bad UConn team this Saturday, wow Greg Robinson, what the heck are you doing with that team? While I wanna give him the benefit of the doubt, I just don't see that program doing anything positive to right the ship.

Unassisted
11-19-2007, 09:32 AM
Why not? Baylor has a school three times the size of last year's ACC champs - have a huge endowment, and sit on one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in America.

Baylor has a beautiful campus, but it's located in Waco, which is a truly sleepy town. The stadium is on the small side, so I assume the practice facilities are less impressive than those at its Big 12 counterparts.

The campus is dry and doesn't allow dancing, which probably presents a recruiting disadvantage for a coach trying to land players with an interest in spiritous beverages or cutting a rug. Those things might appeal to parents looking for an environment free of distractions for young Junior, but in most cases, I think Junior's likely to wrinkle his nose at them.

KronoRed
11-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Baylor could be the next USF, or the next UCF, it's location will allow it to keep coaches wondering what might be.

Why didn't Guy Morriss get it done then? He's got Texas connections out the wazoo.
Because he's a bad coach? :D

WMR
11-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Baylor could be the next USF, or the next UCF, it's location will allow it to keep coaches wondering what might be.

Because he's a bad coach? :D

Krono!!! ;)

Unassisted
12-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Looks like only the first 3 coaches on the poll list got the sack.

paintmered
12-01-2007, 02:40 PM

Ahem.

KronoRed
12-01-2007, 02:44 PM
I think losing 6 straight to the puppies was too much for the alumni.

Rumors are they plan to make a big push for Spurrier.

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2007, 01:44 AM
Rumors going around the UCLA boards that Karl Dorrell will be fired and replaced by Steve Mariucci.

MaineRed
12-02-2007, 01:59 AM
I think losing 6 straight to the puppies was too much for the alumni.

Rumors are they plan to make a big push for Spurrier.

Atlanta to Augusta = 145 miles

Columbia to Augusta = 81 miles

Connection that got him into Augusta, probably a SC grad. Just a guess there though.

I'm half kidding. I kind of figured the visor might go down to LSU if Miles left.

KronoRed
12-02-2007, 02:21 AM
Rumors going around the UCLA boards that Karl Dorrell will be fired and replaced by Steve Mariucci.

How does Mariucci continue to get head gigs?

KronoRed
12-02-2007, 02:21 AM
I kind of figured the visor might go down to LSU if Miles left.

Not a chance, he wants a place with low expectations, where they are just happy to get a bowl game.