PDA

View Full Version : Hatteberg on the future

Degenerate39
09-23-2007, 06:55 PM
Hatteberg on the future

In case you stopped here between fantasy football updates, here's something for you:

If the Reds are going to go with Joey Votto at first base -- and it seems like a lock they will -- it sounds like Scott Hatteberg would prefer they not pick up his $1.85 million option.

"Before I signed last year, some teams talked to me about being an extra guy," Hatteberg said. "Honestly, I'd really rather retire."

Of course, if the Reds pick up the option, Hatteberg will return.

"Obviously," he said. "That's the contract I signed."

Hatteberg could be done for this season. The strained oblique muscle has kept him from taking batting practice. He'll test it again Tuesday. If it's still bothering at the point, he's probably done for the year.

Mark you calendar: Redsfest is Dec. 7-8.

texasdave
09-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Hatteberg is a class act. I would not mind seeing him get to finish his career with the team of his choice. It sounds like he would not be a candidate for accepting arbitration. I would love to see him on the team next year; but I would be okay with offering him arbitration and getting a comp draft pick(s).

SMcGavin
09-23-2007, 08:41 PM
That's too bad, I'd really like to keep Hatteberg around as a bench guy in 2008.

GoReds33
09-23-2007, 08:45 PM
That's too bad, I'd really like to keep Hatteberg around as a bench guy in 2008.
With Keppinger, Freel, and Hopper this bench will be pretty deep. I would love to see him stay though.:)

RedsMightWin
09-23-2007, 10:12 PM
Im glad we didnt trade him. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

AmarilloRed
09-24-2007, 12:34 AM
It sounds like Hatteberg is against being a bench guy. My question is this-If the Reds do pick up his option and put him on the bench, will he retire or ask the Reds to trade him to a team where he would start?

ChatterRed
09-24-2007, 11:52 AM
I really like and respect Hatteberg. I'd love having him on this team as a bench guy. If he's not willing to sit on the bench for nearly $2 million and pep talk the young guys and occasionally spot start, pinch hit, etc.........then more power to him. At his age, other than maybe going to a contender, I'm not sure what he expects.

You also have to consider that if Votto is the starter next year, rookie's tend to get worn down having to play the longer season. Also, the injury bug can always pop up, so Hatte would still probably get plenty of at-bats.

I'd love to see him as a coach eventually. I think he has that kind of makeup.

Natty Redlocks
09-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Whatever. He knew it was possible when he signed. Luckily, the Reds know he's a professional and if they put him on the bench he won't be a baby about it.

GoReds33
09-24-2007, 07:07 PM
Whatever. He knew it was possible when he signed. Luckily, the Reds know he's a professional and if they put him on the bench he won't be a baby about it.Yeah, but the Reds also know that he has earned the right to retire right now. He played terrifically when with the Reds, and I would love to see him back. I just think that we owe it to him to let it be partially his decision.:)

Natty Redlocks
09-24-2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah, but the Reds also know that he has earned the right to retire right now. He played terrifically when with the Reds, and I would love to see him back. I just think that we owe it to him to let it be partially his decision.:)

I know what you mean, but his so-called "right" to retire is in conflict with their "right" to pick up the option he agreed to. There's nothing wrong with his making his preferences clear. But there's also nothing wrong with their holding him to what he agreed to. IMHO.

rotnoid
09-25-2007, 11:26 PM
I know what you mean, but his so-called "right" to retire is in conflict with their "right" to pick up the option he agreed to. There's nothing wrong with his making his preferences clear. But there's also nothing wrong with their holding him to what he agreed to. IMHO.

Maybe not, but Hatteberg is a class act. He's the kind of guy that would go to the front office and tell them his situation. I can't see the Reds hanging on to a guy if he doesn't want to be here. As much as I'd love to see Hatteberg back here next year, he's a second left handed first baseman, we've already got Votto so no platoon. The bench is going to be pretty deep with younger faster guys. He seems like the kind of guy they could offer arbitration to with the understanding that he'd decline and try to get on with a contender. More power to him, I'd like to see him back as a hitting instructor some time down the road though, so let's not burn any bridges.

muethibp
09-26-2007, 11:42 AM
I don't even see how this is a question. Is Hatteberg a value to this team as 1B insurance, pinch hitting and solid veteran presence? Of course. Is he paid at or below market value at $1.7MM (the difference between his buyout and 08 salary)? Yes. Then the option should be picked up. If someone that wants him to play more regularly wants to trade for him, fine. If he wants to retire, that's his thing. But we should not be in the habit of letting productive players under our control go to other teams just for the heck of it.

AmarilloRed
09-30-2007, 12:33 AM
Votto's ascension has increased the likelihood that veteran first baseman Scott Hatteberg's $1.85 club option for 2008 won't be picked up. That should put Votto on the inside track for the everyday first base job next spring.

I copied that from Reds notes on Reds.com. It seems the Reds are likely to not pick up the option, and that means Scott Hatteberg will probably be in a different uniform next year.