PDA

View Full Version : Manager Sweepstakes

jnwohio
09-24-2007, 01:08 AM
If the talking and writing heads that cover the Reds have their way, it looks like the Reds managerial situation is going to be on the front burner this week.

I'd say based on Mr. Castellini's comments to John Fay several days ago that MacKanin is in pretty good shape to get the interim removed form his title unless somebody with a proven track record comes in and really lights the place up in his interview.

I thought it was particularly interesting Castellini said that the team had really responded to MacKanin and if they went with somebody else it would have to be somebody to whom the team would respond in a similar way.

Just how does one go about judging that in advance? That's what makes me think the only way somebody else gets the nod is if they have a clear and very positive track record AND also sell themselves very well specifically in regards to the Reds situation. Also makes me wonder if some of the Reds players may be (or already have been) polled concerning how they feel about some of the other presumptive candidates because the way players move around now days, I would say it is probably much easier to get reliable info of this sort about how managers are truly regarded inside their clubhouse. Another source of such info might also be players' agents.

Fay mentioned Dusty Baker as someone perhaps still in the mix; and Bob Brenly's name has also lingered in conversations. However, I think it is LaRussa if he he wants it and can convince Castellini he still has drive to do the job right. Otherwise they will probably go thru the motions of interviewing then hire MacKanin.

The reporting heads seem to think the move will come quickly and have questioned why no details seem to be known yet. Well, I think it is for two reasons. One, somebody currently managing or coaching elsewhere is at least going to get an interview; and two, even if they have basically already decided to hire Mackanin, after the way Narron's tenure turned out, they aren't about to make it official without at least going through the motions of a complete search. (It often gets lost in the shuffle that DanO was hired after Miley's interim tenure and did in fact conduct a search before giving the permanent job to Miley who was supposedly Lindner and Allen's 1st pick over Dano's 1st choice who I believe was rumored to be none other than Pete Mackanin).

Natty Redlocks
09-24-2007, 03:24 PM
If Dusty Baker is anything more than a token interview I'll be surprised; if they actually hired him I'd seriously consider turning in my "Lil' Redhead" fan club membership badge.

I mean, if there were such a thing.

Jay Bruce
09-24-2007, 04:18 PM
If Dusty Baker is anything more than a token interview I'll be surprised; if they actually hired him I'd seriously consider turning in my "Lil' Redhead" fan club membership badge.

I would definitely have to agree with that. I don't want to see Bailey and Cueto go the way of Wood and Prior.

GoReds33
09-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Just wondering, but don't you think that somebody with a track record would know how to impress in an interview. Anybody who has been inside Major League baseball long enough should know how to conduct themselves. That's why I think the Reds might jump the gun and hire somebody like Brenley. I do agree that I couldn't stand Dusty Baker as a manager. Maybe I could take LaRussa, atleast he wins.

texasdave
09-24-2007, 06:08 PM
If they aren't going to fix the pitching staff, then they may as well sign Mackanin for a year. Because this staff is not close to being good enough to contend, IMO. The only caveat is if they plan to hire Larussa and he is bringing Duncan along with him.

GoReds33
09-24-2007, 06:20 PM
If they aren't going to fix the pitching staff, then they may as well sign Mackanin for a year. Because this staff is not close to being good enough to contend, IMO. The only caveat is if they plan to hire Larussa and he is bringing Duncan along with him.Duncan is a terrific pitching coach. I certainly hope he would come in the package.:)

jnwohio
09-24-2007, 07:34 PM
I agree with you all about Dusty. I just mentioned him because he is the only specific name (other than Pete and LaRussa) I had heard recently from one of the beat guys.

Look at what is left of Kerry Woods and Mark Prior and who knows maybe a couple of three other guys we weren't that familiar with then ask your self if you want that kind of thing happening to Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, Cueto, or Maloney. There is my reason for not wanting Dusty in the Reds dougout. (and hey those 5 I just named might make a heck of a rotation by2009).

redsfanmia
09-24-2007, 07:50 PM
DanO's choice was Brian Graham not Mac.

jnwohio
09-24-2007, 08:22 PM
DanO's choice was Brian Graham not Mac.

Sorry about that. I spent about 15 minutes trying to nail exactly who it was out of the Pirates org DanO told they had the job and couldn't get it either way. That is why I said rumored :-)

ChatterRed
09-24-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm fine with Pete getting the job. But it won't make one iota of a difference if they don't shore up the pitching - both relief and starting.

RedsMightWin
09-24-2007, 10:13 PM
I want Larussa maybe Torre then Pete. Although if Pete sucks Wayne needs to be fired.

Natty Redlocks
09-24-2007, 11:12 PM
Duncan is a terrific pitching coach. I certainly hope he would come in the package.:)

He would be the only reason to put up with LaRussa.

RedsFanWC
09-25-2007, 12:16 AM
Well Brenly does have a track record of taking two good starters and 3 average at best and riding them to a championship. Granted Harang and Arroyo arent Randy Johnson and Schilling, but I dont know if he wouldnt be worth considering.

WMR
09-25-2007, 12:43 AM

Think of the song parodies! :devil:

WMR
09-25-2007, 12:43 AM
Well Brenly does have a track record of taking two good starters and 3 average at best and riding them to a championship. Granted Harang and Arroyo arent Randy Johnson and Schilling, but I dont know if he wouldnt be worth considering.

Brenly is also the one who batted the horrible Tony Womack lead-off for a few seasons.

WMR
09-25-2007, 12:45 AM
I'll take Davy Johnson.

Natty Redlocks
09-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Think of the song parodies! :devil:

Tempting but not remotely worth it.

Will M
09-25-2007, 02:26 PM
If the talking and writing heads that cover the Reds have their way, it looks like the Reds managerial situation is going to be on the front burner this week.

I'd say based on Mr. Castellini's comments to John Fay several days ago that MacKanin is in pretty good shape to get the interim removed form his title unless somebody with a proven track record comes in and really lights the place up in his interview.

I thought it was particularly interesting Castellini said that the team had really responded to MacKanin and if they went with somebody else it would have to be somebody to whom the team would respond in a similar way.

Just how does one go about judging that in advance? That's what makes me think the only way somebody else gets the nod is if they have a clear and very positive track record AND also sell themselves very well specifically in regards to the Reds situation. Also makes me wonder if some of the Reds players may be (or already have been) polled concerning how they feel about some of the other presumptive candidates because the way players move around now days, I would say it is probably much easier to get reliable info of this sort about how managers are truly regarded inside their clubhouse. Another source of such info might also be players' agents.

Fay mentioned Dusty Baker as someone perhaps still in the mix; and Bob Brenly's name has also lingered in conversations. However, I think it is LaRussa if he he wants it and can convince Castellini he still has drive to do the job right. Otherwise they will probably go thru the motions of interviewing then hire MacKanin.

The reporting heads seem to think the move will come quickly and have questioned why no details seem to be known yet. Well, I think it is for two reasons. One, somebody currently managing or coaching elsewhere is at least going to get an interview; and two, even if they have basically already decided to hire Mackanin, after the way Narron's tenure turned out, they aren't about to make it official without at least going through the motions of a complete search. (It often gets lost in the shuffle that DanO was hired after Miley's interim tenure and did in fact conduct a search before giving the permanent job to Miley who was supposedly Lindner and Allen's 1st pick over Dano's 1st choice who I believe was rumored to be none other than Pete Mackanin).

Haven't we been through this before with Miley & Narron?
Just because the Reds played OK for 2 months doesn't mean Pete is the best candidate for manager.

AmarilloRed
09-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Is good record enough?
Mackanin's 40-34 mark might not sway decision
By C. Trent Rosecrans
Post staff reporter
GENE J. PUSKAR/Associated Press
Pete Mackanin has received signals from top Reds executives that they are pleased with the job he's done since replacing Jerry Narron.

The only off-season development Reds interim manager Pete Mackanin is allowing himself to look forward to is an upcoming European vacation with his wife.

With at least six games remaining starting today against the Astros at Great American Ball Park, Mackanin's vacation plans are certain, while little else is.

General manager Wayne Krivsky and owner Bob Castellini have given public support of Mackanin's job performance in 74 games, but not of his future.

Krivsky was unwilling to publicly speculate on the Reds' manager position when asked on Sunday.

"I've got nothing to say about that other than what we've said from day one, we'll evaluate that at the end of the season and go from there," Krivsky said before the Reds' loss to the Giants.

Mackanin took over a team with the worst record in baseball and has them with a chance to finish third in the National League Central with a week left in the season.

It's hardly Jack McKeon leading the Marlins to a World Series title in 2003 after taking over at midseason, but it's still an accomplishment. The Reds have the second-best record in the National League Central since July 3, when Mackanin managed his first game. The Reds have gone 40-34 under Mackanin.

"You can look at we're just six games over .500, you have to realize that's a team that was 20 games under. That's a big turnaround," said Reds closer David Weathers.

Under Mackanin, several Reds players have thrived. The biggest turnaround has been right-handed reliever Jared Burton.

Narron hardly used Burton, and after the Rule 5 draft pick from Oakland walked three batters in his first outing, it hardly seemed like anything but the correct decision.

Still, Krivsky believed in Burton's ability enough to keep him on the major league roster, allowed the Reds to keep his rights.

Before Mackanin took over, Burton was not used in a game with a lead.

Mackanin came in with a fresh view and put Burton in pressure situations. The 26-year old from South Carolina became one of the Reds' most trusted relievers and helped solidify the eighth inning, which had haunted the Reds under Narron.

Since Mackanin took over, the Reds are 34-7 in games that they led or were tied after seven innings. Under Narron, the Reds were 29-16 in games they led or were tied after seven innings.

Burton has 1.62 ERA in 36 appearances since Mackanin took over.

Others who have thrived under the chance Mackanin has given them are center fielder Norris Hopper (.336 average) and infielder Jeff Keppinger (.342).

Mackanin has also brought his own personality, one that is more relaxed, but still intense at times.

"He came into a tough situation. The players responded to him very well," Krivsky said. "He wasn't afraid of the challenge, he jumped right in. He put his mark on the team with his personality and the players responded in a positive way. He did some things as far as pregame preparation that were positives in my opinion. I can't say enough about the job he's done."

The last two Reds managers started as interim managers and then were made full-time managers. Dave Miley was hired after the 2003 season and Narron was hired during the last week of the 2005 season.

Krivsky still wouldn't even approach the subject of 2008.

"That's why it's hard being an owner and a GM," Weathers said. "Every game matters, but once you get 20 games under, you've got nothing to lose. You can take chances. Jerry did some things different when he took over starting in the spring. It's different."

Mackanin served as the interim manager for the Pirates in 2005 but didn't receive consideration for the full-time job. The Pirates hired Jim Tracy, who had a winning record in four of his five seasons managing the Los Angeles Dodgers. The Pirates have not had a winning record in Tracy's two seasons, losing 95 games last season and 90 so far this season.

Mackanin has a total of 18 seasons of managerial experience in the minors and winter leagues, and has 917 victories and two championships in 13 seasons in the minors. He also led a team to the Caribbean Series title in 1988-89.

"Pete's been successful wherever he's been, and I don't think that's an accident," Weathers said.

Mackanin's boss in Cincinnati has been impressed with his winning ways with the Reds, but won't say if it's enough to return next season.

"I think he's opened some eyes. He's made the most of this opportunity," Krivsky said. "He's showed the baseball community he's a big league baseball manager. I feel good that he was the right man at the right time to help us."

But is the time right for Mackanin to be the right man permanently? Only Krivsky's vote counts.

A good article. I suppose we will all find out in due course.

RedsMightWin
09-25-2007, 02:45 PM
I read that and saw Trent and just skipped over the rest of it. That guy is a snake.

Carin4Narron
09-25-2007, 04:00 PM
If Pete Mac gets the job for next season, the cycle continues. He WILL be replaced by mid season. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH FOR GOD'S SAKE. GET A PLAN REDS MANAGEMENT! Sorry,but I am one frustrated fan who is FED UP!

ThirdBaseCoach
09-25-2007, 05:38 PM
If Pete Mac gets the job for next season, the cycle continues. He WILL be replaced by mid season. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH FOR GOD'S SAKE. GET A PLAN REDS MANAGEMENT! Sorry,but I am one frustrated fan who is FED UP!

and who is your choice for skipper? a "proven winner"? who might that be?

Carin4Narron
09-26-2007, 12:27 AM
and who is your choice for skipper? a "proven winner"? who might that be? Not a 3rd rate bench coach or a fricking advance scout. I prefer someone with ''post season experience''

fewfirstchoice
09-26-2007, 03:45 AM
1)D.Johnson
2)J.Girardie(spelling)Marlins old manager
3)L.Mazzone(learned form Cox,worth a shot)
4)B.Hatcher(yes before Mac,I thought he should have been given it before Mac.)
5)B.Larkin

Theres my list.A little out of the norm of the way most think.But i believe any of those would make a great manager.Whats your list?

redsfanmia
09-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Mac will get it because he will be the cheapest option.

texasdave
09-26-2007, 10:57 AM
If you are looking for a way-out-in-left-field candidate - Brad Ausmus. That is if he retires.

WMR
09-26-2007, 02:59 PM
If you are looking for a way-out-in-left-field candidate - Brad Ausmus. That is if he retires.

Wow, nice one Texas Dave. He's an incredibly bright guy... wonder how "new school" he is when it comes to line-up construction and player utilization?

jnwohio
09-26-2007, 11:52 PM

My out of left field candidate is Dave Duncan. Don't know whether he could be separated from LaRussa or would be interested in Cincy but the way to start turning the pitching around might be to put a guy in charge who has a track record at producing good pitching at the MLB level.

Ausmus could very well turn out to be the same type of guy in a few years; but it seems to me to be a big risk to give him a manager's position at this point. Has he ever managed at winter ball?

In my opinion MacKanin has surpassed anything that Joe Giraldi accomplished as a manager. I think maybe that might be why Giraldi seems to have disappeared from all the media talk and short lists.

The way this last week is unfolding, I get a feeling a decison may have already been made on Mackanin. Krivsky's comments about him in C.Trent's article seemed very strong to me. But were they a justification for why he is going to hire him or a public reference to maybe help him get hired by another org?

Yet another possibility is that Krivsky is sold on MacKanin but Castellini isn't ready to sign off; and Krivsky's remarks were meant to influence some potential candidate(s) into backing off the Reds job and to concentrate on other job's that are more wide open.

I guess we will know in a couple of weeks.

fewfirstchoice
09-27-2007, 02:02 AM
Sorry but Mac hasnt done anything close to what Joe did in Flordia.Id take Girardi hands down.

Carin4Narron
09-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Ever listen to Girardi on Fox or Yes? He has a high opinion of himself. I doubt if that act would work with the oh hum atitude that the players have here.

WMR
09-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Ever listen to Girardi on Fox or Yes? He has a high opinion of himself. I doubt if that act would work with the oh hum atitude that the players have here.

Ramp101 is a great poster here, and is a BIG Marlins fan, and he has gone on record saying Girardi was worse than Narron.

09-29-2007, 06:07 AM
Why does everyone hate Baker?
He is a three time manager of year winner. The guy finished first or second 9 of 14 years managing, and took the Giants to the seventh game of the World Series and was a Bartman fan blunder from taking the Cubs to the World Series.
He has won 103 games once, and at least 90 five times.
I'm not sure he should be manager next year, but some people act like he's the second coming of Vern Rapp.

WMR
09-29-2007, 06:19 AM
He is a three time manager of year winner. The guy finished first or second 9 of 14 years managing, and took the Giants to the seventh game of the World Series and was a Bartman fan blunder from taking the Cubs to the World Series.
I'm not sure he should be manager next year, but some people act like he's the second coming of Vern Rapp.

His biggest goal is ruining a starting pitcher's arm, it seems.

I'd rather Bailey be Jewish and turn him over to the Nazis than allow Dusty Baker to control Homer Bailey's pitch count (slight exaggeration... SLIGHT!!) ;)

jnwohio
09-29-2007, 11:28 AM
My biggest concern about Dusty is his history with pitchers' arms (check out Kerry Woods and Mark Prior for starters).

However as one of those who dates back to when the '70's when Reds vs. Dodgers were the nearest thing of their day to Yanks vs. RedSox today, it would be tough for me to get used to Dusty in a Reds uniform. And that is meant as a compliment. I preferred to see Garvey or Cey, or a few years later Pedro Guerrero up there for the Dodgers in a tight situation instead of having to face Dusty.

But then Mike Scioscia doesn't look all that bad in Red these days, so if Dusty's results with the Reds were similar to Scioscia with the Angels, I could learn to accept him in Red.

Jay Bruce
09-30-2007, 01:49 PM

Besides ruining the arms of promising pitchers, the other huge problem I have with Baker is that he doesn't value On-Base Percentage. This is a guy who wanted Cesar Izturis, Tony Womack, Ronny Cedeno and Neifi Perez on the roster at the same time!

"On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage, clogging up the bases isn't that great to me". Baker said this after he was asked if he thought his team needed to walk more, since they had only a .318 OBP. This quote shows a complete lack of understanding for the game, and is proof that Baker should never go near a team as manager again.

ThirdBaseCoach
09-30-2007, 06:51 PM
1)D.Johnson
2)J.Girardie(spelling)Marlins old manager
3)L.Mazzone(learned form Cox,worth a shot)
4)B.Hatcher(yes before Mac,I thought he should have been given it before Mac.)
5)B.Larkin

Theres my list.A little out of the norm of the way most think.But i believe any of those would make a great manager.Whats your list?

you are kidding about your list, right? are you trying for sarcasm?

ThirdBaseCoach
09-30-2007, 06:53 PM
dusty blew their chances in 2003 and went downhill from there until utter collapse in 2006. he would play neffie perez every day if he had the chance.

Screwball
09-30-2007, 07:05 PM
"On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage, clogging up the bases isn't that great to me".

:lol::laugh: That's probably the most absurd thing I've ever heard a manager say. It really does boggle the mind how somebody could be involved in a sport for that long, and still have such a gross misunderstanding of the game. Clogging up the bases?? He must be reading too much reds.com.

markymark69
10-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Now that the season is complete. How soon do the Reds name a Manager? Obviously it will be after the World Series. By Thanksgiving? RedsFest? Christmas? January?

My thought is they will have someone in place by the first of December as a good prelude to RedsFest.

Although I liked what Mackanin and really wouldn't mind seeing him back. I think if he was going to be the man, he would already have the job, i.e. Cecil Cooper in Houston.

I think they go for a big name and possibly someone not expected like Dusty Baker, Ken Macha or Bobby Valentine.

My choice would be Macha.

HokieRed
10-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Hopefully, as soon as Dave Johnson says yes.

steig
10-01-2007, 12:27 PM
I think by Thanksgiving and I'm hoping for Bob Brenly or LaRussa.

podgejeff_
10-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Please dear God not Dusty Baker...

jnwohio
10-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Hopefully, as soon as Dave Johnson says yes.

I heard Daugherty talking to Davey Johnson maybe 6 weeks ago. Davey did not seem at all interested. Says he is very happy and committed to doing what he is doing now (running the Dutch national team for the Olympics etc). He went so far as to say they needed to be looking inside their org for a person who had knowledge of the peronnel. Anyone want to take a guess at who (if anybody) he was trying to speak up for? He did not offer any names; and, I am clueless.

As far as timing of the hire, most the talking and writing heads have said they expect it to be quick, whatever that means. From some of the context, I would say they think before the WorldSeries or right after at the latest. (I believe Mr. Selig's unofficial protocols allow for managerial announements on off days and between series). My question about this is if they are waiting for Mr. LaRussa to make up his mind at least 2 different ways before coming to Reds could even be near the top of his list, how quick is that?

AmarilloRed
10-02-2007, 12:56 AM
I imagine the manager search will begin in earnest after the World Series is over

jnwohio
10-02-2007, 08:24 PM
I imagine the manager search will begin in earnest after the World Series is over

I think the only way it takes that long is if they are still waiting for LaRussa to use the proverbial pot or get off of it.

The other thing that could stretch it out is if they were waiting to talk to a coach with one of the still active teams. But even in that situation there figure to be breaks between the levels when they could get a guy in for interview.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-03-2007, 12:03 AM

I'll let you in on a secret, the search began before they fired Jerry. BK did not make a fortune by waiting for things to happen around him before making decisions.

You people have to wake up.