PDA

View Full Version : Do you want Todd Coffey back in 2008?

AmarilloRed
09-24-2007, 01:53 AM
Back in training: When the season is over, reliever Todd Coffey will return home to North Carolina and plans to work with a personal trainer and nutritionist. After he led the pitching staff in appearances last season, Coffey took a step backward this season. He has a 6.32 ERA in 54 games and was sent to Triple-A three times.

"I figured I might as well get everything right and come back to Spring Training and pitch like I did in '06," Coffey said.

Good to hear. I also hope he can pitch next year like he did in 2006, and it sounds like he is taking some steps to try and make it happen. My question is this: Do you want Todd Coffey to be on the Reds roster in 2008? I voted Yes. I am one who hopes we can see a new Coffey next year.

redsupport
09-24-2007, 02:10 AM
I would like to send coffey to the ross sea

WMR
09-24-2007, 02:27 AM
It all depends on what he does this off-season.

He could stand to lose 50 pounds, easy.

Will that help with his "stuff"?

Maybe. Hopefully.

It seemed to me like he lost his confidence this season and things just snowballed from there.

UK Reds Fan
09-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Our BP will be improved next year, but not that much improved that we can't find a spot in the BP for Coffey to hopefully rebound and give us a decent season.

Typical 7 to 8 man BP next year:

For Sure:
Weathers
Burton
Bray
Countlangas

Probable:
Stanton (Contract)

Battling for last 3 spots:
Coffey
Salmon
Majewksi
McBeth

Unknown:
Eddie G and likelihood of Reds picking up his option

I would like to see Coffey get a final spot in the pen and maybe harness his solid fastball to locate it better and add some movement to his pitches. Todd is better than Majewski, so I'm hoping he can beat him out for one of final spots and Krivs has the logic to let go of the "Trade" and sail Maj into DFA land. Maj hasn't shown hardly a thing in 2 years and doesn't have plus stuff to boot.

rotnoid
09-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Given recent history, he'll be given more than enough chances to succeed. His contract for next year is already done. The Reds have been reluctant to let a guy go without running him out there over and over and over again, regardless of the results.

GoReds33
09-24-2007, 05:40 PM
I think that McBeth more than earned his roster spot with his performance since being demoted. Give the youngsters a shot. I think Coffey still has a shot. I voted no though, because I think he should start the season in AAA unless he proves himself in Spring Training.

DannyB
09-24-2007, 06:03 PM
If Todd has anything other than a fastball he needs to figure out how to use it.

justincredible
09-24-2007, 06:28 PM
In a word, no.

Degenerate39
09-24-2007, 07:22 PM
I'd rather see him in Triple A

jnwohio
09-24-2007, 08:41 PM
If he gets his body and mind in shape and earns a spot, I will be OK with Coffey. A little off topic but from the quote below, I think Coutlangus's erratic control knocks him down into the less than certain categories. Bray stays sure thing only because he is their best young leftie (no contract issues).

By spring Guardado may be the best of all the lefties they currently have; but it is going to be dicey getting his contract worked out. The option is too much of a risk, particularly with them already on the hook to Stanton for similar money. I think it probably takes a major league contract up front with some guaranteed money involved to keep him in a Reds uniform.

Our BP will be improved next year, but not that much improved that we can't find a spot in the BP for Coffey to hopefully rebound and give us a decent season.

Typical 7 to 8 man BP next year:

For Sure:
Weathers
Burton
Bray
Countlangas

Probable:
Stanton (Contract)

Battling for last 3 spots:
Coffey
Salmon
Majewksi
McBeth

Unknown:
Eddie G and likelihood of Reds picking up his option

I would like to see Coffey get a final spot in the pen and maybe harness his solid fastball to locate it better and add some movement to his pitches. Todd is better than Majewski, so I'm hoping he can beat him out for one of final spots and Krivs has the logic to let go of the "Trade" and sail Maj into DFA land. Maj hasn't shown hardly a thing in 2 years and doesn't have plus stuff to boot.

RedsMightWin
09-24-2007, 09:41 PM
If he goes to a shrink before every game I would love to have him around next year.

GoReds33
09-24-2007, 09:42 PM
If he goes to a shrink before every game I would love to have him around next year.
... and if we hire a shrink for a pitching coach. Dave Duncan anybody???:)

RedsMightWin
09-24-2007, 09:50 PM
... and if we hire a shrink for a pitching coach. Dave Duncan anybody???:)

I would turn everyone on the staff into a pitcher if Duncan was the pitching coach.

GoReds33
09-24-2007, 09:52 PM
I would turn everyone on the staff into a pitcher if Duncan was the pitching coach.Then we wouldn't have to sign big name guys. We would just sign guys like Tony Armas, and he would reinvent their careers.:)

RedsMightWin
09-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Then we wouldn't have to sign big name guys. We would just sign guys like Tony Armas, and he would reinvent their careers.:)

Bring in Roger Dorn as well

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/1998_Major_League:_Back_To_The_Minors/corbin_bernsen_major_league_back_to_the_minors_001 .jpg

AmarilloRed
09-25-2007, 01:51 AM
Pat of this is Coffey wanting to return to 2006 form, so let's look at Coffey's 2006 season.6-7, 3.58 ERA, 81 games, 8 Saves, 12 save opportunities, 78 IP, 85 hits, 34 runs , 31 earned runs 7 hr, 27 walks, and 60 strikeouts. Conclusions: His ERA was pretty good, but ERA can be deceptive for a reliever. He gave up more hits(85) than IP(78), which is not good. He did a good job in only allowing 7 hr in GABP in 78 innings, so I would like to see him do that again. He had a 2 to 1 strikeout ratio, but he did not have as many strikeouts as IP, which is not good for a pitcher with a good fastball. In short, he does need to get a lot of work done in the off-season AND have a good spring training or he will find himself in AAA at best and looking for a job at worst.

Carolina Red
09-25-2007, 08:56 AM
NO! Send him to the Cubs:)

BEETTLEBUG
09-25-2007, 01:10 PM
What would we get from Cubs for him?

AmarilloRed
09-25-2007, 02:14 PM
Let's ask for Carlos Marmol or Rich Hill. We won't get them, but it would be a good place to start the discussion. We would probably end up with Scott Eyre or Ryan Dempster, but that might be an upgrade over Todd Coffey.

Will M
09-25-2007, 02:24 PM
No.

I want a 2008 bullpen of Weathers, Burton, Bray, Coutlangas, Salmon & one acquisition of a solid reliever under age 35.

Coffey, Stanton, Majik & Saarloos - I never want to see them in a Reds uniform again.

Natty Redlocks
09-25-2007, 07:33 PM
Why do I have a feeling Dave Duncan would put Coffey in the starting rotation and get 15 wins out of him?

Actually, why the hell not try it? Nothing to lose at this point; it's not like they have no spots available in the rotation.

I'm sure there's some very good reason why this is the dumbest idea ever; perhaps someone (either here or in ORGeniusland) can enlighten me. Thank you very much.

AmarilloRed
09-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Why do I have a feeling Dave Duncan would put Coffey in the starting rotation and get 15 wins out of him?

Actually, why the hell not try it? Nothing to lose at this point; it's not like they have no spots available in the rotation.

I'm sure there's some very good reason why this is the dumbest idea ever; perhaps someone (either here or in ORGeniusland) can enlighten me. Thank you very much.

It is not the dumbest idea ever;I can attest to that. There have been plenty of much dumber ideas and I have come up with a few of them:). As to Coffey, did everyone feel the same about him in 2006 when he had such a good year?

GoReds33
09-25-2007, 10:13 PM

I would have complete faith in anything Duncan would do. Come to speak of it, why not bring his kids with him? Then we could have even more outfield depth.:)

rotnoid
09-26-2007, 12:20 AM

He'd need at least one more pitch that he can throw for a strike, not to mention stretching him out would put a lot of unnecessary stress on the bullpen early on. We've already tried to take relievers with average stuff and make them starters and we all know where that got Danny Graves.

Carolina Red
09-27-2007, 10:48 AM

A small amount of cash would be fine. Just knowing we would get to bat against him several times next season would be enough return for me.

demas863
09-27-2007, 02:24 PM

He does pitch "terrified". Reminds me a lot of Brandon Larson who could hit except in a major league uniform. If he could become confident that he could get his breaking ball over maybe all the internal "chemistry" going on when he enters the game would subside. I don't think sprinting in from the bullpen helps. In fact, given the 6.50 era, he looks like a cow unwittingly going to slaughter - tragically, quite funny. If his era were in the two's the sprint would be a signature of brilliance. Every Little Leaguer would be emulating it. Most observers seems to agree - no matter how hard you throw you can't be successful in the Majors with just the fastball unless it can be thrown with a lot of cut. He's got to develop his breaking ball. Same for Majewski.

Degenerate39
09-28-2007, 02:16 PM

Hopefully they would put him in the 8th inning in a close game so the Reds could get some home runs.