PDA

View Full Version : Milton Bradley out for season

Chip R
09-24-2007, 04:53 PM
Get this, his manager was trying to prevent him from going after the ump on a disputed call and ends up tearing Bradley's ACL. :eek:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AqWuEOZ1SyUQCPZ7xucyxYY5nYcB?slug=ap-padres-bradleyinjured&prov=ap&type=lgns

flyer85
09-24-2007, 04:54 PM
that is the most bizarre injury I can remember.

NJReds
09-24-2007, 04:59 PM
that is the most bizarre injury I can remember.

And yet fitting when you consider who got hurt.

Roy Tucker
09-24-2007, 05:09 PM
I saw this on ESPN last night. Something is really fishy here. Bradley claims the ump instigated his attack. The Padre 1B coach Bobby Meacham backs up Bradley on his story.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=276968

Bradley tears ACL, is done; Padres livid

Posted: September 24, 2007

SAN DIEGO -- Milton Bradley's latest dustup might cost the Padres dearly in their run for the playoffs.

Bradley injured his right knee during Sunday's bizarre run-in with umpire Mike Winters, apparently while being tackled by his manager. A published report Monday says Bradley likely will miss the remainder of the season with a torn ACL.

The diagnosis came from an MRI exam, according to a person with knowledge of the situation, who spoke Monday on condition of anonymity.

This comes as the Padres are clinging to a half-game lead in the wild-card race. Sunday's 7-3 loss to the Colorado Rockies leaves them just ahead of the Philadelphia Phillies. The Rockies, who swept their three-games series against the Padres, are 1 1/2 games back.

Adding to the incident are charges from the Padres that Bradley, known for his volatile on-field temper, was baited into the rhubarb by Winters.

Bradley called it "the most unprofessional and most ridiculous thing I've ever seen."

"It's terrible. And now, because of him, my knee's hurt," said Bradley, a second-half catalyst for the Padres who was in his third game back from an injury that sidelined him for nearly two weeks. "If this costs me my season because of that, he needs to be reprimanded. I'm taking some action. I'm not going to stand pat and accept this because I didn't do nothing wrong."

The incident is more bizarre because Bradley was injured while tangling with Padres manager Bud Black.

An inning before Bradley was injured, the Padres lost center fielder Mike Cameron after Bradley stepped on his right hand while the two pursued Garrett Atkins' inside-the-park home run.

As Bradley walked to the plate in the eighth, umpire Brian Runge asked Bradley if he had flipped his bat in Runge's direction after taking a called third strike to end the fifth.

"I said, 'Are you kidding me? That's ridiculous,' " Bradley said. "He said, 'Well, it was reported to me by the other umpires that you threw your bat at me.' And I said, 'That's completely ridiculous. I've done a lot of things. I'm trying to turn it around. I would never harm anybody.' "

Bradley singled, and after arriving at first base asked Winters if he told Runge he threw his bat. "He goes, 'Yeah, you did.' I go, 'Are you kidding me? That's completely ridiculous. If I strike out and the inning's over, why are you looking at me? Everything's always about me.' "

Then, a fan heckled Winters.

"I pointed to the guy in the crowd, affirming it," Bradley said.

Bradley said Winters responded with a string of expletives.

"That's when I went at him and he kicked me out," Bradley said.

First base coach Bobby Meacham began to restrain Bradley, and Black came running out. Bradley got away from Meacham, but Black grabbed him by the jersey.

Bradley was attempting to get free and, after a few seconds, Black spun Bradley around and the player collapsed. Bradley immediately grabbed his right knee and eventually had to be helped off the field.

"I was trying to pull Milton away from the argument," said Black, later ejected for arguing a checked-swing call against Adrian Gonzalez.

Crew chief Bruce Froemming wouldn't allow a reporter to speak with Winters.

Froemming said Bradley "got grumpy with Mike Winters. Winters told him to knock it off and he continued it. There is no covering up what he did. He had to be physically restrained."

Meacham defended Bradley.

"In 26 years of baseball, I can honestly say that's the most disconcerting conversation I have ever heard from an umpire to a player," Meacham said. "It was almost like he wanted to agitate the whole thing. He wanted to get Milton boiling for some reason. Milton, he held his cool. I was just appalled."

Padres CEO Sandy Alderson, a former general manager and president of the Oakland Athletics, said he'd never seen a player injured like that. "But as far as I'm concerned, it was necessary," he said.

Alderson used to work in the commissioner's office, where one of his duties was overseeing umpires.

"We're not going to sit by and see an umpire bait a player," Alderson said. He added that if the commissioner's office concludes the situation was handled appropriately, "I'll be shocked."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

flyer85
09-24-2007, 05:15 PM
the far more interesting part of the story would be to find out what Winters actually said that set off both the mild-mannered Meacham and the volatile Bradley.

redsmetz
09-24-2007, 05:32 PM
the far more interesting part of the story would be to find out what Winters actually said that set off both the mild-mannered Meacham and the volatile Bradley.

You're correct to characterize Bradley as volatile, but I hope MLB investigates this because there are some umpires who just seem to relish this type of confrontation. We've all seen it from time to time. Whatever happened to the day when an umpire walked away from a confrontation with a player and didn't take them head on.

flyer85
09-24-2007, 05:41 PM
You're correct to characterize Bradley as volatile, but I hope MLB investigates this because there are some umpires who just seem to relish this type of confrontation. We've all seen it from time to time. Whatever happened to the day when an umpire walked away from a confrontation with a player and didn't take them head on.Umpires should never be instigators, and clearly Winters said something that even got Meachem all fired up.

It will be interesting to see if MLB actually addresses the problem or sweeps it under the rug and throws the entire episode on Bradley.

TOBTTReds
09-24-2007, 06:24 PM
How was CB Buckner not involved?

Blimpie
09-24-2007, 06:38 PM
"It's terrible. And now, because of him, my knee's hurt," said Bradley, a second-half catalyst for the Padres who was in his third game back from an injury that sidelined him for nearly two weeks. "If this costs me my season because of that, he needs to be reprimanded. I'm taking some action. I'm not going to stand pat and accept this because I didn't do nothing wrong."All double-negatives aside, it sounds like Bradley cannot take responsibility for his own actions.

This is still a guy who had to be physically restrained because of something that someone MIGHT have muttered under their breath. Sticks and stones, my man.

Team Clark
09-24-2007, 07:18 PM
All double-negatives aside, it sounds like Bradley cannot take responsibility for his own actions.

This is still a guy who had to be physically restrained because of something that someone MIGHT have muttered under their breath. Sticks and stones, my man.

There was NOTHING muttered. Make no mistake about it. This was a very clear conversation. I have never been a big Bradley fan but from every report I have seen/read and having watched the full replay at least a dozen times it's clear he was "sucked in". I hope Bradley takes whatever "action" he said he was going to take. At some point umpires have to be accountable too.

Team Clark
09-24-2007, 07:19 PM
How was CB Buckner not involved?

Yeah really.... CB is a lightning rod.

Of all the umpires I would suspect something like this would happen, I would have put money on Angel Hernandez as the prime suspect. He's as classless as they come.

RedsManRick
09-24-2007, 07:27 PM
What did he say? Was it racial? A manhood check?

RedsBaron
09-24-2007, 07:32 PM
You're correct to characterize Bradley as volatile, but I hope MLB investigates this because there are some umpires who just seem to relish this type of confrontation. We've all seen it from time to time. Whatever happened to the day when an umpire walked away from a confrontation with a player and didn't take them head on.

I agree. If Winters in fact instigated the confrontation, he should be severely punished.

OnBaseMachine
09-24-2007, 08:27 PM
This was all Winters. This sucks for the Padres, Bradley has been their best offensive player since coming over. This injury clearly hurts their chances at reaching the playoffs.

Bradley to miss remainder of season
Outfielder tears knee ligament after ejection on Sunday
By Corey Brock / MLB.com

SAN FRANCISCO -- The San Diego Padres will be without left fielder Milton Bradley for the final week of the regular season.

According to a source, Bradley tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee after being restrained by manager Bud Black following his ejection from the Padres' 7-3 loss Sunday to Colorado.

The Padres are expected to officially announce Bradley's injury before Monday's game against the San Francisco Giants at AT&T Park.

Bradley will not only miss the final seven games of the regular season but the postseason should the Padres advance that far.

The Padres enter play on Monday 2 1/2 games behind first-place Arizona in the National League West and a half-game ahead of Philadelphia in the Wild Card standings.

And now they'll have to try to advance to the playoffs without one of their top offensive players.

After being obtained by the Padres from the A's on June 29, Bradley hit .313 and led the Padres in on-base percentage (.414) and slugging percentage (.590) in 42 games. He hit 11 home runs and had 30 RBIs after the trade.

Bradley also missed significant time with a hamstring and oblique injury.

Bradley was ejected from Sunday's game after an eighth-inning conversation with first-base umpire Mike Winters that had its origins to a fifth-inning at-bat.

Bradley was called out on strikes to end the fifth inning. Plate umpire Brian Runge told the Associated Press that Bradley "... flipped the bat right in front of me, about five to 10 feet in front of me."

Runge asked Bradley before his eighth-inning at-bat if Bradley had flipped his bat in the direction of Runge intentionally.

"He said, 'No,'" Runge said. "He said, 'Did he [Winters] tell you that I threw at you? He started to point at Mike. I said, 'No, no.' I even threw my hands up and told him to calm down."

Once Bradley arrived at first base, he engaged in what essentially appeared to be a tame conversation with Winters, who was standing behind him while play continued. That's when things got strange.

"I get a hit and I go to first base, and I asked him [Winters], 'Did you tell him I threw my bat at him?'," Bradley said. "He said, 'Yeah, you did.' I said, 'Are you kidding me? That's completely ridiculous. Why would you do that? Why were you even watching me? If I strike out, the inning's over, why are you even looking at me?'"

San Diego first base coach Bobby Meacham, who witnessed the entire incident, said that a fan in the seats down the first-base line yelled something from the stands directed toward Winters.

"Someone from the stands booed the umpire and Milton pointed to the guys in the stands. He didn't say anything, [he] didn't look at him. Then the umpire went off on Milton and called him a name," Meacham said. "If he had said that to me, I would have charged him."

The incident on Sunday was witnessed by Padres CEO Sandy Alderson, who told the Associated Press that "umpires are not supposed to react as emotionally as the players. They are there to control and manage the game. They are not the game.

"The only thing we can do is make sure the league takes a look at this and makes sure it was handled appropriately."

The Padres will likely use Scott Hairston primarily in Bradley's absence, though Terrmel Sledge and Brady Clark could also see time in left field.

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070924&content_id=2227626&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

MrCinatit
09-24-2007, 08:44 PM
Bradley had been mumbling about the umpiring during the entire game, so it is not like he is completely absolved. He, in turn, could have mumbled a few personal comments about the umpires. (EDIT: looking at OBM's article, it seems Bradley was provoked big time. Sounds to me like Winters should be serving a suspension himself.)
However, the thing which gets me most about this is that how, more and more, it seems umpires are becoming more and more a part of the spotlight. Are they jealous of the attention the players are getting? I thought the men in blue were supposed to be professionals and peace keepers - not drama queens and attention magnets.

mth123
09-24-2007, 09:14 PM
Suspension? Not unless its permanent.

This guy needs to be told to move on with his life. If Gambling is baseball's primary sin, umpires who actually create situations rather than simply ruling on them should be a close second IMO.

MWM
09-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the ump was the instigator. I believe umps, in general, are every bit as antagonistic as the players. It seems like they're the ones looking for fights half the time.

RedFanAlways1966
09-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Bradley singled, and after arriving at first base asked Winters if he told Runge he threw his bat. "He goes, 'Yeah, you did.' I go, 'Are you kidding me? That's completely ridiculous. If I strike out and the inning's over, why are you looking at me? Everything's always about me.' " Then, a fan heckled Winters. "I pointed to the guy in the crowd, affirming it," Bradley said.

Let's pretend for a minute that Milton Bradley gets to 1st base and keeps his big mouth shut. Would Milton Bradley now be out for the season?

First base coach Bobby Meacham began to restrain Bradley, and Black came running out. Bradley got away from Meacham, but Black grabbed him by the jersey. Bradley was attempting to get free and, after a few seconds, Black spun Bradley around and the player collapsed. Bradley immediately grabbed his right knee and eventually had to be helped off the field.

Let's pretend for a minute that Milton Bradley acted like an normal-thinking adult and did not breakaway from his coach or did not need to be physically restrained by his own team. Would Milton Bradley be out for the season?

The umpire should not instigate things. But a grown man should act like one. There is plenty of history that shows Bradley to be a nut-job. I hate to see anyone get injured. But the injured party could have done numerous things to avoid the situation that got him injured. Umpires are human and not without fault. However, if this human umpire did not seem to start the instigating (read the 1st quote above).

Team Clark
09-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Here's a blurb I just picked from ESPN.com. Glad to see Sandy Alderson respond. Of all the people I have met in and around Baseball Sandy is my all time favorite. He helped me several years ago with an issue regarding the Reds. The guy simply doesn't fool around. I wish he were still in MLB's hierarchy.

Padres CEO Sandy Alderson, a former general manager and president of the Oakland Athletics, said he'd never seen a player injured like that. Asked about Black's actions, though, Alderson said: "But as far as I'm concerned, it was necessary."

Alderson used to work in the commissioner's office, where one of his duties was overseeing umpires.

"We're not going to sit by and see an umpire bait a player," Alderson said. He added that if the commissioner's office concludes the situation was handled appropriately, "I'll be shocked."

Alderson and general manager Kevin Towers didn't immediately return calls seeking comment on Monday.

cincinnati chili
09-25-2007, 01:40 PM
I was watching the game, as I've been enjoying the Rockies' 8-game winning streak and playoff run.

I think people are jumping to a lot of conclusions before they know what Winters said.

RedsManRick
09-25-2007, 02:22 PM
There's plenty of blame to go around here. That Winters actions led to a series of events which eventually end in Milton Bradley's torn ACL (MCL?) is essentially irrelevant. That he (supposedly) made completely inappropriate comments to a player, arguably with the intent to incite a given reaction, is the entire problem.

If the accusations are correct, Winters acted unprofessionally and should be reprimanded accordingly. Had Bradley just ignored him, the act would be no less wrong or deserve any less punishment. That Bradley exploded and eventually tore up his knee should have no bearing on the scope of the punishment.

Something along the lines of a month suspension without pay and some additional training seems appropriate to me.

pedro
09-25-2007, 02:28 PM
does anyone know how long Winters has been an ump?

I ask b/c it seems to me that a lot of the younger umps are much more likely to involve themselves in the game and bait players. MLB really needs to get this under control IMO.

Blimpie
09-25-2007, 04:52 PM
I think people are jumping to a lot of conclusions before they know what Winters said.Bingo.

Until we get confirmation if/what "name" he called Bradley, I am not ready to say Bradley is innocent of jack-squat.

I think Bradley's body of work speaks for itself; on the other hand, people (namely, Padres fans) are still trying to dig up anything they can on Winters.

Wake me when the story becomes 'Bradley vindicated in his attempt to assault a MLB umpire'...Spare me the life.

Chip R
09-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Winters has been suspended for the rest of the regular season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3037237

bucksfan2
09-26-2007, 03:12 PM
This is a shame. First of all Bradley is truely a lightening rod, both for his team and also with his temper. He had no right reacting the way he did. That said this umpire probably should be fired from his position. In no means what so ever should an umpire bait or even talk to a player or coach during an arguement. It bothers me when a manager questions a call and the manager and umpire go at it. Yelling, spitting, cursing at eachother. Umpires are paid, and paid well, to call the game and be out of the spotlight. This is just a sad situation in baseball and new guidelines should be laid in dealing with umpires and thier contact with players or coaches.

pedro
09-26-2007, 03:29 PM
September 26, 2007

Winters suspended

Major League Baseball announced today that umpire Mike Winters has been suspended for the remainder of the 2007 regular season for his conduct during Sunday's game between the Colorado Rockies and the Padres at Petco Park.

The punishment of Winters validates the comments made by Padres outfielder Milton Bradley and first-base coach Bobby Meacham, who had said that Winters provoked Bradley by calling him a "bleeping piece of (expletive" while standing behind first base.

Meacham confronted Winters, then was followed by Bradley, who ultimately suffered a season-ending knee injury when Manager Bud Black sent him to the ground while trying to restrain him.

On Tuesday, Meacham told the Union-Tribune that in interest of truth and justice, Winters should apologize and face discipline from MLB, and he said that Bradley deserved to be fully cleared. "The truth matters," Meacham said.

Team Clark
09-26-2007, 04:10 PM
September 26, 2007

Winters suspended

Major League Baseball announced today that umpire Mike Winters has been suspended for the remainder of the 2007 regular season for his conduct during Sunday's game between the Colorado Rockies and the Padres at Petco Park.

The punishment of Winters validates the comments made by Padres outfielder Milton Bradley and first-base coach Bobby Meacham, who had said that Winters provoked Bradley by calling him a "bleeping piece of (expletive" while standing behind first base.

Meacham confronted Winters, then was followed by Bradley, who ultimately suffered a season-ending knee injury when Manager Bud Black sent him to the ground while trying to restrain him.

On Tuesday, Meacham told the Union-Tribune that in interest of truth and justice, Winters should apologize and face discipline from MLB, and he said that Bradley deserved to be fully cleared. "The truth matters," Meacham said.

Glad to see something was done. If this were Carl Everett Winters would have been knocked on his butt. I imagine we will hear on Bradley's suspension tomorrow??

pedro
09-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Personally I think an ump who does this should be fired.

RFS62
09-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Personally I think an ump who does this should be fired.

I do too. I'm sick to death at umps who think they're the reason we watch the games.

C.B. Buckner, Joe West, Angel Hernandez.... can't stand any of these guys.

IslandRed
09-26-2007, 10:38 PM
If I was king of baseball, I'd have no tolerance for either the Milton Bradleys or the Mike Winters of the game. Keep it professional or else. Bellyaching, baiting or any other kind of nonsense would find you ejected, suspended or fired. My reign would probably find most of the managers and half of the umpires unemployed by the All-Star break, but they'd adjust.

RedFanAlways1966
09-26-2007, 10:40 PM
I wonder how many times a player or manager have called an umpire a bleeping piece of expletive during an argument? :D

However, as said, umpires should not say these things to players/managers/coaches while on the field. Never. They are authority figures in the game and are there to maintain order/control, not start an argument. I am glad that MLB took the action against Winters and I hope he is suspended for more than just 5 games. Perhaps 2 weeks would be a legit punishment. I am not for firing him this time. If he does it again, then he should be fired.

Still does not give Bradley an excuse to go wild and cause his coach & manager to have to restrain him. I feel bad for his injury, but think he could have behaved in a manner that would have caused him no more damage than an ejection. If only Milton had gone to first base after his single and kept his mouth shut...

pedro
09-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Clearly Bradley was also wrong for not taking the high road, but he's a player, not the one whose paid to enforce the rules.

remdog
09-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Bradley is no angel but I'm glad that MLB refused to look the other way on Winters' conduct. They did the right thing, IMO, and maybe that will send a message.

Rem

mth123
09-27-2007, 06:10 AM
It's the major leagues. The umpires at this level are supposed to be the best of the best as in the highest level at any other walk of life. Umpires who instigate or escalate conflict shouldn't make the cut IMO. Part of the umpire's job is to control the game and umpires who do this are failing at their job the same as if they miss balls and strike calls or blow calls on the bases. I have no idea if Winters has a tendency for this or if this is a one time incident, but I wouldn't be tolerant. If it's a pattern, he'd be gone for good for sure. If it's an isolated incident, he'd still be gone for a long time.

Bradley's injury really shouldn't be a factor in the decision but it certainly makes the issue more publicized and Winters may need to take the fall for PR reasons. I agree with those who think Bradley shares a lot of the blame, but that doesn't change anything concerning how Winters should be dealt with. If Bradley was out of line, he should be dealt with too.

I agree completely with Island Red when he says:

If I was king of baseball, I'd have no tolerance for either the Milton Bradleys or the Mike Winters of the game. Keep it professional or else. Bellyaching, baiting or any other kind of nonsense would find you ejected, suspended or fired. My reign would probably find most of the managers and half of the umpires unemployed by the All-Star break, but they'd adjust.

I nominate Island Red for King of Baseball.

MrCinatit
09-27-2007, 08:00 AM
I wonder how many times a player or manager have called an umpire a bleeping piece of expletive during an argument? :D

However, as said, umpires should not say these things to players/managers/coaches while on the field. Never. They are authority figures in the game and are there to maintain order/control, not start an argument. I am glad that MLB took the action against Winters and I hope he is suspended for more than just 5 games. Perhaps 2 weeks would be a legit punishment. I am not for firing him this time. If he does it again, then he should be fired.

Still does not give Bradley an excuse to go wild and cause his coach & manager to have to restrain him. I feel bad for his injury, but think he could have behaved in a manner that would have caused him no more damage than an ejection. If only Milton had gone to first base after his single and kept his mouth shut...

Exactly. It's like getting kneed in the groin by a highway state patrol man for not using a signal.
Like many, I am not a Milton Bradley fan at all. When Oakland dumped him earlier this year, I hoped with all my might the Reds would not pick him up. Bradley is that special kind of clubhouse poison a ball club does not need. He is a putz.
But, I did not see him toss his bat at Winters (maybe I missed it). There is absolutely no reason an umpire should be the instigator in an incident like this. And, as much as I hate to see another person lose his job, a lot of me does hope Winters never sees a major league diamond from field level ever again.

Unassisted
09-27-2007, 10:49 AM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/padres/20070927-9999-1s27umpire.html

Today, Bradley is to undergo season-ending surgery to repair the ligament tear he suffered after falling as Meacham and Black tried to restrain him. Reds team doctor Tim Kremchek is to perform the surgery in Cincinnati.

remdog
09-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Bradley didn't throw his bat at Winters. Winters told the home plate umpire that Bradley tossed the bat towards him after he had previously struck out. It was a full rotation in the batting order before it was brought up to Bradley.

Winters seems the instigator in the whole thing. The HP umpire didn't see anything----he was just questioning off of what Winters told (implied?) him

Rem

RedsBaron
09-27-2007, 10:27 PM
Winters got off easy. I would have suspended him for at least a month.

pedro
09-27-2007, 10:30 PM
Winters got off easy. I would have suspended him for at least a month.

As I said earlier I'd have fired him.

jmcclain19
09-28-2007, 02:39 AM
As I said earlier I'd have fired him.

Exactly - there are a huge number of guys in AAA & AA waiting for their chance to be a big league umpire. Why keep around the bad eggs?

Cedric
09-28-2007, 02:51 AM
Exactly - there are a huge number of guys in AAA & AA waiting for their chance to be a big league umpire. Why keep around the bad eggs?

You mean why worry about his life and the time he has put into the game? The guy might have made one big bonehead mistake. Does that justify firing him and ruining his life? Nobody knows what Milton Bradley has called Mike Winters through the years. He might have insulted his mother/sister/father every game for all we know.

Umpires aren't loved by the fans, but they have a life and a family to support. He has paid his dues and deserves a second shot, IMO.

jmcclain19
09-28-2007, 03:08 AM
You mean why worry about his life and the time he has put into the game? The guy might have made one big bonehead mistake. Does that justify firing him and ruining his life? Nobody knows what Milton Bradley has called Mike Winters through the years. He might have insulted his mother/sister/father every game for all we know.

Umpires aren't loved by the fans, but they have a life and a family to support. He has paid his dues and deserves a second shot, IMO.

I'm certainly not saying that Bradley's blameless in all this. He's certainly done enough childlike acting over the years to more than earn his fare share of the blame.

But if I'm at the top of my profession - and one day at work I get pissed off and in the middle of a crowded meeting I stood up and loudly called someone a bleeping piece of expletive - I wouldn't have a job the next day. And neither should he.

Ltlabner
09-28-2007, 08:52 AM
But if I'm at the top of my profession - and one day at work I get pissed off and in the middle of a crowded meeting I stood up and loudly called someone a bleeping piece of expletive - I wouldn't have a job the next day. And neither should he.

If you are at the top of your profession and have been with a company for years and do something like that, sure you might be fired. But another reasonable outcome is that you boss pulls you aside as says "what the hell".

The idea that someone should be fired after one infraction is silly. Obviously if that "one infraction" is murder, punching your boss, or lighting the copy room on fire then termnation is reasonable and should be expected. But if you have one freakout in 20 years (but otherwise put in good work) most companies with a brain will deal with the situation but not kick a producer to the curb.

Now maybe the ump in this case has only been there a year. Or has been a horrable ump with a track record of problems. Or has instigated problems before. He screwed up in this case, and should be dealt with.

But let's not act like "the real world" is one second away from firing you for screwing up.

MWM
09-28-2007, 09:54 AM
Umpires aren't loved by the fans, but they have a life and a family to support.

Then he should be more responsible. I have family to support as well and I know that making sure I do everything I can to keep my job is critical not just to me but my family. If I did something as reckless and irresponsible as he did and I lost my job, i'd have no one to blame but myself. If him supporting his family is such a concern, then he should act in a manner that recongnizes that. He didn't and it could have dire consequences.

He has paid his dues and deserves a second shot, IMO.

Then bus him down to the minors for a year or two and let him earn it back.

westofyou
09-28-2007, 11:51 AM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/chat/chat.php?chatId=360

JD (arlen): Best Milton Bradley conspiracy theory???

Jim Baker: I'll be taking no shots at Mr. Bradley. This was a most unfortunate incident. I've seen umpires bait players and managers a bit too much. We need to find a middle ground between the freedoms the umpires have today and the beatings they routinely took in the 19th Century.