PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new Nippert stadium?

GoReds33
09-24-2007, 05:05 PM
I have been wondering about this for the past few years. In years past when UC football was selling 20,000 seats, and the games never sold out people didn't really consider a new UC football stadium. I personally love Nippert stadium. I think it is a very good family friendly atmosphere. The downside is when UC has years like this year, where the tickets are selling like hotcakes. Seeing the student section at the other night's UC game was awesome. I love how much UC students support their teams.

All of that brings me to my point. Does the University of Cincinnati need a new football stadium, or atleast need to add about 10,000 seats to the current one. My awnser is yes to adding seats. I don't think that this university is in any condition to build a new stadium, though I do think that would have the greatest benefit.

My next question is if we did build a new stadium, where would it be? This campus is already overloaded with stuff. Maybe they could play at PBS for 2 or 3 years. I know they already play some games at PBS, but they need a stadium near, if not on campus, that can seat all the fans that want to come to the games.

I want to hear your thoughts.:)

cincinnati chili
09-24-2007, 05:27 PM
No way. When the Bearcats sell out for 2 consecutive seasons, contact me about the need for a new stadium or stadium expansion.

They've made a lot of nice improvements on the campus in the last decade or so. Leave the campus alone.

Roy Tucker
09-24-2007, 05:32 PM
Yeah, let's not get the cart before the horse. Let them have a few seasons of success and sell-outs before we cross that bridge.

Not to mention UC has gotten themselves into a financial pickle with the recent building splurges.

KronoRed
09-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Why not just have them share with the Bengals if space becomes an issue? other Universities do it.

GoReds33
09-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Why not just have them share with the Bengals if space becomes an issue? other Universities do it.That's why I pointed out that a university would be better suited having a stadium that was closer to campus. Students are usto having all the stuff they need right at their fingertips at college. Paul Brown is pretty far from UC.

paintmered
09-24-2007, 05:49 PM
No way. When the Bearcats sell out for 2 consecutive seasons, contact me about the need for a new stadium or stadium expansion.

They've made a lot of nice improvements on the campus in the last decade or so. Leave the campus alone.

The rest of the season is within a few hundred seats of selling out as well. So there will be three more sellouts this year.

That said, it's still premature to be talking about expanding Nippert. I think the biggest driver will be the season-ticket sales for 2008. There's only ~8,000 season tickets sold this year. It probably needs to exceed 20,000 before expansion becomes a priority. If they more than double, and that's a real possibility, then I think an expanded Nippert is the best option.

UC can probably find a way to add another 10,00 seats there, but not many more than that. Space is tight all around the stadium. The north endzone butts up against the rec center, the side opposite the pressbox has the most room but already has the second deck. The pressbox side is very close to a recently renovated TUC. The south endzone has CCM to deal with. Any expansion will be an engineering and architecture nightmare, but it is possible. Also, UC has PBS at its disposal for really large draws. OSU and Oklahoma are slated to play there in the coming years. It isn't a long term solution because it isn't as accessible to students.

The biggest priority is ensuring Brian Kelly stays for a very long time. Everything after that are details.

KronoRed
09-24-2007, 05:53 PM
That's why I pointed out that a university would be better suited having a stadium that was closer to campus. Students are usto having all the stuff they need right at their fingertips at college. Paul Brown is pretty far from UC.
I just think it would be a tremendous waste of money to build a new football stadium when one is available down by the river, besides UC's campus doesn't seem to have a ton of open space ready for a new stadium.

SeeinRed
09-24-2007, 06:44 PM
I think they should keep Nippert, but expanding is a few years out of the discussion IMO. Lets face it, if you ask a people about the history of UC football, especially outside of Cincy, they would look at you and probably say something like isn't it a realitively new program? People don't know how old the program is. Playing at the same location since 1902 is something that isn't heard of, and UC has kept the stadium up to date exceptionally well. What does it mean to play in the same stadium for that long? Probably not a whole lot, especially in UC's case, but it is something I would hate to see them get rid of. Just my opinion though.

GoReds33
09-24-2007, 06:53 PM
I just think it would be a tremendous waste of money to build a new football stadium when one is available down by the river, besides UC's campus doesn't seem to have a ton of open space ready for a new stadium. I understand the lack of space. I pointed that out in the beginning. I also understand the financial situation, especially after Varsity Village. I sort of wrote this to see what the view on Nippert stadium was for the future.

My only concern is that UC basketball is going to get a new arena before UC football gets a new stadium. If that happens I won't be happy. I have no problem keeping Nippert Stadium if we can't continue to fill that though.

I am also wondering what kinds of crowds this team could get if they were top 10-15 in the country, and were facing OSU at PBS. Does anybody think we could fill that place. I certainly do. They would have to use the endzone seats for the student sections.

paintmered
09-24-2007, 07:07 PM
I am also wondering what kinds of crowds this team could get if they were top 10-15 in the country, and were facing OSU at PBS. Does anybody think we could fill that place. I certainly do. They would have to use the endzone seats for the student sections.

The 2002 UC/OSU game at PBS sold out.

GoReds33
09-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Let's expand PBS!!! I'm joking, of course.

OSUredsFAN
09-24-2007, 08:24 PM

Thanks to OSU

GoReds33
09-24-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks to OSUWere any of you at the game in 2002?

paintmered
09-24-2007, 08:40 PM
Were any of you at the game in 2002?

:wave:

GoReds33
09-24-2007, 08:45 PM
:wave:Then tell me, what was the ratio, Bearcat fans, to OSU fans.:)

paintmered
09-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Then tell me, what was the ratio, Bearcat fans, to OSU fans.:)

Start of the game: 50/50

End of the game: 60/40 in favor of UC. The near upset won over the neutral crowd.

GoReds33
09-24-2007, 08:48 PM

End of the game: 60/40 in favor of UC. The near upset won over the neutral crowd.Not bad, I expected you to say 80/20 OSU fans.:)

Redlegs23
09-24-2007, 09:24 PM

End of the game: 60/40 in favor of UC. The near upset won over the neutral crowd.

I was at the game also, and I agree with your assessment. It might have even been more of a 60/40 OSU crowd at the beginning, and 60/40 UC crowd towards the end.

GoReds33
09-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Did you guys change any during the game or were you strictly UC or OSU?

Roy Tucker
09-25-2007, 09:09 AM
The biggest priority is ensuring Brian Kelly stays for a very long time. Everything after that are details.

You're 100% correct there, paint.

I think UC football is going to skyrocket the next 1-3 years under Kelly. The next Louisville. Kelly has the ability to recruit, excels at X's and O's, can sell to the public, and motivate the kids. I think he's the real deal and I predict top 15, if not top 10, success for UC in the next 3 years.

But when that happens, I think UC will be hard-pressed to keep him. Big East football is nothing to sneeze at, but when a *really* big program comes after him (upper echelon SEC, Big 10/12, PAC 10, or the NFL), it's going to be tough. That's when issues like expansion at Nippert will come into play.

BuckWoody
09-25-2007, 10:15 AM
I was at the game also, and I agree with your assessment. It might have even been more of a 60/40 OSU crowd at the beginning, and 60/40 UC crowd towards the end.
I was there and I'll agree with this as well...the crowd started off pro-Buckeye then veered to pro-Bearcat at the end. Not overwhelmingly either way though.

That game was played the weekend of the final series at Riverfront Stadium. Friday's Reds game got rained out so they had a day-night double header on Saturday. My day consisted of waking up (we had hotel rooms downtown all weekend), walking through Oktoberfest to get soemthing to eat on the way to Riverfront, watching the Reds-Phillies, walking next door to PBS to watch the Buckeyes-Bearcats, then walking back to Riverfront for the night game. I think we may have stopped at a few spots after the game on the way back to the hotel. ;)

Good times. :beerme:

SunDeck
09-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Well, given that UC's capital improvement funds are pretty much tapped out, this is a complete nonstarter unless the option to build new or upgrade is paid for by something other than public money. They shot their wad on the signature buildings by Michael Graves, Peter Eisenman and Frank Gehry.

Caveat Emperor
09-25-2007, 01:13 PM

Yup. Consistency and program development starts and ends with the man wearing the headset. Without a pedigree and history of winning to fall back on, the head coach is forced to sell himself to recruits. If Kelly can be that man, then he's more valuable to UC's long term health as a program than any other factor.

As to the issue of Paul Brown Stadium as a viable location for UC football, I think its an awful option and shouldn't be considered. I've never been to college game at a "shared space" venue that comes close to approaching the atmosphere generated at an on-campus facility.

I spent 3 years at a school that shared space with the local NFL team (Tulane) and 3 years at a school that had an on-campus facility (Toledo). The difference is night and day.

Chip R
09-25-2007, 01:42 PM
I haven't been to Nippert for about 5 years but I think it would be better if it were renovated. It's an OK place to watch a game. Besides Varsity Village, there is really no place close to the stadium to tailgate and soak in the college football atmosphere. Now maybe this has changed since I have been there but the locker rooms aren't even part of the stadium. It's high-schoolish. If you tear it down, unless you put a whole new stadium right there in its place, you're going to have the same problems with atmosphere as you do now. I'd think twice about moving the games down to PBS - except for the big ones. I know UC has been drawing well lately but would they draw well enough to fill up PBS? If they don't and have 10,15K empty seats there, they fail to look big time. Space is a problem on the UC campus unless they want to take out a bunch of space in Clifton. And then there is the money issue.

UC is having a nice ride now. Hopefully this will continue. But unless there are safety concerns, I'd wait a while before talking about renovation or a new stadium. If demand for UC football tickets is going to continue to be great, jack the price up on the tickets and you make a lot of money.

paintmered
09-25-2007, 10:53 PM
Some UC football propaganda:

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/06-oas-mediaplayer.html?content=mms://a1786.l810862024.c8108.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1786/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/cinn/07-08/video/m-footbl/09sep/092507_MarshHIGH_mfootbl_vid.wmv&school=cinn

jmcclain19
09-26-2007, 05:11 AM
UC of 2007 = Utah of 2005

Brian Kelly = Urban Meyer

Some other big time BCS school with open the bank vault for him and he'll come running (or flying thru the air in his case).

Be it Texas A&M, UCLA, Michigan, Mississippi State, Auburn - etc etc. Someone will pick him up. I wouldn't go planning on that stadium expansion just yet.

KronoRed
09-26-2007, 01:17 PM
UC does have something Utah never had, they don't have to go undefeated to get into the BCS.

Caveat Emperor
09-26-2007, 01:38 PM
UC does have something Utah never had, they don't have to go undefeated to get into the BCS.

True, but I think the vast majority of jobs in the B10, B12, and SEC are more desireable for a head coach than any Big East job, Cincinnati included.

Chip R
09-26-2007, 02:26 PM
The Louisville game is now a sellout. :)

paintmered
09-26-2007, 04:12 PM
True, but I think the vast majority of jobs in the B10, B12, and SEC are more desireable for a head coach than any Big East job, Cincinnati included.

Rich Rodriguez and Greg Schiano both turned down offers this past off-season to leave the Big East. Shoot, it took an NFL offer to get Bobby Petrino away from Louisville.

Redlegs23
09-27-2007, 08:16 PM
Louisville & West Virginia are both sellouts now. Less than 4,000 tickets left for UCONN the last I heard.

jmcclain19
09-27-2007, 08:46 PM
I could be completely wrong about Kelly - and he wants to make a new home in Cincy and turn it into a powerhouse.

I think what may be the best hope for Cincy fans is that he's from New England, and maybe outside of Boston College, there are no real D-1A powerhouses anywhere close to where he grew up and he wasn't an assistant previously at any powerhouses so he's really his own man as far as future jobs go. That's unlike guys like Les Miles who are now dealing with the Michigan rumors every day despite being at one of the biggest schools in the country. And remember how much media Stoops got about leaving OU to go coach at Florida where he used to be a DC.

The problem I see, is that there will be several high profile jobs open this coming off season - schools with big money to spend and I think he'll be the top acquisition target. A&M is looking likely to need a new coach. 2-3 SEC schools will likely be shopping for a new coach.

Kelly is making $825k this year. Most of those types pay double that - think he would turn it down to stay?

That's the question we'll all see soon enough.

paintmered
09-28-2007, 12:41 PM
UC Seeks New Digs
Bill Koch

The University of Cincinnati has identified four major capital campaign initiatives with an eye toward upgrading the school's athletic facilities.

The initiatives include a new convocation center for basketball, an indoor practice facility for football, renovation of Nippert Stadium with expansion of the press box and luxury suites, and expansion of outdoor football practice facilities.

But UC athletic director Mike Thomas on Thursday stressed that identifying those initiatives doesn't necessarily mean the school is prepared to build them.

"Those are things that are on the radar," Thomas said. "It doesn't mean they're going to happen next year or 10 years from now. Those are the things that we probably are going to have to address."

Of the four initiatives, Thomas said, the indoor practice facility and the expansion of outdoor practice facilities for football are the most feasible in the short term.

"Those are things that are important to us," Thomas said, "things we'd like to get done sooner than later."

The initiatives are included in a brochure entitled "Raising the Bar" that is being mailed to 10,000 stakeholders in UC athletics, including UCATS members and season-ticket holders.

Thomas told The Enquirer earlier this month that the athletic department lost $5.7 million last year and is budgeted to lose about $2.2 million for the year that began July 1.

He said the department hopes to break even by 2010.

In 2006, UC completed the $105 million Varsity Village that included a new baseball stadium, a track and soccer stadium, tennis courts and the Richard E. Lindner Center that houses all athletic offices, as well as training and locker facilities.

"We still have additional facility needs which must be addressed," the brochure reads. "However, we cannot be consumed by the arms race that many college programs are caught in, nor can we sit idly by and watch others gain ground, putting us at a competitive disadvantage. We need to be measured when prioritizing our capital undertakings and only proceed when a realistic financial model is in place."

Thomas said the brochure is not intended merely to target capital projects.

"The intent is to inform and educate the valued stakeholders of UC athletics as to the key factors that will drive future decision-making," he said.

On July 1, 2006, Thomas introduced his Catapult plan, which included goals of winning a Big East Conference championship in every sport within five years and having UC's student-athletes lead the general student body in graduation rates within a five-year period.

So far, UC has won one championship, last year in men's soccer.

"Phase one of Catapult was putting a leadership team together and establishing a vision," Thomas said. "Phase two is putting an economic model in place that allows us to achieve the Catapult ideal."

According to the brochure, UC ranked 11th among the 16 Big East schools in the number of donors to athletics and was last among the conference's eight football-playing schools. Its athletic budget, at $28.8 million, is the second-lowest among the football schools.

Thomas said that UC can compete for championships in the Big East with its current funding, but that to succeed consistently the school needs to increase private donations.

"To compete at a high level and doing it with less is a difficult task," he said. "It doesn't mean that you can't have success at any given time, but to really sustain it you've got to have a real strong infrastructure."

To that end, UC is hoping to increase its base of support for athletics.

"The people who have been supportive and have been on board will continue to be supportive," Thomas said. "They're still part of the equation for us to get where we want to go. But we have to significantly grow the base."

As for the building of new facilities, Thomas said that remains strictly in the discussion stage.

"Anything we do has to fit into the university's overall picture," he said. "The charge is that we're not going to do any construction on this campus until the money is in hand before we put a hole in the ground."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070928/SPT0101/709280390/1064/SPT

GoReds33
09-28-2007, 11:18 PM
I guess I picked the right time to ask this question. Just a couple days before UC announces they want new, and renovated football facilities.:)

bucksfan2
10-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Funny thing about the UC OSU game at PBS. I was a jr. at OSU and we were watching the game at my house. When the game got close my friend couldn't take it and went out on my porch and started smoking cigarette after cigarette.

As for Nippert it has to be renovated to some extent. Big games will be played at PBS but its tough to bring in big time recruits when your stadium doesn't sell like others do. Nippert is fine for bottom feeders in some conferences but if you want to build a legit stadium I think UC needs to make it better as well as uping the capacity to around 50-60 thousand.