PDA

View Full Version : Keith Hernandez - The Grey is getting to his Brain

westofyou
09-25-2007, 10:07 AM
Looks like the seven dwarves lost grumpy... and he ended up in Flushing.

I highlighted my faves.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2007/09/25/2007-09-25_keith_hernandez_vents_frustration_over_t.html

Figuring out how Mets fans are dealing with the frustration of a team living on the edge is not a priority. What about the Mets broadcasters? They can try hiding their frustrations, but what the heck?

Why not just let it out? For nearly four hours Sunday, that's what Keith Hernandez did during the Mets excruciating 7-6, 11-inning win over Florida. Mex destroyed anything and everything within range of his mustache.

This was a vintage performance. By far the best, by any local baseball analyst, this season. It won't enable Hernandez to pry extra dough out of SNY's tightwads, but it proves there is a great performances in store for anyone waking up on the wrong side of the bed.

At one point, Gary Cohen described Hernandez as "testy." Testy? Please. This guy was in the mood for mayhem. It started early with Hernandez (fourth inning) saying Florida "is sleepwalking, that's all there is to it," before destroying Marlins second baseman Dan Uggla after he committed a throwing error.

"We've seen enough of Uggla," Hernandez said. "That's just all about baseball instincts. He doesn't have any."

Not all Mex's targets were on the field. He told a story (fifth inning) about going to a bookstore and cutting in front of a group of teenagers to pay for a newspaper.

"I said, 'I'm sorry, did I cut in front of you? The kid goes, 'Yeah, you just did.' I almost got in his face. He was a smart you-know-what," Hernandez said. "I just bit my tongue. That all I needed to do, beat up a 14-year-old. I can see the headlines: Hernandez sends 14-year-old to the hospital."

Cohen: "How about Hernandez arrested for assault."

Verbal, perhaps?

The bashing continued in the fifth. A jubilant Chris Seddon appeared on the screen, toweling off in the dugout after being lifted with only 75 pitches under his belt.

"Why is he smiling? He should be saying: 'Leave me in. I'm not tired.' It's just absolutely amazing," Hernandez said. "... Lowering the bar, across the board."

In the seventh, Hernandez took issue with several Mets who didn't rush to the dugout steps to protect Paul Lo Duca from a potential fall as he caught a foul fly. In the eighth, Willie Randolph got toasted.

With the Mets up 6-3 and Marlins on first and second, Todd Linden ripped a single down the third-base line, scoring a run. Hernandez said Wright should have been guarding the line.

"That's not David's fault. That's what Willie Randolph wants to do," Hernandez, in a disgusted tone, said. "I'm sorry, from the seventh inning on you guard the line."

Linden wound up being thrown out the plate, trying to score from second, by Moises Alou, giving Hernandez another opportunity to vent.

"What in the world is third base coach Bo Porter doing here?" an incredulous Hernandez asked. "I've seen more shoddy third base coaching on the major league level the last three years than I have in my entire major league career."

Before the game ended, Hernandez admitted the lack of a nap had made him cranky. He should try sleeping less often.

RedsManRick
09-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Reeejected!

Johnny Footstool
09-25-2007, 10:12 AM
I can see the headlines: Hernandez sends 14-year-old to the hospital.

Actually, I'd bet on "Hernandez beaten, humiliated by local youth"

pahster
09-25-2007, 10:24 AM
What's he doing cutting in line in front of some kids? Had they been too close to his lawn or something?

George Anderson
09-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Maybe he was out late helping Jerry Seinfeld move.

Unassisted
09-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Ego + Attitude = Train Wreck*

*Except in NY, where it equals ratings.

NJReds
09-25-2007, 10:55 AM
I was watching that game. He was all over Cabrera too, for his shoddy third base play. And basically said that he played like he didn't care. He said that Girardi wasn't popular in the clubhouse because he tried to get these players to care, but that they got their way and can sleepwalk through games now.

lollipopcurve
09-25-2007, 11:24 AM
Hernandez pisses on other teams like no one else I've heard. In my opinion, it's really unimpressive.

The Giants guys (Krukow and Kuiper), on the other hand, man are they good.

Johnny Footstool
09-25-2007, 11:38 AM

Well, they called Norris Hopper an "offensive force." Not like, "man, that's offensive", but in earnest.

lollipopcurve
09-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Well, they called Norris Hopper an "offensive force." Not like, "man, that's offensive", but in earnest.

NoHo has been a force lately, come on. The great thing about the Giants guys, for me, is the stuff they do with crowd shots. Very, very funny.

Falls City Beer
09-25-2007, 11:47 AM
Hernandez protests his masculinity WAAAAY too much not to question his motivations for doing so.

Johnny Footstool
09-25-2007, 12:22 PM
NoHo has been a force lately, come on. The great thing about the Giants guys, for me, is the stuff they do with crowd shots. Very, very funny.

Adam Dunn is an offensive force. Norris Hopper has simply been hitting well lately.

Rojo
09-25-2007, 01:50 PM

Grab some pine, meat!

cincinnati chili
09-25-2007, 01:57 PM

I agree. I like them a lot.

lollipopcurve
09-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Adam Dunn is an offensive force. Norris Hopper has simply been hitting well lately.

Yeah, I hate it too when another team's broadcasters compliment a Reds player......

TOBTTReds
09-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Yeah, I hate it too when another team's broadcasters compliment a Reds player......

Don't think he hated it, just said it wasn't exactly correct.

I don't think a single every 3 AB's makes you an offensive force.

Johnny Footstool
09-25-2007, 03:30 PM

Don't get me wrong, Krukow and Kuiper are nice guys. But it was an undeserved compliment. They might as well have said Matt Belisle is one of the best young pitchers in the game.

westofyou
09-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Don't get me wrong, Krukow and Kuiper are nice guys. But it was an undeserved compliment. They might as well have said Matt Belisle is one of the best young pitchers in the game.

To Duane Kuiper Hopper IS an offensive force. he has less career HR's than Krukow.

Blimpie
09-25-2007, 03:42 PM
I can't believe that all of those comments came during one telecast...

Johnny Footstool
09-25-2007, 03:53 PM
To Duane Kuiper Hopper IS an offensive force. he has less career HR's than Krukow.

Ouch. Duane Kuiper probably views Hopper (or anyone who can hit an empty .300) as Barry Bonds reincarnate.

NJReds
09-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Hernandez did compliment Brandon Phillips almost nonstop during the last series. In general, he has very little good to say about Dunn.

lollipopcurve
09-25-2007, 04:09 PM
But it was an undeserved compliment. They might as well have said Matt Belisle is one of the best young pitchers in the game.

I get it. Hopper deserves to have his performance characterized as "empty," not "forceful." This is what they call being a hater, I think.

Rojo
09-25-2007, 06:36 PM
Ouch. Duane Kuiper probably views Hopper (or anyone who can hit an empty .300) as Barry Bonds reincarnate.

Yeah, that's probably it. Complimenting a guy who's nowhere near as good as Barry Bonds, my stars, what an idiot.

camisadelgolf
09-26-2007, 04:42 AM
Hernandez is a jerk. http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45339

jmcclain19
09-26-2007, 05:05 AM
Hernandez is a jerk. http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45339

http://www.stfrancis.edu/en/student/O'Brien/images/keith.jpg

"There is nothing wrong with my statement. Women don't belong in the dugout. They belong in the kitchen, making me a pie, and then not speaking to me while I eat it."

RedsBaron
09-26-2007, 07:04 AM
I cannot find a reference to this, but my recollection is that back in the early 1980s Hernandez either threatened to file, or actually did file, a libel suit against a reporter who had written that Henandez had used cocaine. Later Henandez did admit to cocaine use. I always thought that it was a truly terrible act to sue someone for writing the truth about you.
Hernandez was perhaps the best fielding firstbaseman that I have ever seen, and a good hitter, He is also a first class jerk and one of my least favorite players ever.

Johnny Footstool
09-26-2007, 09:29 AM
Yeah, that's probably it. Complimenting a guy who's nowhere near as good as Barry Bonds, my stars, what an idiot.

Compliments are great, but hyperbole deserves to be pointed out.

Chip R
09-26-2007, 09:30 AM
http://www.stfrancis.edu/en/student/O'Brien/images/keith.jpg

"There is nothing wrong with my statement. Women don't belong in the dugout. They belong in the kitchen, making me a pie, and then not speaking to me while I eat it."

Hernandez sounds like the inspiration for Cartman.

"Hey, you get back in the kitchen and make me some pie!"

http://newmedia.purchase.edu/~jalbert/java/cartman_300.gif

westofyou
09-26-2007, 10:01 AM
I cannot find a reference to this, but my recollection is that back in the early 1980s Hernandez either threatened to file, or actually did file, a libel suit against a reporter who had written that Henandez had used cocaine. Later Henandez did admit to cocaine use. I always thought that it was a truly terrible act to sue someone for writing the truth about you.
Hernandez was perhaps the best fielding firstbaseman that I have ever seen, and a good hitter, He is also a first class jerk and one of my least favorite players ever.

And he was a guy who was traded because he was not getting to the park or the field in time due to his cocaine habit. When quizzed about it by Herzog he lied.

He was dumped for Neil Allen... just Neil Allen.

RichRed
09-26-2007, 01:39 PM
And he was a guy who was traded because he was not getting to the park or the field in time due to his cocaine habit. When quizzed about it by Herzog he lied.

Rumor has it, he arrogantly proclaimed "I'M Keith Hernandez" but Whitey wasn't impressed.