PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Henton makes an early bid to join the Bengals?

ochre
09-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Tuesday, September 25, 2007 9:16 AM

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
http://www.dispatch.com/wwwexportcontent/sites/dispatch/football/stories/2007/09/25/henton_court.jpg Doral Chenoweth III | DISPATCH
Antonio Henton appears in Franklin County Municipal Court this morning. At left is attorney Tasha Ruth.
Web extras

Audio; Jim Tressel's Tuesday news conference (http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/football/tresseltuesday/press0925.html)
Hear Judge Amy Salerno's comments to Antonio Henton in court today. (http://www.dispatch.com/dispatch/content/multimedia/audio_slideshows/2007/09/henton/index.html)
Full text: Judge Salerno's remarks (http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/football/stories/2007/09/25/Judgexs_remarks.html)

Antonio Henton, a third-string quarterback for the Ohio State football team, pleaded not guilty in Franklin County Municipal Court this morning on a misdemeanor charge of soliciting for prostitution.
Judge Amy Salerno set bail at $2,500. He posted 10 percent of the bail at 1:30 p.m. and is expected to be released this afternoon.
Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said Henton, 20, was suspended from the team indefinitely and will not travel to Minnesota for Saturday’s game.
"It's a great disappointment for our Buckeye football family, and we are very concerned for Antonio," Tressel said in a statement. "We want to help him utilize any available resources, including counseling, to deal with any problems and seek solutions. Antonio is keenly aware of the standard we have for ourselves, and that makes this even more disappointing.
"Antonio will not lose any academic privileges as an Ohio State student, but he will certainly be suspended indefinitely in terms of his athletic privileges. Specifically in the short term, he will not be traveling with us to Minnesota this weekend."
Tressel said at his weekly luncheon today that Henton likely will remain suspended until his legal situation is resolved.
"In my opinion right now, nothing changes until I know something," Tressel said. "As always, we defer to the legal process and adjust accordingly."
Tressel said 21-year-old freshman Joe Bauserman would travel with the team and dress as the third-string quarterback at Minnesota.
Court records show that he was arrested at N. High Street and 6th Avenue by an undercover policewoman at 8:27 p.m. yesterday.
He agreed to pay $20 for intercourse, according to the police complaint. A police lieutenant said Henton was arrested as part of an undercover sting by the vice squad.
Henton didn't say anything in court.
Henton, a native of Fort Valley, Ga., was a redshirt last season and has played in all four of Ohio State's games in 2007. As a high school senior he was considered one of the nation's top multi-threat quarterbacks because of his running and passing abilities.

Highlifeman21
09-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Cruisin' for booty at 8:30 on a Monday night?

mole44
09-25-2007, 06:06 PM
20 bucks? Thats a hell of a deal, you can't even get a lap dance at Diamonds for that.

GoReds33
09-25-2007, 06:09 PM
I think we all would have known it was a cop when the 20 dollar price came out.

Unassisted
09-25-2007, 06:11 PM
I'm not sure I've heard of a famous person committing a less significant crime lately. While I understand the community's interest in eliminating prostitution, IMO the bail seems excessive for what he did. Hopefully the punishment will be more reasonable if he is convicted.

Chip R
09-25-2007, 07:00 PM
My question is, why is he paying for it? He's a backup QB for tOSU. He should have honeys at his beck and call - no pun intended.

guttle11
09-25-2007, 08:49 PM
My question is, why is he paying for it? He's a backup QB for tOSU. He should have honeys at his beck and call - no pun intended.

Did you see the way he played on Saturday? Cause I'm sure the ladies did...

redsfan1966
09-25-2007, 09:38 PM
RIP Antonio Henton's Buckeye Career....

LoganBuck
09-25-2007, 11:31 PM
RIP Antonio Henton's Buckeye Career....

I don't think so. There are definitely worse offenses that have been forgiven that are currently on the team, after spending time in the dog house. Specifically Dukes, Albert.

Henton made a tremendous mistake, but lets not forget that he is a young kid, and he has time to make a mends and move forward. I second the question of "Why?", having spent time around players while in college, I can't understand why he would have to pay for it unless he is an odd bird.

Spring~Fields
09-26-2007, 12:15 AM
Sometimes I wish sports would adopt a zero tolerance, (if they are truly guilty).
Sports doesn't need any of these guys, there is long line just waiting to replace any of them from college to the pro's.

ochre
09-26-2007, 02:08 AM
I think we all would have known it was a cop when the 20 dollar price came out.
It gets better. I've read tonight that he only had $19 on him.

camisadelgolf
09-26-2007, 05:07 AM
I disagree with the title of the thread. Several other NFL players have been arrested since the last time a Bengal was arrested. The Bengals cleaned up at the expense of losing to the Browns and Seahawks.

Heath
09-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Heck, it happened to Troy Smith.

About cost them the Alamo Bowl.

I think Mr. Henton is now running the straight and narrow.

Roy Tucker
09-26-2007, 11:38 AM
I don't think so. There are definitely worse offenses that have been forgiven that are currently on the team, after spending time in the dog house. Specifically Dukes, Albert.

Henton made a tremendous mistake, but lets not forget that he is a young kid, and he has time to make a mends and move forward. I second the question of "Why?", having spent time around players while in college, I can't understand why he would have to pay for it unless he is an odd bird.

Yeah, if I had a nickel for every time I screwed up when I was 18, I'd have a lot of nickels. And having a now-19 yr. old son, I've been reminded quite strongly of that fact.

Henton will now pay the price of his transgression and get suspended, apologize to coaches, team, and fans, have to earn his way back on the team, etc etc.

The real litmus test will be if he learns his lesson and gets on the straight and narrow. His examples are Troy Smith and Maurice Clarett. Pick one.

Highlifeman21
09-26-2007, 11:40 AM
But the real question is, was the cop good lookin'?

minus5
09-26-2007, 12:59 PM
But the real question is, was the cop good lookin'?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1099/733201637_0f1e1fd26a_o.jpg

traderumor
09-26-2007, 01:04 PM
In reading the Dispatch article, it doesn't sound like his teammates or coach is ready to throw him under the bus, while taking the offense seriously. Honestly, soliciting a ho is a sign of a serious character flaw, but I'm not sure its any worse than sleeping with a free ho. He will probably not be playing the rest of this year and will be given a short leash with which to either rehang himself (Clarett, et al) or prove this was not his true character, or seek to change his character flaw (Smith). Hopefully he takes advantage of his coach and teammates' support.

Chip R
09-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Everybody makes mistakes. Hopefully he will learn from his. Not to sound like I'm picking on the Buckeyes, but I'll bet there a few players on that roster - and other schools - who have run afoul of the law. There could be worse transgressions.

WMR
09-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Everybody makes mistakes. Hopefully he will learn from his. Not to sound like I'm picking on the Buckeyes, but I'll bet there a few players on that roster - and other schools - who have run afoul of the law. There could be worse transgressions.

He could have been soliciting a man.

Chip R
09-26-2007, 03:25 PM
He could have been soliciting a man.

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of the more violent crimes but, yeah, that would not be good. But, if Dave Stewart and Eddie Murphy could get through it...

WMR
09-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Well, I was thinking more along the lines of the more violent crimes but, yeah, that would not be good. But, if Dave Stewart and Eddie Murphy could get through it...

http://www.mugshots.net/hugh_grant/hugh_grant2.jpg

Chip R
09-26-2007, 04:05 PM
http://www.mugshots.net/hugh_grant/hugh_grant2.jpg

At least Hugh propositioned a female.

WMR
09-26-2007, 04:17 PM
At least Hugh propositioned a female.

Wasn't s/he a shemale??

Or am I thinking of another celebrity??

Chip R
09-26-2007, 04:21 PM
Wasn't s/he a shemale??

Or am I thinking of another celebrity??

I think you're thinking of Eddie Murphy.

WMR
09-26-2007, 04:25 PM
I think you're thinking of Eddie Murphy.

You're right. :)

WMR
09-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Best mugshot ever?
The Runaway Bride :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
http://www.voccoquan.com/images/wilbanks%20mug%20shot.jpg

Unassisted
09-26-2007, 06:02 PM
Good blog post about this with an oh-so-ironic Henton quote from the preseason at cleveland.com (http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2007/09/ohio_state_football_hentons_ow.html). Bolded below by me for emphasis.

Ohio State football: Henton's own words
Posted by dlesmerises@plaind.com September 26, 2007 14:00PM
Categories: OSU Football

I thought I remembered this conversation and I found it today, an Antonio Henton quote from the preseason when another reporter asked the OSU quarterback about Michael Vick's transgressions.

"It just goes along with being smart on and off the field," Henton said. "Not only on the field, you've got to be smart off the field. I feel bad for (Vick). As far as life goes, you've got to be smart with the people you hang around."

That's what I'd say today, that I feel bad for Henton. It's always dangerous to claim you know a player from the limited and often stilted interactions forced on us by the small and static access we're granted to the players. But Henton always seemed a little shy, a Georgia kid farther than home than most Buckeyes - though he was a player who had some upside and a chance to play down the road.

"I've got four years left," Henton said in that same August interview, talking about his feelings on being a backup. "I'm not going to be selfish or whatever. I'm still going to do whatever I need to do to get better."

Compared to the list of things athletes do to get the police involved - stealing things, hitting people, driving drunk - Henton's alleged actions came without a victim, other than himself and his team. And that's no small thing, what you owe yourself and your teammates when given an opportunity like this.

wheels
09-26-2007, 10:21 PM
I don't know, but the woman in both of Henton's booking pictures looks kinda hot.

I'd like to run into her around town.