PDA

View Full Version : Dunn Done For the Season

FlyingPig
09-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Sorry if this has been posted..just announced on pregame show..

Going to scope and clean up his knee.

Cubs are very happy..

Degenerate39
09-25-2007, 07:31 PM
Sad to hear it

AmarilloRed
09-25-2007, 07:31 PM
Not too bad: the season is only 6 more games. I am sorry for Adam Dunn.

GoReds33
09-25-2007, 08:49 PM
I wanted to see more, but his Reds career may be over too.

fadetoblack2880
09-25-2007, 08:59 PM
I wanted to see more, but his Reds career may be over too.
I hope not. If so, mistake on the Reds part.

FreelFanatic
09-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Am I the only one that's thinking, though there's only five games left after tonight, that Jay Bruce now needs a call-up? Hamilton, Griffey and now Dunn out ... leaving Hopper, Coats and Ellison. Is it worth it for six games? Or do they stick with this all-world outfield, with the possibility of a meaningful series with the Cubs? I know Votto and Keppinger have OF experience, but what the heck ...

GoReds33
09-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Am I the only one that's thinking, though there's only five games left after tonight, that Jay Bruce now needs a call-up? Hamilton, Griffey and now Dunn out ... leaving Hopper, Coats and Ellison. Is it worth it for six games? Or do they stick with this all-world outfield, with the possibility of a meaningful series with the Cubs?
It gives Votto more starts. Maybe Cantu will start out there a little. These new infielders need versatility.:)

RedsMightWin
09-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Hope the crowd screaming for a long term contract settles down after this.

Maldez
09-25-2007, 11:22 PM
What odd timing. It couldn't wait another week? Seems like Reds' management wanted to seal Dunn's stats for the year once he reached 40 HRs and was hitting .265 or so. To me this smacks of a trade prep.

rotnoid
09-25-2007, 11:29 PM
What odd timing. It couldn't wait another week? Seems like Reds' management wanted to seal Dunn's stats for the year once he reached 40 HRs and was hitting .265 or so. To me this smacks of a trade prep.

Or maybe he's really hurt. Those nagging knee injuries can really start to hurt after 150 games. Considering he can't be traded until June if they pick up the option, I don't see this as trade posturing, it's giving a guy that's earned some days off if he's hurt, some days off if he's hurt. The Cubs may very well have clinched when they come to town anyway. No sense getting the guy hurt.

RedsMightWin
09-25-2007, 11:32 PM
I wonder if hes going to blame this on Wrigley

Degenerate39
09-26-2007, 12:02 AM

Hope the crowd screaming for his head settles down after this.

AmarilloRed
09-26-2007, 12:13 AM
We will not decide the LTC debate this season; we will only deal with the option. I do hope there are productive discussions about a LTC though. We need to know whether or not he can be signed to a LTC. If he can't , it becomes imperative we make a good trade for him. That would be better than receiving nothing after 2008. I think us rceiving draft picks is at best a long shot.

WMR
09-26-2007, 02:21 AM

HUH?

Yeah, because this season has been such a poor one for Adam Dunn.

Why lock up our best player long-term?

RedsMightWin
09-26-2007, 06:09 AM
Let the option play out and see how it goes is all I am saying. Reds just need to be cautious about it.

dunner13
09-26-2007, 09:46 AM
With only 6 games left why trot out arguably your most productive player for 6 meaningless games. Dunn is the best player this team has had in a long time, we dont need to trade him we need to build a statue of him outside the stadium and name a street after him, cause hes going into the hall of fame with over 600 homeruns.

Jack Burton
09-26-2007, 10:48 AM
HUH?

Yeah, because this season has been such a poor one for Adam Dunn.

Why lock up our best player long-term?
You really think he's the best player on the Reds?

scounts22
09-26-2007, 11:01 AM

He's one of the best and most productive! You don't think he is?

Z-Fly
09-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Or maybe he's really hurt. Those nagging knee injuries can really start to hurt after 150 games. Considering he can't be traded until June if they pick up the option, I don't see this as trade posturing, it's giving a guy that's earned some days off if he's hurt, some days off if he's hurt. The Cubs may very well have clinched when they come to town anyway. No sense getting the guy hurt.

I always get confussed on this one. They can't trade him, or he has a no trade claus?

Screwball
09-26-2007, 12:27 PM

Yeah, cuz he's SO injury prone.:rolleyes:

Including this year, what's that make... 15 games he's missed the last 4 years? Durability is the last thing we need to worry about with Dunn. He needs to be signed to a 4 year deal during his peak years. My guess is that as good as Wayne is at contract negotiations, he'll get this done this offseason, and at a below market rate as well.

AmarilloRed
09-26-2007, 12:52 PM
I always get confussed on this one. They can't trade him, or he has a no trade claus?

He can't be traded in the off-season. He can be offered arbitation in the off-season, but that is unlikely. If the Reds pick up the option, in June Dunn can name 10 teams he would be willing to be traded to, and the Reds can seek a trade with those 10 teams.

I(heart)Freel
09-26-2007, 01:07 PM
He can't be traded in the off-season. He can be offered arbitation in the off-season, but that is unlikely. If the Reds pick up the option, in June Dunn can name 10 teams he would be willing to be traded to, and the Reds can seek a trade with those 10 teams.

Obviously I've not seen the contract, but wouldn't you think there is some language that allows Dunn to agree to a trade after the option is picked up and before that date in June where he names 10 teams?

I just see this as the ball is in his court. Essentially 10/5 rights. So if the Reds talk trade, I would think they could work around this part. Would just need Dunn's sign off.

Which, depending on the situation, he could give.

AmarilloRed
09-26-2007, 01:11 PM
I have not seen the fine print either, but it has been mentioned this is a clause in Dunn's contract. He can not be traded until June, and only to 10 teams. If anyone has any contradictory information, I would be glad to hear it.

RedsMightWin
09-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Yeah, cuz he's SO injury prone.:rolleyes:

Including this year, what's that make... 15 games he's missed the last 4 years? Durability is the last thing we need to worry about with Dunn. He needs to be signed to a 4 year deal during his peak years. My guess is that as good as Wayne is at contract negotiations, he'll get this done this offseason, and at a below market rate as well.

No I am just being cautious. I worded it a little wrong maybe.

WMR
09-26-2007, 01:57 PM

His defense in LF is actually more close to average than most people think when you look at all of the other LF'ers in MLB.

His offense, however, TOTALLY eclipses whatever lapses he might have out in left-field.

To answer your question more directly, though: Yes, I do believe he is the best position player on the Reds. No other Red comes close to replicating his immense on-base abilities or the impact that he has on how an opposing pitcher pitches to those Reds AROUND Dunn (when Dunn is properly utilized in the Reds line-up... unfortunately not as often as should be the case... especially when Naroon was still the manager).

RedsMightWin
09-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Dunn isnt the best player on the Reds imo. Hes good and has a spot on the team but there are other players that have a better balance of skill.

jimbo
09-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Dunn isnt the best player on the Reds imo. Hes good and has a spot on the team but there are other players that have a better balance of skill.

There is only one player you could make that argument with, and that is Phillips.

Screwball
09-26-2007, 03:03 PM
There is only one player you could make that argument with, and that is Phillips.

Actually, IMO, that one player is Josh Hamilton. If only he had been healthy all year...

jimbo
09-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Actually, IMO, that one player is Josh Hamilton. If only he had been healthy all year...

I would probably agree if "potential" is part of the equation, but until he can prove it over the course of a entire season, I can't include him.

WMR
09-26-2007, 03:10 PM

If Phillips ever learns to take a walk... WATCH OUT! :)

RedsMightWin
09-26-2007, 03:16 PM

There is a couple that imo might field a better overall team but Phillips in my opinion is a better overall player than Dunn. The other might be Edwin or maybe the Keppinger we have seen this season. Dunn is good but I dont know how well a team of Dunns would do against a team of other guys.

jimbo
09-26-2007, 03:22 PM
There is a couple that imo might field a better overall team but Phillips in my opinion is a better overall player than Dunn. The other might be Edwin or maybe the Keppinger we have seen this season. Dunn is good but I dont know how well a team of Dunns would do against a team of other guys.

You don't want a team full of one type of player. Just as you said about a player having balance, good teams usually have good balance.

I just can't see how anyone can say that EE or Keppinger are better players than Dunn. Neither of them have put up anything close to Dunn's offensive numbers and Kepp hasn't even played an entire season as a starter and is an average defender. Dunn has been a model of consistancy throughout his career, and even though his defense isn't the best, when compared to his peers he is average.

If anyone told me as a manager I could have the choice of Dunn, Keppinger, or EE.......that would be the easiest decision I would ever have to make.

RedsMightWin
09-26-2007, 03:33 PM
I am just saying as position players I feel a team full of those guys would produce better results than a team full of Dunns. Dunns yearly numbers are a model of consistency but through the season they haven't been the most stable.

Dont get me wrong a line up full of Dunns would be ridiculous but I can only imagine how bad the D would be.

We are talking about position players not just what they can do at the plate.

Yes if i had to chose one player to have on my team between Dunn, Keppinger and EE is an easy one to make and I would chose Dunn pretty much every time. If I was going to build a team around the same player I am not too sure if Dunn would be the best choice.

WMR
09-26-2007, 03:44 PM
Dunns yearly numbers are a model of consistency but through the season they haven't been the most stable.

This doesn't make sense. Numbers can't be consistent season to season if they're not fairly consistent within an individual season as well.

Dunn ALWAYS walks. That's his consistency that never changes and is what makes him INCREDIBLY valuable.

RedsMightWin
09-26-2007, 03:46 PM
This doesn't make sense. Numbers can't be consistent season to season if they're not fairly consistent within the season as well.

Dunn ALWAYS walks. That's his consistency that never changes and is what makes him INCREDIBLY valuable.

Yes it can easily make sense. Dunn is a streaky hitter and there is no denying that. His numbers at the end of the year look the same but during the year he can disappear from time to time and then he can equally go nuts and be amazing for parts as well. He normally averages out by the end of the season but to say its consistent through the season isnt true.

jimbo
09-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Yes it can easily make sense. Dunn is a streaky hitter and there is no denying that. His numbers at the end of the year look the same but during the year he can disappear from time to time and then he can equally go nuts and be amazing for parts as well. He normally averages out by the end of the season but to say its consistent through the season isnt true.

You're describing the type of player who is very hard to find. Actually, name me a player who doesn't go through streaks to some extent or periods of inconsistancy? In the end, the numbers he puts up for the season are what counts.

I have David Wright on my fantasy team. As anyone knows, he is considered by many as one of the top players in all of the majors and is an MVP candidate. In April with 90 ABs, he had 0 home runs and only 6 RBIs. Pretty mediocre. Even the best can be inconsistant at times.

RedsMightWin
09-26-2007, 04:10 PM
You're describing the type of player who is very hard to find. Actually, name me a player who doesn't go through streaks to some extent or periods of inconsistancy? In the end, the numbers he puts up for the season are what counts.

I have David Wright on my fantasy team. As anyone knows, he is considered by many as one of the top players in all of the majors and is an MVP candidate. In April with 90 ABs, he had 0 home runs and only 6 RBIs. Pretty mediocre. Even the best can be inconsistant at times.

Listen I am not going to say you are going to find a guy that is going hit .300 all year and isnt going to streak a little but Dunn in past seasons has been all over the map. He has done a better job this year with limiting the prolonged slumps.

In my world I would take a player with a higher floor over a player with a higher ceiling.

Dont get me wrong a guy with the power of Dunn is good for any line up but you still have to have guys that keep it consistent to get runs the old fashioned way when the big boppers are having trouble.

Jack Burton
09-26-2007, 09:22 PM
No, I wouldn't say Dunn is the best player on the Reds. He puts up good power numbers but that's about it, there are many phases to the game.