PDA

View Full Version : Umpire Mike Winters suspended for remainder of season

WMR
09-26-2007, 03:10 PM
For his conduct resulting in the altercation with Milton Bradley.

WELL DESERVED, in my opinion.

When did these umps decide they were as much "the story" as the players on the field?

RedsMightWin
09-26-2007, 03:13 PM
For his conduct resulting in the altercation with Milton Bradley.

WELL DESERVED, in my opinion.

When did these umps decide they were as much "the story" as the players on the field?

Probably when they get "*****ed" at all year long for making the smallest of mistakes. How would a player feel if every time they threw a ball slightly wrong someone ran up to them and rolled there eyes and told them they were doing there job horribly.

jimbo
09-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Probably when they get "*****ed" at all year long for making the smallest of mistakes. How would a player feel if every time they threw a ball slightly wrong someone ran up to them and rolled there eyes and told them they were doing there job horribly.

These guys are at the highest level of their profession. Players, coaches, and managers have every right to criticize or question calls that were botched. Heck, players get that all of the time from fans and messageboards.

In my opinion, baseball has made the mistake for too long of acting as if umpires are untouchable and can do no wrong which has led to this type of behavior (Winters). I for one am glad they came down on this guy, it's about time.

RedsMightWin
09-26-2007, 04:07 PM
These guys are at the highest level of their profession. Players, coaches, and managers have every right to criticize or question calls that were botched. Heck, players get that all of the time from fans and messageboards.

In my opinion, baseball has made the mistake for too long of acting as if umpires are untouchable and can do no wrong which has led to this type of behavior (Winters). I for one am glad they came down on this guy, it's about time.

Umps get embarrassed for everything publicly. If a player doesn't like a outside strike the player shows them up. Players take the crying too far. Umps shouldn't respond to the crap but players and managers still shouldn't react the way they do to lots of things.

Players on message boards are a completely different thing. Imagine if fans were allowed to run out onto the field and question the players play every time someone disagreed with it.

All I am saying is players attack umps way too often and a response is bound to happen every once in a while.

jimbo
09-26-2007, 04:11 PM
All I am saying is players attack umps way too often and a response is bound to happen every once in a while.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. It's the nature of their job and if they can't handle the criticisms from players and restrain themselves from responding such as Winters did, they shouldn't be umpiring at the highest possible level.

GoReds33
09-26-2007, 04:11 PM

You are defenitly right. It is about time. Maybe next time they can be more like NFL referees and turn and walk away. I know it wasn't his fault Bradley got hurt, but he should never be talking to the players, unless it is joking around or something.:)

RedsMightWin
09-26-2007, 04:21 PM
If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. It's the nature of their job and if they can't handle the criticisms from players and restrain themselves from responding such as Winters did, they shouldn't be umpiring at the highest possible level.

I am not disagreeing with you, I am just saying players are taking the moaning and groaning to an epic level and I can see an ump getting fed up with it.

Jack Burton
09-26-2007, 10:18 PM
We don't know the full story, we do know that Milton Bradley has had many previous cases of losing his temper and acting a fool. He should have approached this matter in a different fashion, now he's out for the year.

GoReds33
09-26-2007, 10:41 PM
The first base coach said that Winters used "derogatory comments." If he did, than that's non excusable.

Slyder
09-26-2007, 11:11 PM

This type of attitude is why youth sports are suffering in a lot of places because they lose umpires, referees, etc in mass drones. People being idiots and just downright ***es. I ref soccer and had it not been for the fact I played soccer and knew what I was getting into kept it from getting to me.

Too many people feel as though its their "priveledge" to make an ass of themselves. Dont like a call Tough turkey nothing you say will affect it. Let me fill everyone in on a little secret.... *****ing about a call will result in NOTHING good for you.

jimbo
09-26-2007, 11:36 PM
This type of attitude is why youth sports are suffering in a lot of places because they lose umpires, referees, etc in mass drones. People being idiots and just downright ***es. I ref soccer and had it not been for the fact I played soccer and knew what I was getting into kept it from getting to me.

Too many people feel as though its their "priveledge" to make an ass of themselves. Dont like a call Tough turkey nothing you say will affect it. Let me fill everyone in on a little secret.... *****ing about a call will result in NOTHING good for you.

Hey, I agree with you. I've umpired at the youth level many a times and have gotten abused, so I know what it's like. I blame the type of issues you are addressing though on the parents. Kids see their parents screaming and yelling at umpires and refs, then they think it's ok for them to act the same way. I'm with you on that.

Having said that though, I don't think it's a fair comparison to this particular umpire's situation. Winters is a paid official working at the highest level of his profession. There is no excuse for what he did. If you are umpiring at the major league level, you should be disciplined enough to deal with getting yelled without baiting a player.

George Foster
09-28-2007, 01:49 AM
The first base coach said that Winters used "derogatory comments." If he did, than that's non excusable.

I would bet my house that MLB contacted Todd Helton the 1st baseman and ask him what was said. Helton is respected, and would not have a dog in the hunt. When he said the same thing that Bradley and the 1st base coach said, the ump was suspended.

Triples
09-28-2007, 04:16 PM

Sorry but I have to disagree. I'm not sure what happened in the Winters/Bradley situation so no comment on that. But generally speaking I do think many players have become prima-donas to some extent. Players today seem to forget that they are seldom successful more than 30% of the time. And, o-fers are not uncommon. But yet they expect the umps to never miss a call or have a bad day. For the most part umps do a pretty good job. And everyone has a bad day (an o-fer). In the old days, players would seldom look at an ump to complain about a call. To do so would be showing the umpire up and would get an immediate trip to the showers. The umpires are the authority on the field, imperfect as they might be, and the players should show them the respect they deserve. The players should also recognize that they themselves are not perfect either. If a point needs to be made that is what the manager is for.

jimbo
09-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Sorry but I have to disagree. I'm not sure what happened in the Winters/Bradley situation so no comment on that. But generally speaking I do think many players have become prima-donas to some extent. Players today seem to forget that they are seldom successful more than 30% of the time. And, o-fers are not uncommon. But yet they expect the umps to never miss a call or have a bad day. For the most part umps do a pretty good job. And everyone has a bad day (an o-fer). In the old days, players would seldom look at an ump to complain about a call. To do so would be showing the umpire up and would get an immediate trip to the showers. The umpires are the authority on the field, imperfect as they might be, and the players should show them the respect they deserve. The players should also recognize that they themselves are not perfect either. If a point needs to be made that is what the manager is for.

No need to be sorry. I actually agree with everything you have said. I'm only saying that if an umpire is working at the major league level, he should be disciplined enough to not allow that type of player behavior to affect him and cause him to react in a manner that Winters did.

I am not condoning the behavior you are describing in any way. At the same time, the umpire should also return that respect to the player. In the situation this thread is discussing, Winters did not.

GoReds33
09-28-2007, 07:31 PM
I would bet my house that MLB contacted Todd Helton the 1st baseman and ask him what was said. Helton is respected, and would not have a dog in the hunt. When he said the same thing that Bradley and the 1st base coach said, the ump was suspended.That's what ESPN said they would probably do. I agree with that. He is very well respected, so I would trust him.:)