PDA

View Full Version : The Barry Bonds ball is going to Cooperstown with an asterisk

WMR
09-26-2007, 02:12 PM
The votes have been tallied and the ball is getting tattoed with an asterisk!

:laugh:
:lol:
:laugh:

RedsMightWin
09-26-2007, 02:15 PM
I am embarrassed by the people that voted to put an asterisk on it.

scounts22
09-26-2007, 02:55 PM
I think it's great. Yeah, he broke the record, but fairly??? Umm....:confused::dunno:

RedsMightWin
09-26-2007, 02:56 PM
I dont know how anyone could think its great honestly.

Goten
09-26-2007, 03:04 PM
pretty sad. The message the asterisk ball is sending? " Hey kids, don't cheat if your going to break records, other-wise, it's cool".

Very sad.

WMR
09-26-2007, 03:12 PM
pretty sad. The message the asterisk ball is sending? " Hey kids, don't cheat if your going to break records, other-wise, it's cool".

Very sad.

It's not sending that message at all.

Unfortunately, no Troy Glaus memorabilia is going to Cooperstown.

RedsMightWin
09-26-2007, 03:19 PM
I think its the same as if they took a pair of ty cobb cleats and sanded the cleats down or if they gaylord perry ball and covered it with vasaline or branded KY JELLY into it.

I just dont like the idea of destroying or marking up history. Let the ball think for its self.

WMR
09-26-2007, 03:38 PM
I think its the same as if they took a pair of ty cobb cleats and sanded the cleats down or if they gaylord perry ball and covered it with vasaline or branded KY JELLY into it.

I just dont like the idea of destroying or marking up history. Let the ball think for its self.

I know the balls are juiced these days, but you're telling me they're THINKING for themselves at this point?

RedsMightWin
09-26-2007, 03:42 PM
I know the balls are juiced these days, but you're telling me they're THINKING for themselves at this point?

I was thinking multiple things when i typed that :o

I mean talk for itself and allow people to think for themselves.

sweetsport06
09-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Personally i would have rather seen the ball launched into space. In reality the ball is just as useless as the record he thinks he broke.

SMcGavin
09-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Barry Bonds is a great player (and was a great player before he took steroids), and if I had a vote I'd vote for him into the Hall of Fame. That being said, the steroid controversy is an enormous part of HR #756, and the asterisk on the ball will remind future generations of that. You know they aren't gonna put anything about steroids on his plaque, so this will be the only reminder. The Bonds steroid controversy is one of the two biggest baseball stories of this decade (along with the Red Sox Series win) and it shouldn't be ignored in the Hall, which is a place for baseball history.

Along these lines I also think Pete Rose should be in there, with something on his plaque acknowledging that he is banned from the game for betting. And someone mentioned Gaylord Perry, yes I think there should be something in the Hall that tells people he was an admitted cheater.

WMR
09-26-2007, 06:20 PM
You all are quite happy to mark up a piece of baseball history because a guy used steroids so I can only guess that you guys would be ok with cutting up another piece because a guy was a known racist.

Did being a racist help Ty Cobb steal a base or hit a fastball?

RedsMightWin
09-26-2007, 06:25 PM

Well what about if someone took his cleats and ground down the spikes?

also should we take all of the pre-integration days and mark it all up with asterisk? I just dont get what the point is in marking up such a big piece of sports history.

I know that I might over value history but I just dont see the point in degrading it.

SMcGavin
09-26-2007, 08:45 PM

Completely agree. The steroids are relevant to baseball performance. Being a racist jerk, not so much.

DTCromer
09-26-2007, 09:14 PM
I think it's ashame they are putting an asterik on it. One of the greatest achievements of all time and they are desecrating it.

Goten
09-27-2007, 01:24 AM
Completely agree. The steroids are relevant to baseball performance. Being a racist jerk, not so much.

well, you could argue that playing your entire career in a segregated league enabled certain players to put up better numbers.

To what degree is another debate.

podgejeff_
09-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Fine, sand down Ty Cobb's cleats. You're right in that respect, we're branding one piece of baseball history with a mark to show that something was used, we might as well do it with Cobb too. That's the only way to be consistent.

WMR
09-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Fine, sand down Ty Cobb's cleats. You're right in that respect, we're branding one piece of baseball history with a mark to show that something was used, we might as well do it with Cobb too. That's the only way to be consistent.

Here's the thing: affixing an asterisk to the record-setting ball relates DIRECTLY to HOW the record was set.

How does messing with Ty Cobb memorabilia relate to his feelings towards blacks? And how do his racist beliefs relate AT ALL to how he played baseball?

Heath
09-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Hey guys, I edited some stuff out to keep this on topic. Keep it to the topic please.

If you don't want to keep it to the topic, drop me a PM and I'll close it, no sweat.

RedsMightWin
09-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Here's the thing: affixing an asterisk to the record-setting ball relates DIRECTLY to HOW the record was set.

How does messing with Ty Cobb memorabilia relate to his feelings towards blacks? And how do his racist beliefs relate AT ALL to how he played baseball?

So what about guys that have had tommy john surgery should we burn asterisk in all that stuff?

WMR
09-27-2007, 04:23 PM
So what about guys that have had tommy john surgery should we burn asterisk in all that stuff?

HuH???

:help:
:all_cohol

RedsMightWin
09-27-2007, 04:26 PM
HuH???

:help:

Lets tear up all of Gaylord Perrys stuff while we are at it.

WMR
09-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Lets tear up all of Gaylord Perrys stuff while we are at it.

Bid on a piece of Gaylord Perry memorabilia, slather it with vasoline, and send it to the Hall of Fame. If it's a desirable enough piece of memorabilia, maybe they'll display it.

RedsMightWin
09-27-2007, 05:00 PM

Bid on a piece of Gaylord Perry memorabilia, slather it with vasoline, and send it to the Hall of Fame. If it's a desirable enough piece of memorabilia, maybe they'll display it.
So you admit you dont care about history? You would much rather just destroy it to make your stupid point than letting it speak for itself.

I can understand you not liking bonds and not liking how it might have happened. I dont like it either. I just dont understand the point of doing this. I think its ignorant.

jimbo
09-27-2007, 06:12 PM
So you admit you dont care about history? You would much rather just destroy it to make your stupid point than letting it speak for itself.

Dude, you've made your point......let it die.

Boston Red
09-27-2007, 06:19 PM
I think it's hilarious...and appropriate. I actually voted for the asterisk. Had no idea it was actually legit.

Heath
09-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Ok, people.

That's it.