PDA

View Full Version : Portable GPS

Red in Chicago
09-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Do any of you have one of these? I'm thinking of buying one as a gift, but don't really know much about them. Are some (Magellan, TomTom, etc) brands better than others? I'd like to get one that actually says the street names and where to turn. Other than that, I'm not sure of any special features to look for. I'd probably be looking to spend under $500 if possible for something nice. Help, I need it buy tomorrow night!!!

SunDeck
09-26-2007, 08:09 PM
My nephew asked for one for Christmas. I bought him this instead and told him he had to prove to me that he could use it first. :D

http://www.themapcentre.com/acatalog/com_field26.jpg

Anyway- I have only used one (not mine) for some geocaching fun. It was remarkably accurate- a better experience than I had expected. Can't remember what kind it was though, or how expensive.

RFS62
09-26-2007, 08:14 PM
I picked up a refurbished Tom Tom for about $200 from Buy.com and it's very good.

Caseyfan21
09-26-2007, 08:20 PM
The Tom Tom is very good. One of my friend owns one and he brought it along in my car for a road trip and it got us everywhere we wanted to go (along with providing us entertainment with the different voices on it).

Cyclone792
09-26-2007, 08:20 PM
I picked up a refurbished Tom Tom for about $200 from Buy.com and it's very good.

[thread hijack]

Wait a second here ... you actually bought something from Buy.com and then actually received it shortly thereafter? In all my experience with Buy.com, that's unheard of.

[/thread hijack]

RFS62
09-26-2007, 08:37 PM
[thread hijack]

Wait a second here ... you actually bought something from Buy.com and then actually received it shortly thereafter? In all my experience with Buy.com, that's unheard of.

[/thread hijack]

Yeah, I've heard stories about them before, but I've bought dozens of things from them and never once had a problem.

Ltlabner
09-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I've heard stories about them before, but I've bought dozens of things from them and never once had a problem.

Me neither. In fact, I've gotten some nice deals and decent service from them.

As far as portable GPS goes, I'd go for regular AA bateries over a recharageable unit. Those batteries are always expensive to replace if they crap out, and never seem to last long before developing a memory.

I have a Garmin C330 which is a real basic one (in car). It does the trick so assuming that translates to their handhelds, I guess I reccommend them.

RFS62
09-26-2007, 08:52 PM
M

As far as portable GPS goes, I'd go for regular AA bateries over a recharageable unit. Those batteries are always expensive to replace if they crap out, and never seem to last long before developing a memory.

Boy, I'd never do that unless it was rechargable AA's. Those things go through batteries fast.

RFS62
09-26-2007, 08:57 PM
I have been using GPS systems since '99. I depend on them every day. It's not portable, but I have this setup in my Explorer with a laptop, running DeLorme Street Atlas with a GPS receiver.

http://www.industrialladder.com/userImages/productImages/ford-2.jpg

Ltlabner
09-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Boy, I'd never do that unless it was rechargable AA's. Those things go through batteries fast.

Yea, I've never had experience with handheld GPS. I know my scanners, digital cameras, and walkie-talkie radios all have regular AA and they last a long time.

I guess if they eat up the batteries then go with the built in unit. Of course, if it costs $75 to replace, that's a lot of AA's.

Ltlabner
09-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Wow, RFS, I've pined for a system like that, especially when I drove a mini-van for years. I used to run a laptop with external antenna on a homemade shelf thingy I built. But I wanted one of those shelf systems for a long time.

RFS62
09-26-2007, 09:03 PM
Wow, RFS, I've pined for a system like that, especially when I drove a mini-van for years. I used to run a laptop with external antenna on a homemade shelf thingy I built. But I wanted one of those shelf systems for a long time.

They're great. They swing in and out on the articulating arm. Very stable and secure for the laptop.

And you can take them out in seconds. The floor mount attaches under the seat bolts, no drilling needed. It has a 2" stub to set the stem on, all the rest comes right out very fast if you want to take it out.

Ltlabner
09-26-2007, 09:09 PM
I guess it's not really a portable system (sorry RIC) but I prefer a laptop based system over a smaller in car system. I like to see a far bigger area of the map than just the small chunk they show you on the smaller units.

Thanks for the heads up on the mounts there RFS. Unfortunatley they don't make any for a Volvo. My inner dweeb says drat.

RFS62
09-26-2007, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the mounts there RFS. Unfortunatley they don't make any for a Volvo. My inner dweeb says drat.

If they don't have a unit for Volvo, you can drill holes for the floor mount and still use the unit in that picture. That's what I did on the first two vehicles I had them in.

The floor mount is about 4 inches by 4 inches. It attaches with four screws or bolts. It has a 3 inch stub which the rest of the unit attaches to.

http://www.jottodesk.com/Comersus/store/catalog/195.jpg

Here's a link to the site. It's called a Jotto Desk.

http://www.jottodesk.com/Comersus/store/comersus_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory= 2&status=

Allegro
09-26-2007, 09:27 PM
I've got a TomTom One. About $225 new. I love it. It was one of those purchases where my wife gave me a hard time until she started using it. She does not give a hard time about it anymore. She loves it. My kids love the Mr. T voice. It's pretty funny when he yells at me, "TURN AROUND WHEN POSSIBLE FOOL!"

Fun times.

Yachtzee
09-26-2007, 10:26 PM
I know a guy with a Tom Tom unit. I was duly impressed when it was able to give us the names and distances of dirt roads in the middle of nowhere on the Ohio/PA border. At one point one of the guys who had gotten directions at a gas station kept second guessing the Tom Tom, but it was right, every time.

Ltlabner
09-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Does Tom Tom draw it's map information from a different source than Garmin? The Streetpilot C330 I have is about as accruate as say Microsoft Streets and Tips. About 85% accurate but a lot of new streets missing, and obscure country roads are often overlooked.

Johnny Footstool
09-26-2007, 10:47 PM
Get a Garmin. Support the Kansas economy.

The nuvi is excellent in your car and you can carry it with you. The StreetPilots are a little cheaper, but some of them have to stay plugged into your car's AC outlet.

CostCo usually has good deals. You can get a nuvi 360 with TTS (text-to-speech, i.e. it says the names of streets) for $399 online.

WalMart has the nuvi 650 for $499 online. It also has TTS, plus an MP3 player and a wider screen than the 360.

If you have any questions, you can PM me.

JaxRed
09-26-2007, 11:02 PM
I can certainly recommend Garmin. I have the 340. It annouces street names. 330 doesn't. Love that thing to death. Used to wonder why people had them. Now wouldn't dream of doing without.

340 has 8 hour battery life

nate
09-27-2007, 08:07 AM
We got a TomTomGo when we moved to Nashville. We've had it about a year now and it works well. The computer software is a bit "primitive" but you don't really need the computer for anything other than updates.

RANDY IN INDY
09-27-2007, 09:52 AM
We have a Garmin c550 and have been very pleased with it.

Unassisted
09-27-2007, 10:28 AM
I've had the original Garmin Street Pilot for over 7 years and been happy with it. The color screens and the relatively massive memory capacity of the newer units will probably entice me to upgrade before long.

bengalsown
09-27-2007, 11:41 PM
Does Tom Tom draw it's map information from a different source than Garmin? The Streetpilot C330 I have is about as accruate as say Microsoft Streets and Tips. About 85% accurate but a lot of new streets missing, and obscure country roads are often overlooked.

Sounds like you need to hook it to your PC and update it...

My sister has a TomTom, and the thing is awesome.

Ltlabner
09-28-2007, 07:41 AM
Sounds like you need to hook it to your PC and update it....

Yep, just did that a few weeks ago.

It still doesn't recognize the addition to a street near my house that has been there for nearly 2 years now.

Johnny Footstool
09-28-2007, 11:15 AM
Yep, just did that a few weeks ago.

It still doesn't recognize the addition to a street near my house that has been there for nearly 2 years now.

Which map update did you get?

Some map products contain more detail than others, and are updated more frequently.

Ltlabner
09-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Which map update did you get?

Some map products contain more detail than others, and are updated more frequently.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think the update was more for the firmware.

Not sure if the Streetpilot C330 even has map updates. I'll have to check that out.