PDA

View Full Version : Finally some love for Harang from a national writer?

Dunner44
09-27-2007, 10:37 AM
NL Cy Young
1. Jake Peavy, Padres
2. Brandon Webb, Diamondbacks
3. Aaron Harang, Cincinnati

This here is a no-brainer. Heading into what probably was his final 2007 start in San Francisco on Wednesday (though the Padres plan to bring him back on short rest Sunday in Milwaukee if a playoff slot is on the line), Peavy likely will win the NL's Triple Crown of pitching -- and not only does he lead the league in wins, ERA and strikeouts, he ranks second in lowest opponents' batting average (.202) and fifth in innings pitched.

Webb, last year's winner, had another outstanding season that included 42 consecutive scoreless innings pitched, and probably an NL West division title for Arizona.

The third choice might be a bit of a surprise, but check it out: Harang is one of the game's most underappreciated workhorses. At midweek, he ranked second in the NL in innings pitched (behind Webb) and second in strikeouts (behind Peavy). His 16 wins are tied for fifth in the league and though his 3.70 ERA might rank just outside of the top 10 (he's 12th), take him out of Cincinnati's hitter-friendly ballpark and place him in a fair yard and he'd climb the charts faster than High School Musical 2.

This guy also had Hamilton for comeback player. See the full article here: http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10374407

Nice to see Aaron finally get some love...

ChatterRed
09-27-2007, 11:50 AM
I think he's one of the few sportswriters to get it and understand the effect GABP can have on pitching. Finally, the correct perspective on Harang's numbers.

mound_patrol
09-27-2007, 11:58 AM
It's good to see that Harang is finally getting attention in the sports writers world. And doesn't Harang have a lower ERA at home then on the road?

Screwball
09-27-2007, 12:16 PM
take him out of Cincinnati's hitter-friendly ballpark and place him in a fair yard and he'd climb the charts faster than High School Musical 2.

I think he's one of the few sportswriters to get it and understand the effect GABP can have on pitching. Finally, the correct perspective on Harang's numbers.

I just don't think I can agree with this. Harang's 2007 splits...

Home: 8-3, 3.33 ERA, 102 K, 29 BB in 110.2 IP
Away: 8-2, 4.06 ERA, 103 K, 23 BB in 113 IP

Harang's actually pitching better at home in home run happy GABP than when on the road in more "fair" ballparks. In fact, his ERA for his career is 0.19 lower than it is on the road. I don't really know how to explain that, but to say his ERA would fall if he were to pitch in a park other than GABP really can't be backed up with any empirical evidence.