PDA

View Full Version : News on Dunn's Knee and He wants to STAY a RED!!

redsfan4445
09-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Per Trent:

"Talked to Dunn for a little bit. He said his knee had been hurting him all season, even back to last season. He thought he could rehab through it, but it continued to hurt through the season. He said the toughest thing was stopping, that's why he ran into the wall a lot this year, because it was the easiest way to stop himself. Also, he said he hopes the Reds pick up his option, he wants to be a Red -- even if people don't want him to be one."

Tom Servo
09-28-2007, 07:33 PM
he wants to be a Red -- even if people don't want him to be one."
http://matrix.cincinnati.com/chat/img/marty.jpg

OnBaseMachine
09-28-2007, 07:39 PM
You gotta love Adam Dunn. He's a great great great hitter, he's an awesome guy and his teammates love him, AND he loves playing in Cincinnati. Please Wayne, do the right thing - Lock Dunn up to a long-term contract. It will be one of the smartest things the Reds organization has done in a long time.

Matt700wlw
09-28-2007, 07:42 PM
They'll pick it up.

They have to...they'd look real stupid if they didn't.

MartyFan
09-28-2007, 08:04 PM
I agree with Matt, this is a no brainer. I don't see a situation where the Reds don't pick up the option on Dunn.

TeamBoone
09-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Per Trent:

"Talked to Dunn for a little bit. He said his knee had been hurting him all season, even back to last season. He thought he could rehab through it, but it continued to hurt through the season. He said the toughest thing was stopping, that's why he ran into the wall a lot this year, because it was the easiest way to stop himself. Also, he said he hopes the Reds pick up his option, he wants to be a Red -- even if people don't want him to be one."

I think Trent should give us Adam's email address (not his personal one, but his Reds one... I'm sure every player has one). We can all let him know how many of us want him to be a Red (and we can pass it on to others we know of that do too).

I hate it that he feels so unloved (for want of a better word) by the fans (and others), though he has every reason to. I can't even imagine why he wants to be a Red, but I'm sure glad he does.

oneupper
09-28-2007, 08:42 PM
When visiting GABP this summer (my first visit), I saw more Freel Jerseys than Dunn Jerseys.

But I didn't hear any boos.

Matt700wlw
09-28-2007, 09:08 PM
I made it to a couple of games this season.....I was able to pry myself away from the duties, and go...

I didn't hear any boos....just lots and lots of cheers....myself included. Of course, I don't boo....I'm not a booer....

BoydsOfSummer
09-28-2007, 09:55 PM
He said the toughest thing was stopping, that's why he ran into the wall a lot this year, because it was the easiest way to stop himself.

Think of the walls, Adam...the walls! Those things aint cheap to build big fella.

jojo
09-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Dunn's second half has forced the Reds hand.

WVRedsFan
09-29-2007, 01:15 AM
When visiting GABP this summer (my first visit), I saw more Freel Jerseys than Dunn Jerseys.

But I didn't hear any boos.

That simply blows me away. I can't believe that people value Ryan Freel over Adam Dunn. Do they not realize that Dunn drove in 106 runs this year while Freel has only driven in 107 in his whole career? Freel has scored 278 runs in his seven years, but Adam Dunn has scoreed 620 or an average of 103 per year in his seven years? He has 238 HR's (average 34 per year, and 41.5 over the last 4 years with 401 RBI's).

Just goes to prove one or two flying catches and a few singles or doubles while going all out mean more to fans than a guy who actually produces. The same could be said for Junior who at 37 out hit lots of guys 10 years younger but all they get is criticism for their salaries. Why the fans scream for Freel and Hopper and their season total of 50 runs scored and 16 RBI's. :confused:

wheels
09-29-2007, 01:21 AM
That simply blows me away. I can't believe that people value Ryan Freel over Adam Dunn. Do they not realize that Dunn drove in 106 runs this year while Freel has only driven in 107 in his whole career? Freel has scored 278 runs in his seven years, but Adam Dunn has scoreed 620 or an average of 103 per year in his seven years? He has 238 HR's (average 34 per year, and 41.5 over the last 4 years with 401 RBI's).

Just goes to prove one or two flying catches and a few singles or doubles while going all out mean more to fans than a guy who actually produces. The same could be said for Junior who at 37 out hit lots of guys 10 years younger but all they get is criticism for their salaries. Why the fans scream for Freel and Hopper and their season total of 50 runs scored and 16 RBI's. :confused:

Scrappy is as scrappy does.

Question is.......Who really is scrappier? Dunn or Freel?

Numbers aside, I'll take the guy who plays every day on a bum knee, and hits game winning homers with a broken thumb every day of the week.

Oh wait....Dunn has the numbers too.

WVRedsFan
09-29-2007, 01:35 AM
Scrappy is as scrappy does.

Question is.......Who really is scrappier? Dunn or Freel?

Numbers aside, I'll take the guy who plays every day on a bum knee, and hits game winning homers with a broken thumb every day of the week.

Oh wait....Dunn has the numbers too.

Awesome post, wheels. Will Cincinnati ever rid itself of the Pete Rose Syndrome? You know the "Charlie Hustle" mindset that says if a guy hustles, he's worth more than someone who produces (not saying Pete didn't produce. He was one in a million).

TOBTTReds
09-29-2007, 01:41 AM
Awesome post, wheels. Will Cincinnati ever rid itself of the Pete Rose Syndrome? You know the "Charlie Hustle" mindset that says if a guy hustles, he's worth more than someone who produces (not saying Pete didn't produce. He was one in a million).

Think about this with Cleveland. Their two main teams (Tribe and Browns) have relatively new faces of the franchise. Brady Quinn and Grady Sizemore. BQ isn't there yet all together, but once he steps foot on that field, he is the face of the Browns if not already.

That is one blue collar town and they have two pretty boys repping for their teams. If Cleveland can get over it, Cincy should soon too. FYI, I'm a die hard Browns fan, so this was no rip.

TOBTTReds
09-29-2007, 01:43 AM
I think Trent should give us Adam's email address (not his personal one, but his Reds one... I'm sure every player has one). We can all let him know how many of us want him to be a Red (and we can pass it on to others we know of that do too).

I hate it that he feels so unloved (for want of a better word) by the fans (and others), though he has every reason to. I can't even imagine why he wants to be a Red, but I'm sure glad he does.

How about a SingDunntoaLTC.com? People always start fire---.com, why not sign him.com? Someone, who is good with that, hop on it. Have an online petition on it, or atleast a guest book.

wheels
09-29-2007, 01:45 AM

Kamikaze Baseball is fun to watch, but most fans and media types don't seem to understand what a truly valuable player really is.

I'd bet most fans just think of Pete Rose as a singles hitter. Thing is the guy had doubles power to beat the band.

Hustle needs to be the icing on the cake.

vaticanplum
09-29-2007, 01:52 AM
Kamikaze Baseball is fun to watch, but most fans and media types don't seem to understand what a truly valuable player really is.

I'd bet most fans just think of Pete Rose as a singles hitter. Thing is the guy had doubles power to beat the band.

I actually think that hustle can be extremely important on a number of levels (not least of all because many human beings -- not just Cincinnatians -- do get riled up by it). The mistake is not overrating hustle; the mistake is holding hustle as an important quality above all else.

Balance on a team is important, so is acknowledgement of the environment in which you play (Rose played in a ballpark made for scrappy, Freel does not, etc.) The thing is that there is just no set of hard and fast rules applicable to any given team. Anybody who thinks otherwise is going to have a terrible baseball team and a pretty difficult life. Sometimes I think that the problem with a lot of these so-called baseball experts is not a lack of intelligence, it's just a lack of capacity for depth. But I think hustle IS important -- it's just not everything. Which is why Dunn and Freel don't inherently need to be pitted against each other as long as they're on a team that is clever and far-sighted enough to build on both of them.

WVRedsFan
09-29-2007, 01:56 AM

You are on a roll tonight.

Pete had it all. Freel and Hopper do not. Case closed.

paintmered
09-29-2007, 01:56 AM
The thing is that there is just no set of hard and fast rules applicable to any given team.

I can come up with a few for this given team in this given ballpark:

1) Find players who can get on base and hit the ball out of the ballpark.

2) Find pitchers who can keep the ball in the ballpark.

Now that's scrappy.

WVRedsFan
09-29-2007, 01:59 AM
I actually think that hustle can be extremely important on a number of levels (not least of all because many human beings -- not just Cincinnatians -- do get riled up by it). The mistake is not overrating hustle; the mistake is holding hustle as an important quality above all else.

Balance on a team is important, so is acknowledgement of the environment in which you play (Rose played in a ballpark made for scrappy, Freel does not, etc.) The thing is that there is just no set of hard and fast rules applicable to any given team. Anybody who thinks otherwise is going to have a terrible baseball team and a pretty difficult life. Sometimes I think that the problem with a lot of these so-called baseball experts is not a lack of intelligence, it's just a lack of capacity for depth. But I think hustle IS important -- it's just not everything. Which is why Dunn and Freel don't inherently need to be pitted against each other as long as they're on a team that is clever and far-sighted enough to build on both of them.

All true, VP. But hustle is subjective. Sometimes it's the diving try that is so foolhardy that it makes no sense. Hustle can also be having the smarts to not dive and get the ball on the bounce to make a good throw. Yes, you need both, but only the hot dog is appreciated.

Coffeybro
09-29-2007, 03:10 AM
(not his personal one, but his Reds one... I'm sure every player has one)

Actually no they don't. Some don't even know how to use a comp that well.

Ron Madden
09-29-2007, 03:30 AM
Actually no they don't. Some don't even know how to use a comp that well.

Like TeamBoone, I'd like Adam to know he is wanted in Cincinnati.

Not everyone agrees with Marty and his friends over on Reds.com.

GAC
09-29-2007, 05:21 AM
Per Trent:

He said the toughest thing was stopping, that's why he ran into the wall a lot this year, because it was the easiest way to stop himself.

Thats his story and he's stickin' with it.

Sounds like my wife when she hits something with the car..."easiest way to stop and I'm saving on the brakes." :D

Adam is 6'6" and 275 lbs. A big frame for a guy, especially in the OF, to be luggin' around out there. It always surprised me that he is as quick as he is.

I just read the ESPN Insider article on Vlad Guerrero. He's ONLY 6'3" and 235 lbs. But at age 31 he's having all types of physical problems with his knees, back, and shoulder. It's been hard for him to accept the fact that he can no longer play the aggressive game he once did and do some of the things he use to like to do. After finishing the article I can understand why he went to the AL where they can DH him on occassion - which he hates, but understands why they are doing it - in order to rest him, keep him off the DL, and prolong his career.

And I think if one looks around at OFers of Dunn's stature, they'd probably see that "commonality" of having knee/back troubles. And as Adam gets older it's not going to get any better on him physically.

KittyDuran
09-29-2007, 08:38 AM

But I didn't hear any boos.:confused:
I hardly ever see a Freel "jersey" (seriously) much, much more Dunn and Junior (both #30 and #3) and both jerseys and t-shirts. Now you would've seen a lot of Freel t-shirts on both adults and kids because there was a promotion...

Friday, April 20April 20 vs. Philadelphia - 7:10 PM

Ryan Freel Dirty Shirt Night for Adults presented by Widmer's
T-shirt giveaway

10,000 adults

And now you see a lot of Phillips' "jerseys" because of a promotion as well.

oneupper
09-29-2007, 09:15 AM
:confused:
I hardly ever see a Freel "jersey" (seriously) much, much more Dunn and Junior (both #30 and #3) and both jerseys and t-shirts. Now you would've seen a lot of Freel t-shirts on both adults and kids because there was a promotion...

Yep...T-Shirts it was mostly, IIRC. Now I understand why.
I just used "jerseys" generically.

Anyway you were there...Redzone gathering (was nice meeting you all). I wasn't really conducting a scientific survey. Just trying to take it all in.

Was surprised to see all the Freel "T-Shirts".

RANDY IN INDY
09-29-2007, 09:17 AM

Now don't go putting everything in its proper context, Kitty.;)

RedsBaron
09-29-2007, 10:15 AM
And I think if one looks around at OFers of Dunn's stature, they'd probably see that "commonality" of having knee/back troubles. And as Adam gets older it's not going to get any better on him physically.

I agree. I want the Reds to resign Dunn, who will only be 28 years old next season, but once Dunn reaches his early thirties, I fear his durability and production will steeply decline. My guess is that the big guy has about 3 to 5 more big years left in him.

TeamBoone
09-29-2007, 12:47 PM

I was thinking the same thing when I first read the post you're referring to. In fact, I think I see more Arroyo jerseys than Freel... wonder when Harang will catch on.

PuffyPig
09-29-2007, 02:52 PM
That simply blows me away. I can't believe that people value Ryan Freel over Adam Dunn.

Don't believe it.

People don't value Freel more than Dunn.

vaticanplum
09-29-2007, 02:54 PM
I was thinking the same thing when I first read the post you're referring to. In fact, I think I see more Arroyo jerseys than Freel... wonder when Harang will catch on.

If he hasn't by now (and I agree that he hasn't), I don't know that he will. Not sure why.

I see a lot of Hamilton jerseys anymore. I probably see Dunn most of all. One good thing about a player who hits a lot of home runs: little kids love home runs. They remember big homers more than just about anything, I think.

Matt700wlw
09-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Don't believe it.

People don't value Freel more than Dunn.

With the emergence of Hopper and Keppinger, Ryan Freel, honestly, has no role on this team anymore...

However, he has a contract that nobody will take...

pedro
09-29-2007, 04:35 PM
With the emergence of Hopper and Keppinger, Ryan Freel, honestly, has no role on this team anymore...

Sure he does. As an overpaid bench player. As it is you still need 5 OF's and I count Dunn, Griffey, Hamilton, Hopper & Freel.

edit: oops, I forgot about Jay Bruce... well, hopefully Griffey gets traded in the off season but I won't hold my breath.

westofyou
09-29-2007, 04:40 PM
anymore...

Right, because no one wants to pay a guy who can play 5 positions and steal 30 bags 3.5 million bucks a year.

RedsManRick
09-29-2007, 04:46 PM
If Free can be that guy who can provide a .370 OBP and productive speed for 300-350 AB while covering us defensively, he's worth that money. It's version of him that gets picked off and thrown out regularly and swings for the fences that is a drag.

Matt700wlw
09-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Right, because no one wants to pay a guy who can play 5 positions and steal 30 bags 3.5 million bucks a year.

At 30+ he'll be hard to move...I'm all for trying, though!

pedro
09-29-2007, 05:23 PM
At 30+ he'll be hard to move...I'm all for trying, though!

with the salary they probably won't get much back but he's certainly not untradable.

westofyou
09-29-2007, 05:23 PM
At 30+ he'll be hard to move...

He'll be 31 in the spring, he had a bad year, you're discounting 1723 prior MLB at bats with a .367 on base percentage and speed. He has value.

missionhockey21
09-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Plenty worse contracts have been moved. Keep your expectations of what you want in return, kick in a bit of cash, and I am sure they'll be several suitors at the Reds door. It's not exactly as if he is ancient, locked up til the end of time or completely absent of talent.

flyer85
09-30-2007, 12:52 AM
They'll pick it up.

They have to...they'd look real stupid if they didn't.... then what are they waiting for?

KronoRed
09-30-2007, 12:53 AM
... then what are they waiting for?

Working out a longer term deal hopefully.

pedro
09-30-2007, 01:01 AM
... then what are they waiting for?

I think they were waiting for the end of the season to make sure he didn't have a career ending injury or something. What's the point in exercising it before they have to?

TOBTTReds
09-30-2007, 02:05 AM
I think they were waiting for the end of the season to make sure he didn't have a career ending injury or something. What's the point in exercising it before they have to?

I said the same thing about extending Jerry Narron last year! Wasn't like he was going elsewhere. Dumb.

westofyou
09-30-2007, 11:50 AM

Because this is America, get on it... why else was there a display for Halloween in the front of my grocery store on Labor Day? Or why are there Christmas decorations rearing their ugly little heads so soon? Hand me the changer, this show is boring...

CLICK

WVPacman
10-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Forget about picking up his option,they need to go ahead and sign him to a long term contract.The same goes for BP also!!! get these two locked up long term.

pedro
10-01-2007, 01:27 AM
I said the same thing about extending Jerry Narron last year! Wasn't like he was going elsewhere. Dumb.

It's a different thing with managers though. They don't get hurt, they only hurt you.