PDA

View Full Version : Major Sports Pet Peeve

MWM
09-30-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm a big Brett Favre guy. Didn't care for him early in his career, but I've developed a great deal of respect for him over the years. Having said that, I really hate this trend in por sports to stop a game right in the middle of it and have some special ceremony once a milestone is hit, or a big record broken.

They stopped the GB - MN game for about 5 minutes and put some pre-recorded message from Dan Marino on the big screen when Favre broke the TD record.

I'm not sure when this started (I think it might have been Cal Ripken's consecutive game streak), but I wish it would stop.

Newport Red
09-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Prime Time Football - You think there's alot of dead time at a baseball game. Experience a Monday Night Football game live. There's more standing around on the field than at a construction sight.

Have they started play? Not yet.

pedro
09-30-2007, 01:57 PM
I with you MWM. I find it appalling.

Yachtzee
09-30-2007, 01:59 PM
One of the reasons why soccer is such a great sport. The clock just keeps running. No time to stop the game for some silly ceremony.

Unassisted
09-30-2007, 06:27 PM
I agree that it happens too often these days. But it probably will continue until a well-regarded honoree or two refuses to let their ceremony stop a game.

Redsfaithful
09-30-2007, 06:40 PM
I actually thought it was pretty funny that Favre just ignored Marino's message, talking to teammates and looking at plays.

jmcclain19
10-03-2007, 12:56 AM
One of the reasons why soccer is such a great sport. The clock just keeps running. No time to stop the game for some silly ceremony.

Amen - Rugby does it as well - the clock just keeps rolling nonstop and they make up time at the end due to injuries or arguing and so on.

I've been watching the Rugby World Cup and it seems those matches (which should run the same amount of time as a regulation football game) clock in at 2-2.5 hrs tops.

I bought season tickets last year to the Cardinals because of the new stadium and didn't re-up again because I forgot how boring and incredibly long games are in person. Doing that every other weekend is just a killer.

RedsBaron
10-03-2007, 02:42 AM
I actually thought it was pretty funny that Favre just ignored Marino's message, talking to teammates and looking at plays.

I agree. Favre knew he still had virtually an entire game to play and he began to get ready for the Packers next possession.
I'll confess that I kind of liked Ripken's going around the field after he set the consecutive games streak, and at the time I even enjoyed the ceremonies when McGwire hit no. 62 in 1998 with the Maris family in attendance (subsequent events have changed my perspective of the latter event), but I agree with MWM-these stop the game ceremonies are getting old.
Actually, there is an earlier "stop-the-game" ceremony that I enjoyed at the time, although watching it now is sad: The September 1985 ceremony when Pete Rose hit 4192.

cumberlandreds
10-03-2007, 07:28 AM
I agree. Favre knew he still had virtually an entire game to play and he began to get ready for the Packers next possession.
I'll confess that I kind of liked Ripken's going around the field after he set the consecutive games streak, and at the time I even enjoyed the ceremonies when McGwire hit no. 62 in 1998 with the Maris family in attendance (subsequent events have changed my perspective of the latter event), but I agree with MWM-these stop the game ceremonies are getting old.
Actually, there is an earlier "stop-the-game" ceremony that I enjoyed at the time, although watching it now is sad: The September 1985 ceremony when Pete Rose hit 4192.

A more earlier one than that one was when Henry Aaron broke the Babe's record in 1974. That was a big one of course. I agree there is too much stoppage in play for lesser records.

registerthis
10-03-2007, 11:04 AM
One of the reasons why soccer is such a great sport.

Meh. Use your hands once in awhile, will ya?

:)

Rojo
10-04-2007, 01:05 PM
A standing ovation, some tears and then play ball. Dumb ceremonies add nothing -- less is more. People just can't seem to get that.

Degenerate39
10-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Terms like "Boot scootin and Holy Moses" also "That one will stay in the park" when it's a pop up to Short.

Rojo
10-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Meh. Use your hands once in awhile, will ya?

:)

They really should review that rule, might speed up the game.

RFS62
10-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Boomer has jumped the shark big time. I can't stomach him in any format.

"Back, back, back, back"

bleech

paintmered
10-05-2007, 07:06 AM
I've noticed this one way too many times and it drives me up a wall every time I hear it.

"The score is 34-10. That's a 24 point differential."

No, that's not a differential. Differential is a calculus term. You aren't doing calculus so stop trying to sound like you are when you really are doing subtraction. There's a term for the result of a subtraction operation, and it's called the difference. Get it right.

jmcclain19
10-07-2007, 03:15 AM
I've noticed this one way too many times and it drives me up a wall every time I hear it.

"The score is 34-10. That's a 24 point differential."

No, that's not a differential. Differential is a calculus term. You aren't doing calculus so stop trying to sound like you are when you really are doing subtraction. There's a term for the result of a subtraction operation, and it's called the difference. Get it right.

Math nerd - go back to your DiffEQs and slide rules and leave us sports fans alone

jmcclain19
10-07-2007, 03:22 AM
Here's a huge pet peeve of mine - why is it necessary for sports "analysts" to try and blow things to a level way beyond the sane thought - as if it some how adds to the strength of their argument.

On ESPN's College Football Live this week, one analyst was talking about the state of the Syracuse program and how they are on the right track now, because this season they completed "one of the greatest upsets in the history of college football by upsetting Louisville".

Uh no. Not even close. Not even in the same stratosphere. A BCS team beating another BCS team shouldn't even rank in the top 500 of all time upsets - let alone of one of the greatest of all time.

Yachtzee
10-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Here's a huge pet peeve of mine - why is it necessary for sports "analysts" to try and blow things to a level way beyond the sane thought - as if it some how adds to the strength of their argument.

On ESPN's College Football Live this week, one analyst was talking about the state of the Syracuse program and how they are on the right track now, because this season they completed "one of the greatest upsets in the history of college football by upsetting Louisville".

Uh no. Not even close. Not even in the same stratosphere. A BCS team beating another BCS team shouldn't even rank in the top 500 of all time upsets - let alone of one of the greatest of all time.

And he says this in the same year that Appalachian State beat Michigan at Michigan.