PDA

View Full Version : My Annual Ritual

MWM
09-30-2007, 02:37 PM
Every year on this day, I take a look at the standings and realize another year has gone by where 96 wins would have easily gotten anyone into the playoffs. Assuming the Red Sox don't come back and win today, 96 wins would be tied for the best record in baseball. Makes 1999 hurt that much more.

paintmered
09-30-2007, 10:02 PM
It's hard to believe it's already been eight years since the "magical" run of '99. It's been 17 years since the World Series team of 1990 and 31 years since the last Big Red Machine World Championship. Many of us weren't around for the BRM, and some more of us weren't here in 1990.

What happened to this franchise? They came close in 1999, but even that memory is now faint and no longer influences the fanbase. 2000 was supposed to be the year when Griffey put them over the top; that didn't happen. 2001 turned into a horrendous year when the whole team got injured. Then came "the plan" of 2003 which ended up being a plan for futility and things haven't gotten much better since.

Barry Larkin and the 1990 team made me a fan for life. What is making the latest generation a fan for life? I don't know the answer. I'm not sure there is an answer. Jimmy Haynes, Carlos Manzanillo and an injured Griffey sure haven't done it.

The Reds have a .462 winning percentage this decade. There have been as many sub-70 win seasons as 80-win seasons since 2000. That's not acceptable.

cincrazy
09-30-2007, 10:04 PM
90 wins got the D-backs the best record in the NL this season. Unbelievable.

Falls City Beer
09-30-2007, 10:05 PM
It's hard to believe it's already been eight years since the "magical" run of '99. It's been 17 years since the World Series team of 1990 and 31 years since the last Big Red Machine World Championship. Many of us weren't around for the BRM, and some more of us weren't here in 1990.

What happened to this franchise? They came close in 1999, but even that memory is now faint and no longer influences the fanbase. 2000 was supposed to be the year when Griffey put them over the top; that didn't happen. 2001 turned into a horrendous year when the whole team got injured. Then came "the plan" of 2003 which ended up being a plan for futility and things haven't gotten much better since.

Barry Larkin and the 1990 team made me a fan for life. What is making the latest generation a fan for life? I don't know the answer. I'm not sure there is an answer. Jimmy Haynes?

The Reds have a .462 winning percentage this decade. There have been as many sub-70 win seasons as 80 win seasons since 2000. That's not acceptable.

Yep.

Chip R
09-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Jimmy Haynes, Carlos Manzanillo and an injured Griffey sure haven't done it.

Well, if that didn't do it, I don't know what will. ;)

RedFanAlways1966
09-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Jimmy Haynes, Carlos Manzanillo and an injured Griffey sure haven't done it.

We have all tried to forget Josias, but please tell me that the REDS have not picked up his cup-smacking cousin, Carlos!! ;)

paintmered
09-30-2007, 10:29 PM
We have all tried to forget Josias, but please tell me that the REDS have not picked up his cup-smacking cousin, Carlos!! ;)

This is the last time I try to go all de la Hozian on you guys. :D