PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts

BCubb2003
10-01-2007, 01:24 AM
Is it better to contend and collapse, or never to contend at all?

Manager of the Year qualities are like clutch: Random and non-repeatable.

The good news is the Reds have found their fifth starter. The bad news is it's Homer Bailey.

If you owned the Reds, would you be an annoying hands-on owner or would you keep your promise to let the baseball people run things?

What Reds player have you changed your mind about?

What's the point of owning your own team if you can't be an annoying hands-on owner?

What are the possibilities that you were a better ballplayer than the worst player ever?

So what's your excuse?

How bad does baseball have to be before it's worse than no baseball?

WVRedsFan
10-01-2007, 01:40 AM

Never to contend. Went through that in 1964 and 1999. No way to describe the disappointment. i didn't get over it for years.

Yes. and John Fay thinks Pete Macklanin is the Reds MOY. He had really tough competition with Jerry Narron.

The good news is the Reds have found their fifth starter. The bad news is it's Homer Bailey.

Look at it this way. He ain't Joe Mays.

If you owned the Reds, would you be an annoying hands-on owner or would you keep your promise to let the baseball people run things?

If I owned the Reds, I'd be so hands-on that they'd hate to see me coming. Only when your team is successful do you let them do their thing.

Keppinger. He showed me he has a place on the Reds. Maybe it's the bench, but he belongs there.

What's the point of owning your own team if you can't be an annoying hands-on owner?

There is no point. Especially if the team is not doing well. You hire the GM and it's your job to make sure he does well.

What are the possibilities that you were a better ballplayer than the worst player ever?

None. I suck. I always did. that's why I played 1st base and hit .240.

So what's your excuse?

No talent. What's yours?

It doesn't get that bad. I'll now count the days until Spring Training. and I know we'll win the World Series.

The_jbh
10-01-2007, 01:49 AM

Being a Bengals fan for the last 10 years tells me its better to contend. Even though it can be heartbreaking, the joy of good memories remain. The chance of collapse is what makes it so special when its for real

Agreed. That award needs a story. Say Joe Girardi led the resurgence, then coached again for FL this year, and they made the playoffs, it wouldn't be as good of a story because you know what to expect... he led them b4... you need the rag to riches type dealio

Could be good news if we have 2 real starters before him. Even one and a Beslile or someone would be ok.

I think if you are on this board in the first place, you know the reality is we all would be Mark Cuban

Edwin Encarnacion... I was an avid last year... threw things when Narron sat him... now im indifferent. I thought he was the future, no i think hes Willie Greene, a good player with promise who wont be great. Hopefully he wins my heart again

Kind of my point... haha

better than the worst player ever? I mean is this a trick question. If someone is the worst player ever then arent we all better than that individual

So what's your excuse?

I point to the threw ortho scars on my right shoulder... that put a damper on things... plus my parents didn't force me to be a lefty and I'm under 6 foot

Doesn't exist... For the Love of the Game...

coachw513
10-01-2007, 09:04 AM

To contend and collapse...let me kiss the beautiful girl for at least a moment to be able to know what it feels like...I'd take '99 again in a heart-beat, anguish and all...

Reds-Nation has certainly soured on this golden boy...I still think arms and ability like that have a much higher future and ceiling...if he had been left in Louisville like Votto and moved up in September and had the results he did this month, would we have quite so much angst on our hands??

I'd be hands-on in terms of wanting the right folks running things, but then it's their job to get it done...

Without a doubt, Adam Dunn...mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa...I do not want Hamilton, Phillips or EE traded, but they need to be moved (under pristine situations for outstanding, top-flight pitching only) before we EVER consider moving Dunn...our number 1 priority should be a LTC for Dunn (much like we snuggled up to Harang and Arroyo last year)

:D...absolutely none

dfs
10-01-2007, 11:36 AM

Gotta go with David Ross here. One halfway decent month isn't getting it done. Sooner or later you have to run out of chances. I'm not crying for them to keep Chad Krueter types around or anything, but I have to think that the front office will address the catching sometime after they address the pitching

RedsManRick
10-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Gotta go with David Ross here. One halfway decent month isn't getting it done. Sooner or later you have to run out of chances. I'm not crying for them to keep Chad Krueter types around or anything, but I have to think that the front office will address the catching sometime after they address the pitching

Ross had a ridiculous .230 BABIP despite a very reasonable 18.5 LD%. No more player with more than 200 PA (Ross had 348) was worse. The lower BABIP among qualified hitters was Ray Durham at .244.

If we bump up that .230 BABIP to a more reasonable .280, he's suddenly hitting .235/.305/.450 or so. Still not great, but a .750 OPS from a plus defending catcher is an asset.