PDA

View Full Version : Blown call in Rockies/Padre game....

adampad
10-02-2007, 01:32 AM
I can understand if he blows the call.......but why wait until the catcher recovers and starts to tag him before he makes the safe sign?????? This will be a nightmare for umpires. This may give instant replay a foot in the door in MLB. Pathetic umpiring right there. Call him safe when he touches the plate in your mind when it happens not after you thought about it. Very odd.

Boston Red
10-02-2007, 01:33 AM
They blew the HR call in the 7th, so it all evened out. But that's some bad umpiring.

kaldaniels
10-02-2007, 01:41 AM
You read my mind. I was going to start a thread entitled "Is Instant Replay in the Cards???".

Granted...I love the fact that umps call balls and strikes...as wrong as some may think it is I love that pitchers have to "earn" the outside corner.

But...on safe/out plays there should be no debate. Pads were robbed tonight...despite I was rooting for the Rocks.

Reds Freak
10-02-2007, 01:43 AM
Maybe they should just roll some robots or computers out there in place of umpires as some suggest...

AccordinglyReds
10-02-2007, 01:49 AM
Crazy call at the end.

Go Rockies!

jimbo
10-02-2007, 02:07 AM
The Padres definitely got robbed, just the wrong call and it's pretty obvious by looking at the replay. For as much slack that Barrett has gotten this season, he did a heck of a job blocking that plate.

I was rooting for the Rockies though so I'm happy. Probably the most enjoyable game I've watched all year.

PMand JM
10-02-2007, 07:19 AM
The catcher was blocking the plate without the ball initially, which is a rule violation. I've seen that called occassionally which usually allows the run to score.

mound_patrol
10-02-2007, 09:19 AM
For those that want instant replay you are discussing the wrong play. With instant replay that double in the 7th is a homerun and everything that happened after that point last night is moot because the game would have played out totally different.

goreds2
10-02-2007, 09:24 AM
They blew the HR call in the 7th, so it all evened out. But that's some bad umpiring.

Yes, the game should not even have went extra innings. The Padres have no beef concerning the homeplate call.

AmarilloRed
10-02-2007, 11:46 AM
I do think it is a good discussion to have on why there in no instant replay in MLB. There are a number of call on close plays at the bases and ball that are hit down the line where an instant replay system would be very useful. This might be a good reason why we need a real commissioner to get things like this done. I like Bud Selig, but he has always been the representative of the owners.

Triples
10-02-2007, 11:50 AM
I can understand if he blows the call.......but why wait until the catcher recovers and starts to tag him before he makes the safe sign?????? This will be a nightmare for umpires. This may give instant replay a foot in the door in MLB. Pathetic umpiring right there. Call him safe when he touches the plate in your mind when it happens not after you thought about it. Very odd.

Don't you think the ump was trying to determine if Barrett had control of the ball....which I believe he did not.

demas863
10-02-2007, 12:29 PM
I like Bud Selig, but he has always been the representative of the owners.

So why do you like him when he's supposed to represent even-handedly the owners, players and fans while maintaining the tradition and integrity of the game. Is it his personal financial dealings that you admire?.......or do you think he handled the steroid epidemic well when he first became aware of it rather than later?

"I'm shocked. There's substance abuse in this establishment."

mound_patrol
10-02-2007, 12:30 PM

On a play like that i'd rather the umpire take an extra second to replay the play in his mind to make sure he gets it right. I don't know if thats why he delayed the call, but thats my guess.

AmarilloRed
10-02-2007, 12:57 PM
So why do you like him when he's supposed to represent even-handedly the owners, players and fans while maintaining the tradition and integrity of the game. Is it his personal financial dealings that you admire?.......or do you think he handled the steroid epidemic well when he first became aware of it rather than later?

"I'm shocked. There's substance abuse in this establishment."

I think he has always favored the owners, but that he has always tried to do the best for the game of baseball. It would have been preferable if he had been an independent commissioner, but I don't think that will happen any time soon.

Old NDN
10-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Both teams were getting pretty agitated by the slow, delayed strike calls. Umps that do this are only showing their "individuality" and drawing attention to themselves. It sure created a lot of uncertainty(if that's a word) the whole game. Absolutely uncalled for, IMO.

jnwohio
10-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Both teams were getting pretty agitated by the slow, delayed strike calls. Umps that do this are only showing their "individuality" and drawing attention to themselves. It sure created a lot of uncertainty(if that's a word) the whole game. Absolutely uncalled for, IMO.

McClellan is notorious for taking his time; so I guess we shouldn't be surprised that he made everybody wait to know whether the game was over.

As was said previously, Barrett never really controlled the ball. I would guess that may have been the deciding factor for McClellan. If Barrett holds on he probably gets the out call. If he controlled it but dropped then makes the a quick retag he might have gotten the call. But I think given the circumstance of it being nearly impossible to see for sure if Holiday got his hand in, once Barrett totally let the ball thru that was it.

For what if is worth Bud Black was quoted as saying he thought it looked like Holiday got his hand in before Barrett kicked it clear.

Ironically Holiday may have unwittingly helped sell the call by not trying to roll over and touch the plate because McClellan had no way of knowing Holiday had knocked himself too silly to move. Also Barrett looked to McClellan for a sign before he went over to pick the ball up. McClellan may have taken that as an indicator Barrett thought Holiday in got under him.