PDA

View Full Version : What could we get for Griffey?

Will M
10-02-2007, 01:55 PM
As I look ahead to 2008 I see the Reds needing three things:

A #3 starter ( with Belisle & Bailey as 4/5 ).
Another dependable arm in the pen.
A better catcher than Ross. ( less important than the other two ).

I think ( and I know others disagree ) that Griffey is the outfielder who has to go. The Reds don't have too many other trading chips.
( Freel if healthy in spring training, Majik, Coffey, Hatteberg - although I want the Reds to keep him as a bench player ).

I know Griffey will only approve a trade to certain teams - likely Braves, Mariners, the two Chicago teams & yearly contenders like the Red Sox / Yankees / Angels.

I doubt that we could get a #3 starter for Griffey.
Could we get a young pitcher with some potential?
A stud setup man?
One of the Mariner's catchers?

What do people think Griffey's trade value is?

Thanks.

markymark69
10-02-2007, 02:05 PM
I am a big fan of Griffey, but I stand in agreement with you. If the Reds can deal him he is the one that has to go.

To answer the question of what we could get for him? I would say set-up man and most likely a major league ready prospect or two and, of course, pick up some of his salary.

mound_patrol
10-02-2007, 03:35 PM
I would like to try and trade Junior to the Mets for Aaron Hielman.

Will M
10-02-2007, 03:41 PM
I would like to try and trade Junior to the Mets for Aaron Hielman.

That was exactly my thought!

stevekun
10-02-2007, 04:55 PM
I think we will try to ship him to Seattle...its where he really wants to end his career

jnwohio
10-02-2007, 06:13 PM
I think we will try to ship him to Seattle...its where he really wants to end his career

If he is moved in the off season, i.e. pre #600, I think Seattle is the only destination the Reds can send him to without creating a big fan backlash. What they get back in such a situation needs to make it look like more than a salary dump but otherwise is not as important as clearing the salary because the Reds have other parts they can move for pitching. However, they are going to need Jr's money to pay for that pitching.

stevekun
10-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Yeah but the real question is what in Seattle could we get for him?

gedred69
10-02-2007, 09:53 PM
A better catcher than Ross. ( less important than the other two ).

I think ( and I know others disagree ) that Griffey is the outfielder who has to go. The Reds don't have too many other trading chips.

I doubt that we could get a #3 starter for Griffey.
Could we get a young pitcher with some potential?
A stud setup man?
One of the Mariner's catchers?

What do people think Griffey's trade value is?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

As good as Ross is behind the plate, a good catcher that can offer something besides HRs is a big plus. I agree sadly, Griffey is the one to go. Teams are not going to give up real pitchers for him. Getting anything pitching-wise is gonna' be tough. There isn't enough to go around.

SMcGavin
10-02-2007, 11:12 PM
Mariners catcher Jeff Clement comes up alot in trade talks. I think the Mariners also have a pretty good bullpen, so that would be another trade target. If Griffey is dealt I would have to imagine it will be to the AL to be a DH. If I'm WK, I would start talking to Seattle about Clement or an arm. To answer your question, I really don't know what we could get for Griffey due to the deferred money situation, but KGJ is the guy it makes most sense for the Reds to trade. I think you are correct in your assessment that a #3 starter (an Arroyo type) is probably too high of a return for Griffey.

dthomas24
10-02-2007, 11:21 PM
With his salary for next year I don't see WK being able to get too much without having to foot the bill for some of it. Middle relief is about all I'd expect to get, no way do we get a decent starter.

AmarilloRed
10-02-2007, 11:47 PM
I don't think he will be moved in the off-season. The Reds will wait for him to hit #600 in Cincinnati, and then move him at the trade deadline.

OSUredsFAN
10-03-2007, 12:16 AM
Do not trade Griffey!!!

AmarilloRed
10-03-2007, 12:28 AM
Do not trade Griffey!!!

It makes sense to trade him. 2008 is the last year of his contract, and it is extremely likely Bruce will be starting in RF in 2009, and the Reds will decline Griffey's option.

BEETTLEBUG
10-03-2007, 01:23 AM
I agree he does put Fans in the SEATS.

mound_patrol
10-03-2007, 09:21 AM

Yeah maybe, but winning would put a lot more butts in the seats.

durl
10-03-2007, 10:33 AM
We had a little taste of what the Reds are like without Dunn and Griffey the last 2 weeks of the season. Didn't we get shut out 2 games in a row? For quite some time I thought a Dunn trade for a very good pitcher would be a smart (but not popular) move. Now I'm wavering.

I haven't decided which players the Reds should trade in the offseason. Freel is the only obvious one to deal at this point. I could see picking up Hatteburg's option then trading him.

Will M
10-03-2007, 01:38 PM
We had a little taste of what the Reds are like without Dunn and Griffey the last 2 weeks of the season. Didn't we get shut out 2 games in a row? For quite some time I thought a Dunn trade for a very good pitcher would be a smart (but not popular) move. Now I'm wavering.

I haven't decided which players the Reds should trade in the offseason. Freel is the only obvious one to deal at this point. I could see picking up Hatteburg's option then trading him.

Remember - Hamilton was out and Bruce wasn't here when we played the last 10 games or so.
Dunn-Hamilton-Bruce-Votto-Phillips-EE is plenty of offense.
The Reds lost in 2007 due to weak pitching.

Will M
10-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Yeah maybe, but winning would put a lot more butts in the seats.

:thumbup:

Newport Red
10-03-2007, 01:44 PM

Like another poster mentioned, winning will put more fans in the stands, especially in september.

Also, the present outfield is holding up Jay Bruce. They'll need to trade someone.

ChatterRed
10-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Griffey didn't put my butt in the seats this past season.

I'd be amazed if the WK could actually find a taker for Griffey. If he could find a taker, plus some good return, I'd be all for it and then calling up Jay Bruce.

Will M
10-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Griffey didn't put my butt in the seats this past season.

I'd be amazed if the WK could actually find a taker for Griffey. If he could find a taker, plus some good return, I'd be all for it and then calling up Jay Bruce.

There would be several teams that would 'take Griffey off our hands'. He is coming off two solid relatively injury free seasons and has only one more year on his contract.

SMcGavin
10-03-2007, 04:33 PM
There would be several teams that would 'take Griffey off our hands'. He is coming off two solid relatively injury free seasons and has only one more year on his contract.

It's not his contract that is the issue, it's the deferred money. After his contract "ends" next year the Reds still owe him a lot of money.

stevekun
10-03-2007, 04:35 PM
I think trading Griffey would be our best option but I don't think its going to happen...I think upper management want that 600 HR chase here to put people in the seats

Will M
10-03-2007, 04:40 PM
It's not his contract that is the issue, it's the deferred money. After his contract "ends" next year the Reds still owe him a lot of money.

This was a known fact when Bob Castellini bought the team and factored into the price he paid for the Reds.
Yes, the Reds would have to pony up that cash in a trade but this is a 'sunk cost' already.