PDA

View Full Version : Any city need a AAA frachise?

JaxRed
10-03-2007, 12:37 PM
One's available (soon). The West Tenn Diamond Jax (AA) were just sold to owners of Nashville Sounds (AAA).

Nashville can't get a new stadium built, and the old one doesn't meet AAA standards (but does meet AA).

So the AA franchise probably moves to Nashville in 2009, and now there is a Free Agent AAA club looking for a city.

Place your bids, but keep in mind if you have a team, you have to do something with old one.

For example, if Chattanooga or Jacksonville decide they are ready for "AAA", then they would have to buy AAA franchise from current owners (don't know if they want to sell) and then sell their existing franchise to someone else.

IslandRed
10-03-2007, 02:42 PM
It's not quite as tidy as all that; the group buying the Diamond Jaxx doesn't include the majority owner of the Sounds.

Not sure what's going to happen with the AAA franchise. A new city administration just came into office, the team might give it one more go at getting a new ballpark before they start looking around.

redsmetz
10-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Jacksonville would be the best candidate, but Nashville is in the PCL and Jacksonville would be way "out of route". I guess it's possible that Jacksonville could make the move up and one of the International League teams move to the PCL - furthest west candidates would be Louisville, Indianapolis or Toledo. San Antonio might make some sense, but that's too close to Round Rock, I think.

JaxRed
10-03-2007, 02:51 PM
It's not quite as tidy as all that; the group buying the Diamond Jaxx doesn't include the majority owner of the Sounds.

Not sure what's going to happen with the AAA franchise. A new city administration just came into office, the team might give it one more go at getting a new ballpark before they start looking around.

Thanks for local insight, was quoting what folks from Ballpark Digest were saying.

JaxRed
10-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Glancing at leagues, it sure looks like Nashville and Memphis should be International and not Pacific anyway.

I think AAA flies.