PDA

View Full Version : Glavine likely to decline option with Mets

Degenerate39
10-04-2007, 06:50 AM
Tom Glavine likely to decline option with Mets, take time for decision

October 3, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- Tom Glavine is likely to decline his $13 million option with the New York Mets by Friday's deadline, giving the pitcher time to think about his future.

Glavine's contract said he must make a decision on the option by the fifth day after the Mets concluded their season.

"Tom and I have been having discussions since Sunday. As he has indicated on prior occasions, he's going to take time with his wife and his family and consider all of his options and then make his decision," Glavine's agent, Gregg Clifton, said Wednesday. "It is doubtful he'll be able to conclude that process prior to Friday."

Glavine went 13-8 with a 4.45 ERA in 34 starts spanning 200 1-3 innings this year, fading in his final three outings. He managed only one out while giving up seven runs to Florida in the first inning an 8-1 loss in the season finale Sunday that knocked New York out of postseason contention.

In other news, All-Star center fielder Carlos Beltran had arthroscopic surgery on both knees Wednesday, and an MRI exam on pitcher John Maine's left hip revealed he doesn't have a sports hernia.

Left-hander Jason Vargas also had a bone spur removed from his pitching elbow. Mets medical director Dr. David Altchek performed the operations on Beltran and Vargas at the Hospital for Special Surgery.

podgejeff_
10-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Anyway we could ever afford Glavine for a season or two?

mound_patrol
10-04-2007, 11:05 AM

Is there any way he wants to come to Cincy? I doubt it. I think he likes the situation in New York. Will get paid well to continue playing there, and is on a playoff contender.

stevekun
10-04-2007, 01:13 PM
Glavine made it public not long ago that he wants to be a Brave again

Degenerate39
10-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Glavine made it public not long ago that he wants to be a Brave again

That's where I see him going in the offseason

Hey Meat
10-04-2007, 10:14 PM
A pitcher in his twilightcoming to GABP. Highly unlikely that this would help. Highly unlikely that this would happen.

GoReds33
10-05-2007, 06:56 PM
That's where I see him going in the offseasonMe too. Wouldn't it be nice to see that old Braves group retire the same year?:)

AmarilloRed
10-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Glavine always gave the Reds fits whenever he was pitching for the Braves. I am not sure i want to see that again.

DannyB
10-10-2007, 05:25 PM
$13,000,000
Thats Thirteen Million Dollars!!!!!
I wouldnt need 5 days to think about that.

Jay Bruce
10-10-2007, 06:00 PM
He got 3 million from the buyout, so the question to Glavine was whether he could get more than 10 million on the open market. I'm guessing that he can.