PDA

View Full Version : Frank TV? Funny?

RBA
10-04-2007, 09:46 PM
This guy has been on Fox Sunday Football and Mad TV. But I haven't seen anything out of him remotely funny that would warrant his own comedy show on TBS.

Anyone find him funny?

Gainesville Red
10-04-2007, 09:49 PM
I'm already tired of his show, and it won't air for a month.

Ltlabner
10-04-2007, 09:52 PM
His Madden is mildley amusing.

But a whole show....nah.

Red in Chicago
10-04-2007, 10:04 PM
I chuckled once with his Al Pacino, but can't fathom watching an entire show of that crap. Of course, I watched over 150 Reds games this year, so so much for me watching quality tv ;)

BoydsOfSummer
10-04-2007, 11:39 PM
I'm guessing anybody who has watched the playoffs the last two nights has seen the best of that show already. I'm sick of it already also.

Reds Freak
10-05-2007, 12:36 AM
The guy does great impressions but that show is going to last about 21 minutes before it's off the air..

Screwball
10-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Personally, I think Caliendo's stand-up routine is pretty good (I'm a sucker for good impressions). But this whole thing reeks of Blue Collar TV - decently good comedians whose stand-up I like, but whose TV show was god-awful.

I just can't see Frank TV sustaining any type of success.

texasdave
10-05-2007, 11:07 AM
The local morning sports-talk radio show used to have Frank Caliendo on about once a month here. For the most part, I thought he was pretty funny. How a stand-up act translates to television is another question. I will probably tune in the first night.

Chip R
10-05-2007, 11:54 AM
I don't think it's going to be any good but it's on TBS so their idea of successful may be a little different than ABC's, CBS's, NBC's or Fox's. He seems like a talented impressionist but a sitcom may not be his best venue.

Tom Servo
10-05-2007, 12:18 PM
TV's Frank > Frank TV

RedsManRick
10-05-2007, 12:28 PM
I've never quite understood the whole stand-up comedian to sitcom star thing. Shouldn't they become writers, not lead actors?

Screwball
10-05-2007, 12:45 PM
I've never quite understood the whole stand-up comedian to sitcom star thing. Shouldn't they become writers, not lead actors?

$$$.

Yachtzee
10-05-2007, 01:29 PM

Actually, I thought they did it so that they could cast some young hot actress as their wife. I'm surprised Frank Caliendo didn't jump on the Fat Husband-Hot Wife bandwagon.

Blimpie
10-05-2007, 01:33 PM
IMO his best impression is of Jim Rome...

Chip R
10-05-2007, 01:49 PM
IMO his best impression is of Jim Rome...

Is he the one who does it on Tom and Bob?

Strikes Out Looking
10-05-2007, 01:51 PM
The problem with him is he needs writers to make him funny. His impressions are good, but what he says (the writing) isn't.

Blimpie
10-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Is he the one who does it on Tom and Bob?Yep. It's a pretty spot-on impression.

I have a friend who uses it as his ring tone.

Razor Shines
10-05-2007, 02:41 PM

I don't know I think we'd have all been done a huge disservice if Jerry Seinfeld decided not to star in his show.

Razor Shines
10-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Is he the one who does it on Tom and Bob?

Actually they have a different guy who does Rome regularly on the show but they have Frank on quite often and when Frank is on the show that guy will "call in" and they'll do both do Rome talking to each other. But Caliendo's is much better than the other guy's.

Chip R
10-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Yep. It's a pretty spot-on impression.

I have a friend who uses it as his ring tone.

Actually they have a different guy who does Rome regularly on the show but they have Frank on quite often and when Frank is on the show that guy will "call in" and they'll do both do Rome talking to each other. But Caliendo's is much better than the other guy's.

Well, whoever does it is spot on. They have the inflections and the pauses down and everything. I heard it once and I was LMAO.

redsfanmia
10-05-2007, 03:13 PM

Its Ron Sexton that does the Rome impression when they have dueling Romes. Sexton also does Donny Baker, Ken Tarmac and Floyd Tucker the over the road trucker.

redsfanmia
10-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Frank Calliendo is this generations Rich Little IMO, does good impressions but really has no other act.

gonelong
10-05-2007, 03:21 PM

Comics work in front of an audience and have a good idea of what works and what doesn't. It makes some sense to cast them rather than have them write. When it works, it often works really well.

The Cosby Show, Full House, Rosanne, Home Improvement, Sienfeld, and Everybody Loves Raymond are good examples of established comics raking in piles of money for the networks.

GL

GoReds33
10-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Is he the one who does it on Tom and Bob?I think so. I was a little confused when I saw Tom and Bob. I usually think of it as Bob and Tom. I love his videoes. I will watch the first episode. I hope it's a good show.:)

Chip R
10-05-2007, 04:03 PM
I think so. I was a little confused when I saw Tom and Bob.

:doh:I'm obviously not a regular listener.

GAC
10-05-2007, 04:19 PM
I don't know I think we'd have all been done a huge disservice if Jerry Seinfeld decided not to star in his show.

I agree; but he had a writer by the name of Larry David that IMO made that show. If you'll notice, once David left, the show was gone after the next year and not even Seinfeld could sustain the show.

And I love Curb Your Enthusiasm!

GAC
10-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Frank Calliendo is this generations Rich Little IMO, does good impressions but really has no other act.

Some may not remember him. but I think David Frye was better then Rich Little.

Chip R
10-05-2007, 04:27 PM
Some may not remember him. but I think David Frye was better then Rich Little.

Just you and RFS. :p:

BoydsOfSummer
10-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Rich Little- dead oir alive?

RFS62
10-05-2007, 09:47 PM
I used to like Frank. Thought he was pretty funny.

Now I'd like to kill him.

Is it possible to completely overexpose a performer before the show even starts?

I think it is.

Chip R
10-06-2007, 12:35 AM
Is it possible to completely overexpose a performer before the show even starts?

I think it is.

His father is the district attorney!

Yachtzee
10-06-2007, 12:43 AM
His father is the district attorney!

I think this season the phrase is "Dirty...Sexy...Money."

Ravenlord
10-06-2007, 03:06 AM
i like Frank much better as a stand-up where he is one of the funniest people around.

redsfan1966
10-06-2007, 09:06 AM
Rich Little...unfortantely still alive...and I am also sick of Frank Caliendo and its still a month and a half away till his little garbage show starts.....Frank is funny in spots....I concur the Jim Rome is killer....but no way he sustains a whole show....Frank is ok up until about after 10 or 15 minutes....then you just want to tell him to go away..

jmcclain19
10-07-2007, 05:39 AM
Here's Frank doing Rome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s8BZjcP3qU

I had the chance to see Frank about 18 months ago in person - and I was severely disappointed. I'd seen tons on YouTube of his material, and I couldn't wait to go when I found out he was in town. But if you've done a YouTube search for him - that's pretty much his standup act - save yourself the 25 bucks and the two drinks and stay home.

I'm sure his TV show will be more of the same.

GoReds33
10-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Here's Frank doing Rome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s8BZjcP3qU

I had the chance to see Frank about 18 months ago in person - and I was severely disappointed. I'd seen tons on YouTube of his material, and I couldn't wait to go when I found out he was in town. But if you've done a YouTube search for him - that's pretty much his standup act - save yourself the 25 bucks and the two drinks and stay home.

I'm sure his TV show will be more of the same.That was absolutly hilarious. I still like his Madden impression better.:)

Chip R
10-07-2007, 11:35 AM
That was excellent!

cincinnati chili
10-07-2007, 11:50 AM
I have no idea if he can sustain an entire show, but his George Bush impression is off-the-charts good. It's not only the best Bush impression I've ever seen, but the best impression of any president I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4n7WyrB0G8

MWM
10-08-2007, 09:52 AM
Frank Caliendo is freaking hilarious. But I don't see him sustaining a show over time. I give it a few months.The one thing that might sustain him a little longer would be the Presidential election in 2008.

Matt700wlw
10-08-2007, 03:37 PM
For a guy who doesn't look like anything George W Bush, his Bush impression, complete with the facials, is really good.

I like impressions, and the ones I've seen him do, he nails them.

RBA
10-12-2007, 11:56 AM
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/10/12/sports/maffei/22_35_0310_11_07.txt

Quite Frankly, TBS is ruining the MLB playoffs

By: JOHN MAFFEI - Staff Writer

I've come 180 degrees from last week.

While I still think TBS' actual broadcast of the Major League Baseball playoffs is good, I now find the network's games unwatchable.

The reason, you ask? It's the non-stop promotion of "Frank TV." I've never been a big fan of comedian Frank Caliendo, but have nothing against him, either.

But watching at least one promo for his new show every half inning of every division series game last week on TBS ---- and at times watching the back stop ad boards roll promos for the show ---- have not just soured me on Caliendo and his show, but TBS.

By my unofficial count, TBS aired no less than 300 promos for "Frank TV" during 13 division series games. That number could have doubled if all four series had played out to five games.

And a voice comes on and tells you "For more 'Frank TV' go to TBS.com." It's impossible. There can't be any more "Frank TV".

We've seen it all. There is no reason to watch the show when it debuts in November.

Hey, TBS! Have you ever heard of overkill? If not for reruns of "King of Queens", "Seinfeld", "Friends", "Everybody Loves Raymond" or "The Office", there is no reason to watch TBS. So it has gone overboard on its one original show.

You can't blame Caliendo.

He certainly has some talent, he has a new show, and a network that wants to promote it.

Every network blatantly promotes its shows during big sports events.

During the Super Bowl or World Series, the networks ---- NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox ---- will air up to 75 promos for shows ---- but never more than a dozen for any one program.

And the Super Bowl is a one-day event.

While there are several different "Frank TV" promos, you could catch the same one a dozen times during a game.

The best thing I can say about the division series on TBS is "Thank God, three of four were three and out." TBS has the NLCS, and the strategy won't change ---- "Frank TV" will again be forced down our throats.

But I have the remote handy now, and will quickly flip off "Frank TV" at the end of each inning for the NLCS on TBS.

And I'll stay tuned when a real network ---- Fox ---- has the ALCS.

Thankfully, Fox has the World Series, too.

Chip R
10-12-2007, 12:07 PM

Yeah, because they would never overhype one of their new shows. :rolleyes:

Reds Freak
10-12-2007, 12:29 PM
[url]

This guy must be a fan of unnecessary swoops and swirls and swigglies and sound effects in his broadcast of baseball games. I think TBS is doing a nice job aside from the promotion of FrankTV thing. It's nothing fancy, they don't try to make the broadcast bigger than the game. I can't wait for the opportunity for "Slider" to show me how a curve ball is thrown or listen to Joe Buck making poetic overstatements...:rolleyes:

BoxingRed
10-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Rich Little- dead oir alive?

I believe he is alive.
I think the Repubs tabbed him to be the big comedy speaker at the last White House corespondents dinner. Talk about playing it safe and boring. This was the year after Steve Colbert basically roasted the entire Republican party and press at the same event. The President was not amused.

Gainesville Red
10-12-2007, 12:37 PM
The Frank TV ads drove me crazy as well.

My other pet peeve is managers being interviewed during games. TBS is certainly no more guilty of this than other networks, but it still bothers me a little.

Don't they have other things they should be doing? What's the gain? Do they think the manager's going to say someting important? I can't imagine one doing so.

It seems like all the arguing we do about how important a manager is could be answered right here. They're so important to the game that they have time to do an interview during a half inning.

I'm also a little tired of the 9-foot lead graphic. But not tired of it to complain too much about it.

RedsManRick
10-12-2007, 03:16 PM
At least I can flip away during the commercials. Fox makes the announcers tout their new shows and constantly has camera shots of fox show actors in the stands. It drives me absolutely nuts.

redsfan1966
10-12-2007, 06:23 PM
I really think "FrankTV" may be one of the small group of shows that could be cancelled before it even airs...really, every thing I hear is how everyone is already sick of it and it hasnt aired one episode yet. If it does make it to air---Caliendo would be smart to do a parody of the TBS over hype...

Gainesville Red
10-12-2007, 07:08 PM
I can't believe I haven't mentioned this.

How about Craig Sager's suits every night?

Who's dressing him, Andre 3000?

If you haven't noticed them, they get more and more outlandish? It's crazy.

WMR
11-20-2007, 11:56 PM
I watched the series premiere tonight...

I thought it was horrible.

Gainesville Red
11-21-2007, 12:21 AM

I thought it was horrible.

I'm not even going to give it a chance.

I hate to make uninformed judgments, but those commercials........

Just can't watch it.

guttle11
11-21-2007, 12:46 AM
Caliendo's impressions are only good in short segments on the radio. Seeing him takes away from the impression to me.

BoydsOfSummer
11-21-2007, 07:16 AM
I watched about 10 minutes. That will last me a lifetime.

MWM
11-21-2007, 09:18 AM
I watched some of it and I'm a fan of his. But this was just bad. It won't last more than a month. I actually felt bad for him.

Blimpie
11-21-2007, 11:15 AM

I thought it was horrible.Holy crap. This series just premiered last night?

It seems like I was sick of the promos about, oh.... six months ago.

traderumor
11-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Never been impressed with....impressionists....unless parodied, such as SNL. For example, Rich Little could nail anyone from an impression perspective, but he lacked the ability to parody. I don't think he was mean-spirited enough to take it the other step. But this guy, besides the aforementioned overkill, seems to be in the Rich Little vein. I think TBS should stick to reruns and baseball.

RedsManRick
11-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Caliendo is perfect for doing bit appearances, a night out for stand up, or part of a big ensemble like SNL. Frank TV is doomed to be out of ideas after 2-3 episodes. Just horrible.

GoReds33
11-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Caliendo is perfect for doing bit appearances, a night out for stand up, or part of a big ensemble like SNL. Frank TV is doomed to be out of ideas after 2-3 episodes. Just horrible.I think they were out of ideas before the first episode. I had already seen the first sketch they did before. That was just stupid. I gave up about halfway through the first segment.

jmcclain19
11-21-2007, 06:50 PM
I caught some of it last night- it reminded me of MadTV, and not it a good way - with only Frank. I can't see it lasting very long. Some parts were funny, most weren't.

OldRightHander
11-22-2007, 08:53 PM
I never watched it, but I hear him on XM on occasion and he's fairly funny on there. Of course that's usually in short doses. I don't know if he's one of those people who could keep my attention for long periods of time.

cincinnati chili
11-23-2007, 02:00 AM
I saw a standup special the other night. The guy is incredibly talented and entertaining. It's too bad they're wasting the guy's talent on sketch comedy.

Most impressionists do caricatures, and that's entertaining in an entirely different way. His impressions are often dead-on.

Dana Carvey's George Bush Sr. was amusing, but it didn't really sound anything like him. Caliendo's George W. could probably fool members of W's own family.

BoydsOfSummer
11-23-2007, 05:18 PM
He does a better Madden than even Madden. And let's face it, John Madden is nothing but an impression of himself.

WMR
11-27-2007, 11:46 PM
I didn't think it would happen, but I can honestly say that the second episode was even less funny than the first one.

And did anyone else notice how they jacked up the laugh track BIG TIME on this episode?

Yanno what that means... the suits are already panicking. "UP THE LAUGH TRACKS, MAYBE THAT WILL TRICK PEOPLE INTO LAUGHING" :lol: :laugh:

Wow this show is bad.

BuckeyeRed27
11-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Well apparently I'm in the minority but I think the show is hilarious.

redsfan1966
11-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Did not see "FrankTV" but did see the standup special recently....not very funny. Frank is good in small doses. Unfortunately I see Frank flaming out and going the commercial/voiceover/playing the "Chuckle Hut" route the rest of his career. He does do a good Jim Rome...was that part of "FrankTV"?

RedsManRick
11-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Impressions are hilarious, but never more than a novelty. Sort of amazes me that bit time executives can miss the obvious.

Blimpie
11-28-2007, 08:07 PM
I love watching reruns of The Office on Tuesday nights in syndication on TBS.

I loathe that every single commercial that TBS runs during The Office is for Frank TV....and I do mean EVERY single one.

jmcclain19
11-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Well apparently I'm in the minority but I think the show is hilarious.

Apparently you're not the only one - looks like ratings have been excellent so far

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/artman2/publish/Cable_20/For_Frank_TV_strike_has_been_a_boon.asp

WMR
11-28-2007, 10:58 PM
Same reason girl's baseball got attendance during WWII.

cincinnati chili
11-29-2007, 01:33 AM
Same reason girl's baseball got attendance during WWII.

Are you implying the good TV talent is off fighting in Iraq right now? :)

I wondered what Jerry Seinfeld was up to these days when he wasn't making bumble bee cartoons.

GoReds33
11-29-2007, 07:35 AM
Apparently you're not the only one - looks like ratings have been excellent so far

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/artman2/publish/Cable_20/For_Frank_TV_strike_has_been_a_boon.aspThey put so many stupid commercials on tv, somebody was bound to watch. I watched the first episode just to see if I would like it or not. I suspect that was what the rest of those two million people were doing.

WMR
03-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Well TBS finally canceled Frank TV. :D Won't have to be annoyed to death during the playoffs this year.

GoReds33
03-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Well TBS finally canceled Frank TV. :D Won't have to be annoyed to death during the playoffs this year.Hopefully their next cancellation is Tyler Perry's House of Payne. I just don't see the humor.