PDA

View Full Version : Pet Peeve: Boss's Day

Caveat Emperor
10-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Yesterday, the e-mail went out in my office that one of the employees in the division is collecting money for "Boss's Day" on October 16. Everyone was asked to give $20 ($10 per boss) to throw in for buying a card and group gift for both bosses.

Am I the only person that thinks this "Holiday" is a total crock? Not to sound like a total troll, but I'm being asked to give money to buy a gift for someone who makes roughly double my salary just because they happen to be in a position of authority over me. Adding insult to injury, its not like you can just decline to throw money in without looking like a cheap jerk.

I like my bosses a lot, but I don't see why we need a holiday, complete with collection & card, to celebrate the fact that they are in charge of me and my co-workers. You'd think the other 364 days of "Yes Sir," "No Sir," and "I'll get right on that" would be enough.

Rant over.

Falls City Beer
10-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Yesterday, the e-mail went out in my office that one of the employees in the division is collecting money for "Boss's Day" on October 16. Everyone was asked to give $20 ($10 per boss) to throw in for buying a card and group gift for both bosses.

Am I the only person that thinks this "Holiday" is a total crock? Not to sound like a total troll, but I'm being asked to give money to buy a gift for someone who makes roughly double my salary just because they happen to be in a position of authority over me. Adding insult to injury, its not like you can just decline to throw money in without looking like a cheap jerk.

I like my bosses a lot, but I don't see why we need a holiday, complete with collection & card, to celebrate the fact that they are in charge of me and my co-workers. You'd think the other 364 days of "Yes Sir," "No Sir," and "I'll get right on that" would be enough.

Rant over.

It's total crap.

I never gave when I had a "boss" job. Now I have no "boss" that I'm truly beholden to.

Yeah, it's total lickspittle top-down garbage.

RichRed
10-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Completely agree. Every day is Boss's Day. Go buy your own card. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

GAC
10-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Tell your Boss you made a donation in his name to the Human Fund! :lol:

http://www.deadparrots.net/images/humanfund.jpg

Johnny Footstool
10-05-2007, 10:43 AM
It's too much like paying tribute to the king in days of yore.

Falls City Beer
10-05-2007, 11:50 AM
It's too much like paying tribute to the king in days of yore.

Except feudalism was probably more merciful to the worker (relative to the times and technology) than capitalism.

The king was in the gated community with the serfs at least.

Roy Tucker
10-05-2007, 11:52 AM
So when is the Worker Bee Day? And the showering of gifts from people upstream?

RichRed
10-05-2007, 11:56 AM

June 32nd.

MrCinatit
10-05-2007, 12:13 PM

I once asked a boss that very question.
His answer: "Payday."

Gee...thanks boss. Here's your "Worlds Bast Boss" mug I picked up on the clearance table.

Falls City Beer
10-05-2007, 12:29 PM
I once asked a boss that very question.
His answer: "Payday."

Gee...thanks boss. Here's your "Worlds Bast Boss" mug I picked up on the clearance table.

So what does that make *their* payday?

15fan
10-05-2007, 12:48 PM
I'm a boss.

I hate the idea.

(Of Boss Day, that is.)

I also have a boss. That dynamic could be better. But it could be much worse, too, I guess.

KittyDuran
10-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Haven't had a Boss Day for a few years now... shhh....:pray:

[of course, it might be because we spend getting them gifts for Xmas - that's a good $60-$80 per employee (4 bosses).]

pedro
10-05-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm holding out for "rich white man day".

10-05-2007, 02:13 PM
I just don't get buying a boss a gift for their day or Christmas. Then again I work in a union shop. They do whatever they can do get workers to produce more.. I know..that is their job...they want you to work harder to make them look better, as they are all pitted against the other crews, and I'm suppose to show them appreciation?

Actually, I kind of like most of my bosses.

westofyou
10-05-2007, 02:15 PM

Every Day is Rich White Mans Day.

Sea Ray
10-05-2007, 02:16 PM
All these Hallmark Holidays are crap. I don't do any of them except Feb 14th (and I'm trying to get out of that one). My employees do get me something for Boss's Day but I tell them not to. Truth is I don't even know it's coming. I don't follow such things and I do not want them spending their hard earned money on me. They work hard for me and that's plenty. I give them paychecks and that's plenty for them. Forget the Boss/secretary/grandparents/sweetest/whatever days.

Yachtzee
10-05-2007, 02:23 PM
When's Intern Day?

pedro
10-05-2007, 02:29 PM
When's Intern Day?

right after "non equatable salary day"

Falls City Beer
10-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Actually, I kind of like most of my bosses.

Me too. I can't think of a boss I didn't like. I still don't think I owed them a gift. And my salary was always my salary; not a gift.

gonelong
10-05-2007, 03:59 PM
I have a few people that report to me, though I never have really thought of myself as anyone's boss. I prefer to think of myself as the team leader, with the emphasis on the team.

I'd be mortified if anyone of them so much as mentioned it much less got me a card or ... or .... gulp! .... collected money for a gift.

GL

TeamBoone
10-05-2007, 05:24 PM
CE, don't donate and don't feel guilty about it either. Tell the "collector" the truth, that you don't believe in it and you'd rather give the $20 to charity or something.

GAC
10-05-2007, 05:27 PM

It's easier to pee downstream. ;)

WMR
10-05-2007, 05:33 PM

White Guilt Wednesdays?

pedro
10-05-2007, 05:39 PM
White Guilt Wednesdays?

I like it. We could eat soy based products and listen to world music.

WMR
10-05-2007, 05:41 PM

Hahahahahaha love ya Pedro. :D :laugh:

Cyclone792
10-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Tell your Boss you made a donation in his name to the Human Fund! :lol:

http://www.deadparrots.net/images/humanfund.jpg

And a new holiday was born! A festivus for the rest of us!

We shall begin with the airing of grievances.

Boss' Day is petty, useless, and all around stinks!

GAC
10-05-2007, 08:25 PM

soy bean products make me fart, and I'd end up getting fired.

WMR
10-05-2007, 08:28 PM
soy bean products make me fart, and I'd end up getting fired.

Getting fired is the least you could do on White Guilt Day.