PDA

View Full Version : Jim Tracy fired in Pittsburgh. Could LaRussa end up there?

Unassisted
10-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Since the article mentions LaRussa, it made me wonder if Pittsburgh might make a run at him.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/pirates/s_531035.html

Decision on Bucs' Tracy, coaches could come today
By Rob Biertempfel
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, October 5, 2007
Manager Jim Tracy and the rest of the Pirates coaching staff will not have to wait much longer to discover whether they will keep their jobs.

Late Thursday afternoon, general manager Neal Huntington said he was in the midst of deciding who, if anyone, stays.
"We're definitely into the evaluation phase," Huntington said.

"We're done with the information-gathering process. It's time-consuming, but I need to do everything in my power to make sure the process is thorough, fair and efficient.

"I empathize with the people who are out there wondering what their futures hold. But I also believe they would want me to go through it the right way and come to the right decisions."

An announcement could come as soon as today.
Huntington declined to say whether Tracy and his staff would be fired or retained en masse, or if some coaches would be kept.

If the Pirates opt to fire Tracy, it would be better for all concerned to move quickly. That would give the departing coaches ample time to find new jobs and give the Pirates a larger pool of candidates to interview.

The Cincinnati Reds this week ramped up their search for a new manager. St. Louis manager Tony La Russa has yet to decide whether he wants to return for a 13th season with the Cardinals.

Tracy has one year left on his three-year, $3.2 million contract.

The Pirates have gone 135-189 in two seasons under Tracy. This year, the team finished 68-94, the worst record in the National League.

Monday, Huntington and president Frank Coonelly met with Tracy and the coaches for about eight hours at PNC Park.
"I can't say enough good things about those people, given the adverse circumstances -- the uncertainty, the unknown going forward -- that the meeting was held under," Huntington said. "They gave me open and honest opinions. We broke down the club, its strengths and limitations, and we broke down the players."

Huntington and Coonelly also are evaluating the player development, acquisition and scouting staffs, with an eye toward making changes.

"The biggest area we need to impact right away is our aggressiveness in Latin America," Huntington said.
When it comes to mining talent from Central and South American, the Pirates have been understaffed and unproductive for years. Huntington said the club also must overhaul its outdated data collection and storage system.

Huntington used to work for the Cleveland Indians, who have a much more integrated data system.

"From an information technology standpoint, that's an area where I've already noticed the difference between where I was and where I am," Huntington said.

Currently, Pirates executive and scouts do not have a single, smooth process to access amateur and professional scouting reports, statistical analysis, general statistics, contract information, biographical information, and video files of players and prospects.

"There are a multitude of sources we have to go to right now," Huntington said. "It's not as efficient as it needs to be."
Huntington was unsure how much time, money and manpower it will take to upgrade the data system.

"I have not had time to jump into details of that yet," he said. "Right now, my focus is on the major league team and staff."

JaxRed
10-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Actually if they fire Tracy, they must appoint an interim, then hire that person. Because the last 3 manager hires they've done were non-interims, and all ended up being fired after losing seasons. And we know it's not getting the right person that matters, it is altering the hiring process.

GAC
10-05-2007, 11:06 AM
After one year he may be gone?

Good luck finding any solid candidate to take that job.

Job requirement:

Must be able to part Allegheny River.

That certainly will be a short bio in Wikipedia! :lol:

Joseph
10-05-2007, 11:35 AM
It's two years though isn't it GAC?

GAC
10-05-2007, 11:55 AM
It's two years though isn't it GAC?

Yep. You're right. I thought he was hired last October, but it was in October of '05.

And to think some wanted him to be considered for the Red's vacancy simply because he was from the area. ;)

KronoRed
10-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Can anyone win with how the Pirates are run? I doubt it.

Matt700wlw
10-05-2007, 02:06 PM
FIRED. According to ESPN news

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_531161.html

He's a local guy....watch out :eek:

RedsManRick
10-05-2007, 02:42 PM
It'll be real interesting to see who Huntington brings in. I'd be very surprised to see any coach with a known identity (ie. LaRussa, Girardi). More along the lines of a Terry Francona type: Some experience, willing to work closely with the front office, doesn't need to be the identity of the team.

Falls City Beer
10-05-2007, 02:58 PM

Absolutely not.

Wheelhouse
10-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Hmmmm...they might bring Mackannin back...

JaxRed
10-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Every team with an opening will be considering Mackanin

Chip R
10-05-2007, 03:44 PM
I don't think Tracy was a bad manager. He was obviously handicapped by what he had to work with. However, I don't think he's John McGraw reincarnated as George Grande seems to think. I'm not sure he's an upgrade over Mackanin.

Wheelhouse
10-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Tracy is a decent manager--some of those Dodger teams he managed were riddled with injuries, yet he somehow managed to win, except, of course, in his last year with them.

GAC
10-05-2007, 05:37 PM
I don't think Tracy was a bad manager. He was obviously handicapped by what he had to work with.

He was fired by the handicapped. That had to make him feel good.

KittyDuran
10-05-2007, 05:39 PM
He's a local guy....watch out :eek:
Hamiltucky!!! :thumbup:

KronoRed
10-06-2007, 01:33 AM
Hamiltucky!!! :thumbup:

How will he manage from the upper deck?

:D

Ron Madden
10-06-2007, 04:33 AM
Hmmmm...they might bring Mackannin back...

I hope not. Give him time and he will turn into Jerry Narron.

Stay away from Jim Tracy and Joe Girardi, they are but carbon copies of Narron.

jojo
10-06-2007, 08:29 AM
It's more likely that Jim Tracy will end up here.....

cincinnati chili
10-06-2007, 02:17 PM

I can personally guarantee you that the Pirates will be run differently, having worked with both their former GM and their current President.

I'm not smart enough to know whether it will be better (though I suspect the results will be better), but we're talking completely different backgrounds and worldviews here.

Chip R
10-10-2007, 02:34 PM
I found an article in the PIT paper about Tracy's leadership and his obsession with the 2004 Dodgers

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07279/823431-63.stm

westofyou
10-10-2007, 02:39 PM
I found an article in the PIT paper about Tracy's leadership and his obsession with the 2004 Dodgers

Now THAT'S a baseball article... just crazy.

redsmetz
10-10-2007, 03:18 PM

It's funny, I found the description of Tracy's desire to remake the Pirates into the Dodgers almost like Hitchcock's movie Vertigo

http://www.mulholland-drive.net/pics/reference/vertigo5.jpg

And that seems to have left the Pirates

http://www.akg-images.com/akg_couk/_customer/london/images/en/collections/album/akg_262700.jpg