PDA

View Full Version : The Reds, an obvious possibility for Girardi

Matt700wlw
10-05-2007, 12:22 PM
La Russa may stick around in St. Louis

Don't rule out Tony La Russa returning to the Cardinals, an industry source says, even though Walt Jocketty is out as general manager.

La Russa, who turned 63 on Thursday, apparently is intent on managing next season, and the Cardinals still might be his best opportunity.

The Reds have yet to decide on whether to bring back Pete Mackanin. The Royals need to replace Buddy Bell. The Pirates still could fire Jim Tracy.

La Russa probably would not want any of those jobs, however — and might find the idea of possibly replacing Joe Torre with the Yankees to be equally unappealing.

Even teams that theoretically might fire their managers to hire La Russa — the Brewers, Orioles, Blue Jays, even the Dodgers — might not meet his competitive goals or price.

La Russa earned a reported $2.8 million last season.

Girardi: Still waiting

Joe Girardi remains a wild card in the managerial sweepstakes. The departure of Rick Kranitz as Marlins pitching coach was widely interpreted as a signal that Girardi could be close to another position.

Kranitz joined his longtime friend with the Marlins in 2006. He remained with the team last season after Girardi was fired, but recently declined the club's offer to return.

The most obvious possibility for Girardi — assuming Torre remains with the Yankees — is Cincinnati, where owner Bob Castellini is believed to be seeking a big-name manager.

Girardi turned down the Orioles last summer, saying the timing wasn't right for his family. It is not known whether the Reds are pursuing him or if he would be interested in their position.

Girardi declined comment Thursday.

- Ken Rostenthal
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7298064

Blimpie
10-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Girardi make Blimpie happy.

KronoRed
10-05-2007, 01:04 PM
I'd rather have someone with a winning season on their resume.

pedro
10-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Personally I think Girardi is a downgrade from Mackanin. I'd hazard to guess that most folks who support this move didn't actually pay close attention to the Marlins when he was the manager there, except for the fact that they managed to do better than they expected in the won/loss department.

Here's some input from our resident marlins fan and expert ramp101.

Man, nobody liked Girardi last year on the Marlins save for 2 veterans. I don't remember a whole lot because I have blocked most of last year out but here is what I do remember. The no facial hair policy. You wouldn't think it was a big deal, but when atleast 15 players showed up to camp this year with facial hair, you knew what was up.

He had no idea how to run a bullpen and has no clue how to judge talent. This is the same manager who wanted Mike Jacobs to be in the minors and Josh Willingham behind homeplate. He wanted Josh Johnson to be in AA while retreads like Brian Moehler to get most of the starts in the 3rd spot in the rotation.

He talked back to his owner and told him to "f" himself. This is the same guy who routinely bunted with Dan Uggla (hitting 2nd in the order). The same Dan Uggla who set a rookie record with 27 homeruns at 2B. This is the same guy who routinely started Alfredo Amezaga in CF vs lefties, when his career OPS vs them is under .400.

I have never hated a manager so much in my life. And I had to deal with Jeff Torborg, so that's saying alot.

hope that helps

acredsfan
10-05-2007, 01:12 PM
I really wish people would quit calling Girardi a "big-name manager." Honestly, he has proven nothing in his 1 season. He has no track record as a manager, and honestly he is getting by on his reputation as a player. If you want to call him a well known player turned manager be my guest. Until he proves to be a consistent winner, then he isn't a big name MANAGER. At least Pete Mackanin had a winning record in his short time as manager this last season.

Roy Tucker
10-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I'd rather the Reds go with a coldly analytical type rather than a blowtorch to the privates kind of guy.

The Reds will have a grab bag of talent in 2008 and the manager is going to need to able to keenly analyze, evaluate, and cultivate the talent. Not beat them with a stick.

Falls City Beer
10-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I'd rather the Reds go with a coldly analytical type rather than a blowtorch to the privates kind of guy.

The Reds will have a grab bag of talent in 2008 and the manager is going to need to able to keenly analyze, evaluate, and cultivate the talent. Not beat them with a stick.

I agree.

RedsManRick
10-05-2007, 01:31 PM

:beerme:

flyer85
10-05-2007, 01:34 PM
I hope the Reds pass on him.

Blimpie
10-05-2007, 01:35 PM
I guess that makes me the fifth dentist who could never quite agree with the rest of peers...

:D

pahster
10-05-2007, 01:39 PM
I'll be very disappointed if the Reds hire Girardi.

Chip R
10-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Personally I think Girardi is a downgrade from Mackanin. I'd hazard to guess that most folks who support this move didn't actually pay close attention to the Marlins when he was the manager there, except for the fact that they managed to do better than they expected in the won/loss department.

I agree. No Girardi.

Sea Ray
10-05-2007, 01:50 PM
I really wish people would quit calling Girardi a "big-name manager." Honestly, he has proven nothing in his 1 season. He has no track record as a manager, and honestly he is getting by on his reputation as a player. If you want to call him a well known player turned manager be my guest. Until he proves to be a consistent winner, then he isn't a big name MANAGER. At least Pete Mackanin had a winning record in his short time as manager this last season.

He does have a track record as a manager, albeit a short one. He took a $14mill payroll team that fell just short of a .500 record. He also has a Manager of the Year award on his mantel which shows that a lot of people thought he did a good job managing.

I think we can forget the idea of getting a Lou Pinella name manager here because of money. This would include folks like Torre and LaRussa. I do wonder if Davey Johnson might be a possibility. I'd like to see him return. However it might boil down to guys like Girardi, Mackanin, Jim Tracy or Bob Brenly. Of those I think Girardi is as good as any of them.

Caveat Emperor
10-05-2007, 01:54 PM
I hope the Reds pass on him.

Might not have to -- last word I had was that Girardi passed on them.

Matt700wlw
10-05-2007, 01:59 PM

The last read I got was that he wasn't going to discuss things in detail with any club until the baseball season was over, because he's currently under a contract as a broadcaster...

Who knows? Your sources may be a little closer and direct to you than mine (considering, I know who you are, that's definitely possible) ;)

RFS62
10-05-2007, 02:04 PM

Excellent post. I agree.

:beerme:

Wheelhouse
10-05-2007, 02:20 PM
He wants to manage the Yankees. If that means waiting another year, he will.

RedlegJake
10-05-2007, 02:21 PM
He does have a track record as a manager, albeit a short one. He took a $14mill payroll team that fell just short of a .500 record. He also has a Manager of the Year award on his mantel which shows that a lot of people thought he did a good job managing.

I think we can forget the idea of getting a Lou Pinella name manager here because of money. This would include folks like Torre and LaRussa. I do wonder if Davey Johnson might be a possibility. I'd like to see him return. However it might boil down to guys like Girardi, Mackanin, Jim Tracy or Bob Brenly. Of those I think Girardi is as good as any of them.

He also created a lot of turmoil within the organization, and was disliked by players. Not that by itself that bothers me, but to turn your conclusion on its head: it might boil down to guys like Girardi, Mackanin, Jim Tracy or Bob Brenly. Of those I think MacKanin is as good as any of them

If the Reds are going to change managers let it be an upgrade. None of the guys you mention are an improvement, imo. I'll bet someone hires Mac as manager if the Reds let him go. He's done a good job in two different interim gigs. I'm not for or against keeping him - I just want a process that includes the best candidates who are willing to manage here. At the end of that process CastK&Crew can decide.

flyer85
10-05-2007, 02:31 PM
excellent

bucksfan2
10-05-2007, 02:32 PM
He also created a lot of turmoil within the organization, and was disliked by players. Not that by itself that bothers me, but to turn your conclusion on its head: it might boil down to guys like Girardi, Mackanin, Jim Tracy or Bob Brenly. Of those I think MacKanin is as good as any of them

If the Reds are going to change managers let it be an upgrade. None of the guys you mention are an improvement, imo. I'll bet someone hires Mac as manager if the Reds let him go. He's done a good job in two different interim gigs. I'm not for or against keeping him - I just want a process that includes the best candidates who are willing to manage here. At the end of that process CastK&Crew can decide.

I dont think that Mackanin gets an automatic gig as a manager if the reds let him go. Remember the was with the Pirates and lobbied to get the job and didn't get it. I think he has done an ok job but don't think he should be back with the reds. Out of Girardi, LaRussa, Brenly, Tracy, and Mackanin I have to pick Girardi. I do not want LaRussa and his ego around here. I also wonder about his age, desire, and how well he will work with a different GM. Brenly did a good job in Arizona but did it with probably the best 1-2 pitching punch seen in a long time. If this were 2 years ago I would want Tracy but after his lackluster stint in Pittsburgh I think the reds should hold off. Girardi did get a Florida team to play above what anyone expected out of them. Albiet they were talented he had the playing around the same level as more talented teams.

LINEDRIVER
10-05-2007, 02:52 PM
food for thought......

Incase anybody is interested in the 'age' factor, Davey Johnson turns 65 on January 30th.

Sometimes that seems to matter, sometimes it doesnt. Just sayin'.....

If Johnson were to come to Cincinnati, he'd probably ask for three-year deal but might settle for a two-year deal. So, that's going to put him at 67 or 68 as a Reds' mgr.

Some folks might question his ability to relate to players so much younger than himself.

MartyFan
10-05-2007, 03:08 PM
I don't have anything against Girardi but I am not thinking he is a difference maker...looking at what Mack did over half a season and what Girardi did over an entire season I'd say they should both be looked at in the same light.

Mack started from behind the 8 ball when the season had a chance to beat up on the players going out there every day...So frankly, I would give a very slight advantage to Mack.

acredsfan
10-06-2007, 12:15 AM
He does have a track record as a manager, albeit a short one. He took a $14mill payroll team that fell just short of a .500 record. He also has a Manager of the Year award on his mantel which shows that a lot of people thought he did a good job managing. Jerry Narron kept the Reds in the pennant race last year with gaping holes in the roster, but he doesn't have a trophy on his mantle.. He doesn't even have a job. I have a ton of trophys on my dresser at my parent's house, but I didn't become a great professional baseball or basketball player, and I sure as heck didn't become a scientist. If he shows me a world series ring as a manager then we will talk, until then I'll take my chances with Mackanin, who at least has support in the clubhouse and the front office. You can't do much when you isolate yourself.

WVRedsFan
10-06-2007, 01:07 AM
I don't think there's any doubt that the Reds will look at all possibilities including Jim Tracy. In fact, Tracy might be the front runner if he is available. Segway to Mack, who did an admireable job as manager (though the late season swoon, brought on by injuries to Dunn and Griffey) did an admirable job.

Pete is a large step up from Miley, Boone, and Narron. If the field includes Girardi, Brenley, Tracy and Mack, I go with either Mack or Brenley. But I pray it's on one-year deal. That's all I ask.

pedro
10-06-2007, 01:21 AM
I don't think there's any doubt that the Reds will look at all possibilities including Jim Tracy. In fact, Tracy might be the front runner if he is available. Segway to Mack, who did an admireable job as manager (though the late season swoon, brought on by injuries to Dunn and Griffey) did an admirable job.

Pete is a large step up from Miley, Boone, and Narron. If the field includes Girardi, Brenley, Tracy and Mack, I go with either Mack or Brenley. But I pray it's on one-year deal. That's all I ask.

I don't think the length of the contract is important at all as long as they are willing to cut bait at the end of 2008 if it isn't working. Managers don't make that much money anyway.

One thing I know for sure is that outside of Mackanin the Reds chances of getting a manager to take the helm of the Reds on a 1 year deal are slim to none.

Ron Madden
10-06-2007, 03:29 AM
Good Lord!

I hope it's not Girardi orTracy or anyone like'em.

Haven't we been there and done that.

NJReds
10-06-2007, 08:33 AM
I'm thinking that nothing's going to happen with Girardi until after the Yankees fate is determined. If they crash out of the playoffs against Cleveland, which looks likely, I expect changes in NY. Girardi and Don Mattingly are waiting in the wings.

I wonder if Steinbrenner would try to bring in LaRussa and Jocketty? I haven't heard that speculation, but it would be interesting.

Raisor
10-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Steve Howe for manager!

corkedbat
10-06-2007, 11:28 AM
I'd rather have Davey Johnson than Girardi, Ken Macha too. No real reason, but I get the feeling that it may come down to Mac or Brenly. I'm more interested in who the pitching coach will be.

If Duncan were to be part of the package, then I'd have to hold my nose and call LaRussa my number one choice. I'd be very surprised if the Cards let him out of his contract if they thought he would end up with a division rival.

Chip R
10-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Steve Howe for manager!

Dood, he's dead.

Matt700wlw
10-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Jerry Narron kept the Reds in the pennant race last year with gaping holes in the roster, but he doesn't have a trophy on his mantle..

I hate to be a party pooper, but that's more evidence of this crappy division than it is Jerry Narron's ability as a manger.

osuceltic
10-06-2007, 01:46 PM
I'd be thrilled with Girardi. The guy did a hell of a job with the Marlins and I could care less if the players liked him or not. They liked Dave Miley and Jerry Narron. The White Sox don't always like Ozzie Guillen.

With a veteran team of professionals who approach the game the right way and police themselves, a caretaker type is fine. Torre is a perfect fit for the Yankees, for example. This Reds team needs someone to lead. They lack a leader on the roster. They need to fill that void with a strong managerial personality Girardi qualifies.

Heath
10-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Dood, he's dead.

Well, cross him off then.

Raisor
10-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Well, cross him off then.

I'd take a dead manager over Dusty Baker any day.

Heath
10-06-2007, 09:00 PM
I'd take a dead manager over Dusty Baker any day.

Dead > Dusty Baker.

Just ask Kerry Woods arm.