PDA

View Full Version : New Pirates Manager????

MotownRed
10-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Being a reds fan and living near Pittsburgh, these are the current candidates prominently mentioned to replace Jim Tracey.
Joel Skinner, Ken Macha, Tony Lavulo and Tony Pena.
The Pittsburgh Post Gazette ripped Tracey today with an article providing evidence of a total lack of discipline in the locker room.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pirates/

fadetoblack2880
10-06-2007, 12:04 PM
I hope Tracey isn't a Reds candidate...

HokieRed
10-06-2007, 01:41 PM
No mention of Pete?

TheWalls
10-06-2007, 04:56 PM
My bet's on Pena.

MotownRed
10-06-2007, 06:12 PM
With the new GM being from the Cleveland system, I'd bet on Skinner or their minor league manager LoVulla.

stevekun
10-07-2007, 12:22 AM
Who cares? No just kidding

ThirdBaseCoach
10-07-2007, 04:00 PM
My bet's on Pena.

why would any team consider pena? he quit the Royals when faced with the slightest adversity. let's get serious.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-07-2007, 04:08 PM
I hope Tracey isn't a Reds candidate...

Here is another so-called name manager that should be nowhere near a baseball team, let alone a big-league team. All you have to do is read some of his history going back to the Dodgers to see what an empty-headed sap he really is. He went to LA on the coattails of Kevin Malone, I believe, an old pal from the Expos. Malone was promptly bounced and Tracy soon followed. In fact, Dave Littlefield was another old pal of Tracey's who handed him the Pirates job before he even left LA. It was a set up and should be looked into as possible tampering. How's that workin' out for Tracey and the Pirates.

I agree, Tracey has to fade away and go back to delivering newspapers.

Old NDN
10-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Most of these guys are re-treads and haven't ever won anywhere. Seems like MLB teams are following the NBA lead and just re-cycling coaches/managers.

jnwohio
10-07-2007, 05:24 PM
If no no other reason, Mackanin may is not being mentioned publicly by the Pirates because he is still a Reds employee thru the end of October. The Pirates would have to ask for and receive the Reds OK to talk to him before 1 Nov. John Fay quoted Pete as telling him this in their phone conversation last week.

So Mack is really twisting in the wind (he used the phrase himself) because he has no idea where he stands with the Reds and can't pick the phone up and call the Pirates or Royals etc. for another 3 weeks.

Wouldn't it be a kick if he ended up with the Cards, regardless of where LaRussa went? The way Mack blended in the young guys during his Reds tenure might make him very attractive to somebody like the Cards who now are apparently committed to building from within.

mound_patrol
10-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Well, Tracey did out manage Mack during the only meaningful series the Reds had all year.

jnwohio
10-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Well, Tracey did out manage Mack during the only meaningful series the Reds had all year.

True. Sort of. As I recall the Reds got out of there at 2-2 for 4 games in 3 days. Still pretty sad they could not get a split in the DH. That was Mack's worst moment at a time when he actually had troops to manage. Don't you almost wonder if there wasn't something going on about personnel between Mack and Krivsky about then?

Mack's team did not roll over until it was gutted by injuries. And even in that last week, they still played hard but were just out manned. I don't think you can say the same for Tracy's.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-07-2007, 11:47 PM
I think some posters have to take a step back from the Pirate series or anything else that they say was meaningful. Take a deep cleansing breath and remember the season was over at the AS break as far as being a contender was concerned. This team could not overcome a 20 game deficit no matter who managed it. As far as I'm concerned, Pete had no low points, the players did.

Pete did a respectable job and deserves a chance with the Reds, Pirates, or any other team that wants a good manager.

Another thing. I would put any manager in my daughter's softball league against Tracey any time any place. Tracey has never out managed anyone.

mound_patrol
10-08-2007, 12:51 AM
I think some posters have to take a step back from the Pirate series or anything else that they say was meaningful. Take a deep cleansing breath and remember the season was over at the AS break as far as being a contender was concerned. This team could not overcome a 20 game deficit no matter who managed it. As far as I'm concerned, Pete had no low points, the players did.

Pete did a respectable job and deserves a chance with the Reds, Pirates, or any other team that wants a good manager.

Another thing. I would put any manager in my daughter's softball league against Tracey any time any place. Tracey has never out managed anyone.

No, I'm pretty sure Tracey did outmanage Pete in the Double header. Just my opinion.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-08-2007, 06:58 AM
well ok, mound, you are entitled to an opinion.

mound_patrol
10-08-2007, 11:31 AM
well ok, mound, you are entitled to an incorrect opinion.

Actually an opinion can't be incorrect unless there are facts to support the incorrectness. And there are no facts proving I'm right or wrong with my opinion.

I just remember Pete letting Ellison hit as the tying runner with Dunn on the bench. There was a righty in the game at the time. He also pulled Arroyo after 6 innings of 1 run baseball and 80 pitches thrown only to bring in Majewski who had thrown in the first game. Then we had Tracey using his bullpen to perfection. Score two games for Jim.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-08-2007, 11:37 AM
let it go, mound.

mound_patrol
10-08-2007, 11:42 AM
let it go, mound.

Just responding to what you said. I personally think those few games where the Reds were almost in contention are good games to judge Pete on.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-08-2007, 12:05 PM
let it go, the Reds were never really in contention.

TexRed
10-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Garner's name hasn't come up yet and he has ties to the Bucs. Drayton is still locked in on his salary for next year so a 1 year deal would be pretty cheap.

kbrake
10-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Pretty sure Tracy clowned Pete in the double header. Maybe it was a meaningful set of games maybe not. Either way Pete looked silly.