PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances Joe Torre comes to Cincinnati?

Benihana
10-07-2007, 10:33 AM
With Steinbrenner now saying that Torre will be out as manager unless the Yankees mount a historic comeback, what are the chances he comes to Cincinnati?

IIRC, he does have some strong ties to the city.

How would you rank him as a choice amongst LaRussa, Girardi, Brenley, Mackanin, et. al

Also, what about skipping LaRussa and just hiring Dave Duncan to manage? Would he be willing?

edabbs44
10-07-2007, 10:36 AM
No thanks. I don't have much belief in him, unless he has an unlimited payroll.

Krusty
10-07-2007, 10:44 AM
If Torre gets fired, expect Giraldi to be named the next manager. And if he is that is fine if you're a Reds fan. All you have to do is look at that Florida starting pitching staff this season and wonder if he is the next Dusty Baker in regards to burning young arms out.

If I'm the Reds, I have to wonder if there is anyone out there better than the job Mackanin did including Tony LaRussa.

traderumor
10-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Joe Torre was having trouble staying awake in Friday's game. I know the Reds would put him to sleep for good.

Unassisted
10-07-2007, 11:00 AM
No thanks. I don't have much belief in him, unles he has an unlimited payroll.

Pre-NYY (http://www.baseball-reference.com/managers/torrejo01.shtml), Joe had 2 second-place finishes and 1 first place finish managing elsewhere, but never more than 89 wins in a season. While I respect his professionalism and calm demeanor, I agree that he's not the guy you want managing a lower-payroll club.

If Girardi is truly the manager-in-waiting for NYY, it will be interesting to see how the well-paid vets in pinstripes respond to a fiery former teammate. I foresee a train-wreck.

RedsManRick
10-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Torre is Narronesque in his management of the bullpen. Find 2 guys you can count on and ride them until their arms fall off. He's just lucky Mariano Rivera has been so resilient. It will be interesting to see who replaces him. Girardi fancies himself the guy, but Mattingly has been in NY and waiting his turn.

Joseph
10-07-2007, 11:23 AM
I agree, Mattingly is the next Yankees skipper, not Girardi.

Reds4Life
10-07-2007, 11:48 AM
If Joe is canned by the Yankees, he will retire. Put me in the Mattingly as the next NYY manager camp as well, George loves him.

fearofpopvol1
10-07-2007, 12:27 PM
I'd love to see Torre come to Cincy and I think it would be possible, but the more important question is, can the Reds afford him?? I doubt it. He's making ridiculous money as the Yanks skipper.

NJReds
10-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Are there any managers besides Davey Johnson that Redzoners would put in the 'good manager' camp? It seems like every name that comes up gets raked across the coals.

Chip R
10-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Are there any managers besides Davey Johnson that Redzoners would put in the 'good manager' camp? It seems like every name that comes up gets raked across the coals.

Sparky Anderson. ;)

NJReds
10-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Sparky Anderson. ;)

If Redszone was around in the 70s, I doubt Sparky would've been Mr. Popular until after the World Series wins.

KronoRed
10-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Haven't we heard this story every post season since 2000? "If the yanks fail they will fire Torre"?

Just hyperbole that one of these years might end up true

RedsBaron
10-07-2007, 01:38 PM
If Redszone was around in the 70s, I doubt Sparky would've been Mr. Popular until after the World Series wins.

Yep. There would have been plenty of "Sparky Who" threads before the 1970 season, countless "Fire Anderson' threads after the 1971 season, numerous "Dump Sparky" threads after the Reds lost game seven of the 1972 World Series, etc.

Jpup
10-07-2007, 02:01 PM
He would be the best candidate IMO.

NJReds
10-08-2007, 06:40 AM
Haven't we heard this story every post season since 2000? "If the yanks fail they will fire Torre"?

Just hyperbole that one of these years might end up true

Except this time there's a direct quote from George. In the past, it was simply media speculation. Plus his contract is up after this season anyway.

KronoRed
10-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Except this time there's a direct quote from George. In the past, it was simply media speculation. Plus his contract is up after this season anyway.

Then I would expect he'll retire or be back, George talks a lot but in the end he's not the mad man he once was.

Wheelhouse
10-08-2007, 02:47 PM
No thanks. I don't have much belief in him, unless he has an unlimited payroll.
The Yankees have always had unlimited payroll and were awful for the 80's and early 90's until Torre came in. Make no mistake, Torre is the best there is.

Roy Tucker
10-08-2007, 02:59 PM
The Yankees have always had unlimited payroll and were awful for the 80's and early 90's until Torre came in. Make no mistake, Torre is the best there is.

Torre is a fine manager, but I'd attribute the upswing more to GM Brian Cashman. I don't think he gets enough credit for the teams he's built.

Team Clark
10-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Torre is a fine manager, but I'd attribute the upswing more to GM Brian Cashman. I don't think he gets enough credit for the teams he's built.

I agree. Behind the scenes Gene Michael and Marc Newman have done nothing but help the Yankees immeasurably. One of the best trios in the game.

One of the best four headed groups in Baseball is in Miami. Larry Beinfest who is now the President of the Marlins followed by new GM Michael Hill and Assistant GM's Dan Jennings and Jim Fleming. All of which just got 5 year extensions. Those type of extensions are nearly unheard of in the land of year to year deals.

Matt700wlw
10-08-2007, 03:13 PM

Built or bought?

:cool:

Roy Tucker
10-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Built or bought?

:cool:

Both. The Yankees unwisely spent a ton of money before and it didn't get them anywhere. It seems like common sense to say that it doesn't take a genius to build a team when there is mountains of money around. But it doesn't seem to always work that way. Having a lot of cash doesn't guarantee a good team.

Unassisted
10-08-2007, 08:33 PM
One of the best four headed groups in Baseball is in Miami. Larry Beinfest who is now the President of the Marlins followed by new GM Michael Hill and Assistant GM's Dan Jennings and Jim Fleming. All of which just got 5 year extensions. Those type of extensions are nearly unheard of in the land of year to year deals.

Not doubting at all your assessment of those executives TC, but I see an extenuating circumstance there. Given the Marlins' attendance situation and lack of a stadium deal, I could imagine that club might feel the need to go the extra mile to hand out those kind of deals and reassure its employees that they're in it for the long haul.

GAC
10-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Pre-NYY (http://www.baseball-reference.com/managers/torrejo01.shtml), Joe had 2 second-place finishes and 1 first place finish managing elsewhere, but never more than 89 wins in a season. While I respect his professionalism and calm demeanor, I agree that he's not the guy you want managing a lower-payroll club.

BINGO! Prior to coming to the Yanks, he has an overall winning percentage of under .500.

Wheelhouse
10-08-2007, 11:17 PM
BINGO! Prior to coming to the Yanks, he has an overall winning percentage of under .500.

Yeah, go back to 1995 and before to find a trend you don't like. That's a quality post.

I don't care what budget you have, taking a team to the the playoffs 12 years in a row, and winning the AL East 9 years in a row is an amazing, amazing achievement, and the Reds would be very lucky to get him. If fired by Steinbrenner, he would immediately become the top manager available.

edabbs44
10-08-2007, 11:21 PM

Cashman stepped into a great situation. Michael and Watson built that team...Cashman has slowly wrecked it.

edabbs44
10-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Yeah, go back to 1995 and before to find a trend you don't like. That's a quality post.

I don't care what budget you have, taking a team to the the playoffs 12 years in a row, and winning the AL East 9 years in a row is an amazing, amazing achievement, and the Reds would be very lucky to get him. If fired by Steinbrenner, he would immediately become the top manager available.

Joe Torre has gotten what he has wanted/needed almost every offseason and trading deadline. I think Torre has done a good job. Don't get me wrong. But he's no miracle worker. Things are different in Cincy.

Joe would walk into Cashman's office and tell him they needed a good RH bat for the middle of the order. They go and get Sheffield/ARod. Here, he would get Conine.

Torre wouldn't last in Cincy.

Wheelhouse
10-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Joe Torre has gotten what he has wanted/needed almost every offseason and trading deadline. I think Torre has done a good job. Don't get me wrong. But he's no miracle worker. Things are different in Cincy.

Joe would walk into Cashman's office and tell him they needed a good RH bat for the middle of the order. They go and get Sheffield/ARod. Here, he would get Conine.

Torre wouldn't last in Cincy.

Torre's best teams had players like O'Neill, Knoblauch, Tino Martinez, Bernie Williams, and Brosius, not world-beaters, but very good, high character players whom Torre got to play perfectly together. As an example, his 114-win 1998 team had NO players with 30 home runs, and two players with batting averages over .300.
He's got to be in any discussion of the best managers in the game and he would give Reds fans a lot to be excited about if hired.

WVRedsFan
10-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Torre's best teams had players like O'Neill, Knoblauch, Tino Martinez, Bernie Williams, and Brosius, not world-beaters, but very good, high character players whom Torre got to play perfectly together. As an example, his 114-win 1998 team had NO players with 30 home runs, and two players with batting averages over .300.
He's got to be in any discussion of the best managers in the game and he would give Reds fans a lot to be excited about if hired.

True. And you cannot adequately describe the traits that make a manager a winner. If you look at Sparky or Larussa or Sweet Lou--any of the very successful major league managers, you can find things you think are wrong, but they win. Torre has to be one of those. It's that instinct of doing the right thing at the right time.

I'm all for a Torre or a Larussa (well, maybe not Larussa) coming to Cincinnati next year. My gut feelin is it will be Pete, but if it is I hope he does well. Well isn't good enough, but I'll take it over bad any day.

Spitball
10-09-2007, 12:05 AM

Uh...where in the world do you expect him to look to find Torre's record when not managing by far the highest payroll in baseball??? He had to go back to pre-1995. His post was indeed a quality and relevant post.

fearofpopvol1
10-09-2007, 12:20 AM
Torre said in his post-game press conference that he's not ready to hang it up yet regardless of what happens with the Yanks. Not verbatim, but more or less.

I would love for him to come to Cincy, but as others have mentioned, I just don't think he's the answer to the Reds problems, particularly when you consider the salary he is likely to command (which should be spent towards pitching or other needs). So, my opinion is...if the Reds can get him for reasonable money, count me in. If not, focus your efforts on more important needs for the team.

Wheelhouse
10-09-2007, 12:23 AM
Uh...where in the world do you expect him to look to find Torre's record when not managing by far the highest payroll in baseball??? He had to go back to pre-1995. His post was indeed a quality and relevant post.

No one should be evaluated on their performance twelve years ago. Managers grow, as well as players. But beyond that, I'm not hearing that in that period Torre inherited a sub-.500 Braves team in 1982, and won the division immediately the following year. I'm not hearing Torre inherited a 79-win Yankee team and won 92, and the World Series, the next. Torre's career before the 12-year run included some impressive triumphs--to say otherwise shows not looking closely at his record, or that you are Hal McCoy.

SteelSD
10-09-2007, 12:29 AM
The Yankees have always had unlimited payroll....

No they haven't. In 1995, the Yankees spent 46.7M on their payroll while the Reds spent 37.2M. In 1994, the gap between the Yankees and the Reds was even less- only five million dollars.

After that, MLB payroll exploded with the Yankees leading the charge every season. In 2007, the Yankees spent over 45 million dollars more than the Red Sox (the second highest payroll team). In 1994, the Yankees' gap versus the second highest spending team (Toronto) was less than three million dollars. Even as recently as 2000 (the last Yankees' WS win) their advantage was minimal versus the second highest payroll team (LA Dodgers).

The Yankees' massive payroll advantage is very recent from an historical standpoint. The fact that Torre hasn't been able to helm a winner after his team gave him a recent geometric payroll advantage is enough for me to not want him anywhere near the Reds.

Kc61
10-09-2007, 12:33 AM
I would love for him to come to Cincy, but as others have mentioned, I just don't think he's the answer to the Reds problems, particularly when you consider the salary he is likely to command (which should be spent towards pitching or other needs). So, my opinion is...if the Reds can get him for reasonable money, count me in. If not, focus your efforts on more important needs for the team.

Obviously you can't pay Torre too many millions or there's no money for the team. But I'd pay him a lot.

Torre would put this team on the map. He would draw free agents. He would insist on personnel improvements. He wouldn't accept the kind of pitching staff the Reds usually run out there. He'd probably bring Paul O'Neill as a bench coach and some first rate coaches with him.

Even when he had second rate teams in the NL, I always admired this guy. He'd be a great ambassador for the team.

I don't always love Torre's strategy, he overuses relievers sometimes, but overall he handles his team superbly. At some point in the season his Yankee team always hit its stride and played great.

If the Reds could get this guy, which is unlikely, they should jump on it and sign him before he changes his mind. He is a true Hall of Fame manager and there is nobody out there I'd rather have as Reds skipper.

guttle11
10-09-2007, 12:36 AM
The Yankees' massive payroll advantage is very recent from an historical standpoint. The fact that Torre hasn't been able to helm a winner after his team gave him a recent geometric payroll advantage is enough for me to not want him anywhere near the Reds.

Is he the person who signed bad pitchers to big money deals? Is he the one that drafted and developed a farm system that was well below par until the very recent past?

I doubt it. Torre is no different than any other manager in baseball, he works with what he's given. You won't find another manager in this generation who's done better.

And saying he hasn't led a winner is grossly misleading. He's made the playoffs every year he's been in New York, and has won the title about 1/3 of the time. That's decent, considering how big a role luck plays in a small sample size like a post-season series.

Wheelhouse
10-09-2007, 12:44 AM
No they haven't. In 1995, the Yankees spent 46.7M on their payroll while the Reds spent 37.2M. In 1994, the gap between the Yankees and the Reds was even less- only five million dollars.

After that, MLB payroll exploded with the Yankees leading the charge every season. In 2007, the Yankees spent over 45 million dollars more than the Red Sox (the second highest payroll team). In 1994, the Yankees' gap versus the second highest spending team (Toronto) was less than three million dollars. Even as recently as 2000 (the last Yankees' WS win) their advantage was minimal versus the second highest payroll team (LA Dodgers).

How about the 82' Braves who won the Division? How about the 5 teams he led to .500+ winning seasons before he went to the Yanks? What are you talking about? Have you looked at his record?

Wheelhouse
10-09-2007, 12:46 AM
Obviously you can't pay Torre too many millions or there's no money for the team. But I'd pay him a lot.

Torre would put this team on the map. He would draw free agents. He would insist on personnel improvements. He wouldn't accept the kind of pitching staff the Reds usually run out there. He'd probably bring Paul O'Neill as a bench coach and some first rate coaches with him.

Even when he had second rate teams in the NL, I always admired this guy. He'd be a great ambassador for the team.

I don't always love Torre's strategy, he overuses relievers sometimes, but overall he handles his team superbly. At some point in the season his Yankee team always hit its stride and played great.

If the Reds could get this guy, which is unlikely, they should jump on it and sign him before he changes his mind. He is a true Hall of Fame manager and there is nobody out there I'd rather have as Reds skipper.

Excellent post.

fearofpopvol1
10-09-2007, 01:04 AM

Thing is, he's the highest paid manager in baseball. There's a chance he'd take a discount because of his wife's ties to the city, but I don't think it'll be THAT great of a discount. I just don't see the Reds being in the running for a manager that I believe makes a double digit amount of money. I think he makes as much as Ted Lilly does this year (or maybe more?). Ted Lilly > Joe Torre.

Jpup
10-09-2007, 04:53 AM
I could see Torre in St. Louis next season. That would stink for Reds fans. Joe Torre, if available, is the best manager out there. No one has the respect of the players, the fans, and the media more than Joe Torre. There would be no question who is in charge with Joe Torre at the helm.

I think he should be brought back to New York. The Yankees could be drastically different in 2008 and where goes Joe Torre could soon see Jorge Posada, Mariano Riviera, and many others follow. I don't see how hiring him would be a bad thing. Torre would bring instant credibility to a Reds franchise that has struggled for many years.

redsrule2500
10-09-2007, 05:04 AM
Is Joe Torre really good? I mean he had 200,000,000+ to work with....

Heath
10-09-2007, 06:57 AM
Is Joe Torre really good? I mean he had 200,000,000+ to work with....

Players still play and OPS'ing .141 last year and somewhere in the low .400's before his solo home run doesn't help to win.

I think Torre's gone. Whether he comes to Cincinnati or not is yet to be seen.

remdog
10-09-2007, 07:09 AM
Put me in the camp that would be thrilled to see Torre manage the Reds next year.

When Joe was the color man on the Angels broadcast team I loved to hear his thoughts and explainations about moves. He was always thinking ahead and had a great way of making it clear why a move was/would be made.

The thought of Torre in St. Louis gives me heartburn.

Rem

RFS62
10-09-2007, 07:16 AM
True. And you cannot adequately describe the traits that make a manager a winner.

Talent on the field is the key trait that makes a manager a winner.

Strikes Out Looking
10-09-2007, 07:58 AM

I guess you are discounting the billion or so threads here about lineup construction! I do not what makes a manager a winner, however, I think Torre would add some class to the Reds organization.

I also don't think he would do it for the money, but to prove that he can win with a mid level market like the Reds.

Falls City Beer
10-09-2007, 08:01 AM
There's been a lot of talk on this board about this person or that person being past their prime, but to me Joe Torre is the epitome of past his prime. I'm not interested at all. And certainly not for what he'd demand in salary.

RFS62
10-09-2007, 08:08 AM
I guess you are discounting the billion or so threads here about lineup construction! I do not what makes a manager a winner, however, I think Torre would add some class to the Reds organization.

I also don't think he would do it for the money, but to prove that he can win with a mid level market like the Reds.

Wow. So Torre would be so much better at lineup construction that he'd spin straw into gold here?

I'd say pitching has been the bane of our existence for the last umpteen years, not lineup construction.

And why on earth would a manager with a hall of fame resume come here for a fraction of the money he's been making and put his legacy in jeopardy?

I imagine the specter of Lou in Tampa Bay might just influence his decision.

It's all about talent. In our case, pitching talent.

Jpup
10-09-2007, 01:31 PM
There's been a lot of talk on this board about this person or that person being past their prime, but to me Joe Torre is the epitome of past his prime. I'm not interested at all. And certainly not for what he'd demand in salary.

if they can't pay the price, they should just quit. sound familiar?

redsmetz
10-10-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm not advocating one way or the other for a Joe Torre, but I came across this story on the Cleveland Plain Dealer's website:

Cleveland Indians manager Eric Wedge appreciates Yankees rival Joe Torre
Wednesday, October 10, 2007
Paul Hoynes
Plain Dealer Reporter

The phone rang in manager Eric Wedge's office at Yankee Stadium on Monday night. He wasn't there, so someone else answered.

Wedge was in the adjoining locker room, celebrating with his players and coaches. The Indians had just won the AL Division Series in four games over the Yankees. Next stop was the AL Championship Series against Boston in Fenway Park.

During the celebration, someone told Wedge that Yankee manager Joe Torre called. Wedge was touched.

Torre, who has led the Yankees to 12 straight postseason appearances and four World Series championships, had probably managed his last game in pinstripes. Owner George Steinbrenner, before Game 3 Sunday, told the Bergen (N.J.) Record Torre probably wouldn't be back unless the Yankees, trailing, 2-0, in the best-of-five series, won three straight to advance to the ALCS.

"Just to have him even take the time to call me, with everything that's going on with him right now, meant the world to me," said Wedge. "I know him as one of the great managers in the game. What he has accomplished is historic. For him to throw one thought my way is very special."

Said Torre after the game, "I want to congratulate Eric Wedge and the way he turned that ballclub around. They were tough. You make a mistake, and they beat your brains out. That's what happened to us."

Wedge says Torre should be allowed to manage as long as he wants.

"He's that good and he's accomplished that much," said Wedge.

Strikes Out Looking
10-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Wow. So Torre would be so much better at lineup construction that he'd spin straw into gold here?

I'd say pitching has been the bane of our existence for the last umpteen years, not lineup construction.

And why on earth would a manager with a hall of fame resume come here for a fraction of the money he's been making and put his legacy in jeopardy?

I imagine the specter of Lou in Tampa Bay might just influence his decision.

It's all about talent. In our case, pitching talent.

I didn't say that Torre would be so great at lineup construction that he'd put the Reds over the top. My comments meant that lineup construction has been an ongoing thread here no matter who was the manager and no matter what talent was on the field.

As to pitching, I agree it has been most of the problem. I don't think the Reds are the equivalent of Tampa Bay in 2005--the Reds have crap in their division unlike TB playing Boston and NY 40 times a year.

I don't know what Torre will end up doing. I do know that I think he'd be a better manager than some of the other names out their such as Dusty Baker.

In my dreams, Krivsky pulls a "Sparky" out of a hat somewhere.

RedsManRick
10-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Baker, Girardi, Brenly... yuck!

Chip R
10-10-2007, 08:41 PM
You have to give Torre a lot of credit for managing that team to the wild card after their horrible start.

That said, I wonder if the Yankee players are getting a little too comfortable with Torre. He's been there for quite a few years and he's been the only manager some of these guys have ever had. With Steinbrenner not around as much perhaps there isn't as much of a sense of urgency to win it all as there used to be.

Spitball
10-10-2007, 11:42 PM

I agree. I remember being totally underwhelmed when the Reds signed an unknown coach from the Padres named Sparky to replace Dave Bristol. Whatever happened to that guy?

Cedric
10-10-2007, 11:48 PM
I've heard Billy Beane defended with passion about his postseason record because five game series are just "luck".

With Torre it's the other way for some people here. Seems hypocritical.

RANDY IN INDY
10-11-2007, 01:25 AM
Good point.

WVRedsFan
10-11-2007, 01:34 AM
At this point, i think Pete Macklanin is a lock, and I'm not really upset with that. I'm anxious to see what he can do with (hopefully) a revised roster to work with. I will say that Joe Torre is one of those guys who has proven he's a winner regardless of who is playing for him. That's worth millions of dollars in MLB. I don't see any way he will come to the Reds, but if he did, I'd be smiling.

It's not going to happen IMHO because Pete has the respect of Krivsky and Castellini, but there is no reason to trash Joe. He is what he is. One of the most successful managers in MLB history.

Wheelhouse
10-11-2007, 12:18 PM
I've heard Billy Beane defended with passion about his postseason record because five game series are just "luck".

With Torre it's the other way for some people here. Seems hypocritical.

Difference: Billy Beane is a SABR guy. You'll see that a lot around here.

M2
10-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Torre's one of the best managers around. He's provided an even hand that's kept that franchise from folding multiple times over the past eight seasons. For anyone with a New School bent, Torre gets lineup construction, he uses his bullpen exceedingly well and he doesn't abuse pitchers.

For anyone with an Old School bent, his players execute the fundamentals, understand situational hitting and are aggressive on the bases.

Look at all the managers the Yankees handed a massive payroll to in the 18 seasons prior to Torre's arrival. How'd they do?

Anyway, there's no reason to think he'd ever come to the Reds, so I file it under potentially cool things that will never happen. Torre's had his dream job, he's been to the top of the mountain, he lives in New York and I imagine that if Steinbrenner cans him, he'll call it a career.

KronoRed
10-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Baker, Girardi, Brenly... yuck!

The axis of yuckness ;)

BRM
10-11-2007, 01:27 PM
The axis of yuckness ;)

No kidding. Pass on all three.

Falls City Beer
10-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Torre I'm sure is a fine manager. But the guy looks and sounds like toast.

And I agree with Redsmanrick--he's pretty brutal with his pen. I really don't want the Reds throwing a huge chunk of money at a guy like Torre when there are probably twenty men capable of doing the same job for a 1/4 of what Torre makes.

I'm not a fan of cutting corners or pennypinching, but when it comes to managers, I'm fine with it. Mackanin would get the same thing out of the Reds next season that Torre would, and for pennies on the dollar.

NJReds
10-11-2007, 03:58 PM
I'm not a fan of cutting corners or pennypinching, but when it comes to managers, I'm fine with it. Mackanin would get the same thing out of the Reds next season that Torre would, and for pennies on the dollar.

Agreed. I think you'll see Torre end up in St. Louis or Los Angeles (NL) if he and the Yankees actually part ways.