PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the Heisman

WVRed
10-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Title says it all, who is your pick for Heisman. If you have somebody on the list, post it and list why.

WMR
10-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Andre' Woodson. ;)

I wonder if that QB from Oregon could be a darkhorse candidate? That kid is money and he is in the perfect offense to showcase his abilities.

Screwball
10-07-2007, 12:57 PM
What about Brian Brohm?

OnBaseMachine
10-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Has anything checked out the stats of Texas Tech freshman WR Michael Crabtree?!? The guy has 70 catches for 1074 yards and 17 TD catches in six games. Amazing. He's on pace for 140 catches, 2148 yards receiving and 34 TD catches, and that doesn't include a possible conference championship game and bowl game. Dude is a freshman.

camisadelgolf
10-07-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm going with Ben Mauk.

NorrisHopper30
10-07-2007, 01:48 PM
McFadden

Degenerate39
10-07-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm pulling for Pat White to win it

Highlifeman21
10-07-2007, 03:21 PM
What about Brian Brohm?

He's putting up great stats, but that wonderful Cardinal D will prevent him from winning the Heisman.

The logic doesn't make sense to me, but when someone like Jason White wins the Heisman, that doesn't make much sense to me either.

LoganBuck
10-07-2007, 03:31 PM
If Michigan keeps winning Mike Hart will have the prerequisite resume as well.

guttle11
10-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Default.

WVRed
10-07-2007, 04:33 PM
He's putting up great stats, but that wonderful Cardinal D will prevent him from winning the Heisman.

The logic doesn't make sense to me, but when someone like Jason White wins the Heisman, that doesn't make much sense to me either.

Brian Brohm=Tim Couch.

Both great heralded Kentucky QB's, but in their final year couldn't help their teams get to the grand stage. If I remember correctly, Couch finished like second or third in the Heisman race to Charles Woodson.

OnBaseMachine
10-13-2007, 08:52 PM
I think my Heisman at this point would be Dennis Dixon, the QB from Oregon. He's completing just over 70% of his passes, to go along with 1500+ passing yards, a 15 TD/2 INT ratio, and six rushing TD's in leading Oregon to a 5-1 record.

BuckeyeRedleg
10-14-2007, 12:06 AM
After tonight, my vote is for Woodson.

Gainesville Red
10-14-2007, 11:27 AM
Guess who I voted for.

Beautiful day in Gainesville.

WMR
10-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Guess who I voted for.

Beautiful day in Gainesville.

Enjoy it.

You've got six days left. ;)

jmac
10-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Enjoy it.

You've got six days left. ;)
I love the confidence but lets not get too overconfident !;)

MasonBuzz3
10-14-2007, 10:54 PM
Mike Hart, hopefully the injury isnt too bad. No one player means more to his team and the numbers are there.

AccordinglyReds
10-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Brian Brohm=Tim Couch.

Both great heralded Kentucky QB's, but in their final year couldn't help their teams get to the grand stage. If I remember correctly, Couch finished like second or third in the Heisman race to Charles Woodson.

Yeah, I have to disagree with your reasoning. Brian Brohm has done more than his share to help Louisville win and win big. Unless you think he should play defense, it's out of his hands. So, yes, Brohm has done PLENTY to help his team.

As a QB, Brian Brohm > Andre' Woodson. :)

jmac
10-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I have to disagree with your reasoning. Brian Brohm has done more than his share to help Louisville win and win big. Unless you think he should play defense, it's out of his hands. So, yes, Brohm has done PLENTY to help his team.

As a QB, Brian Brohm > Andre' Woodson. :)

Woodson's game management as well as leadership has impressed me greatly this season. The one problem I have seen however is he has been underthrowing alot of passes. Of course many of the ones he underthrows, Johnson or Burton come back and get so maybe they have a thing worked out between them:D
Anyway, here is how a couple of people(or scouts) view things.

1. Andre' Woodson, Kentucky, 6-5, 224 pounds, 4.78 (40-yard dash)

Entering the 2006 season, Woodson was fighting for a starting job. After leading the SEC in passing yards per game (270.4) and passing touchdowns (31), Woodson is now not only a front-runner for the Heisman, but among the handful of senior prospects competing to be the first overall pick in the NFL Draft.

Woodson has the size and arm scouts are looking for, and his ability to read defenses and accurately attack all levels of the field has drawn comparisons from South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier to Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer.

Brian Brohm (AP)
2. Brian Brohm, Louisville, 6-3, 227, 4.79

Considered one of the elite QB talents since earning Conference USA Freshman of the Year accolades in 2004. Has mind-boggling production in this system, throwing for 41 touchdowns against only 12 interceptions as an underclassman.

Scouts understandably love his production and acknowledge his accuracy, understanding of defenses and leadership. However, some question whether his ability is inflated by the Louisville offense.

Also according to NFLDraftscouts.com

1: Andre' Woodson
2: Matt Ryan
3: Brian Brohm

Mel Kiper has:
1: Matt Ryan
2: Brian Brohm
3: Andre' Woodson

Now I am not a Uof L fan by no means but if I had the #1 pick and selecting a QB, I dont know who I would take "right now".
Brohm is listed at 6-3 but he seems alot shorter when watching him on field.
Ryan, I would like to see what he does the rest of the year.
Woodson is leading and managing well although I still dont think he is "throwing" the ball as well as last year.

All these are only people's opinions as yours also but that is what makes debating fun.

WMR
10-18-2007, 03:31 PM
I love Woodson, but comparing him to Palmer seems like a reach to me.

WMR
10-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Okay so who's the front-runner now? The Dixon kid from Oregon? Ryan from BC?

Those two seem like they'd be the front-runners at this point...

MWM
10-27-2007, 09:12 PM
I don't think there's any doubt that it's Dennis Dixon. He's a fantstic player.

Personally, I don't think Tebow should even be in the conversation. He's a good player and all, but he's much had a lot of hype to help him out. He's a year away from serious Heisman contention, IMO.

WMR
10-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Andre' Woodson. ;)

I wonder if that QB from Oregon could be a darkhorse candidate? That kid is money and he is in the perfect offense to showcase his abilities.

Not that I like to toot my own horn or anything. :evil: :laugh: ;)

jmac
10-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Not that I like to toot my own horn or anything. :evil: :laugh: ;)

Okay I will do it for ya, Toot Toot !!

WMR
10-27-2007, 11:38 PM
Okay I will do it for ya, Toot Toot !!

:lol:

Danny Serafini
10-28-2007, 02:03 AM
At this point I'd have to guess Dixon. Stick the fork in Tebow, he's done after today. None of the other contenders did a whole lot this week, so Dixon moves to the head of the class, if he wasn't already there.

OnBaseMachine
11-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Dixon has helped his Heisman chances tonight by throwing for 189 yards, 4 touchdowns and also rushing for 57 yards in leading his team to a 35-16 lead over undefeated ASU team late in the 4th quarter.

traderumor
11-04-2007, 07:04 AM
I do not think the award should be given this year. The season is so devoid of superstars, the media cannot even find someone to hype. Just one of those years, but there really is no Wow factor players this year. That a QB from Kentucky is even in the conversation is evidence enough :p:

NorrisHopper30
11-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Darren McFadden 323 rushing yards against a stingy USC defense?

Hand the trophy over now..

OnBaseMachine
11-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Arkansas has lost three games and will most likely lose one more, maybe two more. I don't think the Heisman trophy should go to a player on a team that loses four+ games.

Dixon threw for 4 TD's and against a very stingy Arizona State defense.

MWM
11-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Arkansas has lost three games and will most likely lose one more, maybe two more. I don't think the Heisman trophy should go to a player on a team that loses four+ games.

Dixon threw for 4 TD's and against a very stingy Arizona State defense.

I REALLY hate this idea. I mean, it's one of my biggest pet peeves in sports. The Heisman has never, nor should it ever be, and MVP trophy. It's one of the things that makes it different. The Heisman trophy has alwasy gone to the most outstanding player in college football. Team has nothing to do with it. In porofessional sports, I totally get why the MVP should go to a guy who's team is in the hunt. But not the Heisman. It was never intended to be an MVP trophy. I really think it loses much of its luster if it turns into a team award. College football is so different in that there are so many teams and kids go to schools for a number of different reasons, that some times the best players wind up on not so good teams. If you restrict the Heisman to players only on good teams, you're ruling out most of the college football players out there.

So please, let the Heisman be about outstanding football, and not just about playing on a good team. Darren McFadden definitely deserves to be in the conversation. He's a phenomenal talent and changes the nature of every game he plays in. So he can't overcome playing on a team with a bad defense. So what. That's not his fault. Does that make him not deserving of an award that's supposed to be about just being an outstanding player? NO way, IMO.

I still think Dixon is the winner, but it's really distrubing to me that the Heisman is well on it's way to becoming a team award. I really think college football loses something if this happens.

RBA
11-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Dixon.

OnBaseMachine
11-04-2007, 12:23 PM
I definitely think McFadden is one fo the top two or three players in the country, however, I just think Dixon deserves it more. Oregon would not be where they are right now without him. Arkansas, OTOH, would probably have the same record without DM with Felix Jones in the wings.