PDA

View Full Version : Wang going for Yankees: What would make sinkerballers better on short rest?

HumnHilghtFreel
10-08-2007, 02:33 AM
With Wang scheduled to be starting on short rest for the Yankees, the old legend of sinkerballers being better on short rest/when they're tired is circulating again.

I was wondering what exactly, mechanically, physically it is that would make this true?

Chip R
10-08-2007, 11:18 AM
With Wang scheduled to be starting on short rest for the Yankees, the old legend of sinkerballers being better on short rest/when they're tired is circulating again.

I was wondering what exactly, mechanically, physically it is that would make this true?

Probably because obstensibly they wouldn't be as strong as if they were going on 4 days rest. Because they wouldn't be as strong, they wouldn't throw as hard as usual and therefore the ball would sink better.

Joseph
10-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Thats the theory, a tired arm is a better arm because it drags.

NJReds
10-08-2007, 11:43 AM
This has more to do with the Yankees' acute case of Mussinaphobia. The fear of being down 6-0 in the first inning.

RedsManRick
10-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Slower speed = more break. However, the caveat is that tiredness usually leads to worse control. A slow sinker thrown waist high is probably one of the most crushable pitches there is -- right there with a hanging slider. They don't have to deal with overthrowing leading to it flattening out, but they do have to worry about hanging a few extra pitches.

fearofpopvol1
10-08-2007, 12:47 PM
I would've went with Moose in game 4, but that's just me.

Roy Tucker
10-08-2007, 12:48 PM
I don't know about the sinkerball stuff, but Joe Torre referred to him as "the Wanger" in last night's press conference.

Which just seemed.... wrong.

Falls City Beer
10-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Torre wants the Wanger to really air it out tonight. He needs Wang to squeeze out every last ounce.

Yachtzee
10-08-2007, 02:42 PM
I don't know about the sinkerball stuff, but Joe Torre referred to him as "the Wanger" in last night's press conference.

Which just seemed.... wrong.

Makes me think of "the Donger" from "Sixteen Candles." Wouldn't that be great if, as he makes his way out to the mound between innings, they played the clip that starts, "Oh sexy GIRLFRIEND!..."

pedro
10-08-2007, 03:05 PM
so tonight we'll find out if a Byrd "in hand" is better than a Wang.

Matt700wlw
10-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Hopefully Cleveland ends it tonight, because if the Yankees pull it off, it may be enough momentum for them to finish off the comeback....

Yet another Yankees vs Red Sox matchup....that'd be boring, tired, over-done, and bad for baseball

Go Indians.

Falls City Beer
10-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Torre's pinning his career hopes on his Wang.

Sea Ray
10-08-2007, 03:28 PM
If Yanks win when is game 5? Is it in Cleveland?

This series is showing how extremely thin the Yankees pitching is and how a good offense really doesn't get you much in the post season.

vaticanplum
10-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Hopefully Cleveland ends it tonight, because if the Yankees pull it off, it may be enough momentum for them to finish off the comeback....

Yet another Yankees vs Red Sox matchup....that'd be boring, tired, over-done, and bad for baseball

Go Indians.

You might think it's tired and overdone, and I agree that the media is insane, but it's not bad for baseball if it's good baseball. which Red Sox/Yankees invariably is, and which is a huge reason for why they meet up so often in the playoffs in the first place.

I'll tell you what's bad for baseball is all these freaking sweeps. Had the Yankees been swept, we would have had almost a full week's break between playoff rounds. Talk about boring.

RichRed
10-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Torre's pinning his career hopes on his Wang.

His tired Wang, at that.

Bill
10-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Wedge is loyal and is sticking with Byrd over CC on 3 days rest. CC on 3 days after throwing 119 or so pitches is probably not ideal, but Byrd is a control pitcher whom gives up a lot of HRs. Not a good match wiht the Yanks lineup and their stadium. Going with CC also would allow Carmona to ptich on normal rest Wednesday. Hoping Byrd can give a good 5 innings, but Wedge must have him on a short leash.

Wang had little control in Cleveland. 3 days will not help though he does pitch much better at home.

BoydsOfSummer
10-08-2007, 08:18 PM
Wang whacked in 2nd.

NJReds
10-09-2007, 09:14 AM
I heard on the radio this a.m. that the NY Daily News (Bill Madden) has a report today that Torre wanted Mussina to start but was overruled by the "Boss."

Sea Ray
10-09-2007, 09:28 AM
Was "The Boss" at any of these playoff games? I'm wondering when he came out of hiding. Last I heard he was hanging out at home in Tampa spending the entire day in his bathrobe and that he wasn't all there mentally. Has he been seen or is this a case of the man behind the curtain?

NJReds
10-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Was "The Boss" at any of these playoff games? I'm wondering when he came out of hiding. Last I heard he was hanging out at home in Tampa spending the entire day in his bathrobe and that he wasn't all there mentally. Has he been seen or is this a case of the man behind the curtain?

He was there yesterday. He's been in NY throughout the series. I don't know if he went to both games, though.

PuffyPig
10-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Historically, since there have been division playoffs, pitchers starting on 3 days rest have done very poorly.

And those that have succeeded are usually used to doing it on occasion.

Asking a pitcher to pitch on 3 days rest for the first (or near first) time is usually rewarded with a bad outing.

KronoRed
10-09-2007, 01:15 PM
I heard on the radio this a.m. that the NY Daily News (Bill Madden) has a report today that Torre wanted Mussina to start but was overruled by the "Boss."

He should quit right now if big boss man is deciding who pitches

Chip R
10-09-2007, 01:47 PM
He should quit right now if big boss man is deciding who pitches

Exactly. Although that might be something leaked by Torre to make himself look blameless.

Sea Ray
10-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Asking a pitcher to pitch on 3 days rest for the first (or near first) time is usually rewarded with a bad outing.

In this case the Yanks were really in a tough spot. Outside of Moose who was bad ala Eric Milton this year, there was no one other than Wang to go to. This Yankee team reminds me of the powerful Mariner teams in the mid 90s who had Jr, Buhner, Edgar and a bunch of offense but only the Big Unit on the mound. Pinella used him on 3 days rest, in relief, whatever.

PuffyPig
10-09-2007, 11:31 PM
In this case the Yanks were really in a tough spot. Outside of Moose who was bad ala Eric Milton this year, there was no one other than Wang to go to. This Yankee team reminds me of the powerful Mariner teams in the mid 90s who had Jr, Buhner, Edgar and a bunch of offense but only the Big Unit on the mound. Pinella used him on 3 days rest, in relief, whatever.

Yes, but starting most pitchers on three days rest almost guarantees a bad outing.

Johnson was a stud and sometimes went on three days rest.

Wang is no stud.

blumj
10-10-2007, 12:09 AM
BTW, the Red Sox are reportedly considering starting Beckett on 3 days rest in game 4 of the ALCS if Wakefield is still unavailable. He's pitched on 3 days rest before pretty successfully, but it's been a while.