PDA

View Full Version : 10 offseason moves the Reds should make

Will M
10-08-2007, 01:51 PM
The Reds need a manager, a #3 starter, another reliable arm in the pen & better catching.
Here are 10 offseason moves the Reds should make:

1. Hire a real major league manager. Someone who can make all the basic moves ( ie no pinch hitting Castro! ), not abuse our pitchers & keep control in the clubhouse.

2. Pick up Dunn's option and sign him to a long term contract.

3. Pick up Hatteberg's option ( cheap ). At worst he is a good pinch hitter. He would also have trade value.

4. Decline the options on:

Guardado. I like Eddie but not for $3.5M

Valentin. Look at his numbers. Declining OPS/power. And not very good defensively. The Reds will obviously be in the market for a cather but they do have some spare parts to deal.

5. Release Saarloos, Ellison, & Castro.

6. Trade Majik & Coffey if there are any takers. If not we are stuck with Coffey ( signed for 2008 ). I think these guys need a change of scenery and are never going to be successful on the Reds.

7. Trade Griffey. As I have stated before I think Griifey is the outfielder who goes keeping Bruce ( young, good and cheap ) ,
Hamilton ( young, good and cheap ) and Dunn ( in his prime ).
I know this isn't easy but I think the Reds should approach Griffey and get a list of team he would go to then take the best offer.
It would be short list but I can't imagine he wouldn't want to play for a team who contends on a regular basis.

8. Make a serious run at Curt Schilling. Money talks and the Reds will have to pay ~$3-5M more than others but Schilling on a one year deal is exactly what the Reds need.
Big name. Excitement. Make Bailey & Belisle the 4/5 starters not the 3/4 starters. Gives Cueto a year in AAA.

9. Go global! There are several Japanese pitchers who are free agents that could help the Reds. Again, the Reds would have to pay more than a west coast team to get their services.

Other than Schilling and the Japanese pitchers the free agent pitching market is terribly weak.

10. If Freel is healthy in spring training trade him if there are takers. Hopper, Cantu & Keppinger have made Freel unnecssary.

Thoughts?

jimbo
10-08-2007, 02:01 PM
I think most of your suggestions are valid. I just don't like saying we should trade this guy or that guy. I am more of the belief that everybody is basically on the trading block. If someone approaches you with a trade proposal that improves your team, you take it regardless of who it is.

I do disagree with you on Guardado though. He was basically lights out the last 7 or so innings he pitched and looked to be back in form. I don't think $3.5 million is all that much for a veteran with his kind of leadership and looking that effective. Yes, he's an injury risk but it's worth it IMO. Good set-up men are of high demand right now so it's not going to be easy to fill those roles.

I'm also not ready to give up on Coffey and I don't think there's any chance in he!! that Schilling would come to Cincinnati.

roby
10-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Will M I like your ideas. I wonder about Cueto. I keep hearing that a lot of the Reds talent evaluators say that he's ready. It might be a good idea to put him in the bullpen this year...ala Jose Rijo (a few years back). He would definitely upgrade the BP, and it would be a good way to break him in to the majors. I also like the idea of going younger in the outfield. I would just give Freel away, though. He makes the bench all that much better (especially if he stays rested).

AmarilloRed
10-08-2007, 02:24 PM
I think Castro has a 2 year deal. I think the Reds would have to eat the second year of his contract. I think Valentin's option is only 1.5 million , and he is an offensive upgrade over Ross. I don't see him as a long-term starting catcher, but he will do for next year. 3.5 million is a lot for a pitcher of Eddie's age who has not been dominating. I would have paid it for the old Eddie, but i doubt the Reds will pick up this option.

GoReds33
10-08-2007, 03:16 PM
I would keep Valentin. At 1.5 million he's a very inexpensive bat. I do agree that we need to look at pitchers in Japan. Belisle won't cut it in my book. He just doesn't seem like he knows what to do when the going gets tough. If they don't get a Japanese pitcher, then I would give Cueto a very serious shot to make the team next year.

Will M
10-08-2007, 03:42 PM
I think most of your suggestions are valid. I just don't like saying we should trade this guy or that guy. I am more of the belief that everybody is basically on the trading block. If someone approaches you with a trade proposal that improves your team, you take it regardless of who it is.

I do disagree with you on Guardado though. He was basically lights out the last 7 or so innings he pitched and looked to be back in form. I don't think $3.5 million is all that much for a veteran with his kind of leadership and looking that effective. Yes, he's an injury risk but it's worth it IMO. Good set-up men are of high demand right now so it's not going to be easy to fill those roles.

I'm also not ready to give up on Coffey and I don't think there's any chance in he!! that Schilling would come to Cincinnati.

My problem with guardado is his age.
I would rather see a pen of Weathers, Burton, Salmon, Bray, Cout, plus one solid under age 30 arm.
The Reds should be looking at 2009 and beyond.
No more playing OK vets while youngsters play in AAA.
Time to see if some of the young arms are for real.
Plus - in 2007 we paid a lot of money to crappy vets when we could have used those roster spots with younger guys and used the combined savings to get one real impact player.
Just my opinion.

Will M
10-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Will M I like your ideas. I wonder about Cueto. I keep hearing that a lot of the Reds talent evaluators say that he's ready. It might be a good idea to put him in the bullpen this year...ala Jose Rijo (a few years back). He would definitely upgrade the BP, and it would be a good way to break him in to the majors. I also like the idea of going younger in the outfield. I would just give Freel away, though. He makes the bench all that much better (especially if he stays rested).

Depends on the return we could get for a healthy Freel.
Kepp, Hopper, Cantu etc make Freel tradable for the right return.

Will M
10-08-2007, 03:46 PM
I would keep Valentin. At 1.5 million he's a very inexpensive bat. I do agree that we need to look at pitchers in Japan. Belisle won't cut it in my book. He just doesn't seem like he knows what to do when the going gets tough. If they don't get a Japanese pitcher, then I would give Cueto a very serious shot to make the team next year.

I am willing to give Belisle another shot. 2008 is make or break for him though. His stuff is better than a lot of pitchers whose ERAs are lower than his. Time to learn how to pitch.
Plus I believe his ERA was high in 2007 due to some element of bad luck ( see some of the posts on ORG ).
His 'true' ERA was something like 4.50

GoReds33
10-08-2007, 04:36 PM
I am willing to give Belisle another shot. 2008 is make or break for him though. His stuff is better than a lot of pitchers whose ERAs are lower than his. Time to learn how to pitch.
Plus I believe his ERA was high in 2007 due to some element of bad luck ( see some of the posts on ORG ).
His 'true' ERA was something like 4.50I would personally put him in AAA, and let him fight his way back up here again. Maybe this time he'll learn a little bit more about pitching. I think his arm got him to this point. Now his head has to get him to be a good MLB pitcher.:)

kbrake
10-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Belisle has been frustrating to me for a long time. Always think he is going to put it together but it is always the same. I also would give him another shot in 08.

DannyB
10-08-2007, 06:20 PM
1. And one that can get Dunn ahead of Jr in the batting order.
2. & 3. Agree
4. Agree about Eddie but I would keep Valentin as backup for the new catcher.
5. Add Stanton to that list.
6. I would keep Coffey and hope he gets his head right. I kind of blame Ross for Coffeys bad year.
7. Griffey stays.Bruce waits.
8. I really like Schilling.
9. We dont need Japanese players.
10. Picking up Hattebergs option makes Cantu good trade bait along with Freel.

AdamDunn
10-08-2007, 06:37 PM
I agree to getting Schilling and Japanese players. We can tap that market by signing someone. Schilling can help Bailey in teaching him how to throw strikes. I also agree with Valentin being gone... sucks defensively.

gedred69
10-08-2007, 06:49 PM

Will M and roby, I agree and disagree. If control of the club house is as I agree important, Pete scores well. roby, I like your idea for Cueto, if he can adapt, and while young and hungry this might be a good plan. Freel I see as a major bargaining chip in a package deal, yes, because of Hopper and Keppinger. Minnesota is stretched to their limit $$ wise, and dare I say, Nathan might be obtainable, or maybe their closer in the making, Neshek. Otherwise, roll the dice on fast Eddie. He wouldn't be un-employed for long if the Reds don't keep him. Coffey might be better off somewhere else, or he may just be too dumb to pan out. Reds have so much OF talent in the making, but I agree Dunn needs to stay at least another year, or part of one. If Bruce is all that he seems, there is Dorn looking real bona fide, and Stubbs appears to be "getting it". Don't forget Hamilton--as much as I love watching him play--is fragile. 3 DL stints, and injuries early in his career led to boredom and his downward spiral. But, then again Larry Walker was fragile and look at the career stats he ended up with. Someone else said it, "Like a fine Italian sports car, when perfectly tuned nothing can compare, but maintainance is high".

Degenerate39
10-08-2007, 06:53 PM
1. And one that can get Dunn ahead of Jr in the batting order.
2. & 3. Agree
4. Agree about Eddie but I would keep Valentin as backup for the new catcher.
5. Add Stanton to that list.
6. I would keep Coffey and hope he gets his head right. I kind of blame Ross for Coffeys bad year.
7. Griffey stays.Bruce waits.
8. I really like Schilling.
9. We dont need Japanese players.
10. Picking up Hattebergs option makes Cantu good trade bait along with Freel.

Why would you rather have Hatteberg for a year than Cantu for a few years?

GoReds33
10-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Why would you rather have Hatteberg for a year than Cantu for a few years?I would much rather have Cantu as well.

Also, I would love to have Curt Schilling. Schilling is a good presence on the team, because what he says will bring the team exposeure, and will help keep the youngsters in line. I severly doubt he would want to come here though, which might mean a higher price tag.:)

jnwohio
10-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Disagree on turning loose Valentin. He is a good LH PH; and the option is cheap. If they don't want him, he will bring something back from an AL team looking for a DH.

The Reds definitely need to upgrade their catching. To me Ross's defense does not come close to over riding his pathetic offense. I thought Javy's defense improved enough when he was playing everyday to make him (barely) passable considering his offense. Ross was just as bad or worse as Valentin on defense in the last month.

Will M
10-08-2007, 08:16 PM
I would much rather have Cantu as well.

Also, I would love to have Curt Schilling. Schilling is a good presence on the team, because what he says will bring the team exposeure, and will help keep the youngsters in line. I severly doubt he would want to come here though, which might mean a higher price tag.:)

The Reds could sell him on being a mentor to Bailey & Belisle ( and others ). Arroyo and Gonzalez are ex teammates and the Reds could ask them to help woo him. I suspect that while the media doesn't respect Harang other players do and the Reds could use him to woo Schilling also. Oh yeh, there will also be the fact that the Reds will bid $5M more than the next highest team if they really want him.

Where would the Reds get the cash? Lohse and Milton are off the books. Plus a trade of Jr would free up more cash.

GoReds33
10-08-2007, 08:19 PM
The Reds could sell him on being a mentor to Bailey & Belisle ( and others ). Arroyo and Gonzalez are ex teammates and the Reds could ask them to help woo him. I suspect that while the media doesn't respect Harang other players do and the Reds could use him to woo Schilling also. Oh yeh, there will also be the fact that the Reds will bid $5M more than the next highest team if they really want him.

Where would the Reds get the cash? Lohse and Milton are off the books. Plus a trade of Jr would free up more cash.I don't know if I would want to make an offer five million more than he's worth to get him though. I understand we should have the money. I don't know if it would be more logical to try and get Carlos Silva, and with the extra money get a Gagne, or some good reliever. We will not be in the World Series next year. Why not make the investment for the future?:)

Will M
10-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Disagree on turning loose Valentin. He is a good LH PH; and the option is cheap. If they don't want him, he will bring something back from an AL team looking for a DH.

The Reds definitely need to upgrade their catching. To me Ross's defense does not come close to over riding his pathetic offense. I thought Javy's defense improved enough when he was playing everyday to make him (barely) passable considering his offense. Ross was just as bad or worse as Valentin on defense in the last month.

Valentin's numbers ( 2005-2006-2007 )

HR 14 - 8 - 2
OPS .883 - .754 - .715

He is 32 years old and declining offensively.
Two home runs from a guy whose asset is has bat?
IMO its time to let him go.

redsfanmia
10-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Honestly why would Curt Schilling come here?

Will M
10-08-2007, 08:27 PM
I don't know if I would want to make an offer five million more than he's worth to get him though. I understand we should have the money. I don't know if it would be more logical to try and get Carlos Silva, and with the extra money get a Gagne, or some good reliever. We will not be in the World Series next year. Why not make the investment for the future?:)

Silva - IMO would be a disaster in GABP with the Reds defense.

The beauty of Schilling is that it would only take a one year deal.
Then the 2009 rotation could be Harang-Arroyo-Bailey-Belisle-Cueto. We don't need to make a 3-5 year committment to a #3 starter this offseason.

The other non Japanese free agent starters are a weak weak lot.
That is why I would like to see a push for Schilling.

Will M
10-08-2007, 08:29 PM

I am not saying he would but I darn sure want the Reds to try to get him. It would tell me Bob Castellini is serious about winning.

Degenerate39
10-08-2007, 08:33 PM

He said he wants to come to a place with young talent.

jnwohio
10-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Valentin's numbers ( 2005-2006-2007 )

HR 14 - 8 - 2
OPS .883 - .754 - .715

He is 32 years old and declining offensively.
Two home runs from a guy whose asset is has bat?
IMO its time to let him go.

I noticed Valentin's power decline also; but he still got a lot of big hits, some off the bench and some as an everyday player.

He was clearly out of condition this year. He needs to be in shape for next year. On a cruise back in early May, we were assigned a dinner table with a gentleman from Puerto Rico who was a big baseball fan. Said he knew Javy personally and had been all over his case in during the winter because he was letting his weight go; and that it would hurt him both at the plate and behind it this year. I think he turned out to be right.

As far as the Reds are concerned, they need a different catcher from either of the 2 primary guys this year. However, if I had to go with one of the two as my primary catcher it would be Valentin.

GoReds33
10-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Silva - IMO would be a disaster in GABP with the Reds defense.

The beauty of Schilling is that it would only take a one year deal.
Then the 2009 rotation could be Harang-Arroyo-Bailey-Belisle-Cueto. We don't need to make a 3-5 year committment to a #3 starter this offseason.

The other non Japanese free agent starters are a weak weak lot.
That is why I would like to see a push for Schilling.
Silva does play in the homer dome in Minnesota. He has some experience with a hitter friendly ballpark.:)

redsfanmia
10-08-2007, 08:49 PM
I am not saying he would but I darn sure want the Reds to try to get him. It would tell me Bob Castellini is serious about winning.

I think that he is not really interested in winning. This off-season will tell the truth and I am pretty sure we are not going to like what we see.

Stephenk29
10-15-2007, 09:51 PM
I know this thread is about a week old but I thought this list would help some argument. This is a list of some of the free agent pitchers this year. Got it straight from a site so kudos to mlbtraderumors.com. Ages are in parenthesis.

Starting pitchers

Matt Clement (33)
Bartolo Colon (35)
Josh Fogg (31)
Casey Fossum (30)
Freddy Garcia (32)
Jason Jennings (29)
Joe Kennedy (29)
Curt Schilling (41)
Carlos Silva (29)
John Thomson (34)

Closers
Francisco Cordero (33)
Octavio Dotel (32) - $5.5MM mutual option for '08
Eric Gagne (32)
Bob Wickman (39)

Middle relievers
Jeremy Affeldt (29)
Jorge Julio (29)
Joe Kennedy (29)
Scott Linebrink (31)
Luis Vizcaino (31)
Kerry Wood (31)

Schilling is 41 and hinting at going back to Philadelphia or staying in Boston. Plus he's 41 and would take some major overpay to get him in Cincy. Josh Fogg sticks out as someone we should go after. Ground ball sinker pitcher who would fit great in GABP. Matt Clement looks interesting as well. He's only 33 and I'm not sure how much he would cost but he could turn it around given the right situation. We should definitely go after Scott Linebrink. He's a solid middle reliever who was even considered to be a possible closer this year. Jason Jennings not far off some good seasons. Just some ideas and some names. Any thoughts?

jmac
10-15-2007, 10:53 PM
I mentioned several times during the season I wished the reds had tried to sign Gagne but , wow he is having his problems big time now.

AmarilloRed
10-15-2007, 11:03 PM
I think we should see if we could get Josh Fogg to a 1-2 year deal. Randy Wolf is another starter who has had his option declined, so he might be worth a look. I know there are some injury problems with Wolf though. I would give him a 1 year deal with a lot of incentives in the contract.

Will M
10-16-2007, 05:24 PM
I know this thread is about a week old but I thought this list would help some argument. This is a list of some of the free agent pitchers this year. Got it straight from a site so kudos to mlbtraderumors.com. Ages are in parenthesis.

Starting pitchers

Matt Clement (33)
Bartolo Colon (35)
Josh Fogg (31)
Casey Fossum (30)
Freddy Garcia (32)
Jason Jennings (29)
Joe Kennedy (29)
Curt Schilling (41)
Carlos Silva (29)
John Thomson (34)

Closers
Francisco Cordero (33)
Eric Gagne (32)
Bob Wickman (39)

Middle relievers
Jeremy Affeldt (29)
Jorge Julio (29)
Joe Kennedy (29)
Scott Linebrink (31)
Luis Vizcaino (31)
Kerry Wood (31)

Schilling is 41 and hinting at going back to Philadelphia or staying in Boston. Plus he's 41 and would take some major overpay to get him in Cincy. Josh Fogg sticks out as someone we should go after. Ground ball sinker pitcher who would fit great in GABP. Matt Clement looks interesting as well. He's only 33 and I'm not sure how much he would cost but he could turn it around given the right situation. We should definitely go after Scott Linebrink. He's a solid middle reliever who was even considered to be a possible closer this year. Jason Jennings not far off some good seasons. Just some ideas and some names. Any thoughts?

1. My #1 choice for the Reds 2008 #3 starter is to get Schilling one a fat one year deal.

2. My #2 choice is to see what trade value Junior has and if we could get someone fairly young whose team has soured on him
( think AJ Burnett, Heilman, etc )

3. The other free agents on the market are a weak lot.
Matt Clement if he seemed healthy is ok to take on an incentive contract but he won't give us 200 innings.
Same with Colon.
Josh Fogg - wasn't his WHIP something like 1.5 this year?
Casey Fossum - honestly know little about him.
Freddy Garcia - fly ball pitcher?
Jason Jennings - would have been a great target but is hurt.
Joe Kennedy - wasn't he waived by Arizona?
Carlos Silva - his pluses and minuses have been discussed other places. IMO will cost too much and too many years for my liking.
John Thomson - don't know much about him either.

ChatterRed
10-16-2007, 07:58 PM
I'd still try and sign Gagne if the price is right. He did well with Texas. I think he's tired because he had a long lay off.

GoReds33
10-16-2007, 08:03 PM
I'd still try and sign Gagne if the price is right. He did well with Texas. I think he's tired because he had a long lay off.I don't know what happened in Boston. He was really good in Texas, and then he has sucked so far in Boston. I hope that will bring his price tag down a bit. Maybe we have a shot.:)

Prf15
10-16-2007, 08:12 PM
Someone who has impressed me is Yorvit Torrealba. I would love to see the Reds go after him this off-season, not excellent on offense but is a very good defensive catcher.

Frank Zek
10-16-2007, 08:16 PM
Someone who has impressed me is Yorvit Torrealba. I would love to see the Reds go after him this off-season, not excellent on offense but is a very good defensive catcher.

the NLCS announcers said that he had only thrown out 2 of the last 32 base stealers at the end of the regular season

Jay Bruce
10-16-2007, 08:32 PM

Starting pitchers

Matt Clement (33)
Bartolo Colon (35)
Josh Fogg (31)
Casey Fossum (30)
Freddy Garcia (32)
Jason Jennings (29)
Joe Kennedy (29)
Curt Schilling (41)
Carlos Silva (29)
John Thomson (34)

Closers
Francisco Cordero (33)
Eric Gagne (32)
Bob Wickman (39)

Middle relievers
Jeremy Affeldt (29)
Jorge Julio (29)
Joe Kennedy (29)
Scott Linebrink (31)
Luis Vizcaino (31)
Kerry Wood (31)

Just say no to Josh Fogg. His career K/9 is 4.83 and BB/9 is 3.04, too high for a K/9 under 5. In addition, his career HR/9 is 1.23 and isn't inflated by playing in Coors field the last two years, as his HR/FB% has been 10.1 and 10.8% the last two years. That is right in line with where that number should be. In addition, his GB/FB ratio the last three years in only a little over 1.0, so he really can't be considered a grounball pitcher anymore. When the Pirates non-tendered Fogg in 2006, and the Reds apparently expressed interest, I was pushed over the edge into praying that Dan O'Brien would be fired. I don't like him any better now.

As far as Scott Linebrink, I would let someone else take that risk. This year, his K/9 fell to 6.40, when it had been over 8 the last three years. In addition, his walks went up slightly to 3.20 BB/9this year, when it had been around 2.70 the last three years. Finally, his ability to keep the ball in the park appears to be overstated by the Petco Park effect. His HR/9 the last three years had been around 0.8 HR/9, but his HR/FB ratio was always below 10%. This year, his HR/9 rose to a brutal 1.54 HR/9, albiet with an extremely unlucky 15% HR/FB ratio. Basically, Linebrink was a much worse pitcher this year than previous years, and I don't want the Reds to risk giving him a big contract, with the hope that he will return to form.

Finally, I agree with you about Clement and Jennings. If the Reds can get them for low risk, incentive laden deals, I would be perfectly fine giving them a chance to return to being middle of the rotation starters.

Prf15
10-16-2007, 09:39 PM
the NLCS announcers said that he had only thrown out 2 of the last 32 base stealers at the end of the regular season

Are you serious? That stinks, but I have seen him make some nice plays behind the plate not allowing balls to pass by.

howyoufreelin
10-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Are you serious? That stinks, but I have seen him make some nice plays behind the plate not allowing balls to pass by.

They also said he has suffered extreme exhaustion towards the end of the season, but he has caught a second wind in the playoffs where he has played extremely well.

Jones1
10-17-2007, 08:35 AM

Jones1
10-17-2007, 08:40 AM
One of the biggest things the Reds can do to help this ballclub is move Scott Hatteberg to catcher, Hatty has played the position his whole life, he can be an adequate catcher. This moves Valentine's role to be more of a pinch hitter which he is great at, plus we know David Ross gets banged up quite a bit, so having 3 cathers again is not a bad idea. Think of the production we get at catcher with Hatty hitting 290 and providing some HR ability as well. What are your thoughts?

kbrake
10-17-2007, 08:52 AM
One of the biggest things the Reds can do to help this ballclub is move Scott Hatteberg to catcher, Hatty has played the position his whole life, he can be an adequate catcher. This moves Valentine's role to be more of a pinch hitter which he is great at, plus we know David Ross gets banged up quite a bit, so having 3 cathers again is not a bad idea. Think of the production we get at catcher with Hatty hitting 290 and providing some HR ability as well. What are your thoughts?

Hatteberg cant catch because he cant throw anymore. Injured his arm a long time ago. He is at first base or DH some place else thats it for him.

TheWalls
10-17-2007, 09:08 AM

If I wanted that kind of defense, I'd sign Barrett. Ask the Rockies... or the Cubs.

Stephenk29
10-17-2007, 10:12 AM

Hatty hasn't caught a game since 2001. Even then he only caught 78 games. By the time spring roles around that will be seven years ago. Scott works hard and all but he's also getting old. His hitting numbers will decline with a move like this too, which will basically eliminate his main value. David Ross is NOT a bad catcher. He throws out a lot of runners. That's really all you can ask for, quality defense, anything else is gravy. When the Cardinals won the series last year Yadier Molina hit .216 on the season, only slightly higher than Ross. That's not our biggest issue by far. Pitching continues to be priority #1.