PDA

View Full Version : Hockey team allows bloggers big time access

Hoosier Red
10-08-2007, 08:36 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/richard_deitsch/10/08/islanders.bloggers/index.html

Good idea from the NHL eh?

Highlifeman21
10-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Gotta win back fans somehow.

How many people really know the NHL is 4 games deep into the regular season already?

deltachi8
10-08-2007, 09:36 PM

How many people really know the NHL is 4 games deep into the regular season already?

:wave:

of course, i'm a season ticket holder in buffalo.

most of the hockey news i get is from bloggers on hockeybuzz.com

Caveat Emperor
10-08-2007, 10:48 PM

My fantasy hockey team is looking at another year in the cellar -- its Malkin and a bunch of schmoes on skates.

Having said that, the NHL is in serious trouble -- their TV deal sucks something fierce, ticket prices are still too high, and the sport has fallen into 6th place on the national radar behind the NFL, MLB, NBA, NASCAR and Golf.

It really is a pity too, because professional hockey is probably the most exciting live sporting event you can attend, IMO.

Yachtzee
10-09-2007, 01:37 AM
My fantasy hockey team is looking at another year in the cellar -- its Malkin and a bunch of schmoes on skates.

Having said that, the NHL is in serious trouble -- their TV deal sucks something fierce, ticket prices are still too high, and the sport has fallen into 6th place on the national radar behind the NFL, MLB, NBA, NASCAR and Golf.

It really is a pity too, because professional hockey is probably the most exciting live sporting event you can attend, IMO.

I think they made the mistake of rapid expansion and chasing money outside core markets. Hockey was much more interesting when you had teams like the Winnipeg Jets, Quebec Nordiques and Hartford Whalers. I can't help but think that hockey fans in those markets have just turned to minor league hockey or entertain themselves in other ways.

jmcclain19
10-09-2007, 02:00 AM
I love attending Hockey live, but when the Coyotes moved from America West to their new home, they took away the one cheap option you had to go see a game.

Other than extreme nosebleed in the corners of the arena - you're still talking about 25 a piece to go to a game just for the seats - add in parking & gas and a drink- and I'm sorry - you lose out on a good chunk of fans. For a sport that is still relatively new in town and struggling for a fan base, that's a pretty stupid move. The base ticket price alone is above the average ticket price for a baseball game. The Coyotes are lucky to get 10k real ticket buyers with who knows how many they give away or eat to bump those numbers up.

Highlifeman21
10-09-2007, 01:03 PM
I think they made the mistake of rapid expansion and chasing money outside core markets. Hockey was much more interesting when you had teams like the Winnipeg Jets, Quebec Nordiques and Hartford Whalers. I can't help but think that hockey fans in those markets have just turned to minor league hockey or entertain themselves in other ways.

Exactly.

Contract some teams, get a more competitive league, and lower ticket prices. Follow that, and maybe they can regain their status compared to other pro sports.

westofyou
10-09-2007, 01:36 PM

Me.... I've already seen three games myself.

RawOwl UK
10-09-2007, 04:00 PM
I saw the 2nd NHL regular season game this season in London :)

Raisor
10-09-2007, 08:02 PM
I've been to two Thrasher games (one preseason, and the season debut). Got to see them raise their Southeastern division banner to the roof of Phillips Arena, which I have to admit was pretty awesome.
Too bad they've stunk in both regular season games so far this year.

I had a ticket for tomorrow's game, but due to some stuff at work I'm having to pass.

I love me some Thrashers.

Sean_CaseyRules
10-12-2007, 02:21 PM
I love me some Thrashers.

Well I love me some Blue Jackets!!! Leclaire is on a roll!!! 2-0, with 2 SO. I believe that we are going to be pretty good this year, we beat the defending Stanley Cup champs on Opening Night. And we handled Phoenix the whole game on Weds. I'm very excited to see what happens this season!