PDA

View Full Version : An Error-Plagued Game, but From the Broadcast Booth

westofyou
10-09-2007, 11:22 AM
An article on whom I consider THE worst announcer in all of sports (from the non players division)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/09/sports/baseball/09sandomir.html

No announcer is perfect. A mistake now and then is expected. The best ones realize that they’ve made errors and often do their best to fix them quickly.

Then there is Chip Caray, TBS’s lead baseball announcer, who has been calling the Yankees-Indians division series and will work deeper into the postseason on the National League Championship Series. His play-by-play of the Yankees’ 8-4 win in Game 3 on Sunday night was packed with errors and silly strategy, enough to give me agita.

Caray’s skein of faux pas in Game 3, as well as during Game 2, befogged his announcing like the insects that swarmed Joba Chamberlain on Friday night.

He stated that Derek Jeter was playing in his 49th postseason game — “No. 1 of all time.” Truth: it was his 49th division series game, out of 122 postseason games.

He likened the “dynamic duo” of Chamberlain and Mariano Rivera to the Rivera-John Wetteland bullpen pairing in “those great early years of Joe Torre,” when they were dominating the World Series. Truth: Rivera and Wetteland were Yankee teammates for two seasons, and Torre managed them only in 1996.

He said the “Yankees led the world” in home runs this season with 201. He liked saying it so much he said it again. Truth: The Brewers led the majors with 231, followed by the Phillies with 213 and the Reds at 204. The Yankees and Marlins were tied at 201.

He extolled Alex Rodriguez’s “offensive heroics in the first two months of the season” for keeping the Yankees in the race. Truth: A-Rod had a sensational April, but he slumped in May to a .235 batting average with 5 home runs and 11 runs batted in.

He introduced Indians reliever Joe Borowski in Game 3 as having played for the Brewers and the Reds. Truth: He never played for Milwaukee, and while he once signed with the Reds, he never made it out of spring training. Caray also noted his hometown, Bayonne, N.J., but pronounced it as if it were part of the Louisiana bayou.

The error bug also hit the reporter Craig Sager, who reflected on the absence of Bob Sheppard, the Yankee Stadium public address announcer, and said that his first game in 1951 was between the Giants and the Yankees. Truth: The Red Sox were in town.

Caray does not distinguish a go-ahead run from a winning run. In Cleveland on Friday, he said the Indians had the winning run on second base in the bottom of the eighth, and he put the Yankees in the same position in the top of the ninth. Wrong. He also believes that a runner on second will automatically score on a single. Not always.

He also has an annoying air of certitude. With the bases loaded Sunday, and the Yankees leading, 5-3, thanks to Johnny Damon’s three-run homer, Caray said, “This is a spot where they have to score another run to win the game.” Does he also read palms?

That attitude led him on Sunday, after Rodriguez’s first hit of the series, to say, “And here come the Yankees!” A-Rod went back to the bench on Jorge Posada’s double play.

After Damon’s run-scoring single in the third, he said, “And here they come!”

No, they didn’t: Jeter promptly grounded into a double play.

I’m sure that Caray believed his own words when he said, about the Andy Pettitte-Fausto Carmona Game 2 matchup, that “you can’t get better postseason pitching than we’ve seen tonight.” But there had been better, like that perfect game at Yankee Stadium in 1956 when the 42-year-old Chip’s legendary grandfather, Harry, was only 42.

Had the frequently (and ridiculously) loud Caray stayed on mute throughout the series, the analysis of his partners, Tony Gwynn and, to a greater degree, Bob Brenly, would have been worth three or four hours of my time. But a stronger play-by-play voice, like TBS’s other division series announcers, Don Orsillo, Ted Robinson or Dick Stockton, would have made Brenly and Gwynn better. TBS knows how to fix what’s wrong. Yesterday it added SNY’s Ron Darling to its studio program, providing experience that neophytes like Frank Thomas and Cal Ripken lack.

Here are some questions to ponder through the rest of Caray’s work this postseason. Why isn’t he better prepared? If his producer, Jeff Gowen, is listening to what he is saying, why isn’t Caray improving? And why should I have to keep rushing to MLB.com to fact-check his facts?

Through Sunday’s games, TBS’s division series average viewership of 5.4 million is up impressively from 4.5 million last year on ESPN, ESPN2 and Fox. ...The NHL Network, with 50 live games and other programming, announced deals to be carried by Cablevision, Comcast, Cox, Time Warner, DirecTV and Dish. It will most likely be available largely on digital sports tiers.

Blimpie
10-09-2007, 11:50 AM
FWIW, last night, Caray had not improved one iota.

From about the 7th inning on, he was projecting the remaining outs in "Joe Torre's legacy."

Again in the 7th, "Will A-Rod bat again in a Yankee uniform?"

In the 6th, he was all but predicting that Borowski would come in as closer in the 9th (only if the lead were three or less) and "have difficulties because he would most likely be facing the heart of the Yankee order"

He referred to the members of the Cleveland bullpen as the "pensmen" :confused:

The only thing more painful than the last four games, will be the next series when Caray will be involved. The stakes will be higher, but I don't think his game will be stepped up at all.

Unassisted
10-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Chip has a great announcer voice, a face for television and everyone who has followed baseball since WWII associates the name Caray with a well-known announcer. That isn't enough? ;)

TOBTTReds
10-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Chip has a great announcer voice

Honestly, that is all I care about. Almost all announcers are consistantly wrong with stupid stats or remarks on history. Call the play well and have a good voice and that is all I need. I find it comical most of the time.

TeamBoone
10-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Honestly, that is all I care about. Almost all announcers are consistantly wrong with stupid stats or remarks on history. Call the play well and have a good voice and that is all I need. I find it comical most of the time.

It sounds like good old Chip wasn't even calling the plays well. IMHO that's bad during any game, but especially during post-season play.

If you obviously didn't look up the stats you plan to use (and Chip obviously didn't), then don't cite them... just leave them out in an effort to CYA.

I'm sure his producer has no idea if the stats cited are correct; how would he? But he certainly should recognize excruciatingly bad announcing throughout the game.

TBS should be bombarded with email about this.

Heath
10-09-2007, 12:40 PM

I don't know if M2 or Chili agree with me, but the Red Sox have to be pleased with Don Orsillo. He was very flawless in the Rockies/Phillies series, even though he'd been doing AL games all year. Even Joe Simpson raised his game a notch with Orsillo.

Orsillo is the number one guy, IMO. Chip Caray is Joe Buck without being funny or correct. Maybe Caray learned to drink like his grandpa did on the air.

George Anderson
10-09-2007, 01:06 PM
I think it was Carey that on the last out of the game said something along the lines of "a shallow pop fly to right" . The ball ended up being hit like a cpl feet from the warning track. :rolleyes:

Chip R
10-09-2007, 01:34 PM
I think it was Carey that on the last out of the game said something along the lines of "a shallow pop fly to right" . The ball ended up being hit like a cpl feet from the warning track. :rolleyes:

Like grandpa, like grandson.

The best thing I can say for Chip Carey is that he's not Tim McCarver.

Roy Tucker
10-09-2007, 01:37 PM
My wife was watching the game with me for a while.

When after a nice catch by Cabrera in CF and Caray said "some vitamin-D from Melky", my wife said "please tell me he didn't really say that".

Roy Tucker
10-09-2007, 01:37 PM

from the George Grande School of Broadcasting...

RedsManRick
10-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Deleted.

(Note to self... read thread prior to making observation...)

blumj
10-09-2007, 01:55 PM
My wife was watching the game with me for a while.

When after a nice catch by Cabrera in CF and Caray said "some vitamin-D from Melky", my wife said "please tell me he didn't really say that".
Worse, it was actually, "from the Melkman", and stolen from one of the Yankees regular announcers.

SunDeck
10-09-2007, 01:57 PM
I don't watch baseball to learn anything other than what's going on in the game. As long as the guy tells me who's up, what the count is, who's ahead, etc. I don't really pay attention to all the extra stuff they add in there. Color announcers and all the extras that PBP guys add in are kind of like white noise to me.

I've probably listened to McCarver a hundred times. He's excoriated on this board and I honestly can't remember one thing he has ever said that would cause me to complain about it here.

M2
10-09-2007, 02:13 PM
I don't know if M2 or Chili agree with me, but the Red Sox have to be pleased with Don Orsillo. He was very flawless in the Rockies/Phillies series, even though he'd been doing AL games all year. Even Joe Simpson raised his game a notch with Orsillo.

Orsillo is the number one guy, IMO. Chip Caray is Joe Buck without being funny or correct. Maybe Caray learned to drink like his grandpa did on the air.

I think Orsillo's the gold standard, but chances are he's not going to get elevated someone with the last name of Caray at TBS any time soon.

Though Chip can get annoying, I thought Gwynn and Brenly carried him fairly well last night. In general I was impressed by the TBS broadcasts (for all series).

LoganBuck
10-09-2007, 02:53 PM
I've probably listened to McCarver a hundred times. He's excoriated on this board and I honestly can't remember one thing he has ever said that would cause me to complain about it here.

McCarver likes to make himself the story, or to interject how he would have handled it, or a situation that occurred in his past that was similar. I don't care. Don't try so hard, just tell us about the game at hand, or add anecdotes about those games without the bravoso.

Sea Ray
10-09-2007, 07:24 PM
I wonder if the powers that be ask the likes of Vin Scully, Jerry Coleman or Joe Garagiola Sr to do post season games or do they just cater to the X- generation by hiring these young guns? There are a lot of active Hall of Fame broadcasters that they could get to do these games yet we get Chip Carey.

vaticanplum
10-09-2007, 08:22 PM
My hope is that during the downtime these next few days before the league series begin, Tony Gwynn will eat Chip Carey.

BoydsOfSummer
10-09-2007, 08:23 PM
They were nice simple broadcasts. A nice change methinks. Not bombarded with cool graphics and other excessive tripe that gets on my nerves. I think Fox takes over now. It will all change then.

Team Clark
10-09-2007, 09:14 PM

At least Carey is HALF Right on occasion. :D McCarver is RARELY right or even broadcasting the same game we are watching.

RFS62
10-09-2007, 09:26 PM
My hope is that during the downtime these next few days before the league series begin, Tony Gwynn will eat Chip Carey.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

paintmered
10-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Now's a good time to bring this gem back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on2REm4O_yE

Sea Ray
10-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Now's a good time to bring this gem back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on2REm4O_yE

I assume the last line was cut off 'cause it's not too funny as it is.

KronoRed
10-09-2007, 09:50 PM

Why do you wish such an awful fate on poor Tony Gwynn? :lol:

Tom Servo
10-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Caray also noted his hometown, Bayonne, N.J., but pronounced it as if it were part of the Louisiana bayou.
Anybody here know how he pronounced it? As a NJ native I find this screw up particularly funny.

vaticanplum
10-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Anybody here know how he pronounced it? As a NJ native I find this screw up particularly funny.

He said "bye-on", and he said it at least twice. I didn't pick up all of the baseball errors mentioned in the article but I sure did notice this. As a non-NJ native it made my ears bleed.

paintmered
10-09-2007, 10:31 PM
I assume the last line was cut off 'cause it's not too funny as it is.

Let's try this one instead.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4062929030917371068&q=tim+mccarver&total=26&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

paintmered
10-09-2007, 10:33 PM

I'm showing my Ohio ignorance here, but how is it supposed to be pronounced?

vaticanplum
10-09-2007, 10:40 PM
I'm showing my Ohio ignorance here, but how is it supposed to be pronounced?

Pretty much the way it looks. Bay-own. The North Jersey accent tends to shorten the "o" a bit, but it doesn't distort it into another language like Carey did.

pedro
10-09-2007, 10:43 PM

Tell me about it. I have a brother in law from Kearny.

Wheelhouse
10-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Chip Caray is also EXCRUCIATINGLY boring. I'm glad the Atlanta/TBS relationship is over--having Caray on regularly nationwide hurt the sport. I would have thought baseball to be "boring," as it is sometimes called, if my first exposure to it involved Caray.

OldXOhio
10-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Chip has a great announcer voice

He does? That's a matter of opinion.

Reds Fanatic
10-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Here is a follow up from the same New York Times writer with even more Carey mistakes:

...I won’t go on at length about Caray’s miscues during the Yankees-Indians division series as I did yesterday. But during Game 4, he wrongly situated the Chrysler Building in downtown Manhattan during a blimp shot; falsely named Kei Igawa as a product of the Yankees’ farm system; incorrectly said the Indians were on an “unbelievable hot streak”; clumsily described Indians starter Paul Byrd’s effective five-inning stint as “magnificent” and fumbled over the history of Mike Mussina’s relief appearances.

When Johnny Damon’s sixth-inning single moved Shelley Duncan to third, Caray uttered, “The crowd is up for grabs.” I have no idea what he meant.

In the eighth, he said, “Barring another run by Cleveland, it sets up Joe Borowski in the ninth.” Don’t try parsing that one; your hair will fall out.

SunDeck
10-10-2007, 02:32 PM
McCarver likes to make himself the story, or to interject how he would have handled it, or a situation that occurred in his past that was similar. I don't care. Don't try so hard, just tell us about the game at hand, or add anecdotes about those games without the bravoso.

Could be that my comments reflect more on me than announcers. I just don't really tune in too much to what they are saying.

TeamBoone
10-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Could be that my comments reflect more on me than announcers. I just don't really tune in too much to what they are saying.

SD, that's fine, but for those who do (like me and many others), this kind of sloppy reporting shouldn't be tolerated by MLB.

westofyou
10-10-2007, 06:55 PM
SD, that's fine, but for those who do (like me and many others), this kind of sloppy reporting shouldn't be tolerated by MLB.

"Tolerate"

Holy Harry Caray or Holy Dizzy Dean... Baseball laps this stuff up

traderumor
10-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Caray uttered, “The crowd is up for grabs.” I have no idea what he meant. Does it take too much imagination for a New York crowd? :p:

Unassisted
10-10-2007, 07:12 PM
He does? That's a matter of opinion.To my ear, Chip sounds very much like Thom. Do you not like Thom's voice?

Tom Servo
10-10-2007, 07:14 PM
To my ear, Chip sounds very much like Thom. Do you not like Thom's voice?
The first time I flipped on TBS games and heard the announcers I could have sworn it was Thom doing the announcing. I definatly hear a similarity.

Yachtzee
10-10-2007, 07:16 PM

TBS picked the wrong Caray to call games. They should have gotten his dad Skip, even if we wouldn't get to enjoy his signature "ChippaJones" call.

westofyou
10-10-2007, 09:11 PM

I thought the same thing, vocally same pitch etc... Thom announces like McCarver though, belabors points to make his points seem pertinent. IMO that is.

OldXOhio
10-11-2007, 01:52 PM

No, I'm okay w/ Thom's voice. And I don't disagree with some of the similarities b/w the two but I do about the pitch. Chip's is too high most times for my liking.

cincinnati chili
10-12-2007, 04:06 AM

Chili agrees about Orsillo. It used to be really confusing when NESN used to rotate broadcasts with either Orsillo or Sean McDonough. Their voices are very similar.

I believe Orsillo paid his dues with the Paw Sox in the minor leagus, and and far as I know is no former announcer's kid.

I like Joe Buck (showing that nepotism isn't always so bad).

McCarver has driven me crazy over the years, but I've come to realize that I actually like him when he doesn't try to be funny. His attempts at humor are brutal. Buck is the funny one.

Like M2, I've been overall happy with TBS' coverage. It seems like fewer commercials too, which I really like. Imagine... every once in a while between innings you talk baseball instead of having a bunch of commercials.

You know who was absolutely BRUTAL in the ALDS was Dick Stockton. He flat out just didn't know baseball.

He referred to the Rockies' "Jorge Julio" as "Julio Jorge."