PDA

View Full Version : The good news is...

UPRedsFan
10-09-2007, 01:10 PM
There are pessimists and there are optimists on this board. I'm sure the pessimists consider themselves realists (admittedly many of you are more of a realist than I am). But it's more fun as a fan to be an eternal optimist.

So here's my attempt to start a thread of pure optimism about 2008

Please fill in the blank with your own positive observations about 2007 and things to feel good about in 2008

The good news is...

Here's a couple of my own.

1. Eddie Guardado looked like his old self the last 7 appearances of the year. With Burton he could solidify the 7th and 8th innings next year.

2. The Reds are brimming over with offensive talent which gives Wayne many options to explore a trade for a starting pitcher.

durl
10-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Votto. I believe he'll get his chance next year.

AmarilloRed
10-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Jared Burton. He started out pretty bad at the start of the year, but really came on strong at the end. That Rule 5 pick turned out really well.

scounts22
10-09-2007, 02:47 PM
I think there were a lot of positives this year, minus the bullpen. Burton was terrific the last part of the season. Votto, Keppinger, and Hamilton were great. Phillips was tremendous Harang was exceptional. And I guess I'm excited about using adjectives today.

I(heart)Freel
10-09-2007, 03:08 PM
The good news is...

this thread! How refreshing!

I second the Burton love earlier on this thread. If he can maintain or - gasp! - progress, then the Reds solved the one thing that singlehandedly kept the division out of reach: the 8th inning.

More good news is also being deep offensively for the first time in recent memory. What a perfect time to be loaded, since it will be trades - not free agency - that improve this club before March 31, 2008.

UPRedsFan
10-09-2007, 03:41 PM
I'll try a few more...

The good news is....

Homer will be a year older with 40+ innings of major league experience under his belt

EE broke out in the second half with both his defense and offense. Can't wait to see what he does in '08.

The Cowboy
10-09-2007, 03:42 PM
The depth that we have is beyond belief (that is when everyone is healthy). I would love to see us clear a spot for The Boss to play but that remains to be seen. We had a down year but we have more positives this down year than any other from the past 8 years, if that makes any sense.

GoReds33
10-09-2007, 03:50 PM
The good news is that this year was a reality check for this team, and they should be back to their where they were last year, or better next year. More good news is that we have a GM that continues to bring in depth for nothing.

texasdave
10-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Here is a stat that hopefully turns out to be a silver lining and not fool's gold. Todd Coffey, in his last nine appearances, pitched shutout baseball for 6 1/3 innings. During that stretch he allowed 6 hits and 1 walk. He struck out 7. The Reds can use that particular brand of Coffey in 2008.

Degenerate39
10-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Good idea for a thread I hope it stays optimistic

texasdave
10-09-2007, 04:27 PM
In honor of degenerate10 picking all four Division Series outcomes correctly, I will offer this one. Adam Dunn will be playing on two good knees in 2008.

UPRedsFan
10-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Here is a stat that hopefully turns out to be a silver lining and not fool's gold. Todd Coffey, in his last nine appearances, pitched shutout baseball for 6 1/3 innings. During that stretch he allowed 6 hits and 1 walk. He struck out 7. The Reds can use that particular brand of Coffey in 2008.

Also shows his problems weren't due to injury. So there is some hope that he can return to or build on his solid showing in '06. The talent is there.

UPRedsFan
10-09-2007, 05:19 PM
The good news is...

In his last 3 starts (small sample but telling) Homer posted a 3.71 ERA and a WHIP of 1.24. His walks were down since his earlier stint.

In about 550 combined at bats Kepp and Hopp hit about .330 and got on base around .370 - .400 Not bad for 2 subs!

Next year's bench will be very strong - Keep, Hopp, Cantu, Hatteberg?, Valentin, Freel.

jnwohio
10-09-2007, 07:02 PM
The good news By the end of the 2008 season Brandon Phillips has a chance to be the all around best at his position in the majors. I talking about 2nd base; but depending how his defense turned out, this might even come true after a year or so even if the Reds felt the need to put him back at SS.

AmarilloRed
10-09-2007, 07:07 PM
The good news is that Josh Hamilton turned out much better than anyone could have hoped, and I look forward to seeing him play in 2008. There was another Rule 5 pick that turned out well.

Degenerate39
10-09-2007, 08:06 PM
In honor of degenerate10 picking all four Division Series outcomes correctly, I will offer this one. Adam Dunn will be playing on two good knees in 2008.

:lol: I was pretty surprised that I got all of those picks right. But I bet I'm going to regret putting the D-Backs beating the Rockies.

And with Dunn having two healthy knees in 2008 I think he might be able to get 50 homers.

dthomas24
10-09-2007, 10:14 PM
The good news is the BC is letting WK continue in his duties as GM, not making a knee-jerk decision to hire WJ. Let WK's 3-5 year plan play out!!!

More good news is being able to use initials!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack Burton
10-09-2007, 11:11 PM
The good news is we should see Jay Bruce in the majors very soon.

Degenerate39
10-10-2007, 07:03 AM
The good news is we should see Jay Bruce in the majors very soon.

And Johnny Cueto

Degenerate39
10-10-2007, 10:13 PM

Harang had a good year
Hamilton had a good year
Griffey managed to stay healthy for most of the year
Dunn hit 40 home runs for the 4th consecutive year
Burton showed he could be a good set up man or possibly closer in the near future
Everyday Eddie looked good his last few times out
Edwin had a good second half of the year
Weathers did good in the closer roll this year
Phillips joins the 30/30 club
Keppinger and Hopper showed that they could help make the bench for next year one of the best in the majors
Cantu was a steal
Bray is finally healthy
We finally got to see Homer Bailey get some starts
Votto had a nice Sept.
Pete Mackanin had a good run as manager

The debut of Jay Bruce
The debut of Johnny Cueto
High draft pick in 2008
Griffey joining the 600 club
Votto should get a whole year to play in the Majors
Dunn will be playing with two good knees as texasdave mentioned
Phillips should have another good year maybe he can join the 35/35 club
Josh Hamilton will hopefully stay healthy next year and show what he can do with a whole season
Gonzo's son will hopefully be healthy so that'll be off his mind and he'll have a good season both on defense and offense
All the young guns like Bailey, Hamilton, Edwin, and company will continue to improve

SMcGavin
10-11-2007, 12:11 AM
I've got two:

1. If one of our Opening Day position player starters gets hurt it will probably be no big deal. With Keppinger, Hopper and Freel starting 2008 on the bench, along with Jay Bruce waiting in the wings, a couple of injuries will not derail this team.

2. Even if the Reds make no major rotation acquisitions between then and now, the 2009 rotation of Harang-Arroyo-Bailey-Belisle-Cueto should be one of the best in NL. If we just add one OK starter this offseason, we have insurance against Belisle tanking or Bailey/Cueto not being ready. Get ready for a new era of Reds baseball, where the rotation is actually a strength.

CarolinaRedleg
10-11-2007, 12:26 AM
.....as of this entry, Dusty Baker is not the manager of the Cincinnati Reds

UPRedsFan
10-11-2007, 12:13 PM
I've got two:

1. If one of our Opening Day position player starters gets hurt it will probably be no big deal. With Keppinger, Hopper and Freel starting 2008 on the bench, along with Jay Bruce waiting in the wings, a couple of injuries will not derail this team.

2. Even if the Reds make no major rotation acquisitions between then and now, the 2009 rotation of Harang-Arroyo-Bailey-Belisle-Cueto should be one of the best in NL. If we just add one OK starter this offseason, we have insurance against Belisle tanking or Bailey/Cueto not being ready. Get ready for a new era of Reds baseball, where the rotation is actually a strength.

UPRedsFan
10-11-2007, 12:24 PM
It's possible the rotation could be the best in the Central and the bullpen could be strong as well. Lot's of ifs here but consider the possibility that:

Rotation:
Bailey can go a full season with ERA around 4. He did it in his last 3 starts after getting called back up.

Belisle can improve his consistency and be counted on as a solid #5 with an ERA under 5.0

Krivsky could trade offense for an average starter for the #4 spot

Pen
Guardado will be 1 1/2 yrs removed from surgery and could be reliable again

Bray will be healthy all year and could fulfill his potential as a solid late innings guy

GoReds33
10-11-2007, 03:52 PM
The good news is that we are taking our time, trying to find the best possible manager.

Red Rover
10-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Good News,

A rotation without Eric Milton!

GoReds33
10-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Good News,

A rotation without Eric Milton!...Or a payroll without a 9 million dollar fifth starter.:)

gedred69
10-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Ahhhh, the really good news, is there are a lot of prospects knocking on the door for each of the next 3 years. The obvious Bailey, Votto, Bruce, Cueto. Then,,, Dorn, Valaika, Fisher, Watson. Then,,, Turner, Fransisco---if he isn't another Wily Mo--and oh man, check out some of the guys at Billings! Brandon Waring is a monster, who shows all the signs of being a can't miss. Bartles, and a catcher that can maybe hit. Can he catch? Dunno.... A starting pitcher Montano, and some guys who were sucessful closing. These guys will be Krivsky's 1st class for all those who say his drafts so far are weak, to really evaluate how WK did.

Carolina Red
10-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Good news: I think we have just seen Josh Hamilton scratch the surface of what he is going to do as a major leaguer. Just imagine what he will do next year after a season of major league play under his belt. He will be a star.