PDA

View Full Version : LaRussa To The Bronx?

Jpup
10-09-2007, 02:47 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/10/09/2007-10-09_george_steinbrenner_may_clean_house_hire.html

Yankee insiders say La Russa, who managed the St. Louis Cardinals to a World Series title last year, is a Steinbrenner pal. They also say he'll likely bring Dave Duncan, considered by many the best pitching coach in baseball.

He'll also likely clean out all of Torre's coaches with the possible exception of Don Mattingly, Torre's bench coach and the man insiders see as the Yankee manager of the future.

The Yanks haven't reached out to the feisty La Russa yet, but insiders say the 63-year-old skipper wants the job and is holding off committing to the Cardinals until the Yankee situation plays out.

La Russa's "a short-timer who wants to win more championships," is the way one insider put it. These insiders say they believe Mattingly is not quite ready for the top job, but would be in two years, after he's had two years of mentoring under Torre and another two under La Russa, two likely Hall of Fame skippers.

redsmetz
10-09-2007, 04:18 PM
And per ESPN, DeWitt says the clock in St. Louis is running...

Tony La Russa is taking his time deciding whether he'll return for a 13th season as St. Louis manager. The Cardinals won't wait forever.

Team chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch for Tuesday's editions that whatever La Russa intends to do, the club wants "to know something relatively soon."

"It's not open-ended," DeWitt told the newspaper. "If Tony's not coming back, we need to look for other candidates."

DeWitt did not give a deadline for La Russa to make his decision, nor did he say if he knew how La Russa would be leaning. And DeWitt also must hire a general manager -- the person usually charged with hiring a manager. Walt Jocketty was ousted last week after a 13-year run as St. Louis' head of baseball operations.

"I don't think Tony needs to hear more from me," DeWitt told the Post-Dispatch. "I informed him we were going about the GM search. I didn't tell him he needed to let me know today or tomorrow, but it needs to be a reasonably short period of time. I think he understands that."

La Russa, 63, has indicated that he would make a decision sometime this week. He's been a manager for 30 seasons and has expressed a desire to continue working in that capacity -- somewhere -- in 2008.

La Russa's name already has surfaced as a possible replacement in New York if the Yankees decide not to renew Joe Torre's contract. The Yankees were eliminated from the postseason by the Cleveland Indians in four Division Series games.

According to the New York Daily News, the Yankees have not reached out to La Russa. Citing unnamed "insiders," the newspaper said La Russa wants the Yankees job and has not committed yet to the Cardinals until New York's situation gets settled.

LINEDRIVER
10-09-2007, 06:52 PM
LaRussa might wind up in New York, but I mean really, since when is LaRussa Steinbrenner's 'pal' ??? Did they wave to each other in a NY restaurant once upon a time??? That's a new one on me and probably millions of others.

I hope the Yankee insiders realize that Duncan is under contract with St. Louis for 2008 so I wouldnt say at this point that it's 'likely' that Duncan will follow LaRussa. Duncan's contract would have to be bought out or traded for if St. Louis would even consider letting him go.

IF the two of them were hired/acquired, the headline in the NY Daily News could read, BATMAN AND ROBIN TO RESCUE GOTHAM CITY

pedro
10-09-2007, 06:56 PM
LaRussa might wind up in New York, but I mean really, since when is LaRussa Steinbrenner's 'pal' ??? Did they wave to each other in a NY restauarnt once upon a time???That's a new one on me and probably millions of others.

I hope the Yankee insiders realize that Duncan is under contract with St. Louis for 2008 so I wouldnt say at this point that it's 'likely' that Duncan will follow LaRussa. Duncan's contract would have to be bought out or traded for if St. Louis would even consider letting him go.

IF the two of them were hired/acquired, the headline in the NY Post could read, BATMAN AND ROBIN TO RESCUE GOTHAM CITY.

probably a Tampa thing.

blumj
10-09-2007, 06:57 PM
This has to happen. Everyone at the NY Post is already drooling.

TeamBoone
10-10-2007, 12:46 PM
I didn't think this "stuff" was supposed to transpire during the playoffs and World Series, per Selig, because it's a distraction. And, I must admit, it kind of is at this point in time.

Chip R
10-10-2007, 12:54 PM
I didn't think this "stuff" was supposed to transpire during the playoffs and World Series, per Selig, because it's a distraction. And, I must admit, it kind of is at this point in time.

Actual hirings aren't supposed to happen. I don't think there's any edict against rumors and innuendo - especially from NYC.

westofyou
10-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Actual hirings aren't supposed to happen. I don't think there's any edict against rumors and innuendo - especially from NYC.

Rumors and innuendo are the air that baseball exhales and the fans breath.

KronoRed
10-10-2007, 03:00 PM

With no baseball till Thursday it's not that big a deal...right now ;)

Chip R
10-10-2007, 03:14 PM
It looks like LaRussa wants to wait till the Cards have a GM in place before he makes a decision to come back. Abd he wants one hired ASAP and not in 2-3 weeks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3055408

TeamBoone
10-10-2007, 06:47 PM
It looks like LaRussa wants to wait till the Cards have a GM in place before he makes a decision to come back. Abd he wants one hired ASAP and not in 2-3 weeks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3055408

Well, isn't that selfish of him to blackmail the owner to make such a huge decision according to HIS timeframe!

Now that's what I call taking one for the team.... NOT!