PDA

View Full Version : Pushing Daisies

MrCinatit
10-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Has anyone else been watching this rather quirky show?
Caught my first episode last night - and I must say, I enjoyed it a whole lot.
This is a Bryan Fuller creation, he who wrote many a Star Trek: Voyager episodes; as well as being creator for Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me, as well as dabbling a little bit in a show called Heroes last year.
The two main leads - Lee Pace and Anna Friel are very good (at least in my opinion), but the guy who seems to steal every scene is Chi McBride of Boston Public fan.

The basic premise is this: A man (Pace) has the ability to touch a dead person - and they live. Touch them again, and they are dead forever.
Touch a living person and not touch them again - and something or someone else in the vicinity will die instead.
Friel plays a woman he has been in love with for a long time (he accidentally killed her dad a long time ago - she does not know this). She dies, he brings her back to life - but since his touch has bought her back to life, he cannot touch her again. Last night, this lead to a very unique kissing scene, as well as his later solution to holding hands in his car.

There were many who felt Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me were done way before they should have been - I have hopes that Pushing Daisies does not follow the same fate. In just this one showing, I have grown fond of the show.
Does anyone else like this program?

RFS62
10-11-2007, 09:01 AM
I've seen the first two episodes and really like it.

sonny
10-11-2007, 09:09 AM
I think it is a very inventive show. My concern is keeping it fresh (no pun intended) without going into bizzare stories that are just to campy or uninteresting. Its got a good Tim Burton feel to it. And Shea Mcbride is just a funny guy to look at.

So far so good for me.

Chip R
10-11-2007, 09:34 AM
I've seen the first two episodes and really like it.

Same here.

redsfanmia
10-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Watched it last night and really enjoyed it.

Reds Fanatic
10-11-2007, 09:47 AM
It is by far my favorite new show of the new TV season. If you missed any episodes I believe you can see all of them at abc.com.

GIK
10-11-2007, 10:44 AM
Excellent show. My favorite this year.

KronoRed
10-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Best new show of the year no doubt.

UKFlounder
10-11-2007, 04:47 PM
I didn't see much of last night's show, but saw almost all of the first episode and enjoyed it. It's very quirky or strange, and seemed to appeal to my sense of humor.

It is a good question of how they can keep it fresh or come up with new stories, but I'll certainly watch it again.

The only other new show I tried to watch was Cavemen, but the first episode stunk so I won't be watching that again in all likelihood

TeamBoone
10-11-2007, 05:30 PM
I've watched the first two episodes, but am still on the fence about it. I'm trying to figure out if I'm wasting my TV time with it. I think it's a show I could miss for several weeks in a row and not really miss it at all. It certainly will never make my list of favorites.

My favorite new shows are Journeyman, K-Ville, and Life.

M2
10-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Saw a little bit of it last night and I found it a bit too self-consciously precious for my tastes. I prefer a show where the ambition is part of the story that's being told rather than where the story is subservient to the ambition of the format. For instance, I love Un Chien Andalou, but it would have made a poor weekly drama.

RedsFan75
10-12-2007, 08:29 AM
I always liked Dead Like Me and still catch it on Sci-Fi. They kept it going pretty good, too bad it was before it's time.

My only concern with Daisies is how are they going to keep it going. Keep the tension, and not let it get stale and predictable.

Unassisted
10-12-2007, 02:13 PM
I watched the first two episodes and decided that was enough. This feels like a show that is trying to exist on style alone. It's like a Willy Wonka movie without Willy Wonka.

Out of all of the characters, the only one I liked was Chuck. IMO, Chi McBride is a good actor who doesn't have enough to do in this and Lee Pace is a boring actor who has no business at the center of the drama.

The photography and art-direction is dazzling, but there's just too little substance to keep me entertained. My DVR won't be recording any more episodes of Pushing Daisies.

justincredible
10-12-2007, 04:55 PM
I caught the first episode and really liked it. I missed it this week but my girlfriend said it was another good one.

UKFlounder
10-12-2007, 06:04 PM
It's like a Willy Wonka movie without Willy Wonka.

That's the kind of phrase I've been looking for to describe it - "Willy Wonka style."

I understand the w/o Willy Wonka point too, and perhaps that will become a bigger point to me as I see it more and more, if there are no other developments, but Willy Wonka style does fit how I was trying to describe it to friends the other day.

Falls City Beer
10-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Saw a little bit of it last night and I found it a bit too self-consciously precious for my tastes. I prefer a show where the ambition is part of the story that's being told rather than where the story is subservient to the ambition of the format. For instance, I love Un Chien Andalou, but it would have made a poor weekly drama.

Not enough knifeplay. I agree.

(I actually haven't watched a moment of it, but if TV's missing anything these days....)

RFS62
10-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Not enough knifeplay. I agree.

(I actually haven't watched a moment of it, but if TV's missing anything these days....)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1405/553070617_4350466325.jpg

KronoRed
10-12-2007, 08:02 PM
That picture is disturbing on many levels

MrCinatit
10-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Any superhero picture without The Tick is incomplete.

A think I like Pushing Daisies because it is a bit different - but only time will tell if the show does have lasting appeal for me, or grows tiring. The Willy Wonka comparison is very apt. I guess after a few years of reality television, I am happy to see a show which consists of more than "hey, let's stick a microphone in front of this guy and laugh at him!"
I was very surprised to see Ellen Green was on the show. I thought she dropped off the face of the Earth after Little Shop of Horrors.

paintmered
10-12-2007, 09:06 PM
I wasn't expecting Kristen Chenoweth to go all 42nd street in the last episode. She's got a wonderful voice even though the scene was incredibly cheesy.

I'm still not sure what to make of the show. I might be watching it four years from now still trying to figure out what to make of it.

pahster
10-13-2007, 12:13 AM
I wasn't expecting Kristen Chenoweth to go all 42nd street in the last episode.

I loathe™ 42nd Street.

But I thought the scene was hilarious.

KronoRed
10-13-2007, 01:29 AM
I loathe™ 42nd Street.

But I thought the scene was hilarious.

The dog loves her :D

MrCinatit
10-13-2007, 07:55 AM
I cringed when she started to sing - but I was rolling at her little dance with the cleaning guy.

"Did you say something?"
"Uh...no."