PDA

View Full Version : Jocketty considers offer from Reds

CincyReds2003
10-12-2007, 11:07 PM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2007/10/12/ddn101307reds.html

The Cincinnati Reds are pursuing former St. Louis Cardinals General Manager Walt Jocketty, offering him one of the titles currently held by President and Chief Executive Officer Bob Castellini, two sources told the Dayton Daily News on Friday.

A source with the Reds said Jocketty would become CEO, with Castellini retaining the title of president. A source in St. Louis said Jocketty has been offered the president's chair.

Jocketty is considering the offer and has told friends he would have a job in baseball within a week. If he comes to Cincinnati, he most likely would be in charge of baseball operations, a position below Castellini and above General Manager Wayne Krivsky.

Castellini, who heads the Reds' ownership group, refused to talk Friday about upcoming moves by the Reds, including the naming of a permanent manager, and said, "I don't mean to be difficult, but we're not talking about any of this. We're in a shutdown period."

Krivsky, attending meetings in Sarasota, Fla., said, "I'm going to be consistent with what everybody else is doing on this and not make any comments until everything is resolved and we have something to announce. It is better that way."

ESPN reported Thursday that the Reds interviewed former Chicago Cubs and San Francisco Giants manager Dusty Baker for the managerial job.

It is believed the team also has talked to former Arizona Diamondbacks manager and current Cubs broadcaster Bob Brenly, and Joe Girardi, National League Manager of the Year in 2006 with the Florida Marlins.

A call from the Dayton Daily News to interim manager Pete Mackanin was not returned. He was promised an interview after he led the Reds to a 41-39 record after Jerry Narron was fired this season.

Jocketty, 56, was general manager/senior vice president for the Cardinals from 1994 until he resigned after the 2007 season. He and Castellini are close, their association going back to when Castellini was an investor with the Cardinals, beginning in 1995, a year after Jocketty became GM.

Under Jocketty's direction, the Cardinals won the World Series in 2006, played in the World Series in 2004 and also participated in postseason play in 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2005.

There has been speculation that if Jocketty came to Cincinnati, manager Tony La Russa would follow, but it is believed in St. Louis that La Russa will return to the Cardinals.

If the Reds are to do anything at this juncture, they would have to get permission from Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig, because Selig prefers no big announcements during the playoffs.

SultanOfSwing
10-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Sounds great to me!

jmac
10-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Sounds great to me!

Agreed ! Sounds like the wheels are turnin' !

captainmorgan07
10-12-2007, 11:41 PM
sounds good to me

SultanOfSwing
10-12-2007, 11:51 PM
Is there any down side to this? If Jocketty isn't replacing Krivsky right now, I cannot see how this can do anything but benefit the club.

With this position, would Jocketty be involved in trades and the like. If so, we could be a very, very busy (and productive) offseason.

:)

jnwohio
10-13-2007, 12:06 AM
Well now we know why Dusty was not announced Friday as predicted in some places.

Interesting that Pete Mackanin stiffed Hal when he has been talking to others. Could indicate he has heard from the Reds and is toeing the company line because he is in on board for the future in some capacity, exactly what might depend on Mr. LaRussa's decision.

If this is correct, it sounds like they will be having one big "meet your new managment team" announcement when everything is settled and Selig gives the green light that the time is OK to do it.

jmac
10-13-2007, 12:11 AM
Hopefully,this will be the beginning of a great/productive offseason.

GoReds33
10-13-2007, 12:42 AM
I like the potential move. If we end up with Jockety and Krivsky though there might be some kind of a clash of styles. Here's hoping this will work out.

10-13-2007, 04:23 AM
If this happens, the best thing about it would be that WK would be forced to be less of an egomaniac. He has tried too hard to make sure this is "his team", and the Reds have lost some really good people (Johnny Alverez, Chief Bender....) because of WK's ego.
If this happens, it will be Walt's team, and WK will have to answer to him.

It does seem like the best situation, since WK is great at picking up undervalued talent, but has yet to show that he knows how to build a team. Building a team and a franchise is Walt's greatest strength.

One more thing, it is nice to see Hal getting an exclusive. With all the blogging done by the young gun beat writers, some fans were saying that Hal was out of touch. It looks like he still knows how to be an old fashion reporter.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-13-2007, 07:37 AM
...Interesting that Pete Mackanin stiffed Hal when he has been talking to others. Could indicate he has heard from the Reds and is toeing the company line because he is in on board for the future in some capacity, exactly what might depend on Mr. LaRussa's decision.....

jnw You know that I respect your insight and knowledge, and have said as much several times. However, I don't understand the statement you made about Pete "stiffing" Hal. Did Pete not return a phone call? Can you fault him for that? please elaborate.

GoReds33
10-13-2007, 10:28 AM
jnw You know that I respect your insight and knowledge, and have said as much several times. However, I don't understand the statement you made about Pete "stiffing" Hal. Did Pete not return a phone call? Can you fault him for that? please elaborate.Yeah, sometimes I don't return messages for a while. This just means that either he doesn't want to talk to Hal, or he just didn't check his messages.:)

Screwball
10-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Castellini says otherwise:

Talking to Castellini

Reds CEO Bob Castellini denied a report that he's offered former St. Louis GM Walt Jocketty a job.

"No, no," he said. "I haven't."

Castellini said last week that GM Wayne Krivsky's job was safe. "Wayne Krivsky is our GM. Period," he said.

That, of course, left open the possibility that Jocketty could come in a post above Krivsky. But Castellini said he has not talked to Jocketty about any job.

Krivsky's contract gives him final say on all baseball decisions.

Castellini is in Sarasota, Fla., attending the club's organization meetings.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/

gedred69
10-13-2007, 02:48 PM
This is all rather confusing. Bring in another GM type while already having a GM? Make him President? What is John Allen's title, or is he out? If Krivsky has final say on all Baseball decisions, why bring in somebody else? What would BC do if so? Would he be comfortable sitting back while somebody else runs the team and spends his money? This is making my head hurt.

10-13-2007, 03:09 PM
Castallini could be telling the truth to Fay and Hal McCoy's report could be true to. Bob could have had John Allen or someone else in the Red's organization talk to Walt about a job. All he said was the HE did not talk to Walt.
Politiicians use this ploy all the time.
Or maybe I am just hoping he did.

jnwohio
10-13-2007, 03:33 PM
jnw You know that I respect your insight and knowledge, and have said as much several times. However, I don't understand the statement you made about Pete "stiffing" Hal. Did Pete not return a phone call? Can you fault him for that? please elaborate.

Just that he talked to C.Trent and John Fay earlier in the week and did not return Hal's call.

I did not mean it as an offense to Pete. In fact I thought it was notable because it seemed out of normal for him not to return the call.

Whether they support Pete for the manager job or not, I think all four beat guys have gone out of their way to say he was great to work with.

Screwball
10-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Castallini could be telling the truth to Fay and Hal McCoy's report could be true to. Bob could have had John Allen or someone else in the Red's organization talk to Walt about a job. All he said was the HE did not talk to Walt.
Politiicians use this ploy all the time.
Or maybe I am just hoping he did.

Good point. I hope that's the case as well. While I'm no fan of what WJ has done with the Cards' farm system, I really think he could significantly help our Major League team - especially in the area of identifying the right types of arms to acquire for much needed bullpen help.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-13-2007, 04:52 PM
jnw - Pete talked to CTR and Fay earlier in the week before WK and BC started with the top secret dealings with the toothpick chewer. Rather than say anything negative, not that he would anyway, about the poor way Wayne is treating him, he decided to say nothing.

Apparently, Wayne operates in a unique business environment where you do not communicate with your key employees for long periods of time. He has not called Pete even to say "hang in there, pal". WK likes keeping everyone in the dark about everything. He thinks the press and the fans have no right to know anything about his super secret mini "manhattan project" he has cooking in Florida.

If I treated my key employees the way WK treats his, I would have no one left. You can't treat your people with such disregard.

WK had no experience dealing with the press before he got this job. It shows he has not learned much about dealing with the public or his own people.

lo ryder
10-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Maybe Uncle Bob needs a right hand man to take some heat off himself for that inspiring speech he gave about winning when he took over this franchise.

Hopefully, this ship will be uprighted and this organization can regain the pride it enjoyed with the BRM. Yes, I am old enough to remember most of that era.

Blue
10-13-2007, 11:49 PM
I'd really prefer to not have buffers between the GM and the owner. However, I'm not exactly sure what "President of Baseball Operations" entails.

LincolnLandReds
10-17-2007, 11:49 PM
Sounds like an insurance policy to have Jocketty around in the event things don't go well over the winter and into next season with Wayne. But, hey, if we have both around to work out deals, GO FOR IT!!!!! Jocketty built some great teams in St. Louis and made some great trades (he got McGwire, Rolen and Walker and gave up what, exactly).