PDA

View Full Version : How About Foulke

Redus
10-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Id take a gamble if he throws well in a tryout....if hes the closer you got Burton 7th,Weathers 8th Foulke closer...hmmm sounds good.

Per Rotoworld

Free agent Keith Foulke is planning to pitch next year after having a bone spur in his elbow removed.

There was talk of this happening back in May and him then returning in the second half of the season. It didn't happen then, but he did go in for the surgery last month and he should be fully recovered for spring training. "He is definitely going to play next year," agent Danny Horwits. "He just needed to get healthy." Since there are so few quality relievers available this winter, it would be worth throwing $3 million or so at Foulke, even after a year off.

UK Reds Fan
10-13-2007, 08:57 PM
I'd have to say all extea $$$ has to go for starters...we can make a case to having an adequate BP.

Redus
10-13-2007, 11:04 PM
I dont know, IF he's healthy...and If you can throw three million at him that bullpen gets way better.

mroby85
10-13-2007, 11:32 PM
I'd have to say all extea $$$ has to go for starters...we can make a case to having an adequate BP.

I disagree, i think the BP is the biggest problem. look at all the games this season that the Reds had a lead late in the game!
I would possibly give folk a chance though, the main guys I would show interest in are mariano rivera, keeping in mind i don't know how much $ he will command, or how many years he wants. (i would sign him within reason) and scott linebrink.

Rivera had a down year this season, and saved 30/34, with a 3.15 ERA.

if you put that at the back end of the reds bullpen, bump weathers to the 8th, and burton to the 7th, i think that would win a lot of games.

UK Reds Fan
10-13-2007, 11:40 PM
If we started today, we've got in BP:
Burton
Weathers
Bray

That is a nice 3-some for the Reds on the back end of games.

Coutlangas
Salmon
Stanton (has to be there)
Coffey/Majewski
McBeth

Starters:
Harang
Arroyo
Belisle (coming an uneven year)
Bailey
Ramirez
Maloney
Cueto

Tons of question marks on the starters compared to BP at this point.

jmac
10-14-2007, 12:45 AM
if you put that at the back end of the reds bullpen, bump weathers to the 8th, and burton to the 7th, i think that would win a lot of games.

Burton deserves to stay in the 8th imo till he proves otherwise.
Weathers will be a year older plus he seemed to lose a little as the year progressed.

GoReds33
10-14-2007, 04:28 PM
The only thing that I would like about having Foulke as the closer would be that the bullpen would finally have structure. Then the players know who is going in. That really helped in 2006, after we got Eddie Guardado. When he was healthy the structure in the bullpen really helped. Maybe he is worth the 3 million dollars.

Degenerate39
10-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Isn't Foulke around 40?

GoReds33
10-14-2007, 06:04 PM
Isn't Foulke around 40?He's 34. He turns 35 later this month.:)

Degenerate39
10-14-2007, 06:18 PM
He's 34. He turns 35 later this month.:)

Hmm I guess I'm thinking of the wrong pitcher then

GoReds33
10-14-2007, 06:48 PM
Hmm I guess I'm thinking of the wrong pitcher thenI thought he was older too. He seems like he has been around for a while.:)

TC81190
10-14-2007, 07:18 PM
I'd give him the one year base million dollar salary with incentives.