PDA

View Full Version : Who Should Be #1 In College Football?

GAC
10-14-2007, 05:42 AM
After reading some of the discussions on the most powerful conference thread, while also seeing top teams getting "upset" over the last two weeks, while also facing the possibilty that OSU could be #1 in football, lets get the ball rolling.....

WHO DO YOU THINK SHOULD BE #1?

As an OSU fan I don't deny for a second, and have been stating so all season, that OSU's strength of schedule (with three teams like Akron, Youngstown State, and Kent State on it), as well as the apparent "weakness of the Big Ten (which OSU can't do anything about), that good arguments could be made that OSU shouldn't be #1 after the polls come out on Sunday night.

Some "experts" say they should. Others say it should be S. Florida because they have more quality wins then OSU with wins over then #17 Auburn, and then #5 W. Virginia.

Lou Holtz believes OSU should be #1. His defense is - "Who would you be wary of facing as an opponent right now? OSU or S. Florida?

Personally - I can't believe we are even discussing the possibility of a S. Florida being #1? :lol:

I personally think OSU will be #1. It may be a split poll with one giving it to S. Florida.

And as an avid OSU fan, like any fan, I'll be excited if OSU is #1. That's what being a fan is all about.

But this is also one wary fan. OSU is a good team, and yes, they are undefeated: but I don't think they have really been tested. And looking at their remaining games, I see the only possible test coming in the last game at Ann Arbor. I though the Illini might test them; but after watching what Iowa did to them yesterday, the Illini are too one dimemsional.

paintmered
10-14-2007, 09:42 AM
I think it will be OSU by default. South Florida's win over Central Florida is no more impressive than OSU's win over Kent.

It's been a weird year in college football.

GAC
10-14-2007, 09:56 AM
It's been a weird year in college football.

That is an understatement if there ever was one. ;)

I told a buddy the other day that California is a good team, but there is no way they are going to go undefeated looking at who is left on their schedule. And I predicted they'd lose yesterday because of the two week lay-off. Plus they still have to play some tough PAC-10 rivals yet.

The LSU loss surprised me though.

OSU is in control of their own destiny, and I don't see them losing any games the rest of the year. Of course there is always the threat of a let-down, but I don't think Tressell will allow that.

Yeah, the last game will be a contest. Never under-estimate Henne, Hart, and Manningham. But I still see OSU pulling that one out.

WMR
10-14-2007, 10:28 AM
The University of Kentucky

RBA
10-14-2007, 10:31 AM
As a PAC-10 fan, OSU is #1 by default. No way around it. Will they be number 1 after the Bowl Games? doubt it.

Spring~Fields
10-14-2007, 01:30 PM
I don’t know, I just think that there are teams out there that can beat Ohio State if they played them. So does number one or the top ten poll really mean anything as far as determining the very best teams anymore, did it ever?

OnBaseMachine
10-14-2007, 01:59 PM
OSU is number 1 in the new poll. Arizona State is 7-0 and only ranked #12 despite playing as tough a schedule if not tougher schedule than OSU. ASU needs to be ranked in the top five. Not number one, but top five.

MWM
10-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Can they just not have a #1? I think the top ranked team should be at #3. There really isn't a true #1 this year, not a single dominant team out there.

Reds Fanatic
10-14-2007, 02:10 PM
Here are the latest polls:

AP Top 25
1. Ohio State (50) 7-0 1,599
2. South Florida (11) 6-0 1,503
3. Boston College (1) 7-0 1,448
4. Oklahoma (1) 6-1 1,399
5. LSU (1) 6-1 1,331
6. South Carolina 6-1 1,247
7. Oregon 5-1 1,177
8. Kentucky 6-1 1,098
9. West Virginia 5-1 1,090
10. California 5-1 1,065
11. Virginia Tech 6-1 951
12. Arizona State (1) 7-0 948
13. USC 5-1 932
14. Florida 4-2 865
15. Kansas 6-0 664
15. Missouri 5-1 664
17. Hawaii 7-0 551
18. Auburn 5-2 488
19. Texas 5-2 348
20. Tennessee 4-2 339
21. Georgia 5-2 279
22. Texas Tech 6-1 241
23. Cincinnati 6-1 194
24. Michigan 5-2 189
25. Kansas State 4-2 107
Others Receiving Votes
Penn State 95, Virginia 85, Illinois 75, Boise State 37, Alabama 27, Wake Forest 18, Wisconsin 18, Rutgers 18, Clemson 9, Connecticut 7, Florida State 6, Maryland 6, Air Force 4, Brigham Young 2, TROY 1.
Dropped From Rankings
Illinois 18, Wisconsin 19, Florida State 21.
Complete Rankings

USA Today Poll
1. Ohio State (56) 7-0 1,495
2. Boston College (1) 7-0 1,383
3. South Florida (3) 6-0 1,320
4. Oklahoma 6-1 1,288
5. LSU 6-1 1,173
6. Oregon 5-1 1,077
7. West Virginia 5-1 1,007
8. South Carolina 6-1 997
9. California 5-1 983
9. USC 5-1 983
11. Virginia Tech 6-1 982
12. Arizona State 7-0 936
13. Kentucky 6-1 874
14. Florida 4-2 726
15. Kansas 6-0 705
16. Hawaii 7-0 558
17. Missouri 5-1 519
18. Texas 5-2 396
19. Auburn 5-2 372
20. Georgia 5-2 282
21. Texas Tech 6-1 232
22. Tennessee 4-2 193
23. Cincinnati 6-1 192
24. Virginia 6-1 184
25. Penn State 5-2 128
Others Receiving Votes
Michigan 127, Wisconsin 82, Boise State 61, Illinois 59, Kansas State 42, Rutgers 25, Purdue 19, Florida State 16, Maryland 15, Alabama 13, Wake Forest 12, Louisville 9, Clemson 9, Brigham Young 8, Michigan State 8, Connecticut 7, Fresno State 2, Wyoming 1.
Dropped From Rankings
Wisconsin 15, Illinois 19, Florida State 21, Purdue 24.
Complete Rankings

traderumor
10-14-2007, 02:23 PM
South Florida is the BCS ringer that was Boise State last year. Time for Congressional hearings, I tell ya.

Boston Red
10-14-2007, 02:36 PM
USF and Boise State are VERY different cases. Ohio State's schedule this year is closer to Boise State's from last year.

GoReds33
10-14-2007, 02:37 PM
I am not an OSU fan, but they should be first.

Heath
10-14-2007, 03:17 PM
I am not an OSU fan, but they should be first.

I'm an OSU fan and they shouldn't be first.

Too early.

Hoosier Red
10-14-2007, 03:46 PM
South Florida is the BCS ringer that was Boise State last year. Time for Congressional hearings, I tell ya.

South Florida as the current #2 team in the country controls its own destiny now. If they remain undefeated there is no way they don't play for a national title.

dougdirt
10-14-2007, 03:50 PM

Except South Florida plays in a BCS conference..... so its not even a close comparison.

KronoRed
10-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Who's the LSU homer voting in the AP poll? :dunno:

OnBaseMachine
10-14-2007, 04:35 PM

No freaking kidding. I hate LSU. They lose and only drop three spots?!? Are you kidding me? Meanwhile Kentucky only jumped four spots?

LoganBuck
10-14-2007, 04:43 PM

He probably mailed in his ballot around the five minute mark of the second quarter yesterday. :thumbup:

Like I have said before, their is no rhyme or reason to this BCS mess. A South Florida/Hawaii national championship game might finally bring this mess to its knees.

I have not been a big OSU guy all season, I saw them as young and undertalented on offense. Now I see them as a great defense, with at least an adequate offense, and good, not great, special teams. Provided they survive the rest of their schedule, considering that all the other teams can't survive theirs, why throw all the darts at them? If Florida, USC, Cal, Michigan, etc etc etc, can lose to supposedly inferior opponents, why take the shots at Ohio State for at least surviving. Stanford, Oregon State, Auburn, Appalacian State, aren't the four horsemen of the Apocalypse. Sometimes the year chooses you.

Unassisted
10-14-2007, 05:16 PM
A South Florida/Hawaii national championship game might finally bring this mess to its knees.
The fix seems to be in to prevent that scenario. The poll voters keeping Hawaii in the second 10 is doing its part to keep the BCS party exclusive. Hawaii deserves to be ranked higher, but at this rate, they'll never see #2 in '07, even if they run the table.

Boston Red
10-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Not sure why USF is being brought into this. Just because they aren't a "name"? Their resume is probably the best of anyone right now. People shouldn't even use USF in the same sentence as Hawaii.

Caveat Emperor
10-14-2007, 06:19 PM
If OSU has any sort of talent, they should have no problem walking to the National Title game. They probably have the most favorable schedule of the remaining unbeatens, and they also have the luxury of the B11 still refusing to schedule a conference championship game.

BC has VaTech on the road, but nothing else difficult to speak of on their schedule. USF has, arguably, the toughest road with Rutgers on the road, home with Cincinnati, and home with Louisville.

I'll go out on a limb and say, of the 1 loss teams, I'm most impressed with Oregon.

But really, this year is so screwy there is no number 1 team in my mind.

Hoosier Red
10-14-2007, 06:24 PM
The Big 11 can't schedule a conference championship game. You have to have 12 teams to do that.

Caveat Emperor
10-14-2007, 07:31 PM
The Big 11 can't schedule a conference championship game. You have to have 12 teams to do that.

I suppose you could just schedule an extra game where #1 and #2 play each other at the end of the year.

Or, you could get an even number of programs.

MWM
10-14-2007, 07:32 PM
I don't like the idea of conference championship games. I'm glad the Big Ten doesn't have it. I think the rest of the conferences should do away with them.

pedro
10-14-2007, 07:34 PM
I don't like the idea of conference championship games. I'm glad the Big Ten doesn't have it. I think the rest of the conferences should do away with them.

I kind of agree with you.

Personally I liked it better pre-BCS.

Caveat Emperor
10-14-2007, 07:48 PM

I don't necessarily disagree -- I just think it should go completely one way or the other. Either everyone has them, or nobody does.

KronoRed
10-14-2007, 07:59 PM
I think any conference that doesn't have a round robin schedule (everyone plays everyone else) should have one

A chapionship game that is :D

NJReds
10-14-2007, 08:06 PM
In the current system, Ohio State should be number 1.

I'd love to see two things:
1. A playoff
2. The elimination of this ridiculous overtime system. Play something that doesn't resemble a soccer shootout, or go back to having ties.

KronoRed
10-14-2007, 08:08 PM
2. The elimination of this ridiculous overtime system. Play something that doesn't resemble a soccer shootout, or go back to having ties.

I wish they would start each team at the 50, make them have to mount a drive of some sort.

NJReds
10-14-2007, 08:10 PM
I wish they would start each team at the 50, make them have to mount a drive of some sort.

Why not just play the current NFL system with the caveat that each team has to get at least one possession.

Hoosier Red
10-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Why not just play the current NFL system with the caveat that each team has to get at least one possession.

No matter whether each team gets a possession or not, it's more advantageous to get the ball first. You guarantee you'll have one more possession than the opponent.

I think each team should get it at the 50, that makes it fair and makes a team drive.

paintmered
10-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Maybe go with the NFL style but require a team to score 6 points to win the game?

NJReds
No matter whether each team gets a possession or not, it's more advantageous to get the ball first. You guarantee you'll have one more possession than the opponent.

I think each team should get it at the 50, that makes it fair and makes a team drive.

Not really. If the team with possession first doesn't score, and the team that gets the ball second scores, the game is over.

redsfan1966
I am a Buckeye fan, so I will admit to bias...but based on how the system is done...the Bucks should be number one....are they the best team in the nation? No, probably not--I think Oregon or even South Carolina could be better teams...but for now, why not?

bucksfan2
10-15-2007, 01:54 PM
OSU is getting questioned for the strength of schedule. I disagree. First off the game against Kent St. was the buy week. They do all the players and coaches a service by making it so they are finished and home for Thanksgiving. So lets replace the Kent W with a bye, does it make a difference? Second of all look who some of the top teams have lost to. Stanford and Oregon St. aren't dominant teams. Oregon St. is a middle of the pack Pac 10 team and had it handed to them agains UC in the beginning of the season. Stanford is about as good as Northwestern or Appy State is so I dont see why USC didn't drop as far as they should have.

As an OSU fan I would much rather have them sitting at #2 than #1. Do they deserve it, yes. They have dominated every team they have played. I dont know if there is another team in the country who can hold Purdue to 7 points all coming on the 2nd last play of the game. There is still this misconceptoin that the Big 10 is slow. Well take out the Florida game last season and there probably aren't too many teams who OSU can't match in terms of speed. The ironic thing about the top teams losing is that they were in games that really wern't the toughest games they played. And to be honest after watching Cal screw up the last few minutes of the game on Sat they don't deserve to be a top ranked team.

registerthis
10-15-2007, 02:12 PM
OSU is getting questioned for the strength of schedule.

I''m not questionning the schedule in the context if them being #1 this week--someone has to be #1, so it might as well be OSU--but there's little doubt that this year's schedule is among the weakest in years.

It doesn't help that there's nary a legitimate Big 10 team to be found beyond OSU--everyone else has at least two losses. Washington was a decent team, and beating them on the road was nice, but it's nothing spectacular. OSU played a good half of football against a mediocre Purdue team. Games against Penn St., Wisconsin, Mich. St. and Michigan loom, but really OSU should be able to beat all of them.

I guess my gripe is that you really don't know how good OSU truly is. They're beating the teams they are supposed to beat, but how would they fare against an Oklahoma, LSU, Florida, West Virginia or even South Florida? I honestly haven't a clue. I guess that's why they play the games.

bucksfan2
10-15-2007, 03:24 PM
I''m not questionning the schedule in the context if them being #1 this week--someone has to be #1, so it might as well be OSU--but there's little doubt that this year's schedule is among the weakest in years.

It doesn't help that there's nary a legitimate Big 10 team to be found beyond OSU--everyone else has at least two losses. Washington was a decent team, and beating them on the road was nice, but it's nothing spectacular. OSU played a good half of football against a mediocre Purdue team. Games against Penn St., Wisconsin, Mich. St. and Michigan loom, but really OSU should be able to beat all of them.

I guess my gripe is that you really don't know how good OSU truly is. They're beating the teams they are supposed to beat, but how would they fare against an Oklahoma, LSU, Florida, West Virginia or even South Florida? I honestly haven't a clue. I guess that's why they play the games.

I understand that and I too wonder how they would fare against the list above. However Oklahoma lost to a poor Colorado team, LSU has something to prove now after losing to UK, Florida is out of it losing to Auburn at home and then LSU and I do not give WVU any credit because their out of conference schedule is pretty bad as well. S. Florida is the only team with a legit gripe about being #1. You said above that OSU is beating teams they are supposed to beat well the other top teams didn't do that. Thats the big thing. OSU's schedule isn't tough but there aren't too many teams who have to go into Happy Valley and UM in the same season. I dont care how down the teams are anytime you play on an opponents turf in front of 100,000+ fans its a tough game.

registerthis
10-15-2007, 04:43 PM
OSU's schedule isn't tough but there aren't too many teams who have to go into Happy Valley and UM in the same season. I dont care how down the teams are anytime you play on an opponents turf in front of 100,000+ fans its a tough game.

Those are unquestionably tought games--they'd be tough under any circumstances. If OSU runs the table and wins in Happy Valley and Ann Arbor, I think they've earned the BCS championship game berth regardless of their non-conference schedule. But the schedule *is* an issue.

As much as I am an OSU supporter, there's a part of me that would love to see a BCS Championship between South Florida and Boston College. Or, better yet, have no teams go undefeated and watch the BCS commissioners choke on their cheerios as they try to explain to the country why teams A and B are worthy, but teams C through K are not. Hilarity would ensure.

joshnky
10-15-2007, 04:56 PM

Personally, I enjoy the current overtime system. I know it leads to inflated scores but it is certainly exciting to watch. I despise the NFL system which encourages a team to kick a field goal to win. Field goals are not the most exciting play in sports.

One possible improvement to the college overtime would be to force them to go for two throughout rather than after 2 periods. Its still a little goofy but its exciting and would limit the obscene scores and length of games.

KronoRed
10-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Last night Boise St and Nevada went to 4ots and the score was 69-61

Great game, Bill Curry was ranting how it wasn't "right"

WMR
10-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Last night Boise St and Nevada went to 4ots and the score was 69-61

Great game, Bill Curry was ranting how it wasn't "right"

Who doesn't love a good Bill Curry rant? :laugh:

Blimpie
10-15-2007, 09:06 PM
Who doesn't love a good Bill Curry rant? :laugh:The Curry hyperbole meter was off the charts last night...

Every time the Nevada frosh QB made a big play (which was often--the dude is a badass), Curry kept saying he was the "best QB in the country" and that "he would take this young man over every other QB because of his heart." This was a QB making his FIRST collegiate start last night.

The play-by-play man tried to bring Bill back down to Earth by asking, "Do you mean you would take him over UK's Andre Woodson?"

Curry's response: "Uhm, well....no."

:D

jmac
10-16-2007, 01:07 AM
Personally, I enjoy the current overtime system. I know it leads to inflated scores but it is certainly exciting to watch. I despise the NFL system which encourages a team to kick a field goal to win. Field goals are not the most exciting play in sports.

One possible improvement to the college overtime would be to force them to go for two throughout rather than after 2 periods. Its still a little goofy but its exciting and would limit the obscene scores and length of games.

Plus , maybe teams start at the 40 yard line rather than the 25.

jmac
10-16-2007, 01:10 AM
The Curry hyperbole meter was off the charts last night...

Every time the Nevada frosh QB made a big play (which was often--the dude is a badass), Curry kept saying he was the "best QB in the country" and that "he would take this young man over every other QB because of his heart." This was a QB making his FIRST collegiate start last night.

The play-by-play man tried to bring Bill back down to Earth by asking, "Do you mean you would take him over UK's Andre Woodson?"

Curry's response: "Uhm, well....no."

:D
Let me also remind you that Curry(when he actually was a coach) took Billy Jack Haskins over Tim Couch also.:rolleyes:
And if Curry had came back I am sure it would have still been Haskins and Couch would have just had to wait his turn.

Blimpie
10-16-2007, 07:44 AM
Curry also said that they should end the game in a tie after the third OT because it wasn't fair to the lineman. They were running around all game long and were tired; therefore, they were a higher injury risk.

cumberlandreds
10-16-2007, 12:55 PM
Let me also remind you that Curry(when he actually was a coach) took Billy Jack Haskins over Tim Couch also.:rolleyes:
And if Curry had came back I am sure it would have still been Haskins and Couch would have just had to wait his turn.

If Curry had come back Couch was going to transfer,probably to UT. That was the rumor anyway.

Roy Tucker
10-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Actually, if I had a vote, I vote LSU #1 still. And I'm a big Buckeye fan.

Losing in 3 OTs to UK at Lexington is no sin after beating South Carolina, Florida, and Virginia Tech. I think they are the best team in the country and will end up in the BCS title game.

If OSU wins out (a mighty big if), then they'd deserve to be in it as well.

jmac
10-16-2007, 06:09 PM
If Curry had come back Couch was going to transfer,probably to UT. That was the rumor anyway.

I heard Couch on an interview with a Tenn station the other day saying how close he was to going to Tenn. He also said he thought of transferring when Mumme came. Said Newton told him "tim, before you decide,just talk to Hal"
Couch said he went in and Mumme said " First let's get 2 things straight....1-we are gonna throw 50 passes a game and 2- you are my starting quarterback"
Tim said he got up and said "that's enough for me !" :D
I was just paraphrasing but thats mostly how it went.
As far as the thread, Ohio State probably by default. I am interested in seeing how SF does at Rutgers this week.

paintmered
10-16-2007, 06:11 PM
If OSU wins out (a mighty big if), then they'd deserve to be in it as well.

What about South Florida? If they win out, do they deserve to be in as well?

Blimpie
10-16-2007, 06:42 PM
In all fairness to Billy Curry, he favored the experience of Billy Jack Haskins over the potential talent of Tim Couch primarily because Haskins was better suited to run the option-based offense that was being used by his offensive coordinator at the time.

An offensive coordinator, by the way, who was so offensive--that I will not even refer to him by name. This guy made Mike Archer look like a genius.

No easy task.

OUReds
10-16-2007, 06:53 PM

I don't see why not. They play in a BCS conference, and the win against Auburn is as good a non-conference win as there is.

Blimpie
10-16-2007, 07:00 PM
I don't see why not. They play in a BCS conference, and the win against Auburn is as good a non-conference win as there is.Don't forget their dismantling of West Virginia who, at the time, was ranked # 3.

registerthis
10-17-2007, 12:59 PM

Absolutely they do.

Which is why the BCS is such a farce.

Roy Tucker
10-17-2007, 01:35 PM

Well, yeah. Along with BC. And OSU.

A BC-South Florida BCS championship is right up there with a Rockies-Indians World Series.

Hmmmm... somethings not right here.

RedFanAlways1966
10-18-2007, 10:27 PM
A lot of game to be played, but Rutgers giving S. Florida a game. Rutgers up 20-17 w/ 6:00 left in the 3rd quarter and has 1st-and-10 at the S. Florida 22 yard line.

RedFanAlways1966
10-18-2007, 10:31 PM
WOW... Rutgers w/ a TD on a fake FG! A perfect throw by the holder to a well covered receiver. 27-17 game.

GAC
10-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Well, yeah. Along with BC. And OSU.

A BC-South Florida BCS championship is right up there with a Rockies-Indians World Series.

Hmmmm... somethings not right here.

OUCH!

WMR
10-18-2007, 10:53 PM
WOW... Rutgers w/ a TD on a fake FG! A perfect throw by the holder to a well covered receiver. 27-17 game.

They pulled a fake punt earlier and threw a bomb!! Ballsy play-calling!!

WVPacman
10-19-2007, 01:11 AM
Don't forget their dismantling of West Virginia who, at the time, was ranked # 3.

We was ranked 5th!!

cumberlandreds
10-19-2007, 07:25 AM
You can forget about South Florida playing in the BCS championship. I really think there will be no undefeated teams this season and there will be more controversy then ever about who should be in the title game.

registerthis
10-19-2007, 10:37 AM
I really think there will be no undefeated teams this season and there will be more controversy then ever about who should be in the title game.

You know, I'm really to the point where I'd almost be fine with OSU losing to Michigan if it contributed in any way to bringing down the ridiculous BCS system.

Give me 8 BCS Conference teams with one loss and watch the circus act unfold. Should be fun.

BuckeyeRedleg
10-19-2007, 11:01 AM
You know, I'm really to the point where I'd almost be fine with OSU losing to Michigan if it contributed in any way to bringing down the ridiculous BCS system.

Give me 8 BCS Conference teams with one loss and watch the circus act unfold. Should be fun.

Are you serious?

Register, you are an OSU grad, right?

registerthis
10-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Are you serious?

Register, you are an OSU grad, right?

Yep.

But that's how much I've come to loathe the BCS.

(And note I didn't say I'd "rejoice" in a Uof M victory--just that I might be inclined to accept it as a contribution towards the "greater good".)

traderumor
10-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Yep.

But that's how much I've come to loathe the BCS.

(And note I didn't say I'd "rejoice" in a Uof M victory--just that I might be inclined to accept it as a contribution towards the "greater good".)I might be willing to give up my firstborn before that. That's just crazy talk.

Unassisted
10-19-2007, 01:42 PM

Gallant gesture, but I don't think it would help. What I do think it will take is one or two non-BCS schools going undefeated, getting excluded from the NC game and suing. We might see one piece of that puzzle fall into place if Hawaii can win out and not too many of the teams above them drop another game. Ohio State losing would be counterproductive to that scenario. ;)

Cedric
10-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Ohio State of course.
And the BCS is just fine and dandy. I'll take 12 game regular seasons over stupid playoff crapshoots. But we've been over this many many times before.

I'd also take 162 game regular seasons with the two top teams from each league in the World Series. If you want the "true" best team to win that is what you would do. Business doesn't allow it though.

And rooting for TOSU to lose to Michigan for any reason is just dumb. I'll let you rethink your position and hopefully you come to your senses.

registerthis
10-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Gallant gesture, but I don't think it would help. What I do think it will take is one or two non-BCS schools going undefeated, getting excluded from the NC game and suing. We might see one piece of that puzzle fall into place if Hawaii can win out and not too many of the teams above them drop another game. Ohio State losing would be counterproductive to that scenario. ;)

Nah, Hawaii would find themselves in the same boat as Tulane, TCU and Boise St. Undefeated, all dressed up, but nowhere to go.

I still think that the best chance of BCS Chaos is to have teams like OSU, LSU, USC, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Oregon, South Florida and Boston College ALL with one loss. Of course, it wasn't that long ago that LUS, USC and Oklahoma all went undefeated, and somehow the BCS lived on...so maybe nothing can bring down the behemothic turd.

registerthis
10-19-2007, 02:47 PM
And rooting for TOSU to lose to Michigan for any reason is just dumb.

Oh, OK. Thanks for setting me straight on that one. :rolleyes:

Cedric
10-19-2007, 02:56 PM
Oh, OK. Thanks for setting me straight on that one. :rolleyes:

Sure as hell needed it. I would never in a million years root for Ohio State to lose any game, much less Michigan. And I definately wouldn't do it for a crapshoot playoff. Playoffs stink in every sport and ruining the true unique nature of CFB is just absurd, IMO.

registerthis
10-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Sure as hell needed it. I would never in a million years root for Ohio State to lose any game, much less Michigan.

Thanks dad. You sure showed me!

registerthis
10-19-2007, 03:41 PM
I might be willing to give up my firstborn before that. That's just crazy talk.

Yeah, probably it is...but so is using complex computer algorithms to determine your champion. College football is like the bizarro world of athletics.

joshnky
10-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Playoffs stink in every sport and ruining the true unique nature of CFB is just absurd, IMO.

I know most will disagree with me but I like the current BCS setup. It gives me greater interest in every single game because I know one loss makes it nearly impossible to make the championship game. I also enjoy the other major bowls and the opportunities to see the conference champs play each other. As a Louisville fan and casual OSU fan, every one of their games is exciting to me because its sudden death. A playoff would have its advantages, but it would also diminish a great regular season where every game matters.

registerthis
10-19-2007, 04:34 PM
It gives me greater interest in every single game because I know one loss makes it nearly impossible to make the championship game.

Not this year it doesn't.

joshnky
10-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Not this year it doesn't.

It happens. This is a truly abnormal year. I think even a 4 or 8 team playoff would generate significant controversy because of the immense parity. And while we may have two one loss teams in the championship game this year that still doesn't change my feelings about the BCS. I know you disagree with me but regardless I enjoy the BCS games each year and I'm sure I will this year as well.

joshnky
10-20-2007, 03:41 PM
Is anyone deserving of the title this year?

Conference play has revealed a lot of parity as the Big East, SEC, PAC-10, and Big 12 are all beating up on themselves. Is this the year of mediocrity in college football? OSU has been heavily criticized but everyone else has disappointed while they've done as expected. Although, the way things are going they might lose to MSU today.

Matt700wlw
10-20-2007, 03:43 PM
USF deserved the #1 spot....

Until this week.

However, one could argue that based on schedules (college basketball does it) USF or LSU may still deserve it....

I like the Bucks, but they haven't played anyone.

joshnky
10-20-2007, 04:17 PM
What about West Virginia? No one has talked about them since they lost to South Florida but they continue to dominate with that dynamic offense. They've scored 21 points in nine minutes against Mississippi St. today. This is essentially the same team that has played impressively the past two years and would likely be undefeated if Pat White hadn't gotten injured in the 1st half against USF.

GAC
10-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Maybe the title of this thread should be "Who Is No.2?" :lol:

#6 South Carolina goes down to Vanderbilt
#7 Kentucky goes down to Florida
#12 California loses to UCLA (I really called this one)

West Virginia is looking tough.

Caveat Emperor
10-20-2007, 08:30 PM
And rooting for TOSU to lose to Michigan for any reason is just dumd.

This statement actually underscores my own personal reason for rooting for the College of Columbus™ to lose to Michigan:

It would make a lot of people really mad. :D

Playoffs stink in every sport and ruining the true unique nature of CFB is just absurd, IMO.

You're right, I hate the excitement, drama, and compelling matchups of March Madness too. ;)

OnBaseMachine
10-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Off topic but Oregon has rushed for nearly 500 yards tonight. Wow.

MWM
10-20-2007, 11:19 PM
I totally get what reg is saying. Of course, it's all completely hypothetical and fantasy, but if you could promise me that by Ohio State losing to Michigan and costing them a National Championship, that the BCS would be abolished and a playoff instituted, I'd take the deal. I loather the BCS as much as anything in all of sports.

jmcclain19
10-21-2007, 12:29 AM
As much as I dislike OSU - they keep winning so they are the defacto No. 1.

I wouldn't be shocked to see everyone outside of Honolulu lose at least once this season. What a delightful mess for the BCS to sort out.

OnBaseMachine
10-21-2007, 12:34 AM
Once again LSU's refs cheat for them. Pathetic. Les Miles whines and cries so much that he now has refs on his side. I'm tired of referees deciding the outcomes of games.

MWM
10-21-2007, 12:41 AM
As much as I dislike OSU - they keep winning so they are the defacto No. 1.

I wouldn't be shocked to see everyone outside of Honolulu lose at least once this season. What a delightful mess for the BCS to sort out.

I understand why peope don't like OSU. I really do. But I continue to be amazed that no one wants to actually admit that they're a damn good team. They're good. They're REAL good. You don't have to like them, but at least admit that they're good. Regardless of who they've played, they've LOOKED excellent all year. If you haven't actually sat and watched them a couple of times this year, you should not be discrediting them as a team. If you're doing nothing more than looking at their schedule and assuming they must not be very good, you're sorely mistaken. I've seen all the top tier teams play at least once this year, and there isn't one of them I look at think OSU couldn't play with them. They might not win, but there's nobody out there who's clearly better.

MWM
10-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Once again LSU's refs cheat for them. Pathetic. Les Miles whines and cries so much that he now has refs on his side. I'm tired of referees deciding the outcomes of games.

I watched the entire second half of that game, and I'm not sure what calls you're referring to? is it the bad spot? That's the only thing I can think of that had an impact on the game.

OnBaseMachine
10-21-2007, 12:46 AM
I watched the entire second half of that game, and I'm not sure what calls you're referring to? is it the bad spot? That's the only thing I can think of that had an impact on the game.

Yes, that spot. It should have been 4th down. It was even close and they gave him the first down. Pathetic. And on LSU's first TD of the 4th quarter, they threw a flag on LSU and then after reviewing the play they waved the flag off. You can't do that. But the spot was mainly what I was referring to. How pathetic. Tuberville made some horrible coaching decisions and dserved to lose because of them, but that doesn't give the refs the right to screw them like they did.

MWM
10-21-2007, 12:50 AM
It would have been 4th and less than a yard. It probably didn't make much difference.

And what about that cheap shot on Dorsey by the Auburn offensive lineman. That was as dirty a hit as I've seen. Would Auburn have been able to drive down late in that game with Dorsey in the game. The Auburn QB had all day to throw that drive. I doubt that happens with Dorsey in the game. Auburn's offense is pretty bad.

WMR
10-21-2007, 12:57 AM
Steve Spurrier threw a shot at OSU in his press conference: "If Vandy had scheduled some cream puffs, they'd be 6-0, just like Ohio State." :laugh:

Spurrier now 14-1 versus Vandy.

MWM
10-21-2007, 01:06 AM
I do recognize that there are some good offenses in the Pac-10, but does ANYONE know how to play defense out there?

WMR
10-21-2007, 01:08 AM
USC found a way to shut down the offensive behemoth that is Notre Dame. :laugh:

OnBaseMachine
10-21-2007, 01:44 AM
I do recognize that there are some good offenses in the Pac-10, but does ANYONE know how to play defense out there?

We play defense about how the Big-10 plays offense. ;)

AmarilloRed
10-21-2007, 01:53 AM
Ohio State has a very good defense and can also score some points. A team will have to play their very best to beat Ohio State going down the stretch. I will be watching to see if there is another team that will seriously challenge them for the no.1 ranking.

WMR
10-21-2007, 04:38 AM
I must say, no one deserves to be #1 right now more than Ohio State. They truly do control their own destiny... some others have made the point: sometimes the year picks you... this could be one of those years for the buckeyes.

jmcclain19
10-21-2007, 05:25 AM
I must say, no one deserves to be #1 right now more than Ohio State. They truly do control their own destiny... some others have made the point: sometimes the year picks you... this could be one of those years for the buckeyes.

I wouldn't count on it. They played their first real team today and struggled to get a win.

Don't be shocked if Illinois, Wisconsin & Michigan don't get their lumps in and pull off at least one, if not more victories.

I picked Wisconsin to run the table this year so hopefully they prove they can at least play with the top dogs before the season is out.

GAC
10-21-2007, 06:17 AM
I wouldn't count on it. They played their first real team today and struggled to get a win.

Michigan State is a real team? We were told that going into the Purdue game too (who, at the time, had the Big 10'S #1 offense overall). It was predicted to be a possible upset. OSU shut them down 27-7. I am one of the first to acknowledge that I am wary of this OSU team. I think their defense is better then last year's though. The only reason yesterday's game was a close as it was, was because of two very uncharacteristic turnovers by OSU in the 3rd quarter, which MSU's defense capitalized on for 14 pts.

The #1 ranked scoring offense in the Big 10, which is currently MSU, put a FG on the board and was held to under 200 total yards.

Don't be shocked if Illinois, Wisconsin & Michigan don't get their lumps in and pull off at least one, if not more victories.

I'm assuming you're referring to OSU's games remaining? If so, then you left out next week's matchup with Penn State.

OSU got rattled in the 3rd quarter yesterday. No doubt. I want them to get rattled and possibly "woke up". They need to get in some tough battles this year to test their mettle IMO. Next week's game vs Penn State (at PSU) is going to be that battle IMO. Gonna be a hard fought game and OSU's biggest test up to this point of the season IMO. But I think OSU will pull it out (24-16 is my prediction).

I like Illinois, and thought they might give OSU at test. I really am impressed with their RB Mendenhall. But their passing game with Juice Williams makes them pretty one dimensional.

It's still going to come down to the last game of the season IMO - OSU at Michigan. I don't care what the records and stats say. Throw them out.

But if OSU were to play a West Virginia, or even a Kentucky right now. I don't know if they would win IMO. That is just how unsure I am of this OSU team. Solid defense, efficient offense.... but still wary.

MWM
10-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Struggled to get the win? Come on, jm, you're smarter than this. We get that you hate OSU. That's fine, that's part of sports. We all have teams we just can't stand. But come on, dude. Did you watch the game? If you dislike them so much, it's not likely that you've taken a lot of time to watch them this year. Outside of two bonehead plays, they dominated from start to finish. They outgained MSU 422 - 185. And MSU might not be a great team, but their offense has been good all year. They managed to score a single field goal. The score was 24 - 0 in the middle of the third quarter. They didn't "struggle". They made a couple of mistakes that hurt them, but they were never really threatened.

People are WAY overblowing this "soft schedule" thing when it comes to the Bucks. One thing this year should have taught all of us is that it's not easy to win every game, even if your schedule isn't incredibly tough. And OSU has pretty much dominated every opponent up until today. And even though the final score was fairly close, if you watched the game, the two teams weren't close. It's not easy to go out and play that well every week. Even I was a skeptic most of the year, but I've become a convert. This team's defense is outstanding. The best in the country, IMO. And the offense has one of the best RBs in the country, two really good WRs, and a strong O-line. Add to that a QB who is smart and doesn't make a lot of mistakes and you've got a pretty good, but not great, offense.

They're legit, no matter how much people hate OSU. They're as good as anyone. They might not beat a few of the top tier teams if they were to actually play, but there's no one out there this year where you'd go into a game with them thinking they're clear underdogs. They could lose to a few of the teams out there, but they're also capable of beating them, too. They've given up 4 TDs this entire season on defense. They might very well lose, but if I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet on it.

MWM
10-21-2007, 12:03 PM
But if OSU were to play a West Virginia, or even a Kentucky right now. I don't know if they would win IMO. That is just how unsure I am of this OSU team. Solid defense, efficient offense.... but still wary.

Those are two teams I don't think could play with OSU simply because they're one diminsional. Their offenses are good enough that they woudl actually put some points on the board. But they wouldn't put up high point totals. OSU's defense is good enough to slow them down and keep their point total reasonable. But both defenses wouldn't be able to keep OSU's offense from scoring.

The teams that could beat OSU are the ones who are more balanced. I think they'd struggle to beat USC or LSU. I think they'd struggle against Oregon as well. I know that they're not that balanced, and their defense is pretty bad, but they have the best offense in the country, IMO. Even Ohio State's defense would have a hard time slowing them down.

But all that said, I think Michigan could beat them at home this year, assuming Mike Hart plays.

Caveat Emperor
10-21-2007, 12:13 PM
I think they'd struggle to beat USC or LSU. I think they'd struggle against Oregon as well.

I think you can probably add Florida to that list as well.

If I could dream-schedule a game right now, I'd want Florida to play Oregon. It'd probably end up looking like a PS2 game with the difficulty turned WAAAYYY down.

MWM
10-21-2007, 12:15 PM
I think you can probably add Florida to that list as well.

If I could dream-schedule a game right now, I'd want Florida to play Oregon. It'd probably end up looking like a PS2 game with the difficulty turned WAAAYYY down.

Yeah, I knew I was missing someone. Florida is the other team they'd struggle with.

RBA
10-21-2007, 12:24 PM
I thought Vanderbilt was an all girls school. ;)

GAC
10-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Let me ask you MWM.....

Do you see similarities between this OSU offense, especially at the QB position (Boeckman = Krenzel as far as not being spectacular, but very smart/efficient) vs the '02 championship squad?

I really think this year's defensive squad is the best under Tressel's tenure.

Caseyfan21
10-21-2007, 09:14 PM
Let me ask you MWM.....

Do you see similarities between this OSU offense, especially at the QB position (Boeckman = Krenzel as far as not being spectacular, but very smart/efficient) vs the '02 championship squad?

I think some of the comparisons are valid in terms of relying on the defense and younger players at the offensive skill positions, but Tressel trusts Boeckman more than he did Krenzel IMO. The offense is much more open than the 2002 offense, especially passing wise. Maybe with Beanie emerging against MSU Tress will get more conservative but so far he hasn't been afraid to throw the ball down field.

Krenzel only threw 12 TD passes during the entire 2002 season. Boeckman already has thrown for 18 TD's so far this season. Both defenses were great but I'd save making comparisons until we get through the next month of games against PSU, Illionois, Wisconsin, and Michigan.

MWM
10-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Let me ask you MWM.....

I think this offense might be a little better simply because Boekman is better than Krenzel. He just wasn't that good.

And this defense might be better as well. the similarities are there, no question.

Cedric
10-21-2007, 11:52 PM
Boeckman is better than Krenzel? Not sure just yet. Physically and arm strength/accuracy isn't not close. Craig Krenzel though had much better mobility and didn't turn the ball over. Is Boeckman going to do that when he faces a real defense? That is the test for this season, IMO.
The Oline in 02 was better though. Cordle and Person will and have struggled to get any push against good fronts. Steve Rehring is also going to completely blow his assignment once or twice a game. The 02 line didn't get great pushes either, but they usually gave Krenzel as much time as he needed. This line at times has made some major mistakes.

The defense is in no way better, IMO. That Miami team was loaded with offensive superstars and the Buckeyes dominated their front. Miami had a great college Qb and had pro players almost everywhere but the interior line. Dustin Fox might be a notch below Donald Washington and Donnie Nickey is below Russel. But the front four was absolutely amazing and Gamble/Doss played great. Jenkins and Kurt Coleman are complete studs also, just I'll give the slight edge to 02 because they proved it against an incredible offense and the front four was dominating.

I love the depth and talent of this years defense front, I just don't see the maturity and domination that Darrion Scott, Tim Anderson, Kenny Peterson, and Will Smith provided. Marcus Green was also a great backup. All 11 players that started on that defense were drafted into the NFL. How amazing is that?

This years team won't be able to say that I don't think. I'm not knocking this group at all, I just can't say they compare yet. Larrimore, Gholston, Denlinger, and Wilson/Rose are great players, just much less experience. At LB the Buckeyes have better players this year though, I just get extremely worried about Marcus Freeman in space. For a SAM he has some serious tackling issues in space. I just take Dline domination over everything else. It's the most important group of players on any football team, IMO.

Clarett is light years better than Beanie Wells also. Wells is gonna be a very good player, but other than MSU he hasn't shown near the vision that Maurice did.

AmarilloRed
10-22-2007, 12:22 AM
I think the game with Michigan State was so close mainly because of the turnovers. I think that will be the real weakness Ohio State has this year. As long as they don't beat themselves with turnovers, they have a good chance to win most games if not dominate.

Cedric
10-22-2007, 12:30 AM
I think the game with Michigan State was so close mainly because of the turnovers. I think that will be the real weakness Ohio State has this year. As long as they don't beat themselves with turnovers, they have a good chance to win most games if not dominate.

There is no "I think" about it. Michigan State would have never scored without the turnovers. Turnovers shouldn't be a problem with a Tressel led team though. I just think it was a young team learning a lesson. Can't relax at any point in a game.