PDA

View Full Version : What this means for the other coaches?

Jim Fazio
10-14-2007, 11:06 AM
I guess they are gone right? Anybody know the deal?

Chi-Town Red
10-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Dick Pole should be bye-bye

goreds2
10-14-2007, 11:47 AM

Is Roger Craig still alive?

jnwohio
10-14-2007, 12:23 PM

Are you sure? He worked for Dusty back in Frisco in the mid '90's. Don't know on what basis they parted ways.

Degenerate39
10-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Hopefully a new bullpen coach

GoReds33
10-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Hopefully a new bullpen coachLeo Mazzone?

ThirdBaseCoach
10-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Here is my guess.

Bill Hatcher stays
Dick Pole stays, either bench coach or pitching coach.
At third base will be the best third base coach in history and my personal hero - the famous Wendell Kim.

the rest will be Dusty's boys

Degenerate39
10-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Leo Mazzone?

That's fine by me

BEETTLEBUG
10-14-2007, 03:04 PM
I agree with Leo as pitching coach Pole as bullpen coach and Hatcher rest new ones.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Look for Gary Matthews Sr. and Gene Clines to show up somewhere.

GoReds33
10-14-2007, 05:46 PM
I agree with Leo as pitching coach Pole as bullpen coach and Hatcher rest new ones.I wouldn't keep Pole. I think that bullpen coach is a position where the fans really don't see the influence that they have. Hopefully Baker knows of somebody better.:)

BEETTLEBUG
10-14-2007, 05:59 PM
OK

Old NDN
10-15-2007, 12:22 AM
How about Griffey Sr. as a coach, to help pacify Jr.?

stevekun
10-15-2007, 12:28 AM
Barry Larkin?

durl
10-15-2007, 12:37 AM

:rolleyes:

jimbo
10-15-2007, 01:16 AM

Only in the Sun Deck.

AmarilloRed
10-15-2007, 01:34 AM
I think the hitting coach should be safe.

10-15-2007, 05:18 AM
I know Dusty will want to pick his own staff, but if he named Sam Perlozzo as bench coach, then Leo Mazzone would probably follow him as the pitching coach. That is why Leo went to the Orioles in the first place, he wanted to work with his good friend Sam.
Perlozzo would also make a great bench coach by himself. I believe he was the third base coach here under Pinella and followed him to Seattle as his bench coach.
And Mazzone as pitching coach...we might actually be able to develop pitchers.

BEETTLEBUG
10-15-2007, 06:50 AM
Good choices.

Blue
10-15-2007, 09:00 AM
The pitching coach will almost certainly be Dick Pole. He and Dusty Baker worked together for several years in San Francisco.

TheWalls
10-15-2007, 10:22 AM
Here is my guess.

Bill Hatcher stays
Dick Pole stays, either bench coach or pitching coach.
At third base will be the best third base coach in history and my personal hero - the famous Wendell Kim.

the rest will be Dusty's boys

"WAVIN'" WENDELL KIM SUCKS!

BigJohn
10-15-2007, 01:55 PM
I love Sarge!!!

AmarilloRed
10-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Coaching staff could have some carryover
BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

Dusty Baker on Monday said he expects some Reds coaches to return next season.

"Some of (the staff) is together already," Baker said. "We've got to see who's available. I don't want wholesale changes because you've got to start all over again.

"These (players) have had too many coaches in a short period of time."

Baker used a football analogy to explain his philosophy: "I read about quarterbacks who have had five coordinators in five years. Everybody has different philosophies. I'd like to keep some of the guys here to keep what they had going."

Reds pitching coach Dick Pole was Baker's pitching coach with the Giants from 1993-97 and his bullpen coach with the Cubs from 2003-05. He was Baker's bench coach in 2006.

This was Pole's first year as the Reds' pitching coach. Third base coach Mark Berry, first base coach Billy Hatcher, bullpen coach Tom Hume and hitting coach Brook Jacoby also were part of former Reds manager Jerry Narron's staff. Pat Kelly replaced Bucky Dent as the bench coach when Narron was fired.

General manager Wayne Krivsky would like to resolve the coaching staff issue quickly.

"We're going to sit down and discuss it," Krivksy said. "... I wanted to get this done sooner than later."

"The coaching staff is very important. I'm sensitive to the fact that they're in limbo."

Pole spoke to Baker last week. "We really didn't get into that (a coaching position)," Pole said. "I'll talk to him in the next few days."

Berry hadn't talked to anyone yet but is open to staying with the club in another position.

"After 24 years, that's something I'd definitely like to do," Berry said.

I would imagine at least some of the coaches should be returning.

ChatterRed
10-16-2007, 08:50 PM
How about Tony Perez, Joe Morgan, Davey Concepcion and Cesar Geronimo as coaches? ;)

Degenerate39
10-16-2007, 09:56 PM
How about Tony Perez, Joe Morgan, Davey Concepcion and Cesar Geronimo as coaches? ;)

And George Foster as Adam Dunn's personal coach

Old NDN
10-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Only in the Sun Deck.

Oops. Sorry. I thought I was allowed to have an opinion (w/sarcasm) on this board. Let me clarify. I think Griffey sr. would make a fine coach, if his health permits. He just might be able to improve Jr.'s perceived attitude towards hustle, leadership, media, etc.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Oops. Sorry. I thought I was allowed to have an opinion (w/sarcasm) on this board......... .

turn down the sensitivity meter, bro.

Old NDN
10-17-2007, 08:39 PM
turn down the sensitivity meter, bro.

Thanks 3rd. I feel better now.

mole44
10-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Oops. Sorry. I thought I was allowed to have an opinion (w/sarcasm) on this board. .

Not if it offends the important people from the ORG you're not...

AmarilloRed
10-18-2007, 12:41 AM
An off day, coaches, and the UFC

Took almost all of yesterday off. We could see coaching moves today. I think Dick Pole will be back, whether it's pitching coach or bench coach is the question. Brook Jacoby could be safe based on what Dusty Baker said about continuity. And really what hitter -- other than David Ross -- had a down year?

As for the others, I have no clue. Mark Berry would like to stay in the organization. That Double-A managing job is something he's done before.

From Fay's Blog. It seems Dick Pole and Brook Jacoby should be back, just might not be with the same jobs they had. Mark Berry will likely stay in the organization, but he might not be the third base coach. The others may or may not be back. Tom Hume was a good reliever in the Big Red Machine days, but someone will have to pay for the bullpen's poor performance this year. It may very well be we will have a new bullpen coach next year.

AmarilloRed
10-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Reds Insider
From news of the day to news of the weird, John Fay provides a glimpse of what it’s like to cover the Cincinnati Reds

John Fay
John Fay has been the Reds beat writer for the Enquirer since 2001. Prior to that, he served in a variety of roles for the Enquirer: backup Reds writer, UC beat writer, backup Bengals writer and as a general assignment reporter. He is a Cincinnati native and a graduate of Elder High School and the University of Dayton.

Previous Post

Thursday, October 18, 2007
Talking to Baker

I just got off the phone with Dusty Baker. I was lucky to get through.

"Man, this phone has been blowing up," Baker said. "My voice mail holds 29 messages. Every time I clear off 29, I get 29 more."

Baker is hearing from job seekers as well as people simply congratulating him. He's wrapping up putting his staff together. He wouldn't name names. "I don't want guys to read it in the paper," he said. But it will probably be done by tomorrow.

He did say talked to Rick Kranitz, the former Marlins pitching coach ended up going to Baltimore. That means Dick Pole, a long-time Baker staffer, could be be back in a position over than pitching coach.

"I talked to Kranny," he said. "I've talked to a lot of people. You want to make sure you get the right guys."

Former Atlanta pitching coach Leo Mazzone is out there.

I've got to give Richard Skinner credit for this one. He mentioned Dave Duncan's situation when I was doing a show with the Two Angry Guys. If Tony LaRussa decides to take a year off, Duncan may become available -- although he's under contract in St. Louis.

Baker reiterated that there will be some carry over from the current staff.

It sounds like hitting coach Brook Jacoby will probably be back.

"I read where Adam Dunn said he has four batting coaches in four years or something like that," Baker said. "You don't want that. It takes time to build trust. It's really a one- or two-year process. You don't want to start over."

Baker also alluded to bringing in "an infield guy."

posted by John Fay at 12:17 PM

I got this from Fay's Blog. A couple of thoughts: 1. Brook Jacoby will be back as the hitting coach 2. Dick Pole will be back, but not as the pitching coach 3. Is there such a thing as an infield coach? 4. We are going to see a new pitching coach in Cincinnati