PDA

View Full Version : Are you happy with the Reds new choice for manager?

Degenerate39
10-14-2007, 12:21 PM
I'm going to have to wait and see

CRedsLarkin11
10-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Yeah, me too. This was my approach regardless of who it ended up being. We as Reds fans have haven't had a whole lot to look forward to the last decade, so why not wait and see?

RedR8R
10-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Hey everybody, new to the board. Initially, not happy with the decision. From my limited knowledge, I only remember Dusty taking good teams to the playoffs and losing, burning up arms and making insensitive comments about white players. Seems to me that the organization could have waited a little longer and been more thorough in the hiring process. Didn't hear many other big names discussed throughout the process. I would have liked to have seen somebody else, Dusty was doing fine being an analyst.

WMR
10-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Dusty is a reverse racist.

Horrible manager.

Not even likable.

I would have preferred Mackanin 10000x over Dusty.

GoReds33
10-14-2007, 01:41 PM
I think that Dusty would have been my fourth of fifth choice. I would rather of had LaRussa. I would have rather had Mackanian, but most of all I would rather have waited to see what would be out there.

RedsFanInMobile
10-14-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm not thrilled with this choice, have never been a big Dusty Baker fan. I would have preferred that Pete was given a shot a full season with the club. Of course, until we get some pitching help I don't really think it's going to matter much who manages the team.

rotnoid
10-14-2007, 03:48 PM
I'll go with wait and see. My initial response was negative, but the guy is a winner. Lots of people were asking for a big name, and, well, now we got it. Let's see what follows. A guy like Dusty Baker most likely isn't going to sit by and accept that the market took the Reds out of the free agent race (the excuse we got last year). So, for that reason it might work out for the better. We'll see though.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Dusty's a great dude, man.

jnwohio
10-14-2007, 04:42 PM
I'll go with wait and see. My initial response was negative, but the guy is a winner. Lots of people were asking for a big name, and, well, now we got it. Let's see what follows. A guy like Dusty Baker most likely isn't going to sit by and accept that the market took the Reds out of the free agent race (the excuse we got last year). So, for that reason it might work out for the better. We'll see though.

I guess the thought that he might bring credibility in the sense that some player would now come to Cincy who wouldn't have before is about the only positive I see at this point. But would it be a player who can help out?

Along the same lines did he get a committment from Castellini that salary budget woudl be increased.

stevekun
10-14-2007, 05:25 PM
I think this is better than Keepking Mack....Baker might not be the best ever but he is a proven winner

ThirdBaseCoach
10-14-2007, 05:33 PM
I think this is better than Keepking Mack....Baker might not be the best ever but he is a proven winner

roflmao

AmarilloRed
10-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Dusty has made some past mistakes as manager, but I will take the wait-and-see approach and see if he improves the team.

T7-niner
10-14-2007, 07:37 PM
What can you do really, but go with the wait-and-see route? Just go out and say Baker's here and now I hate the Reds?

Gimme a break...I think there are a lot of people here that are being just a touch melodramatic.

They could hire Satan, any member of the Bush family, or Al Sharpton as a manager and I'd still love the Reds. Hiring Dusty Baker doesn't prompt me to find the highest ledge to jump off of.

ChatterRed
10-14-2007, 07:38 PM
I wasn't that crazy about any of the candidates, so I'll just have to wait and see.

Stephenk29
10-14-2007, 07:55 PM
I think Dusty gets pretty bad rap from his days in Chicago. Wood seemed destined to destroy his shoulder with or without Baker at the helms. I've seen a few people talk about him getting to the playoffs and not being able to win. Not everyone can be Joe Torre and win nearly every time out there. I'm rather apathetic towards the Reds right now and their decision for manager. I personally don't think its going to matter, I can't see us being a whole lot better next year if we don't get some pitching. My biggest question was why did we hire a manager so soon? The season is not over yet and who knows who is going to become available. I don't see Larussa or Torre coming here but who knows. If they would have waited another month and hired Baker I think I would have been more ok with it.

Natty Redlocks
10-14-2007, 07:58 PM
What can you do really, but go with the wait-and-see route? Just go out and say Baker's here and now I hate the Reds?

Gimme a break...I think there are a lot of people here that are being just a touch melodramatic.

They could hire Satan, any member of the Bush family, or Al Sharpton as a manager and I'd still love the Reds. Hiring Dusty Baker doesn't prompt me to find the highest ledge to jump off of.

Please God send us Satan

T7-niner
10-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Please God send us Satan

The way people are acting you'd think we just hired Hitler...Seriously.

justincredible
10-14-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm in wait and see mode. Not overly thrilled but the sky certainly isn't falling. I am glad to see they went outside of the organization, hopefully they got the right guy.

gedred69
10-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Dusty's a great dude, man.

Are you the same he/she on the other thread who said Reds Fans were getting what they deserve in a "name" mgr, revealing that you're a Cubs fan, and he would lead the Reds to even further "oblivion"? (I believe that was the word used). I think you are playing with Redszone participants for your own perverse amusement.

Degenerate39
10-14-2007, 09:15 PM
Are you the same he/she on the other thread who said Reds Fans were getting what they deserve in a "name" mgr, revealing that you're a Cubs fan, and he would lead the Reds to even further "oblivion"? (I believe that was the word used). I think you are playing with Redszone participants for your own perverse amusement.

Cubs fans don't stop at invading GABP so I wouldn't be surprised if some Cubs fans were actually at this site.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-14-2007, 10:31 PM
The way people are acting you'd think we just hired Hitler...Seriously.

wait until he has a bad run and plays the race card, or complains about the announcers, or the fans. you'll see, dude.

nmculbreth
10-14-2007, 10:57 PM
He doesn't understand the virtue of high OBP hitters, has a history of overusing his starters and tends to play veterans over younger players... I can't think of a worse fit for this organization.

Astrobuddy
10-14-2007, 10:59 PM
Reversed racist>? No.. he is just a racist and a bad baseball manager and a meat grinder with young pitchers.

I voted Yes. I am happy for the Astros that Dusty is the Reds new manager.

Degenerate39
10-14-2007, 11:00 PM
He doesn't understand the virtue of high OBP hitters, has a history of overusing his starters and tends to play veterans over younger players... I can't think of a worse fit for this organization.

Over the last day I've seen a lot of things about Dusty but how can you overuse guys like Corey Patterson and Mark Prior but at the same time play the veterans over the younger players.

nmculbreth
10-14-2007, 11:04 PM
On a semi-related note I'd be interested to hear if the Reds front office is going to impose mandatory pitch counts for guys like Bailey and Cueto similar to what the Red Sox did with Clay Buchholz and the Yankees did with Joba Chamberlain.

Degenerate39
10-14-2007, 11:07 PM
On a semi-related note I'd be interested to hear if the Reds front office is going to impose mandatory pitch counts for guys like Bailey and Cueto similar to what the Red Sox did with Clay Buchholz and the Yankees did with Joba Chamberlain.

So far the Reds have babied Bailey I don't see that changing now

nmculbreth
10-14-2007, 11:26 PM
Over the last day I've seen a lot of things about Dusty but how can you overuse guys like Corey Patterson and Mark Prior but at the same time play the veterans over the younger players.

Off the top of my head... Phil Nevin platooning with Matt Murton, starting Tony Womack at 2B last season after picking him up from the Reds...

jimbo
10-14-2007, 11:42 PM
......starting Tony Womack at 2B last season after picking him up from the Reds...

Womack only started in a total 12 games last season for the Cubs. Not a fair criticism.

durl
10-15-2007, 12:06 AM
I admit I'm not thrilled but there's nothing I can do about it. I just hope the team does well and Dusty doesn't embarrass the Reds organization with his comments.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-15-2007, 01:52 AM
I admit I'm not thrilled but there's nothing I can do about it. I just hope the team does well and Dusty doesn't embarrass the Reds organization with his comments.

It won't and he will.

You have a lot to look forward to....sweatbands, arguments for no reason, and a lot of hey dudes.

WMR
10-15-2007, 02:03 AM
It won't and he will.

You have a lot to look forward to....sweatbands, arguments for no reason, and a lot of hey dudes.

C'mon Pete, enough with the sour grapes.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-15-2007, 09:34 AM
C'mon Pete, enough with the sour grapes.

WMR.....just stating the obvious from watching DB in Chicago for four years, dude.

TheWalls
10-15-2007, 10:21 AM
This is a HORRIBLE hire.

The Reds greatest weaknesses recently have been (in no particular order): pitching/managing of the staff, defense, and situational hitting.

Dusty's Cubs teams in recent years greatest weaknesses were (in no particular order): pitching/managing of the staff, defense, and situational hitting.

We DO NOT need a players manager here! Don't you think Dunn and Junior (and Larkin before them) have been coddled enough? We need a manager that insists on a high level of performance every game and requires smart baseball. That is exactly what we DID NOT get.

I have been a Reds fan for almost forty years and I cannot fathom this move. It has the potential of not only ensuring our futility of the Reds for another three years, but seriously setting back the careers of young studs like Bailey, Phillips, Votto, and Bruce. Look at how he screwed up Corey Patterson, Prior, Pie and Theriot and some of the young talent the Cubs have/had.

stevekun
10-15-2007, 12:03 PM
I really believe that no matter what the choice for manager no one here would be happy

robmadden1
10-15-2007, 12:28 PM
I have allways loved Dusty baker. I remember when he was in San fran. I did not know his name back then but I do remember his face lol.

WMR
10-15-2007, 12:33 PM
I have allways loved Dusty baker. I remember when he was in San fran. I did not know his name back then but I do remember his face lol.

His face has always reminded me of the Cheshire Cat.

Carolina Red
10-15-2007, 02:45 PM
I just don't understand what the rush was. Why not wait and see what Torre was going to do? I am very disappointed and I seriously doubt I will be spending any of my money on Reds tickets for the next 3 years.

ChatterRed
10-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Well after listening to sportstalk all morning, I'll take the opinions of Brantley, Brennaman, and others over the hearsay crap I've been reading on this board.

I wasn't all that thrilled at first, but now I feel alot better.

As for what happened in Chicago, Brantlely said Kerry Wood has the worst mechanics of any pitcher he's ever seen and his arm was messed up before Dusty came into the picture. Also said that Prior's strange workouts had more to do with his arm troubles than anything Dusty ever did.

Brantley has more inside knowledge than anyone on this board. I know some people don't like Brantley, but I think he's very knowledgeable. Also Marty Brennaman has had good things to say about Dusty too. I don't really like Marty, but I know he's been around major league baseball circles a long time and would have more insider knowledge than anyone on this board.

This isn't a bad hire.

As for what happened in Chicago. Remember, it's the Cubs. That organization, fan base, and everything about that place is a nightmare for anyone. I'm sure Dusty is glad it's over too. I would be.

stevekun
10-15-2007, 03:09 PM
I just don't understand what the rush was. Why not wait and see what Torre was going to do? I am very disappointed and I seriously doubt I will be spending any of my money on Reds tickets for the next 3 years.

What would it matter what Torre did? He would cost way too much money anyways....Its always better to get this done early in the offseason so we can plan player signings etc. It wasn't rushed by the way...it has been months since we fired our last manager

DannyB
10-15-2007, 05:55 PM
I really believe that no matter what the choice for manager no one here would be happy

I am happy!!!!
Not that I am a Dusty fan,but I still remember Bob Boone,Dave Miley,and Jerry Narron. I didnt really care who got the job,I figured it would be an improvement.

Vada Pinson Fan
10-15-2007, 07:42 PM
With the Managers that were Definitely Available at this time (not La Russa and not Torre) I think Castellini and Krivsky made a good move by signing Baker. How good a move it is will depend on Dusty willing to learn from his past managing mistakes, employ what works for him, the ability to get the most out of a few "Fat Cat" ballplayers the Reds have and have BCast/Krivsky release them/eat the contract(s). I favor Baker and his 3 Manager of the Year awards over Girardi, Brenley and Mackanin.

This team needs good luck to set in but to a certain extent you create your own luck. Here's to wishing Dusty all the best! I hope he plays our young players- namely Votto, Bruce and Bailey and not ignore them.

Trace's Daddy
10-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Why are people calling Dusty a racist? What did he do or say?

Newport Red
10-15-2007, 10:37 PM
Why are people calling Dusty a racist? What did he do or say?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/nl/cubs/2003-07-07-baker_x.htm

Baker stands by heat comments
By Chuck Johnson, USA TODAY
Chicago Cubs manager Dusty Baker, dismissing suggestions he made a racist assertion when speaking with reporters about day baseball, stands by his comments that black and Hispanic players are better suited to playing in the sun and heat than white players.

Cubs manager Dusty Baker didn't back down from his comments, but he also won't address it any further after this.
By Aynsley Floyd, AP

"I'm not playing the race card. I'm telling it like it is," Baker said by telephone Monday.

"What I meant is that blacks and Latins take the heat better than most whites, and whites take the cold better than most blacks and Latins. That's it, pure and simple. Nothing deeper than that."

Harry Edwards, a sports sociologist who served on the faculty at the University of California-Berkeley for 30 years, called the comments "unfortunate and not totally informed" but said they weren't malicious.

"Dusty and I go back a long way, and Dusty by no means is enamored with ethnic or racial stereotypes," Edwards said. "If we didn't have a race issue in this country, that statement would have little or no consequence. But we do have a race issue."

Baker, whose Cubs play a majority of their home games in the daytime, made his comments Saturday.

"It's easier for most Latin guys and it's easier for most minority people because most of us come from heat," Baker said. "You don't find too many brothers in New Hampshire and Maine and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. ... We were brought over here for the heat, right? Isn't that history? Weren't we brought over because we could take the heat?"

Tony Bernazard, a former major leaguer from Puerto Rico who is special assistant for the players union, didn't think anything was wrong with the comments.

"It's somebody's opinion," Bernazard said. "I don't think anybody can accuse Dusty Baker of being a racist because Dusty Baker is not a racist."

Baker's comments were ripe fodder for the talk shows Monday. Some charged that a white manager would be under fire if he made similar statements.

"If a white manager made those statements, there's no question he would find himself in a group that includes Al Campanis and Jimmy 'The Greek' Snyder," Edwards said.

Baker, one of four African-Americans among seven minority managers in the major leagues, agrees. "But as a black manager, I can say things about blacks that a white manager can't say, and whites can say things about whites that blacks can't say."

Baker said he won't address the issue any further. "People have accused me of being sensitive, but maybe they're too sensitive," he said. "I'm not elaborating on it any more. End of topic. I said what I mean."

George Foster
10-16-2007, 12:46 AM
We hired a damn Dodger.....come on.....a damn Dodger. I'm a little old school. The NL west was our division, and the Dodgers were the enemy. God....not a freakin' Dodger.:thumbdown:thumbdown

ThirdBaseCoach
10-16-2007, 08:59 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariottiweb/603136,mariotti101407.article

interesting perspective.......draw your own conclusions from a writer who covered DB for four years.

redsfanmia
10-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Dusty is a reverse racist.

Horrible manager.

Not even likable.

I would have preferred Mackanin 10000x over Dusty.

By all accounts Dusty is one of the finest men and nicest guys to ever grace the game of baseball. He is such a horrible manager he has won over 1100 games and was named manager of the year 3 times. Dont condemn the man just yet.

sig
10-19-2007, 02:10 AM
I voted yes. I think the Reds could of done a lot worse. I hate the Cubs and that is probably the only reason I find it hard to get excited about his hiring. It was obvious that the Larussa and Torre thing was gonna drag on. I liked Dusty in San Francisco.

I was hoping for Trey Hillman who has a solid winning record in the Yanks farm system and also in Japan. He was almost hired by the Rangers last year. Hillman is now being mentioned as a possible replacement for Torre and is also talking with the Royals.

BurgervilleBuck
10-23-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm happy with it. I am thinking wait and see but, oh heck, I think I'd much rather have DB in there than most anyone else.

Torre wasn't going to happen. Larussa wasn't going to happen. Why not go for the biggest name left?

WMR
10-23-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm happy with it. I am thinking wait and see but, oh heck, I think I'd much rather have DB in there than most anyone else.

Torre wasn't going to happen. Larussa wasn't going to happen. Why not go for the biggest name left?

That's the thinking that landed us Eric Milton.

AmarilloRed
10-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Joe Torre is at present unemployed, and he said he would to be open to taking everyone's calls. We could have hired Joe Torre with a little time, a little patience, and a little money. It seems Krivsky and Castellini were convinced that Dusty was the man after one interview,though. We will see what happens.

BurgervilleBuck
10-24-2007, 03:25 PM
That's the thinking that landed us Eric Milton.
I think I would much rather see the results on the field before lambasting Baker's hiring.

Most fans' reaction to DB is reminding me of that scene in Blazing Saddles when Sheriff Bart first rides into Rock Ridge.

timbok
10-24-2007, 03:58 PM
I think this is a good move.
He did well with San Fran. and OK with Chicago

AmarilloRed
10-24-2007, 07:24 PM

Don't tell anyone in Chicago that.:D

redsfan1966
10-24-2007, 08:30 PM
I too was against the hire intially--but voted wait and see. What the heck..my vote isnt changing anything. I dont know why we had to rush into a hire. As far as Brenneman and Brantley supporting the hire--lets see how long that lasts--when Dusty lashes back at the first criticism the b and b boys fire at him..

redsfanmia
10-25-2007, 05:28 PM
Don't tell anyone in Chicago that.:D

He did lead them to the NLCS. I think if he leads us to the NLCS his tenure would be deemed a success.

nyjwagner
10-25-2007, 06:00 PM
I had mixed emotions about the hiring at first, but I think that the one thing for sure is that Dusty will serve to keep the admin honest, because if they continue to tell us they are committed to winning, and fail to make possible moves for the purpose, Dusty will not keep quiet about it. The other thing that occurs to me, is that its a cheaper way to tell the baseball world the Reds are serious about winning then say giving Gil Meche $15 million. Now the Reds can bring in quality smaller names that might have more value.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-26-2007, 02:59 PM

you obviously did not see his wake of devastation in Chicago.......

ThirdBaseCoach
10-26-2007, 03:00 PM
He did lead them to the NLCS. I think if he leads us to the NLCS his tenure would be deemed a success.

He inherited that team and took it to the cellar in four years.

BurgervilleBuck
10-26-2007, 03:25 PM
I would like to see a non-biased assessment of Baker's time in Chicago. One side says he played only vets and blew out pitchers' arms. The other side said that ownership didn't do much to help him and that the pitchers in question were injury-prone to begin with.

Is there someone out there who can give an unjaundiced view that isn't cheerleading or dung slinging?

Degenerate39
10-26-2007, 05:10 PM
He inherited that team and took it to the cellar in four years.

You say that like its a bad thing he took the Cubs to the cellar :D

ThirdBaseCoach
10-26-2007, 06:20 PM
You say that like its a bad thing he took the Cubs to the cellar :D

youdaman, bro.

AmarilloRed
10-27-2007, 02:09 AM
He might very well do the same thing for the Reds-lead them to the cellar of the NL Central. I hope he will lead us to the Promised Land, however.