PDA

View Full Version : Mama Carlson Passes Away

RBA
10-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Carol Bruce, 87; singer, actress had role in 'WKRP in Cincinnati'

Carol Bruce, 87, a versatile actress and singer who appeared in Broadway musicals, film and television, most notably as Mama Carlson on the sitcom "WKRP in Cincinnati," died Tuesday of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease at the Motion Picture & Television Country House and Hospital in Woodland Hills, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Born Shirley Levy in Great Neck, N.Y., on Nov. 15, 1919, she began her career singing at a nightclub in Montreal in 1937. Her deep, sultry singing voice got her roles in stage musicals, and she made her Broadway debut as Carol Bruce in 1940 in the musical comedy "Louisiana Purchase."

She signed a contract with Universal Studios, making three films between 1941 and 1942 -- "This Woman Is Mine," "Keep 'em Flying" and "Behind the Eight Ball" -- before returning to the stage.

Bruce received critical praise for Broadway performances in a 1946 revival of "Showboat" (as Julie), the 1949 musical revue "Along Fifth Avenue" and the 1965 musical "Do I Hear a Waltz?"

Though she concentrated on stage roles for the next few decades, she had a few television appearances in the early 1950s and small film roles in the 1980s.

In 1979 she took over the role that Sylvia Sidney had originated on "WKRP in Cincinnati" a year earlier as Mama Carlson, the tough-talking owner of a radio station managed by her son Arthur, played by Gordon Jump. Bruce kept the recurring role until the series ended in 1982. Throughout the 1980s and '90s she made guest appearances in network TV series.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-passings14oct14,1,5650179.story?coll=la-news-obituaries&ctrack=1&cset=true

RedR8R
10-16-2007, 04:37 PM
87, hmmm, really makes you think. Seriously, what a great show. I bought my old man the first season of WKRP for his birthday and he watches the crap out of it. They just don't make shows like that anymore. Just got one word....BOOOOOOGER

jmac
10-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Sad to hear. Is the rest of the regulars still alive (except Gordon Jump) ?
I seen Howard Hessman on a special last year and he looked alot different than I remember him.

RichRed
10-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Sad to hear. Is the rest of the regulars still alive (except Gordon Jump) ?
I seen Howard Hessman on a special last year and he looked alot different than I remember him.

I believe they're all alive except for Big Guy. Howard Hesseman appeared on the short-lived show "John from Cincinnati" and I was shocked by how old he looked. Then again, the guy is 67 now.

timmario66
10-17-2007, 02:08 PM
I believe they're all alive except for Big Guy. Howard Hesseman appeared on the short-lived show "John from Cincinnati" and I was shocked by how old he looked. Then again, the guy is 67 now.

HH was also on ER a couple of episodes ago too. I agree he's looking old now.

jmac
10-17-2007, 10:44 PM

I seen him in a christmas movie last year on tv. Dont know the year made though.

RBA
10-18-2007, 11:07 AM
I think he was in a few episodes of HBO's John From Cincinnati. I think he was suppose to be the "old wise surfer". Series looks dead in the water; WIPEOUT!