PDA

View Full Version : Will the Patriots go 16-0?

MWM
10-14-2007, 08:30 PM
I can't believe I'm even askin the question. I've always been of the belief that it's virtually impossible to run the table in the NFL. In all my years of following pro football, only two other times did I think a team was capable going undefeated;the 1985 Bears, and the 1994 49ers. the 49ers lost the second game of the year to put that to rest, and the Bears lost in a fluky Monday night game (tha '85 Bears team is still the best team I've ever seen).

But this year's Patriots look unstoppable. I think they're that much better than anyone else, that if they decide that they want to go undefeated, I don't see how anyone can beat them. They clearly have the best offense, and they might have the best defense.

This is as dominant a team as I've seen since 1985.

If they didn't play in a division they're going to clinch by week 10, I might say they'd do it. But they're going to be on cruise control the last few weeks of the season. That might be the only way they lose.

Oxilon
10-14-2007, 08:47 PM
If they truly wanted to go undeafted, they could. But as you said, they'll have the bye and home field clinched by Week 13, allowing them to rest all of their starters before the playoffs.

KronoRed
10-14-2007, 08:58 PM
I'd love to see it but I doubt it'l happen, 14-2 and a super bowl championship

NJReds
10-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Best team I've seen in a long time. They pushed a pretty good Dallas team all over the field. Maybe on a good day, Indy can beat them in a shootout.

guttle11
10-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Barring injuries, I think only INDY can beat them if they play well. Get through that game, and it'll be all about execution.

I don't think they will, but they appear to be the best team the NFL has seen since the Cowboys back in the early-mid 90s.

Reds Fanatic
10-14-2007, 09:52 PM
The only team I see that even has a chance to beat them is Indianapolis. That game is November 4th. If they get past Indy I think they will go undefeated.

redsfan30
10-14-2007, 09:58 PM
"Great" is a word that gets thrown around way too much, but they are a truely great team.

HumnHilghtFreel
10-14-2007, 10:06 PM
As a Cowboys fan, I assumed they would put up some points against our secondary, but wow... they just moved the ball at will. I'm not even sure that they really need a good running back to destroy teams as long as that line holds up.

GoReds33
10-14-2007, 10:20 PM
"Great" is a word that gets thrown around way too much, but they are a truely great team.Exactly. I can't stand when people call something that is average or above average great. The Patriots are truely a great team. I think that if they want to they can easily go 16 and 0. Will they? Probably not. They will clinch in a few weeks, and they won't have anything more to play for.:)

cincinnati chili
10-14-2007, 11:06 PM
I want those smug, retired Dolphins from the 70's to be alive when somebody breaks their record.

It would be most satifying if it were a completely unclassy undisciplined group, just to get Bob Griese's panties in a bunch.

The Patriots are generally classy and disciplined, but I'll take it.

WMR
10-15-2007, 12:31 AM
I want those smug, retired Dolphins from the 70's to be alive when somebody breaks their record.

It would be most satifying if it were a completely unclassy undisciplined group, just to get Bob Griese's panties in a bunch.

The Patriots are generally classy and disciplined, but I'll take it.

That's exactly the group I think about whenever this comes up...

they still send a case of champagne to the last team to lose their undefeated status each season. Lame.

M2
10-15-2007, 12:59 AM
The whole Videogate incident may have provided the fuel the Pats need to go for 16-0.

Cedric
10-15-2007, 01:16 AM
God help us if they do. We already know that the only games played in the United States involve Boston or New York teams. I just can't wait for the Ortiz steroid information to officially leak so that cities one non NBA/NFL title is incredibly tainted. Can't wait.

Screwball
10-15-2007, 01:20 AM
The Patriots have no weaknesses. None. They're excellent on both lines, QB, skill positions, special teams - both coverage and returns, intangibles (leadership, cohesion, discipline), LB corps, secondary, defensive scheming, and perhaps most importantly, coaching. In today's NFL, that's pretty much unheard of. Scary too.

But will they go 16-0? Well, in addition to the aforementioned Colts game and possible starters-getting-rest-in-preparation-for-playoffs games against the Dolphins (wk 16) and Giants (wk 17), there's also the Steelers matchup. The Steelers play excellent defense (especially against the run), and actually have the personnel and defensive scheming to take away or, more likely, contain the Patriots' best player - Tom Brady. If they can neutralize him while stopping the run as they traditionally do, then Ben, Willie Parker and the offensive line may be able to muster just enough offense to steal one away. It'd be no easy task, but I think the Steelers (who I despise with a passion) actually have as good a shot as anybody.

Cedric
10-15-2007, 01:26 AM
The Patriots have no weaknesses. None. They're excellent on both lines, QB, skill positions, special teams - both coverage and returns, intangibles (leadership, cohesion, discipline), LB corps, secondary, defensive scheming, and perhaps most importantly, coaching. In today's NFL, that's pretty much unheard of. Scary too.

But will they go 16-0? Well, in addition to the aforementioned Colts game and possible starters-getting-rest-in-preparation-for-playoffs games against the Dolphins (wk 16) and Giants (wk 17), there's also the Steelers matchup. The Steelers play excellent defense (especially against the run), and actually have the personnel and defensive scheming to take away or, more likely, contain the Patriots' best player - Tom Brady. If they can neutralize him while stopping the run as they traditionally do, then Ben, Willie Parker and the offensive line may be able to muster just enough offense to steal one away. It'd be no easy task, but I think the Steelers (who I despise with a passion) actually have as good a shot as anybody.

Football is such a simple game. Great post. If you get in the face of any Qb consistently you can win any game. They will lose when that happens. Problem is they have such an amazing pass blocking line and efficient play calling. They don't allow Brady the chance to make mistakes like any Qb would. He's a HOF no doubt. But he's also playing in a bubble like I've never seen before.

If you gave Carson that bubble we'd see the same damn thing. Just sad our coach makes the game WAY WAY too complicated.

Razor Shines
10-15-2007, 06:54 AM
If they truly wanted to go undeafted, they could. But as you said, they'll have the bye and home field clinched by Week 13, allowing them to rest all of their starters before the playoffs.

I don't think they'll have it wrapped up by week 13. If the Colts lose to the Pats, I think that will probably be their only loss. That will probably force the Pats to have to win all the way up to the last week of the season, then they may rest their starters. But who knows you could be right.

Danny Serafini
10-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Nobody is going 16-0, I don't care who they are. It's just too difficult to go through an entire season without having an off week, or catching a team that goes nuts that week. All of this media talk about going undefeated when there's still 10 games left is just silly. Come back to me if they've gone through 12 games undefeated, then there might be something to talk about.

stevekun
10-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Who cares about an undefeated season....I only care to see someone go winless...that would be great...my main candidate this year is St Louis

Dom Heffner
10-15-2007, 06:43 PM
I just can't wait for the Ortiz steroid information to officially leak so that cities one non NBA/NFL title is incredibly tainted. Can't wait.

If the Red Sox were the only team to have such a guy, it would be a different story, but everybody is going to have one of those guys. Everyone.

GoReds33
10-15-2007, 06:52 PM
If the Red Sox were the only team to have such a guy, it would be a different story, but everybody is going to have one of those guys. Everyone.I hope not. I have some suspicions though. I know of one former Red that I really think will be on that list. I'm not going to name names though, since I don't know. I'm just going on hunches so far. I can't wait for this report. Then it will either justify, or shoot down my suspicious.:)

RedR8R
10-15-2007, 06:53 PM
I definitely like their chances. Everyone in Indy thinks the Colts will beat them, but the only way that happens is if they play their best game. If the Colts can find a way to keep scoring and hold the Pats to a couple of field goals they'll have a shot. However, in the playoffs, I don't see anybody beating the Hoodie. It kills to me to have to admit the Pats are good, after they got caught cheating and got slapped on the wrist. I'm sure they'll miss that first round draft pick.

kaldaniels
10-15-2007, 08:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/bostonblog/071015

An article there about the Pats running up the score with garbage time TD's....is it wrong for me to serioulsy root for an injury during the "eff you" TD drive???

Razor Shines
10-15-2007, 09:47 PM

An article there about the Pats running up the score with garbage time TD's....is it wrong for me to serioulsy root for an injury during the "eff you" TD drive???

I don't think they passed one time in that last drive. And the running was done by the 3rd string back, Eckles. As for going for it on 4 and 1, I don't think that was so much running up the score as it was getting Eckles his first career TD, and rewarding him for how well he'd done throughout that drive.

Here's this writer's "proof" that the Pats are running up the score:

Week 1 at New York Jets (38-14): 1-yard TD by Heath Evans, 1:58 left.

Week 2 vs. San Diego (38-14): 3-yard TD by Sammy Morris, 3:18 left.

Week 3 vs. Buffalo (38-7): 45-yard TD catch by Randy Moss, 10:22 left.

Week 4 at Cincy (34-17): 14-yard TD catch by Randy Moss, 3:18 left.

Week 5 vs. Cleveland (34-17): 15-yard fumble return TD by Randall Gay, 0:42 left.

(Important note: This came one play after the Pats failed to convert the "Eff You TD" on fourth-and-goal from Cleveland's 4 when Brady just missed Kyle Brady in the end zone.)

Week 6 vs. Dallas (48-27): 1-yard TD run by Kyle Eckles, 0:19 left.

Most of them seem more like putting the game out of reach rather than "running up the score". One is a fumble return, yeah try telling a defender not to run back a fumble when he has a chance to score. Another is a TD with 10:22 left in the game. How is that considered running up the score? I think most teams would have done what the Pats did in most of those occasions. And I don't like the Pats at all.

KronoRed
10-15-2007, 10:29 PM
It's the other teams job to stop the scoring, never had a problem with teams "running it up"

WMR
10-15-2007, 10:43 PM
It's the other teams job to stop the scoring, never had a problem with teams "running it up"

Typical Florida fan.

KronoRed
10-15-2007, 11:03 PM
Typical Florida fan.

As a Bengal fan, would you be opposed to the 3rd string QB throwing a TD vs say..the Browns for Steelers? ;)

WMR
10-16-2007, 03:13 AM
:lol: Now that's a horse of a different color. ;)

blumj
10-16-2007, 03:25 AM

I don't know. Are you so powerful that you can cause an injury by rooting for one? If you really believed you were, then I guess it would be wrong.

HumnHilghtFreel
10-16-2007, 08:50 AM

I agree with that. As a Cowboys fan, it annoyed me to see them punch in the "death blow" with under 20 seconds left in the game. However, had the roles been reversed, I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

Is it bad gamesmanship? Possibly, but it's your own fault for letting them score.

blumj
10-16-2007, 09:31 AM
If it's really an "eff you", I can't wait to see the score the next time they play the Jets.

Roy Tucker
10-16-2007, 09:38 AM
I could see the Patriots going 16-0 if they made that a goal of the team.

But if they clinch with a couple weeks left, I would think resting the regulars and getting healthy for the playoffs would be more important.

It would be a little silly to burn out the team making a meaningless run at 16-0 and fail in the playoffs.

Unassisted
10-16-2007, 10:04 AM
That's exactly the group I think about whenever this comes up...

they still send a case of champagne to the last team to lose their undefeated status each season. Lame.

Send a case of champagne? The way I understand it, the members of that team just meet to drink a champagne toast when the last undefeated team finally loses. Sending a case of champagne sounds more like the kind of in-your-face gesture that a modern player would do.

Nick Buoniconti's entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Buoniconti) at Wikipedia agrees with me.

blumj
10-16-2007, 11:14 AM
I could see the Patriots going 16-0 if they made that a goal of the team.

But if they clinch with a couple weeks left, I would think resting the regulars and getting healthy for the playoffs would be more important.

It would be a little silly to burn out the team making a meaningless run at 16-0 and fail in the playoffs.
Their last 3 games are: at home against the Jets, who they are absolutely going to want to demolish, at home against the Dolphins, who look to be really terrible as of now, and at the Giants. So it could come down to whether or not the Giants have anything left to play for, if it gets that far.

joshnky
10-16-2007, 01:10 PM

Bill Simmons is an incredibly irritating Boston homer. It seems like the only teams he ever writes about are his hometown Pats, Sox, and Celtics. Looking through the list that provides "evidence" of the "supposed" eff you drives, only two could possibly be considered running up the score and they both involved back up running backs pounding the ball the length of the field. I know a lot of fans hate the Pats but this is much ado about nothing.

Even if Simmons is right about this (doubtful), I still enjoy the fact that the Pats are able to methodically shove their supremacy in the face of a league who hung them out to dry over a film scandal that many have admitted goes far beyond the Pats and even beyond the NFL.

jmac
10-16-2007, 07:32 PM
I agree with that. As a Cowboys fan, it annoyed me to see them punch in the "death blow" with under 20 seconds left in the game. However, had the roles been reversed, I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

Is it bad gamesmanship? Possibly, but it's your own fault for letting them score.

A couple of years ago the UK-UofL rivalry heated up more because of Petrino "running" up the score as some say late in the game.
UK fans (which I am a big one) complained for the most part. Then the following year, Petrino had them take a knee which to me was more embarrassing.
Play them and stop them on defense. Earlier this season UK was way ahead early in the 4th quarter and they pulled Woodson. Uk then proceeds to run like 7 plays in a row. I told a friend, I know they are trying to not run it up but how is your backup QB gonna stay sharp unless he throws some. He doesnt have to throw a 50 yard out pattern but my goodness , let him throw some screens or dump offs just to give a little confidence.
As far as Pats ? I think putting them in a 5 game series with Colts would draw the ratings. The only team I think has a chance to hang with the Pats right now besides Colts is possibly SD as they look like they "may" be turning things around.

NJReds
10-17-2007, 10:26 AM
As a Cowboys fan, I was ticked when the Pats scored that last TD. But looking back, if the Cowboys hadn't called timeout after the first play on that very short drive (following Romo's INT), then the Pats would have run the clock out.

Fullboat
10-18-2007, 11:15 PM
As a Pats fan(since 85),I don't think they will go undefeated. Indy could
be a loss and believe it or not Washington.

AmarilloRed
10-19-2007, 12:44 AM
I remember when Indianapolis was undefeated pretty far into the season and they clinched home field advantage. They immediate put in all their backups, and they did not finish undefeated. The real test is if when they do clinch HFA(and they will), do they do the same thing or do they play all the games. They are simply dominating right now , and it is hard to see any team beating them right now.

Cedric
10-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Wouldn't be surprised, but wouldn't expect to see Dolphins beat the Patriots this weekend. Jason Taylor has his most sacks against Patriots against any team and nobody expects them to compete. The best way to beat New England is to run right at them and force Brady out of his bubble. Once you rattle him he can make major mistakes. I expect Miami to lose though because Cleo Lemon just doesn't scare me.

I know Miami has played terrible overall on defense also. I just wanna see if Taylor can get into that bubble and force a turnover or two. Probably not enough.

joshnky
10-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Don Shula had this to say when asked whether a potentially undefeated Pats team would be tainted by "videogate":

"Well it would have to be," Shula said. "That's not going to ever go away (the videotaping scandal). That's going to be talked about forever. They were fined $500,000 right? They lost how many draft picks? That tells you about the seriousness of what they did."

I realize that if the Pats do near the end of the season this question will be tossed around by the many so-called pundits but this is ridiculous. Videogate is not helping the Pats win this season because they were caught and its doubtful that they are brazen enough to continue with this after the stiff penalty they received. Combine that with the fact that other teams are likely more careful in disguising their signs, etc. and the "supposed" advantage is non-existent. Regardless of whether you feel that this gained the Pats a significant advantage in past years its not creating that advantage this year. I hope the Pats or someone goes undefeated to shut up Shula and his increasingly irritating Dolphins team.

MWM
10-21-2007, 03:09 PM
They're now up 35-7 halfway though the second quarter in Miami. Brady is 11/11 with 220 yards and 4 TDs.

Sick. That's all there is to it. This is one sick team.

CTA513
10-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Brady today: 21/25 for 354 yards and 6 TDs

:eek:

dougdirt
10-21-2007, 04:54 PM
boo to Belichek. Up 42-21 and you bring your starter back in after having the back up in, in the 4th quarter and you throw a TD pass? I have Brady on my FF team, but come on. run the ball.

redsfanmia
10-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Let the Pats beat the Colts who have owned them the last 3 years and then start talking about 16-0.

blumj
10-22-2007, 02:40 PM
boo to Belichek. Up 42-21 and you bring your starter back in after having the back up in, in the 4th quarter and you throw a TD pass? I have Brady on my FF team, but come on. run the ball.
The Dolphins had just scored 14 pts. in the previous 5 seconds. And they haven't been able to run the ball effectively since Morris got hurt. I've seen way to many bad things happen to the Pats in Miami to feel even the least bit bad about that.

KronoRed
10-22-2007, 02:45 PM
I don't mind them still scoring TD's, anyone see the Houston/Tennessee game?

RichRed
10-22-2007, 02:48 PM
I wish Joe Gibbs had the killer instinct Belichick has. Skins almost gave the game away to the Cardinals yesterday after 14-0 and 21-6 leads.

The great teams go for the throat while pretenders curl up in a ball and hope for the best.

I don't know if the Pats will go undefeated but I don't see the Redskins stopping their roll next week.

joshnky
10-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Let the Pats beat the Colts who have owned them the last 3 years and then start talking about 16-0.

Are you serious? The past three seasons the series is 3-2 in favor of the Colts. The Colts have won the last 3 but I think this is a different Patriots team both offensively and defensively. I agree that is the big game but the Colts have certainly not owned the Pats.

blumj
10-22-2007, 03:14 PM
It's the past 2 years that the Pats haven't been able to beat the Colts. I don't think the Pats defense is much different than it has been, but their offense very much is. Moss is just ridiculous. He changes everything.

joshnky
10-22-2007, 04:24 PM
It's the past 2 years that the Pats haven't been able to beat the Colts. I don't think the Pats defense is much different than it has been, but their offense very much is. Moss is just ridiculous. He changes everything.

The defense is much healthier this year and they added Adalius Thomas. Brushi and Harrison are key players who have missed time the past two years but are healthy now.

redsfanmia
10-22-2007, 04:57 PM
I was thinking the Colts had won 4 straight in the series but I obviously was wrong. If you want to crown them then crown their *** but I wont crown them until they beat the Colts.

blumj
10-22-2007, 06:52 PM
The defense is much healthier this year and they added Adalius Thomas. Brushi and Harrison are key players who have missed time the past two years but are healthy now.
They're still missing Seymour, though.