PDA

View Full Version : Sampson at it again

TeamSelig
10-15-2007, 04:14 AM
Loses a 500k raise and a scholarship.

Can't help but laugh, although I'll have to admit that I might feel just a little bad for IU fans.....

Nah, who am I kidding?

Will he ever learn?

Razor Shines
10-15-2007, 06:10 AM
Yeah it was pretty stupid of him. And just when I was starting to get past the fact that he was a cheater.
Here's the story:

IU fines, punishes Sampson for illegal calls
By Terry Hutchens
terry.hutchens@indystar.com
October 14, 2007

Indiana University announced today that basketball coach Kelvin Sampson is being fined and punished for participating in phone conversations to recruits during the time the NCAA prohibited him from doing so.

Sampson will lose $500,000, a scholarship for next season and the use of one of his assistants on the road for recruiting.
IU athletic director Rick Greenspan said a two-month review determined that on approximately 10 occasions, an assistant coach initiated three-way calls that connected Sampson into an on-going recruiting conversation with prospective student-athletes, their parents or coaches.

Greenspan said he convened with the school's senior administrators before punishing Sampson. He said the coach's missteps did not warrant Sampson's dismissal.

"We considered all the facts," Greenspan said. "We determined these sanctions are significant and severe and appropriate."

The NCAA likely will weigh in on the matter in the next few days.

Sampson came to Indiana under NCAA sanctions for a large number of illegal phone calls to recruits while he was the coach at the University of Oklahoma through the 2005-06 season. He was not allowed to recruit off campus or make phone calls to recruits from May 25, 2006-May 24, 2007.
"We determined that the impermissible calls occurred because some staff members did not fully comply with the sanctions they were operating under,’’ Greenspan said in a news release sent by the university. "We are addressing the problem, and we are voluntarily extending these limitations on recruiting for another season to ensure that the full effect of NCAA restrictions or recruiting is realized."
In the announcement, Greenspan revealed that Sampson has voluntarily agreed to forego a scheduled $500,000 raise for the 2007-08 season, and that assistant coach Rob Senderoff will be prohibited for a year from making recruiting phone calls and from recruiting off campus. In addition, Senderoff will not receive a bonus this season or a salary increase next year.
The university announced that Greenspan and Sampson will be available to the media through a teleconference at 1 p.m. today.

According to the press release, Greenspan commissioned the Collegiate Sports Practice of the Indianapolis law firm of Ice Miller to conduct a full and independent investigation. The results of that prompted Greenspan to take the actions that were announced today.
The review found that of all the recruiting calls made during the year, the majority of those that were found to be contrary of the sanctions were made by Senderoff. Only two calls were attributed to Sampson.
“Those were just a small fraction of the thousands of allowable phone calls that were made and received during this time,”Greenspan said. “However, Indiana University expects full and complete compliance with all NCAA rules and sanctions. That is why I am imposing a new round of recruiting restrictions and sanctions on Coach Sampson and his staff. I want to send a strong message that nothing less than complete compliance with the NCAA is the standard by which we operate.”
This story will be updated.

WMR
10-15-2007, 10:56 AM
:lol:

BRM, where are ya buddy?

Muster up your courage and take your lumps like a good IU fan should. :laugh:

flyer85
10-15-2007, 12:58 PM
No one should be surprised. Indiana is getting what they wanted because they could have hired a any one of a bunch of guys not named Sampson.

BRM
10-15-2007, 01:17 PM
No one should be surprised. Indiana is getting what they wanted because they could have hired a any one of a bunch of guys not named Sampson.

I agree completely. I was angry when they hired him in the first place and this certainly isn't changing my feelings.

flyer85
10-15-2007, 01:22 PM
I agree completely. I was angry when they hired him in the first place and this certainly isn't changing my feelings.
I am not an IU fan and I was was stunned when they hired Sampson, absolutely floored. I thought there were a number of better choices who didn't have any baggage.

Chip R
10-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Someone needs to take Kelvin's phone privliges away from him.

BRM
10-15-2007, 01:27 PM
I am not an IU fan and I was was stunned when they hired Sampson, absolutely floored. I thought there were a number of better choices who didn't have any baggage.

I agree again. I fell out of my chair when Sampson was hired.

Strikes Out Looking
10-15-2007, 04:05 PM
I agree again. I fell out of my chair when Sampson was hired.

Well at least he didn't throw it.

BRM
10-15-2007, 04:06 PM

I wish IU would throw it...with Sampson in it.

Razor Shines
10-15-2007, 06:00 PM

I'd take the guy who threw chairs any day over this cheater.

GoReds33
10-15-2007, 08:57 PM
I don't understand why he can't just follow the rules. They are pretty straight forward. Besides, all of this cheating hasn't really gotten him that good of recruits anyway. Maybe he should wait until he is coaching a powerhouse school to cheat. It's not worth it at Indiana.

Blimpie
10-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Fool me once, shame on you....blah, blah, blah.

Don't worry Indiana fans, Kelvin will just blame this on his rogue assistants. Again.

WVRed
10-15-2007, 09:55 PM
Sad thing is, Billy Gillispie has been in trouble in the past for the same thing more or less.

Even though I am a Kentucky fan, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Reds4Life
10-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Sampson is a scumbag, he will have IU on probation in no time.

Razor Shines
10-16-2007, 12:27 AM
I don't understand why he can't just follow the rules. They are pretty straight forward. Besides, all of this cheating hasn't really gotten him that good of recruits anyway. Maybe he should wait until he is coaching a powerhouse school to cheat. It's not worth it at Indiana.

He did get that Eric Gordon kid, the #2 prospect in the nation might be considered somewhat of a "good recruit". And has the 9th best recruiting class in the country.

Also I don't know how Indiana is not considered a power house. They're in a bad stretch right now, but most schools, even great schools, go through those stretches.

Blimpie
10-16-2007, 07:42 AM
Sad thing is, Billy Gillispie has been in trouble in the past for the same thing more or less.

Even though I am a Kentucky fan, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.There you go, being all 'logical' and stuff...

;)

SunDeck
10-16-2007, 08:18 AM
Scumbag? No.
But he's starting to look a little on the slimy side.

The explanation is almost funny- over zealous assistant coach takes the fall; Sampson was unaware, clueless that he was violating the sanctions.

I don't know of many fans here in Bloomington who were surprised by this news. It's not like they weren't aware of his track record. To me it seems that people were so eager to be rid of the inept and inert Mike Davis that they were willing to accept the dubious history attached to Sampson. Yesterday's news was only a confirmation of the fears they have had that Sampson's real colors were not showing.

WVRed
10-16-2007, 08:44 AM
On a side note, one of his top recruits was picked up for cocaine earlier this month.

SunDeck
10-16-2007, 08:57 AM
On a side note, one of his top recruits was picked up for cocaine earlier this month.

Yeah, and I have been surprised by how quiet people have been about it. It seems like IU fans have been wincing, waiting for more stuff to come out.

Nevertheless, as to the recruit (Bud Mackey), he was highly sought after. If it hadn't been IU he's embarrassing, it would have been some other "elite" program.

Chip R
10-16-2007, 09:35 AM

Even though I am a Kentucky fan, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I'm no Kentucky fan but Sampson got in trouble in Oklahoma for the same thing he did at Indiana. If I were IU's AD - well, I wouldn't have hired him in the first place - but I'd seriously think about firing him.

BRM
10-16-2007, 10:02 AM
I'd take the guy who threw chairs any day over this cheater.

Amen to that.

WMR
10-16-2007, 01:41 PM

That guy is from my hometown--Georgetown--and goes to my old high school (Scott County).

This is a such a huge story in my hometown... Scott co. won the Boys BBall Sweet 16 last year and basketball is so big in my county it's not even funny...

Bud was the leading candidate to win this year's Mr. Basketball... he went right on by Rick Jones (Dabvu will remember that name, surely) and set the bar for screwing up quite high.

He was charged with felony distribution of a class I controlled substance AS WELL AS distributing a class I drug on school grounds. He is in BIG BIG BIG trouble.

WMR
10-16-2007, 01:43 PM
There you go, being all 'logical' and stuff...

;)

C'mon now, UK fans aren't required to be logical when we're talking about IU. ;)

dabvu2498
10-16-2007, 01:43 PM
he went right on by Rick Jones (Dabvu will remember that name, surely)

Do I have to?

WMR
10-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Do I have to?

:laugh:

Nah.

Man that boy could play some high school basketball though. He was an amazing high school player.

Think about Scott Hundley instead.

BRM
10-16-2007, 01:45 PM
C'mon now, UK fans aren't logical. ;)

Fixed that for ya. ;)

WMR
10-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Fixed that for ya. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You told me a couple months ago that you were going to be monitoring Kelvin's phone call privileges!

Wha' happened?!?!

BRM
10-16-2007, 01:49 PM
You told me a couple months ago that you were going to be monitoring Kelvin's phone call privileges!

Wha' happened?!?!

He's too sneaky. You have to be able to think like a criminal in order to follow one. I guess I just don't have a criminal mind.

WMR
10-16-2007, 01:51 PM
He's too sneaky. You have to be able to think like a criminal in order to follow one. I guess I just don't have a criminal mind.

How much have you heard about Bud Mackey so far? (interested to hear how much of this situation has filtered down to Indiana fans so far)

dabvu2498
10-16-2007, 01:53 PM
:laugh:

Nah.

Man that boy could play some high school basketball though. He was an amazing high school player.

Think about Scott Hundley instead.

Yeah, my Dores went 0-2 on Ky. Mr. Basketball's from Scott County. I was glad to hear they weren't recruiting Mr. Mackey.

At least they got Neltner right. And Scott Draud... http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE7D8143FF93BA15752C0A96E9482 60

WMR
10-16-2007, 01:54 PM
You didn't like Hundley? He won 6th man of the year his senior season at Vandy... he was instrumental in you guys beating UK his senior year.

BRM
10-16-2007, 01:55 PM
How much have you heard about Bud Mackey so far? (interested to hear how much of this situation has filtered down to Indiana fans so far)

I haven't heard much but I live quite a ways from the Hoosier State. A buddy sent me a news article about the arrest but that's been it so far.

WMR
10-16-2007, 01:56 PM
I haven't heard much but I live quite a ways from the Hoosier State. A buddy sent me a news article about the arrest but that's been it so far.

Razor please chime in whenever you read this.

BRM
10-16-2007, 01:58 PM
I would imagine Hoosier fans back in that area are talking quite a bit about Mackey and Sampson this week.

dabvu2498
10-16-2007, 02:00 PM
You didn't like Hundley? He won 6th man of the year his senior season at Vandy... he was instrumental in you guys beating UK his senior year.

He was alright. Never lived up to the hype in my mind.

At least Hundley was a decent citizen, too.

WMR
10-16-2007, 02:03 PM
He was alright. Never lived up to the hype in my mind.

At least Hundley was a decent citizen, too.

Yeah, I'm surely a little biased, he was a good friend of mine in high school... still friendly with him to this day. Took him frog gigging. haha.

He didn't really have the level of athleticism to be a star in the SEC. He was a very "heady" ballplayer, though.

SunDeck
10-16-2007, 02:06 PM
He was charged with felony distribution of a class I controlled substance AS WELL AS distributing a class I drug on school grounds. He is in BIG BIG BIG trouble.

The paper in Bloomington ran an article about it today. The police there speculated that he was more of a mule than a dealer. If that is the case he may have a chance to cooperate and help himself out.

WMR
10-16-2007, 02:08 PM
The paper in Bloomington ran an article about it today. The police there speculated that he was more of a mule than a dealer. If that is the case he may have a chance to cooperate and help himself out.

For his sake, I hope that is true.

WMR
10-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Does he still have the scholarhip to IU? I can't imagine them letting him come there if he gets in trouble from this situation? Especially with all this other stuff going on... but then again, Sampson has already basically thumbed his nose at the AD and the IU administration...

RedR8R
10-16-2007, 02:22 PM
From what I understand, the Mackey scholarship will be pulled if it hasn't already and that scholarship will be the one that is lost next season due to the latest sampsons, err, sanctions. I've been an IU fan forever and I'm proud of the outrage my fellow fans have been exuding, showing that we prefer to win without controversy and scandal. Majority of the fans are calling for Sanctions, err, Sampson to be dismissed. I said when he was hired he would turn the university into a laughing stock and that's exactly what has happened, in a lot shorter time span than I expected.

WMR
10-16-2007, 02:37 PM
From what I understand, the Mackey scholarship will be pulled if it hasn't already and that scholarship will be the one that is lost next season due to the latest sampsons, err, sanctions. I've been an IU fan forever and I'm proud of the outrage my fellow fans have been exuding, showing that we prefer to win without controversy and scandal. Majority of the fans are calling for Sanctions, err, Sampson to be dismissed. I said when he was hired he would turn the university into a laughing stock and that's exactly what has happened, in a lot shorter time span than I expected.

Nice post, RedR8R, thanks for the info.

Razor Shines
10-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Razor please chime in whenever you read this.

It's kind of odd. I read about it and heard it mentioned on the radio, but it's really not that big of a deal around here. I do know that there were some people that wanted Sampson to pull the scholarship offer right away, but I think they were going to wait until after his court date, which is today. So yeah like RedR8R said he's pretty much done with IU.

SunDeck
10-16-2007, 04:14 PM
It's kind of odd. I read about it and heard it mentioned on the radio, but it's really not that big of a deal around here. I do know that there were some people that wanted Sampson to pull the scholarship offer right away, but I think they were going to wait until after his court date, which is today. So yeah like RedR8R said he's pretty much done with IU.

According to the paper this morning, Sampson withdrew the scholarship offer a few days after the arrest. Maybe it took that long because he wasn't allowed to call him.
And Mackey pleaded not guilty today.

Hoosier Red
10-16-2007, 06:49 PM
According to the paper this morning, Sampson withdrew the scholarship offer a few days after the arrest. Maybe it took that long because he wasn't allowed to call him.
And Mackey pleaded not guilty today.

As far as I have heard, Sampson pulled the offer right away or relatively quickly. Coaches are not allowed to comment publicly about recruits that have not signed, so he obviously couldn't publically state they had pulled the scholarship.

I'm pretty ambivalent about this, much like last year. More annoyed than anything else.

Just like last year, IU fan's will be outraged and demand Kelvin's head, until the first game of the season.

When that happens, I want to be on record saying I didn't care in the first place.

WVRed
10-16-2007, 10:14 PM
I will say one thing, if the Tubby change had been made a year sooner, we might have seen Darius Miller, Bud Mackey, and Scotty Hopson in Kentucky blue, regardless of who was coaching.

Playadlc
10-17-2007, 02:42 AM
Sampson let a lot of people down -- and he let them down hard. In the end, I don't think it's a fireable offense. But it's not absurd to think it. And I think it makes the leash he was on even shorter than it once was.

The only saving grace in this mess is how IU's AD Rick Greenspan handled this situation. I now have the knowledge that our Athletic Director is not only proactive on matters of compliance, he's also brutally honest, by the book, thorough, and fair. I can't imagine how he could have handled this matter any better than what he did.

redsfanmia
10-17-2007, 06:18 PM
I know I am late to the conversation but Sampson is an embarrassment to Indiana University and should be fired along with the AD who hired him ASAP.

BRM
10-18-2007, 10:02 AM
I know I am late to the conversation but Sampson is an embarrassment to Indiana University and should be fired along with the AD who hired him ASAP.

A friend of mine back there tells me this is the general sentiment around southern Indiana.

Casey
10-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Indiana knew exactly what they were getting when they hired this guy. No one should be surprised.

flyer85
10-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Sampson let a lot of people down -- and he let them down hard. In the end, I don't think it's a fireable offense. But it's not absurd to think it. And I think it makes the leash he was on even shorter than it once was.If ...
1) IU had not been an NCAA team last year
2) Sampson did not have a top recruiting class coming in
I am pretty sure that IU would have taken this opportunity to cut and run.

If you can recruit and win a lot of sleaziness will be tolerated.

durl
10-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Sampson let a lot of people down -- and he let them down hard. In the end, I don't think it's a fireable offense. But it's not absurd to think it. And I think it makes the leash he was on even shorter than it once was.

His leash should already be down to an inch long because of violations at his previous job. Since Sampson repeated the SAME violations that got him sanctioned at his previous school, the AD would be completely justified if he fired him immediately.

Triples
10-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Amen to that.

I'm a Purdue grad and for many years while traveling on business; I got asked just because I live in Indiana "what's up with Bobby Knight, why is he such a jerk (expletives deleted)? Now it's starting all over again, albeit a different reason, but I'm getting asked "What's with Sampson's cheating".

Frankly, I didn't and don't care for BK's attitude but I will give the guy credit that he never cheated; and I don't recall his assistants every having to take the fall for anything that happened in the IU Basketball program.

I would never say bring Bobby back, heaven forbid I would have to see his ranting and raving on the 10pm news again; but it could be that Sampson's spots aren't going to change either. The one thing that I believe can wreck a successful athletic program is a reputation for cheating. If you have a strong enough desire to remain clean you find a way to make sure everyone is. No excuses.

flyer85
10-18-2007, 11:10 AM
His leash should already be down to an inch long because of violations at his previous job. Since Sampson repeated the SAME violations that got him sanctioned at his previous school, the AD would be completely justified if he fired him immediately.... and he would have if he didn't think Sampson was going to produce consistently good teams.

flyer85
10-18-2007, 11:11 AM
The one thing that I believe can wreck a successful athletic program is a reputation for cheating. The one thing that will wreck a program is losing.

SunDeck
10-18-2007, 05:24 PM
The one thing that will wreck a program is losing.

Sadly, losing is probably worse than cheating in the eyes of the most influential fans- the ones who pony up the bucks to support the athletic programs.

flyer85
10-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Rob Senderoff has decided it is in his and Indiana University's best interests that he voluntarily resign," the school said in a statement.

Rarely in college athletics does the real person who is responsible take the fall.